Hate is a Strong Word

Adonis and Aphrodite

 

As Wu Fan exits the hotel lobby, the night’s coldness hits him immediately. Even worse still, large and dark clouds roam over his head and he’s for certain that rain is inevitable. “Park Chanyeol!” he screeches as he runs thoughtlessly through the streets.

He aimlessly searches for him by foot without any lead. The clouds above him start drizzling and he quickens his pace. It’s another fifteen more minutes before he finds himself roaming an eerily tranquil and secluded park. “Chanyeol wouldn’t be here…he’s fearful of practically everything…” Wu Fan whispers to himself.

But Wu Fan gazes far into the distance where he makes out a blurred figure swinging on a rusty swing set. The indefinite figure is tall and lanky so Wu Fan tests his luck by rushing towards it. And sure enough, it is Chanyeol who swings, listlessly dragging his long legs into the cool sand beneath him. “Park Chanyeol!” he screams and Chanyeol jerks his head up in a flash.

Chanyeol almost tumbles off of the swing set before he hides behind the swing ropes. “Wu Fan! Do not come any closer!”

Wu Fan cautiously walks towards him. The rain starts to pour in large quantities, followed by thunder and lightning, and Wu Fan yells over the noises. “Chanyeol! It’s raining for God’s sake, let’s go back to the hotel!”

“No!” Chanyeol responds as he flees behind a tree.

Wu Fan runs after him and Chanyeol dodges him by hiding behind random playground fixtures and large trees. Wu Fan jumps over the playground equipment, climbs over the rope fences, and slides down the toddler slides in attempts to catch up to the other. Wu Fan’s vigorous tactics were as unnecessary as they were ridiculous so Chanyeol doesn’t know whether to laugh at him or run like his life depended on it. “GO AWAY, WU FAN!”

“Stop running, come back here, and converse with me like a civilized adult!” Wu Fan hollers irritably as he tries to catch up to Chanyeol.

“You’re running too!”

“I WOULDN’T HAVE TO IF YOU STOPPED RUNNING!”

“NEVER!”

Chanyeol starts panting heavily, evidence of his exhaustion from physical exertion, and Wu Fan takes the opportunity to sneak up from behind and grab him by the wrists. Chanyeol struggles for release, but Wu Fan pulls him under a nearby gazebo to shade them from the pouring rain. Wu Fan presses him against the gazebo and Chanyeol continues to struggle, wet hair shaking frantically. “No fair! No fair! You were doing parkour! Parkour is not allowed!”

“Shut up, Chanyeol. I didn’t have to if you weren’t being so immature.”   

You’re immature!”

Chanyeol sticks out his tongue in retort. “I’m going to bite that tongue off, you reincarnation of the devil,” Wu Fan threatens and Chanyeol halts his struggling and freezes up to the threat.

Chanyeol is shaking from both the coldness and the intimidation. Realizing his wrongdoing, Wu Fan just lectures in attempts to console him. “We should get back. It’s dark and cold and I don’t want you to catch a cold.”

Before Wu Fan can even look away for one second, Chanyeol starts to whimper quietly. A stunned Wu Fan forces his face up by the chin and sees Chanyeol’s eyes and cheeks turn a vivid pink. Tears slowly trickle down his face, mixing with the dampness of his skin, and Wu Fan looks away in shock. He slowly lets go of Chanyeol’s wrists and the both of them look down in shame without uttering a single word. Chanyeol continues to cry and his sobs grow louder and louder, competing with the sounds of the thunder and falling rain. Wu Fan grits his teeth before he continues speaking. “I’m sorry I broke it off with Sae Rin.”

Chanyeol looks at Wu Fan in frustration. “…you think this is about Sae Rin?”

Wu Fan’s skeptic stare is so intense, but Chanyeol tries hard not to look away. Wu Fan takes a step closer. “Then what is this about, Chanyeol?”

Chanyeol’s eyes continue to tear up, but his eyes do not falter from Wu Fan’s gaze. He breathes in before he proceeds. “…you hate me.”

“I don’t hate you.”

“You hate me.”

 “Hate is a strong word. But… I really really really don’t like you,” Wu Fan laughs to himself and Chanyeol bawls even harder.

“Are y-you trying to be f-f-funny?!” Chanyeol chokes as he tries to speak.

Wu Fan doesn’t know what to do so in a poor attempt to suppress his tears, Wu Fan hugs him. Wu Fan isn’t even aware that it is the first time he’s holding Chanyeol. He just continues to hug him tight, selfishly stealing away Chanyeol’s body heat, and rubs his back in empathy.  It only makes Chanyeol cry harder. “I’m sorry, don’t cry okay? I thought the reference would make you laugh,” Wu Fan apologizes.

“Well, you’re not funny!” Chanyeol hiccups and he starts to hit Wu Fan’s back in annoyance. “You’re so stupid! Stupid Wu Fan!”

Wu Fan continues to rub his back dotingly, tightening their embrace as he chuckles. “Yes, yes…I’m stupid.”

“Stupid Wu Fan…stupid…” Chanyeol continues to cry softly and hit him mercilessly.

Chanyeol lets out a small sneeze and Wu Fan releases from the embrace. “Oh no, you’re getting sick. We’re heading back this instant.”

Chanyeol sniffles, eyes still damp from tears, and mumbles, “Don’t want to. Not with you.”

“If you don’t, you’ll get a full-fletched flu, Park Chanyeol.”

Chanyeol lowers his eyes, fiddling with his fingers before looking up at Wu Fan with wide eyes. “Carry me back.”

“WHAT? No way in hell.”

“…then I’m not going back,” Chanyeol pouts.

Wu Fan curses under his breath, he wants to pull out his hair so badly.  If he carries Chanyeol back, his superiority would disintegrate into oblivion. But if he carries him back, it would make Chanyeol happy. And Wu Fan really just wants Chanyeol to be happy. So after much deliberation, he reluctantly gets on his knees. He arches his back in the process and mumbles. “…get on.”

Chanyeol spitefully jumps onto Wu Fan’s back. “YOU’RE TOO HEAVY,” Wu Fan gags.

“I’m in your body. You’re the heavy one,” Chanyeol retorts, putting more weight on Wu Fan’s back.

Chanyeol wraps his arms around Wu Fan’s neck, almost choking him in the process, and Wu Fan unsteadily starts walking through the rain. The rain continues to pour, making holding onto Chanyeol’s slippery body extremely difficult. But Wu Fan just holds onto Chanyeol tighter and ignores his fatigued arms and legs. Outside the park, more and more eyes stare at the strange sight that is Wu Fan piggy-backing Chanyeol. Wu Fan starts to walk more slowly as reflection of his tiredness. He almost trips over a cement crack and Chanyeol gasps. “Wu Fan. Y-you can let me down now.”

“No, I got it,” Wu Fan mumbles.

“I made you carry me because I was mad but I’m not mad anymore...honest! You’re going to hurt yourself. Just let me down!”

“Chanyeol, it’s okay. I want to.”

Chanyeol’s coughing, but he’s also crying. He thanks the heavens that Wu Fan cannot hear his cries over the rain and thunder. Wu Fan chuckles. “But just so you know, I’m throwing away all my masculine pride for you.”

Chanyeol smiles, laughing quietly as warm tears stream down his face. “…I know.”

“And I don’t hate you, okay?”

“...you don’t?”

“I don’t.”

Chanyeol cries a little harder, but he stifles his cries. Chanyeol presses his chest closer to Wu Fan’s back, face nuzzling onto the hollow of Wu Fan’s neck. He’s satisfied with Wu Fan’s response. But he couldn’t help but take advantage of the situation even further. “Then…do you like me?” he timidly asks.

Wu Fan stops walking immediately. Chanyeol awaits his response in anticipation, feeling as if the world around him just paused in time. And the only thing heard was the sound of his frantically beating heart. Wu Fan clears his throat before continuing his steady pace. "Yeah..."

 

“...I like you.”


ASDFGHJKLASDFGHJKLASDFGHJKL WHY IS THIS SO LAME? Makes me actually convince myself that Krisyeol is really this lame and cheesy and fluffy in reality omfg. ALSOOO I'm deliberately writing longer chapters for you all because I have a habit of writing too short <3 Bye bye until chapter ... SEVEN? WOW THAT WAS FAST.

Also because... parkour. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_1Ezczq06I