Chapter 17

One Person

 

 

She heaved out a heavy sighed as soon as she stepped out of the café. Now that she had already told the manager about her resignation, the only thing left was to go to the motel where her father was staying and then, they will be off; back to their hometown.

Naeun was about to start on walking when the sound of screeching and piercing tires of a black car suddenly stopped besides her; making her flinched by the annoying sound the tires made.

The door opened and a man in a classic black suit came out from the car’s body, went towards to Naeun. She was in awe, seeing the man’s face looked rather feminine and had worn a friendly smile.

“You are miss Son Naeun, right?” he asked her, his voice was sweet and smooth like honey. Naeun nodded, though she felt a bit suspicious with this.

The man, still smiling, continued, “My name is Lee Sungjong and I need you to do me a favor by getting inside the car, please. Don’t worries, nothing bad will happen.”

The man, who said his name was Sungjong, held the door opened, waiting for Naeun to come inside. Naeun was hesitant whether to trust this man or not. To her, he seemed to be trustable with that feminine and angelic look but you know the saying; ‘Don’t judge a book by its cover’

After a while, Naeun finally decided to trust him and she went inside the car, didn’t forget to say her thanks as he closed the door for her.

“Where are we going?” Naeun asked, once he got into the car and the vehicle started to move.

“Oh, you will know. Seriously, you don’t have to worry! I could clearly see on your face that you’re worry about this. It’s really going to be alright – and fun even!” he replied. Sungjong had these comfortable and friendly atmosphere around him, so she didn’t get awkward and uncomfortable talking with him. In fact, she thought that they had become friends although they’ve just met in not more than 30 minutes ago.

 

 

The car came into a stop at a mansion; a huge, luxurious, grand mansion. She was in aghast and her jaws almost dropped to the floor once they both had step out from the car. Without wasting any time, Sungjong grabbed her hand and dragged her inside.

“Come on Naeun! We don’t have that much of time!” he said.

Although Naeun had no idea what he’s talking about, she still followed him until they were inside a room; a master bedroom she assumed as it was wide and big. Two maids were inside the room the moment they came in and Sungjong ushered the maids to get her ready.

Being in a confused and shocked situation, Naeun looked at him with a frown and he just smiled as he said, “No worries! Just enjoy your time getting pamper, okay!” after that, he left with a waved.

And there she was left in the room, letting herself getting pampered – like what he just said.

 

 

 After a few hours, she’s finally ready. Naeun was completely doll-up. She wore an elegant and beautiful cream strapless dress, showing her bare shoulder – with her hair in a slight wave and the hair gathered at the left side – her makeup was light and not over the top – which made her looked absolutely stunning and beautiful.

Sunjong came inside the room after knocking and was in awestruck the moment he saw Naeun.

“Oh my god, you look so beautiful!” he exclaimed, making her slightly embarrassed.

“Err Sungjong, is there any special event this evening?” She asked him as she had been curious ever since they got here.

Sungjong didn’t say anything but smile (he never got tired of smiling, didn’t he?)

“You’ll just wait and see,” he soon replied.

 

 

Stepping out from the room and went towards the garden behind the mansion (which Sungjong accompanied her until the entrance of the garden), Naeun was amaze and in awestruck. The garden was in a dome-shaped building and it was incredibly beautiful – with the orange-reddish sky as the background – a set of table with two chairs situated on the middle, surrounded by the many beautiful species of flowers – it was perfect, almost seemed like one of those in dramas.

As she was busy aweing and gaping, she didn’t realize the presence of a man behind her; as the man tapped her shoulder, making her turn around with a gasp of shocked.

“Myungsoo!” she shrieked in delight and he smiled; the sweet and gentleman kind of smile. L was wearing a classic black tux with his hair being spike up and he looked oh-so-perfectly handsome.

“You look beautiful,” he told her; his voice was deep and low, making her already blusher cheeks even redder. 

“T-Thank you. You too, look handsome,” she said, softly and she’s trying her best to avoid having eye contact with him as she felt shy. L felt his heart fluttered, hearing her said that.

 “Did you…do all of these?” she asked as her eyes scanning the whole garden. With a proud smile, he nodded.

“Though I have a little help from my friends; like Sungjong,”

Naeun giggled. “Yes, Sungjong, of course. He seems really friendly and comfortable to be with. I thought that we’ve been friends for years although we’ve just met today,”

L chuckled, hearing her talking cheerfully about Sungjong. And no, he didn’t felt jealous about it, in fact he liked it when she talked like that; she seemed like a cute kid.

“Okay, I could see that you are really fond on him. Now, let’s put that all aside and proceed with our evening,” he said oh-so-sweetly that could melt every girl’s heart instantly, including Naeun herself.

 

 

“Is this your house?” Naeun asked him. They were having dinner that time.

“Well, one of the many. My parents rarely stay here,” L explained. Naeun nodded in understanding and continued eating.

Once they had done eating dinner, the sky was already dark as well as the garden but soon, it was being lit up by the flame of the burning candles and some uninvited guest – the fireflies, had made the garden looked enchanted and magical.

Naeun looked around her, bemused with what was happening. L watched her face, glimmering in delight. Slowly, he stood up from his chair and went behind her (without her noticing). Naeun flinched when she felt a sudden cold pressure on her neck. Curious, she touched the thing around her neck and she was stunned.

“Myungsoo,” she whispered his name. The man behind her smiled and went besides her, kneeling on the ground.

“Do you like it?” he asked. He watched her looking at the necklace he had just worn around her neck and he knew she loved it based on her expression.

Naeun nodded and smiled at him, saying her thanks.

“Actually, I had bought it days ago but didn’t have the opportunity to give it to you so…I’m sorry for giving it to you late,” he said and Naeun shook her head, saying “It’s alright, I don’t mind.”

After a while, in a spur of moment; L held out his hand in a gentlemanly manner in front of her, making Naeun arched her brows.

“Miss Son Naeun, would you care for a dance?” he requested. His voice was sweet and gentle; making her heart went palpitating in madness. Accepting his offer with a sweet smile, L stood up and they went to the center of the garden.

Facing her, he raised her left hand with his right and extended her palm, putting hers into his grip while his left on her waist.

“Myungsoo, I might step on your foot,” she whispered; giving him an early warning before the dance started. It’s true, she’s not that very good in dancing.

L chuckled lightly at her sudden giving warns. “Don’t worry, you are so light I could barely feel you step on my foot,” he joked with a cheeky smile. Naeun giggled.

Soon after that, they swayed without the companion of music, just them in their own world. There would be times where Naeun would step on his foot (which she’s already warned him) but he would smile and said that it was fine.

“Myungsoo,” she called him after she already got the rhythm of it. “I know there’s a meaning why you did all of these to me so…could you please tell me what it is?” she directly asked him. It better that way since beating around the bushes will just get things difficult.

He looked into her eyes and stopped the dance, letting go of her grip. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath, exhaling them slowly and opened his eyelids. I guess, its time.

“Naeun, I know it’s weird for me to do something like this when we just know each other only a month – and you suppose to go back to your hometown today but –first of all, I will say I’m sorry cause suddenly ‘kidnapping’ you but it’s because I couldn’t wait anymore, I don’t want to lose you.”

He paused for a while, trying to regain his strength.

“I think I have fallen in love with you, the moment I met you at the hill. Call it love on first sight because it is. Seeing you look so fragile and broken made me wanted to know you and get closer to you.

And when you suddenly disappear, I was hoping I could meet with you again and I guess; heaven heard me and I met with you again. I think it was fate – our meeting; don’t you think?” he then, looked deep into her eyes. Naeun could barely said anything or even move! She was that speechless and stunned. How couldn’t she when he all of the sudden confessed to her?

“Within this one month period of knowing you, I know we still have a lot we didn’t know about each other but we will, little by little since –well, we will be together until our last breath,” His voice sounded so sincere and genuine while Naeun was having a hard time trying to dissolve everything he had just said.

Once she knew what he just said, both of her hands cupped , looking at L with wide-eyes.

“M-Myungsoo – r-really,” she stuttered. It was hard to believe!

A cheeky grinned plastered on his face. “Yes, really and deathly serious.”

He opened his right palm in front of her, a small red velvet box appeared and she knew what it was and what she guessed was right – he proposed to her!

Before he could even slip the ring into her finger, she had already burst into tears.  L chuckled as he hugged her and tried to remove her falling tears.

 

 

 

I’ll promise I will always be by your side until my last breath because you are the only one person for me.

 

 

____________________________________________