Abby

Forever Yours
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

            It was their final night back home, and Hyukjae had decided he would go speak with his uncle once more about Kai- he hoped he could be more calm the second time. With a small kiss on the lips, Hyukjae and Donghae said a temporary goodbye. Donghae watched as Hyukjae got into his car with his siblings and he didn’t head back into his house until the car drove away and was completely out of sight.

            Donghae exhaled lightly, a slight smile formed on his lips as he headed into his parent’s house. Everyone was out except Henry who sat on the couch watching a movie. Donghae went into his room and changed into sweats and a comfy hoodie before he clasped Abby’s leash on her collar. Abby whined and Donghae laughed as he , “Yah, it’s our last night together don’t you want it to be special?” he placed his head against hers and grinned sweetly as he ran his fingers through her fur. “Come on.” He pulled on the leash and she slowly followed him. Donghae walked down the stairs, “I’m going for a quick walk in the woods, Mochi. Do you want to come?” he smiled as he stood before his brother.

            Henry puffed his cheeks before he slowly shook his head. “I’m tired.” He whined.

            Donghae laughed, “Its fine,” he shrugged. “We won’t be gone for too long.” He smiled and headed out of his house while Abby trailed behind. His eyes became lost in the darkening sky for a moment as he approached the woods slowly. “It’s weird to be here, Abby.” He said softly. It was completely quiet during that time, and the only sounds he could hear was the twigs he’d break with every step he took and his breathing. “It’s nice,” He smiled and nodded, “But weird.” He couldn’t take another step so he sat down near the lake, and laughed when Abby lazily climbed on his lap. He gently ran his fingers through her fur while his eyes were focused on the lake and the way that strings of light were reflected from the moonlight. Abby whined softly when she could sense Donghae’s uneasiness. “Abby.” He whispered as he was lost in his thoughts. “There are so many terrifying memories that I have here, but.. I also have so many pleasant ones too.” He closed his eyes and allowed himself to finally feel what he forced himself to suppress. Tears escaped his eyes as he squeezed his eyes shut and the memory played in his head.

            Donghae trembled as he slowly made his way into the prison and his voice shook when he requested to see him. When he was led into the visitors’ room, his heart pounded hard in his chest and his knees were weak. He was surprised he hadn’t fallen on his face before he managed to sit in front of a glass. He breathed deeply, preparing himself for what he had decided to do. He didn’t tell Hyukjae that he wanted to see his uncle one last time because he knew he wouldn’t allow it. But Donghae needed this. Most of his life he managed to be okay, he managed to deal with everything that has happened to him, but sometimes… sometimes he felt like he was drowning. Sometimes his body would give out on him and he would cry pitifully as scenes played in his head like a damn horror movie. Therapy helped, but at the same time it didn’t help. It didn’t help to talk about it as much as he was forced to, but his therapist insisted that Donghae shouldn’t suppress his emotions- if he did, it would be much worse in the end. So Donghae forced himself to feel as he thought about his uncle and it hurt him so much that there were times he couldn’t understand how he had survived.

            But he did.

            He had survived something that had left him numb and broken.

            Donghae hardly thought about his uncle when he was with Hyukjae, so Hyukjae never realized that their therapy sessions hurt Donghae as much as it helped him. Only one time, the elder found Donghae crawled up into a ball, crying his heart out and it broke his heart. He held him as he cried into his shoulder, and he reminded Donghae just how strong he truly was. He would remind Donghae that he was loved by many, and he would even make a list for him of all those people.

            Therapy helped Donghae get everything he had suppressed out. It hurt like hell, but as time went by Donghae felt relieved. He felt a weight lift from his shoulders. He had never felt better in his life and he was so confident in himself that he wanted to face his uncle. He thought that it was the last thing he needed to truly be able to let the past go.

            Donghae had wanted release from the hold his uncle had on him for the majority of his childhood. He needed it. Which is why he had decided to visit his uncle and as he waited patiently for the guards to bring him out, he mentally reminded himself that he was strong and that he was loved. Donghae took a deep breath and his heart pounded harder when his uncle sat on the other side of the glass. His uncle didn't look the same anymore. He had scar on his face which was a bit odd lookking after Kai beat him. Donghae gulped and tried to avoid his eyes. With trembling hands, Donghae grabbed the phone and held it against his ear. He had trouble looking the elder in his eyes, but when their eyes did meet Donghae felt sick. Uncle Hyunbin stared at him with cold eyes and he had a vile smirk on his lips. His uncle grabbed the phone and was the first to speak, “What a pleasant surprise.” He breathed softly as he sent Donghae a suggestive wink. Donghae felt like puking. “Did you miss me?” his hand reached out for the glass and Donghae scooted back from his chair.

            He shook his head quickly, and looked away. You’re strong. He exhaled deeply before his lips parted. He stared into his uncle’s eyes and it brought back horrifying memories. Donghae’s body began to tremble and he no longer had the strength to speak. Tears welled into his eyes and his uncle’s smile only grew as he watched the younger quiver in fear. “Does that boy know that you belong to me? Because you do, Donghae. You will always be mine.” His voice sounded threatening.

            Donghae stared at him and shook his head slowly, but he couldn’t speak. “No, I’m not,” It was the only thing he managed to whisper in between his tears. He couldn’t believe that this man had caused him so much pain. When Donghae left, he nearly collapsed as he cried heavily. “You’re strong.” He told himself in a broken voice, and he cried harder as he wiped away his tears, “He’ll never change, and there’s nothing I can do about him. There’s so much I can do for myself.” He whispered through his tears. He suddenly remembered what his therapist told him and that made him smile weakly. “I’m taking control.” He nodded one time as he walked away from the prison.

            Donghae opened his eyes and he was brought back to the woods with Abby on his lap. His heart felt heavy but he smiled softly, his fingers ran through Abby’s fur as he whispered, “I’m taking control, Abby.” He nodded, “I’m letting go of my past once and for all.” Tears fell from his eyes and he smiled happily as he leaned down and pecked Abby’s head. “I haven’t dreamt about him anymore, and honestly I rarely think about him. I think it’s because I’m always with Hyukkie, and when I’m with him…” he blushed. Abby whined when Donghae said Hyukjae’s name. “When I’m with him life is so beautiful.” He smiled widely. Abby nuzzled her head to Donghae’s chest which only made him happier. He hugged her and whispered, “I love him so much, Abby.” She whined.

            He breathed deeply, “I’m letting him go.” He whispered once more because it was liberating to say it out loud. “I’m finally letting him go. I will not dwell on the past. I will focus on my future with Hyukkie and my family. And I will let go of U-” he took a deep breath, “And I will let go of Uncle Hyunbin, pinky promise.” He giggled as he held up his pinky to Abby. Abby stared at it and placed her paw on it. Donghae laughed and hugged her happily.

            Donghae stared at the lake as he was lost in his thoughts. He was reminiscing the moment that he first met Hyukjae, “Once upon a time, there was a broken boy and his beautiful cousin arguing near this lake. A curious boy heard and approached the duo in secrecy. The broken boy pushed his cousin into the lake before he ran off. The curious boy saw the beautiful boy struggling to swim, so he dived in…” He grinned because he could tell he had Abby’s attention. Abby was quiet. “and curious boy saved beautiful boy here…” Donghae pointed to the spot where he placed Hyukjae to help him breathe. “Curious boy was instantly interested in beautiful boy, and slowly he fell more for him when he discovered just how beautiful that boy really was- not only outside but inside too.” He smiled happily as memories played in his head from the beginning of their story.

            It sounded like Abby was crying softly and Donghae was shocked, “Awww its okay, Abby.” He kissed her head and smiled brightly as he hugged her and ran his fingers down her fur. “I wish we could take you back to our dorm, Abby, but no pets allowed.” He pouted. “Don’t worry, we’ll visit.” He nodded and smiled brightly.

            He became startled when Abby jerked her head to the side, her ears lifted as she became very quiet. Donghae stared at her, “What’s wrong?” he whispered. There was rustling in the bushes that were in between the trees. Donghae stared towards the direction and he held Abby’s leash tightly when she got off of him and growled at the bushes. “Abby, stop doing that, please.” He whispered. His heart was pounding in his chest as he slowly stood up and stared towards the bushes, but it was so dark. “You’re freaking me out.” He told Abby, and he frowned when she got down and looked ready to lunge. She started barking defensively. Donghae pulled on her leash but she wouldn’t budge. It scared Donghae just how strong she was, and how upset she looked. “Abby…” he reached out for her and his weaker hand held onto her leash.

            Abby barked once more and broke out into a sprint. Donghae was pulled forcefully and he was knocked to the ground. He cried out in pain when he felt a sharp sting on his knees and palms from how hard he had landed. His vision blurred from the fast movement and he stared in front of him and his eyes widened in horror when he saw Abby sprinting away, “ABBY!!” He quickly stood up and sprinted after her. Abby was chasing someone but Donghae couldn’t clearly see anything as he sprinted through the woods and chased after her. His heart palpitated in his chest and he panted heavily for air, “Abby, wait!” his voice echoed in the woods.

 

            As soon as Hyukjae arrived back home, he went to the house next door. “Hi hyung!!” Henry beamed as he let him in. Donghae’s parents had arrived home not long ago, and they stared at Hyukjae with small smiles. “Donghae isn’t here hyung.” Henry told him before he could head to the latter’s room.

            Hyukjae frowned because he was taken back, “Where is he?”

            Henry’s parents rushed to him because they had assumed Donghae was either in his room or with Hyukjae, “Henry, where’s Donghae?” His father gently grabbed him by his arm. Hyukjae noted how paranoid they looked. They were shaking as they stared at Henry.

            Henry shrugged, “He went out for a walk with Abby in the woods…but he’s been gone for a while and he said it wouldn’t take long.” His parents tried to mask the fear in their eyes as the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter