The Switch

Adonis and Aphrodite

There are two things you ought to know about Labyrinth Academy. The first thing is Wu Fan and the second is Park Chanyeol. For one thing, their rivalry is almost as legendary as the school alma mater itself.

…perhaps that’s a little too farfetched but, the point is, their rivalry was a hotly discussed topic amongst their peers. Wu Fan and Park Chanyeol attended all the same schools from preschool to their current high school. Since they are both of prestige family upbringings and all the schools were escalator institutions, it is no wonder both of them are quite familiar with the other.

In addition, they were both fine embodiments of a modern day nobleman. Both tall in stature, both well off financially, and both exceptionably handsome.

And yet, they couldn’t be more different.

 

It is 12 in the morning and Luhan is reclined on Wu Fan’s sofa, slurping in messily his cup of instant ramen. Luhan has a thing for cheap, artificially chicken flavored ramen, as apparent since he eats it almost daily. “That cannot be good for you,” Wu Fan shakes his head in disagreement.

Luhan finishes his meal in a flash and looks up at him with a cryptic smirk. Nothing good ever comes when Luhan is wearing that look. “So,” he beams, “I heard Park Chanyeol is dating Sae Rin…”

Wu Fan looks away immediately to make sure Luhan cannot decode his provoked expression. “…I don’t care.”

“Oh you care.”

“No I don’t, I just…DAMN RIGHT I CARE, that underhanded bastard!” Wu Fan exclaims.

Luhan laughs hysterically as he holds his dying stomach. He wipes away a tear and continues. “Sae Rin has been pursuing you for months on end and you didn’t give her a single look. But if Chanyeol wants her, all of a sudden, you’re interested.”

“Because he only wanted her because I wanted her.”

“You never wanted her.”

“Yeah, but what if I have a change of heart?”

Luhan sighs. “You are so petty. This entire rivalry is petty.”

Wu Fan just throws himself on the sofa besides him and rubs at his temples in order to suppress his growing headache.  “You just don’t get it, Luhan. Park Chanyeol is the reincarnation of the devil. ”

It’s silent for far too long so Wu Fan looks up at Luhan and Luhan has that creepy, condescending smirk on his face again. It’s never a good sign. “What?” Wu Fan questions, raising an eyebrow.

“Oh, nothing!”

Luhan!”

Luhan yawns. “Gee, I’m so tired! Good night, Wu Fan! Thanks for letting me crash here!”

“I never said you could…”

Luhan slumps into the sofa’s form and falls asleep with his head on the armrest.  There’s a high probability that he’s faking, but Luhan’s sleepy face makes him look even more baby-faced (if that was even possible).  And Wu Fan would feel bad for waking up a boy that looked like he was twelve years old. Wu Fan just rolls his eyes and heads off to bed. If he misses out on his sleep, he would be screwing up his entire beauty regime.

 

Sleep usually lessens his headaches, but it his head is still pounding when he wakes up. Wu Fan wakes to an uncomfortable amount of blinding lights and he squints in response. He pulls himself off the bed groggily and tries to reach for his jar of painkillers, usually perched conveniently by his nightstand. He reaches and reaches with no avail. “That’s odd. Where are my painkillers?”

His eyes snap wide open. “THAT’S ODD. WHERE IS MY ROOM?”

Wu Fan frantically inspects the room.  Clothes are randomly dispersed on the floor beneath him. The walls are decorated with a dizzying amount of polka dots, pinks, and paisleys. An abundance of fluffy stuffed alpacas are laid by his bedside. Wu Fan scoffs in disgust. “THIS IS AN ABOMINATION FOR A ROOM,” he shouts as he throws the blankets off him and darts out of the obscene room posthaste.

Wu Fan’s not sure of where he’s going, but he soon finds the front entrance. The house is beautiful, in contrast to the ridiculous room he awoke in. He’s meters away from reaching the door when he hears someone call out, “Chanyeol!”

He jerks his head back to see a tender-looking old woman approaching him. She has on a timeless black smock and gray hair that falls to the nape of her neck. Even if she is a stranger, Wu Fan was not startled by her. But Wu Fan raises an eyebrow and that motion forces some of his fringe to fall over his eyes. ‘Was my hair always this long?’ he ponders.

“Chanyeol, dear, are you leaving for school with that unkempt head of yours? And where is your uniform?” the woman asks with a sweet-toned voice.

“Madame, please do not address me with such a heinous name for Park Chanyeol is the incarnation of the devil himself.”

The elderly woman wears a dubious expression. “Chanyeol, are you playing pretend again?”

Wu Fan’s jaw drops and he immediately touches his hair, his face, and his chest.  Wu Fan’s short and managed hair is now long and tousled. His face was not coaxed with his usual layers of night care skin creams and moisturizers. His body was now frail and slender, almost feminine in appearance.  He chokes on his words when he mutters, “I’m Park Chanyeol.”

“Indeed you are?” the elderly woman is staring at Wu Fan as if he has lost his mind.

And he’s convinced he has too. “Sorry but I have to go somewhere really fast! I, Park Chanyeol, not the reincarnation of the devil, will be back really soon!”

He closes the door behind him and he starts running. Wu Fan has always been the steady walker, used to imitating male models on the runway as a young adolescent, but there is no time for steady walking. There is only time for FREAKING –THE - OUT.

 

Wu Fan is well aware that he lives only two blocks away from Chanyeol since he has known him since primary school. He runs nonstop until he is in his familiar neighborhood and uses the spare key underneath the door mat to enter his house. Without any hesitation, he barges in, clumsily running up the stairs and forces open his bedroom door.

And there, looking at himself is himself.

Blonde matted hair, arched and strong eyebrows, and toned and angular limbs.

A breath barely escapes. “Who are you?”

“…I’m Chanyeol,” escapes from Wu Fan’s own mouth and they both go ballistic at once.

“OH GOD.”

“THIS CANNOT BE HAPPENING!”

“DID WE JUST SWAP BODIES?”

“IS THIS REAL LIFE?!”

“PARK CHANYEOL HAS MY FACE.”

“PLEASE CALL ME A THERAPIST!”

“YOUR ROOM IS DISGUSTING AND TACKY.”

 

They both calm themselves down. Chanyeol is laying head down on Wu Fan’s 1000 cotton count bed sheets and Wu Fan paces the floors.

“How the hell did this happen?” Wu fan breaks the silence.

“MHMHMERRHPHHHHH…” slurs Chanyeol’s face, muffled by Wu Fan’s sheets.

“Can you get your face off of my sheets? You’re getting saliva on my expensive sheets of Egyptian cotton,” Wu Fan demands and Chanyeol curses him under his breath.

“Okay, first we have to get help. Call a psychic or some sort of specialist or something…”

Chanyeol bounces off the bed. “No way! We can’t miss school! Today’s a school day!”

Wu Fan rolls his eyes. “Don’t you think this is a little more important than school?!”

Chanyeol shakes his head violently. Wu Fan grows a pulsating vein as Chanyeol makes these infuriating actions with his own body. “No, no! My granny would be disappointed in me. I promised her that I would go to school every day! So you have to go to school for me!”

Wu Fan scoffs. “Why only me?”

“Obviously, because you’re in my body, Wu Fan! Right now, you are me! You are Park Chanyeol!”

Wu Fan sits down and rubs at his temples again. He really needs a pain killer right about now.

“Fine, fine, I’m going…but at dismissal, we have to sort this whole thing out right away.”

“Deal,” Chanyeol agrees, bouncing his head violently again.

“But don’t do that,” Wu Fan commands, pointing a pompous finger at the other. “That thing you do... with your head. With my head.”

“What thing?”

Wu fan rolls his eyes. “Look, if we are going to go to school, we have to be very discreet.  No one can know about this or our reputations will be at stake.”

“Reputations? Oh, you mean like Adonis and Aphrodite.”

“Come again?”

Chanyeol smiles from ear to ear. It’s creepy when he was Park Chanyeol and it’s even creepier when he’s Wu Fan. Wu Fan never smiled and yet, he’s watching himself smile, gum and teeth exposed, and he wants to punch his own face.

“People call you an Adonis because you’re handsome. People call me Aphrodite because I’m lovable and pretty,” he almost giggles.

Wu Fan has the urge to punch Chanyeol in the face, but if he did that, he would ruin his own face that he prides himself in. Wu Fan just smirks mockingly and responds. “You know Aphrodite tries to seduce Adonis at the end right? Know your mythology.”  

Chanyeol scrunches his nose and Wu Fan digs into his closet to throw Chanyeol a towel. “Go shower. Your first duty as Wu Fan is keep up my appearance.”

Chanyeol scoffs. “Same goes to you, Park Chanyeol.”

Chanyeol bumps into Wu Fan’s shoulder purposefully, taking advantage of his newfound broad shoulders. Before he leaves the room, he smirks mockingly in Wu Fan’s direction. If there’s one thing Wu Fan’s face is good for, it’s smirking. But he wasn’t sure how to do that with Chanyeol’s face.  Ever since he could remember, Chanyeol always had on that infuriating smile of his. Chanyeol smiled as if everything was all right in the world, as if he never had a single profound thought in his life.

Nothing sickened Wu Fan to that extent as Chanyeol’s worry-free smile.   

He slouches down on his bed and sighs. It’s any a matter of seconds when Chanyeol peeks his head back in the room with a flushed face. “Uhm…where’s the restroom?”

 

It is going to be a long day.


I'M BACKKK! So I was extremely sad that I finished AS IT LINGERS (which was my BABY) and decided on an entirely new concept that would push me out of my comfort zone. Which brings me to ADONIS AND APHRODITE. Loosely inspired by the whole supernatural, body-switching theme as the book FREAKY FRIDAY and Korean Drama SECRET GARDEN. But do not worry, it's nothing like those stories because I'm doing what I want with my story. And of course, this one is KRISYEOL. Do enjoy reading and feel free to leave comments! :3