Where We Part

Adonis and Aphrodite

 

Wu Fan does not pull up his car to some shady tarot shop hidden in obscurity, but a typical suburban house in a residential area. “How…did you find this place?” Chanyeol asks skeptically.

“Google,” Wu Fan mumbles before hesitantly ringing the doorbell.

A hefty yet vivacious woman answers the door. Wu Fan expects a bewildered look, but instead, the woman has a quite solemn one plastered on her face. “…body exchange?” she asks.

And Wu Fan’s mouth drops. “You know?”

“Why else would two strangers show up at my doorstep at 6 in the morning?”

Wu Fan awkwardly laughs. “Yes…we really are quite desperate.”

She sighs and walks back into her home. “Follow me.”

Since the outward appearance of the house was rather ordinary, Wu Fan and Chanyeol expect fire pits, torches, and all sorts of freaky voodoo magic mumbo jumbo when they enter the house. Instead, the woman leads them to her seemly normal living room. She gestures them to sit on the couch and she offers them a cup of hot jasmine tea. “So…which one of you started this?”

Wu Fan and Chanyeol exchange looks. “We don’t understand what you mean, Madame. We woke up like this,” Wu Fan replies.

The hefty woman lets out a jolly chuckle. “You don’t honestly think that the universe or some unexplainable force did this, do you?” She wipes away a tear and proceeds, “Please. Don’t you think these 'higher beings' have better things to do than to mess with some spoiled kids?”

Wu Fan blinks rapidly in astonishment. “No, but I really don't understand why this is happening…”

“Incidents like these don’t just happen. But there’s numerous ways for them to occur. Don’t you watch television? Any stranger give you some weird concoction claiming it to be alcohol? Some novices try to practice dark magic they found in a public library book? Witchcraft? Faery godmother? Wishes upon a sta-”

“Maybe it’s Luhan! He’s probably a witch. There’s no way his face can remain that baby-faced without any ointments!”

She rolls her eyes. “Or maybe it’s genetics?”

The hefty woman puts down her cup of tea and looks Wu Fan square in the eye. “And young man, why are you doing all the talking? Let pretty boy other over there talk too.”

Chanyeol straightens his posture. “Huh, me?”

“It’s your situation too. Don’t you have any idea how this could have happened to you?”

Chanyeol nervously bites his lips and looks over at Wu Fan. “Just talk, Chanyeol.” Wu Fan mouths.

“Sorry, miss. I have no idea how this happened...”

The woman looks at Chanyeol for almost a full minute before she lets out a sigh. “Very well…”

Wu Fan’s entire face brightens with happiness. “Does that mean you’ll help us?”

She gets up slowly with a grunt. “I suppose I will. After all, I don’t need to know the causation to fix this. But the both of you will live the rest of your life never knowing.”

Wu fan laughs in relief. “As long as this can be fixed, I don’t care!”

The woman motions Wu Fan and Chanyeol to stay completely still as she goes to get something in her supply closet. “Are the both of you ready?” she shouts from inside the closet.

“I’m ready. You, Chanyeol?”

“What?”

“Get with the program, Chanyeol, we’re getting our bodies back and-”

WHAM!

 

 

Wu Fan slowly opens his eyes. Chanyeol follows suit and they are surprised to wake up on a horribly lit room. The room is dark, full dim candles and endless amount of shelves stacked with various colored bottles. “Wow, she really does have a room like this…” Wu Fan mumbles as he lifts himself up from the wooden cot he laid on.

“You two up?”

The woman enters the room with another tray of hot tea and she sets it by their bedside. “Ouch, my head hurts…” Chanyeol whispers as he rubs the back of his head.

“That’s because I knocked you both unconscious with my broom,” she says with a devious smile.

“Is that what you were getting in your closet? Couldn’t you just have told us first? I think we have the right to know when you are about to plummet our heads with a broom, right, Chanyeol?”

Wu Fan looks over at Chanyeol and he jumps out of bed immediately, eyes budging and mouth hanging agape. In front of his very eyes is not his body, but Park Chanyeol with his long, tousled hair and frail, lanky body. “CHANYEOL IS CHANYEOL!”

“And…that means I’m back to being Wu Fan.” Wu Fan touches his face.  “Chanyeol, you haven’t been using the moisturizer I told you to use,” he scolds, “…but it is all okay. Because we have our bodies back…everything is back to normal.

The woman chuckles. “Any complaints now?”

“NO!” Wu Fan chirps. “Thank you very much, Madame!”

Chanyeol silently nods in appreciation. “Chanyeol, she deserves a proper thank you.”

Chanyeol forces himself a smile. “Yes, thank you.”

“But I got to ask, what did you do to us?”

“There’s a reason why I had to knock you two unconscious…do you really want to know?”

“Uhm…no thank you.”

The woman escorts them to the front entrance of her house where Wu Fan continues to show his appreciation over and over by shaking her hand and bowing. “You have literally saved my life!” Wu Fan continues to praise, and the woman just rolls her eyes in amusement.

“This isn’t for free young man. I have bills to pay and children to feed like any extremely powerful, all knowingly wise sorceress.”

Wu Fan doesn’t even mind when he hands her money, objecting to take Chanyeol’s, and they hop back into Wu Fan’s car on the way back to their homes and back to their mundane lives.

In Wu Fan’s car, Wu Fan fastens his seatbelt, turns his key in the ignition, and drives off effortlessly. In this body, he is at home and everything is comfortable. In the side view mirrors, he would stare at his reflection in disbelief. And he feels as if he conquered something that he initially believed to be an impossible task to take on. Wu Fan settles into the fact that he’s in his body, but he peers over at Chanyeol and just sees him sitting nervously in his seat looking out the window. “You can sleep if you want…”

Chanyeol bobs his head no, hair shaking everywhere, and it looks right on Chanyeol now that he’s in his own body. “I’m good.”

The car ride back is a long one, as the car ride getting there, but this one is rather different. It is because Wu Fan and Chanyeol’s exchange of body gave them a shared purpose. To be able to retrieve their bodies, to succeed in their goal, they were one. But now unhinged from one another, there are only Chanyeol’s subtle coughs that fill Wu Fan’s car. And Chanyeol does not speak because his mind is consumed with far too many other thoughts. Like whether Wu Fan was sincere when he said ‘I like you’ or if it was just some cheap tactic to get Chanyeol to come back with him. So all he does is contemplate and ponder until Wu Fan pulls over to the luxurious residence of the Park family. “We’re here,” Wu Fan finally says.

Chanyeol unbuckles his seat belt and looks into Wu fan’s eyes. “Thank you for dropping me off.”

“Don’t mention it.”

“So…this is where we part ways. Wu Fan-”

In a matter of seconds, a familiar car pulls up Chanyeol’s driveway. It interrupts their conversation and Chanyeol squints his eyes and makes out two figures inside the car. He wears a bright smile on his face and yells. “My parents are back!”

Wu Fan furrows his eyebrows. “Your dad…and mom?”

“Yeah, they were celebrating their anniversary in the States and I guess they came back earlier.”

Chanyeol’s father is first to exit the car. He’s a handsome man, strong in the jaw line and round eyes identical to Chanyeol’s. Chanyeol opens Wu Fan’s car door and calls out to him. “Dad!”

His dad waves over at his son before the chauffeur bombards him with questions on what to do with their endless amount of suitcases. Chanyeol’s father excuses himself and helps the chauffer bring them inside the house. “Where’s your mom?” Wu Fan asks and almost on cue, Chanyeol’s mother exits the car as well.

Chanyeol’s mother is chic and quite youthful in appearance for a mother. She adorns refined jewelry on her ears and neck. Her wine colored dress was demure, classy in length and shape. And she was indubitably stunning with her wavy chestnut hair, thin waist, and full hips. “Son,” she whispers with a smile and Chanyeol leaves Wu Fan’s car to welcome her with a hug. It was apparent that he and his mother are close.

Wu Fan watches in the corner of his eyes, slumping in his seat to remain unseen until Chanyeol’s mother catches attention of Wu Fan. “Who’s that, son?” she asks curiously and Chanyeol remembers Wu Fan. “Oh…that’s a classmate, mom. His name is Wu Fan.”

“What are you doing in his car?”

“He’s just giving me a ride home is all.”

“Well, if someone is giving my son rides, shouldn’t I be introduced to this person?” she laughs with a shake of her finger. “Go inside and greet your father. I’m going to meet your friend.”

Chanyeol blushes over. “Mom!”

“I’m not going to embarrass you,” she laughs as she makes way towards Wu Fan’s car.

Wu Fan’s eyes widen at her abruptness when she opens Wu Fan’s car door and sits on his passenger seat. She closes the door behind her, but she doesn’t make any eye contact with Wu Fan. And neither does he. They both watch Chanyeol stagger into his house and close the door behind him.

Both Wu Fan and Chanyeol’s mother is silent. If it was even possible, even more quiet than the car ride back with Chanyeol. Finally, after she crosses her arms, Chanyeol’s mother lets out a soft sigh. “How’s your father?”

Wu Fan closes his eyes and exhales as well. “Just keeping himself busy with work as usual.”

"So who does the housework?"

"Ms. Lee comes occasionally, but i could handle it by myself."

“That’s good. Have you been alright? Getting good grades?”

“Somewhat.”

“And you and Chanyeol are friends now?”

“I’m not going to say anything to him, if that’s what you’re thinking.”

Chanyeol’s mother chuckles lowly before getting out a box of cigarettes and lighting one. “I know you won’t. It’s not in your nature. You’re a good boy, unlike your father.”

Chanyeol’s mother smiles warmly and offers him a cigarette. Wu Fan raises an eyebrow. “I’m under aged.”

“Minors smoke nowadays, don’t they?”

“Have you ever offered any to Chanyeol?”

Chanyeol’s mother laughs awkwardly before she puts out the lip-stick stained cigarette onto Wu Fan’s ash tray. “No…I would never do that to him.”

Chanyeol rushes out the house, almost like clockwork, and glues his eyes on Wu Fan and his mother in confusion. “I should be heading back,” his mother smiles, “Chanyeol’s probably confused out of his mind.”

Wu Fan bites his bottom lip. “Yeah…”

She slowly gets herself out of the car and waves kindly at Wu Fan. “Until next time, I suppose?”

Wu Fan forces a smile and it’s the first time he actually looks at her face. There are small wrinkles that line and the corners of her eyes. Her eyes were now heavily lidded and her skin is now uneven with dark spots and discoloration. Her youthful face now had signs of age since the last time he saw her. After all, it has been years and years since he last saw her. And that meant years and years of memories she did not share with him. She closes the door with one last wave before walking back to Chanyeol. She hugs him again and Chanyeol’s eyes are still focused on Wu Fan until the both of them go back into their house. Wu Fan watches without blinking an eye.

“Goodbye mother.”


Hello everyoneeeee! You didn't think they'd be in each other's bodies forever did you? This is my longest chapter yet! :o Also since my sick/work schedule/time management is getting worse, it's been fairly difficult for me to write more vividly and expressivly. I usually proofreed and sometimes I scrap ideas/re-write if the chapter isn't to my liking. I'm really obsessive compulsive like that Bwahahaaaa! But yes, that is why I apologize if my chapters are not up to par to your expectations ;A; But thank you for putting up with me! Byeeee for now ! <3