Girlfriend?

Twist of Fate

 

"Say what?" Dara asked, eyes bulging out of her sockets.
 
"I said, would you like to be my girlfriend?" Jiyong said deliberately, a dash of slyness in his eyes. 
 
The idea was so absurd, it set her off into nearly hysterical laughter. 
 
"Are you kidding me right now?" Dara responded, gaping at him. She couldn't believe he just dropped that question like a bomb. It didn't make sense at all. 
 
"Do I look like I'm kidding right now?" Jiyong countered, a hint of seriousness in his voice.
 
Dara stopped laughing immediately and looked at him in the eyes. Indeed, he wasn't kidding.
 
"You're seriously asking me to be your girlfriend?" Dara asked, her voice almost ticked off.
 
"Not technically," Jiyong responded, leaning back on his seat, he put his hands in his lap and interlaced his slim fingers. "Now before you object, listen to what I have to say first."
 
Dara was ready to protest, opening to say something but she decided to hear what he had to say.
 
"I know we just met and we don't know much about each other." He started to speak. He was definitely right about that, they were merely strangers.
 
"But since we already got ourselves into this mess, why don't we just go with the flow?" He trailed. "I'm pretty sure you're jobless right now and you don't have a permanent home. Think of this as a golden opportunity."
 
"Wait, how did you know I'm jobless and I don't have a home?" Dara asked, raising her brows cluelessly.
 
"Hmm... I have my sources." He replied, whilst smiling that smarmy, superior little smirk.
 
"No seriously." She uttered, a hint of anxiety in her voice.
 
She put her left elbow on the table and rested her face on her fist.
 
"Let's just say, you unlocked your life last night and relayed it to me openly." He smirked. "Well, you know what they say about drunk people, they tend to say things they won't when they're sober."
 
Great. I've blurted out my life to a complete stranger. 
 
"In a nutshell, I'm hiring you to be my fake girlfriend. So, what do you say?" He offered, a smirk still plastered on his face.
 
Dara stayed silent for a moment, thinking deeply about what he just said. He was definitely right. She was jobless and homeless. But she wasn't comfortable with the idea of having a boyfriend, well a fake one for that matter, when she just got cheated on.
 
"Why me?" Dara asked, curiously. "I don't look like the type of girl you'd date, considering the fact that I'm neither drop dead gorgeous nor filthy rich."
 
"You got that right." He replied, a slight chuckle leaving his lips. "So, you finally admit that I'll only date drop dead gorgeous girls, as good looking as me, huh?"
 
Why this conceited son of a is asking for a slap in the face, with a chair.
 
"Calm your , I didn't admit anything." Dara spat through gritted teeth, glared at him for offending her.
 
"My... would you look at that. Never thought that you'd have such a foul mouth Dara." He mocked, putting his hands over his chest, trying to look shell-shocked.
 
"And I never knew you'd be such an either." Dara retorted, clear indignation in her voice. "You might wanna wipe your mouth, there's still a tiny bit of bull on your lips." 
 
He thinks he's 'all that', huh? Why am I even having this conversation with him? Screw this. Screw him. I need to take a breather.
 
"Chill, woman. What's your problem?" Jiyong responded, getting miffed by the rude tone in her voice.
 
"My problem? You! You are the problem. You know what? I'm out of here." Dara spat, frustration coursing through her veins. 
 
Dara stood up abruptly and threw the table napkin on the table, she casted him a menacing stare before stalking off with a huff.
 
"Dara, wait-" Jiyong trailed but he was already too late. 
 
Dara stormed off without looking back. Exasperation bubbling through her, she was about to blow her top soon if she hadn't left. She tromped outside the mansion, aimlessly walking, she had no destination, all she wanted was to get away from him. She knew that it wasn't entirely his fault but she was having a bad day, he just had to rub it in her face and start acting all cocky around her. She couldn't take it anymore. At times like this, she would take a long walk to straighten out her thoughts. She just wanted to be alone. 
 
Sigh.
 
-
 
Dara followed where her feet took her. She had been walking for hours, wandering around the city, enjoying the scenic surroundings. It's been so long since she had taken a tour around Korea, she really missed her hometown. Everything would've been perfect if only her parents were still around. All this walking made her tired to the bone but it was worth it. She managed to stay calm, collected and able to think straight again once more.
 
Sighing, she padded along the pavement, kicking a stone and watching it as it ricocheted out of sight along the asphalt ground. She was unaware that it was already nearing dusk. She ought to go back and apologize to Jiyong. Looking around, she scratched her head and pondered where the mansion was.
 
Uh oh. Don't tell me I'm lost? I don't know where Jiyong lives! Crap.
 
Reaching down in her pockets, she tried to reach for her handphone, in hopes of contacting him for his address. To her dismay, her pockets were completely empty. No phone. No money. Nothing. Besides, she didn't even have his number.
 
I'm lost. Completely lost.
 
Dara wandered on the outskirts of the city, trying her luck if she could find her way back but to no avail. Everywhere she looked, she was just greeted by an unfamiliar place. Upon reaching a dark alley, she chanced upon a group of drunken men.
 
Oh boy. No. No. No. 
 
"Oh hi there pretty lady. Wanna hang out with us?" One of the men suggested, inching closer to where Dara was standing.
 
"Get away from me." Dara responded bitterly, her heart thumping against her to cage, taking a few steps back.
 
"Oh come on! Let's have fun." The other guy who had intricate tattoos all over his arms mouthed, every word oozed with lust.
 
Dara walked backwards, hastily, wanting to get away from them, until she felt her back against a hard wall. She was trapped. They were so close, she could smell their reeking breaths.
 
Oh my god. I will get ... Somebody save me.
 
"Help! Someone help! Help me!" Dara shrieked, voice crisp with fear. 
 
"Nobody can hear you babe. Scream all you want. Nobody can save you." The bald guy said, a glint of excitement in his eyes as he ran a finger along the side of Dara's face. Dara flinched in disgust.
 
The overly-muscular guy who still had a beer in his hand came up to Dara and grabbed her by the waist, snaking his large hand inside her shirt. Dara squirmed uncomfortably, tears threatened to spill from her eyes. The other two guys restrained her movements by holding her arms firmly against the cold ceramic walls.
 
"Please don't do this. Please." Dara beseeched, her voice cracking with fear.
 
"Shhhh. It will all be over before you know it. Relax and let us have fun with you." The bald guy coaxed, moving his calloused hands along her soft skin. 
 
Soon, she could hear her top being torn off, the buttons flying in a quick motions and revealing her black bra. Dara let out a shrill scream, a shuddering gasp for air as hot tears scalded her cheeks. 
 
"Don't touch me!" She screamed, her voice rising a few octaves.
 
The guy's eyes were thick with lust and his breathing became ragged, he looked like a wild animal ready to devour it's prey. Impatient, he tried to tear her jeans off too, once again, she squirmed, moving her body vigorously from left to right, to pry their strong grips off her. She knew she couldn't fight them off but she didn't want to give up. She didn't want to get by these thugs. Not now. Not ever.
 
Dara was left with no choice. Out of the blue, she kicked the man in front of him where the sun didn't shine. Groaning in pain, he let go of her pants instantaneously and crouched on the ground, grabbing his nuts. But the other two guys still had her hands restricted.
 
"You !" The tattooed guy with a piercing on his eyebrow spat, throwing a knuckle across her cheeks.
 
Dara moaned in pain, feeling the sting on her cheeks. Her vision was beginning to die out. She could taste blood in , some trailing across her lips. These guys were merciless, they did not slap her but gave her a painful punch instead.
 
"That's what you get for doing that to our leader." He bellowed in her face, eyes piercing through hers darkly. With that being said, he grabbed a fistful of her hair and yanked it up abruptly, punishing her further. Dara, helplessly screamed in pain.
 
"How do you like that, huh?" He threatened and letting out a satisfied evil chuckle.
 
Dara raised her leg again, attempting to kick the guy in his nuts but he was quicker, he managed to grab her legs in time. Without a second thought, he kicked her side, earning a painful gasp from Dara. Her legs throbbed agonizingly as it gave up on her, her body slipped against the cold wall and it slumped on the floor weakly.
 
"You never learn don't you." He growled, his voice getting dangerously loud. "Let me teach you a lesson." True to his words, his fist came flying to her side once more, feeling the pain near her ribcage, she cried out in pain.
 
"J-Jiyong...." She breathed, a never ending stream of tears mapping her pale cheeks. She was growing weaker every second, pain rippling through her entire body but her mind was thinking about only one person, Jiyong. She wanted to see him. She wanted to apologize for being such a towards him.
 
I'm gonna die. I'm never gonna see him again.
 
The guy was ready to give her another blow, she shut her eyes tight, waiting for the impact but she never felt it. Instead, she heard a loud groan in front of her. Immediately, she felt her arms being freed and it splayed across her. 
 
Looking up weakly, she saw Jiyong standing right in front of her, his eyes smoldering with indignation. 
 
Dara was weak-kneed with relief upon seeing Jiyong. Mustering a faint smile, she whispered, "Jiyong..." 
 
He loomed over her for a moment, then lowered his head, "I'm sorry I'm late," with that, he pressed his lips lightly on her forehead. He took off his black blazer and draped it over her wrecked, half- body, also wiping a rivulet of blood on her pale lips and the silver tears on her cheeks.
 
"Who the hell are you?" A voice boomed behind him.
 
Balling his fists, he rose and turned his body around towards the thugs. He glared at each and everyone one of them murderously. 
 
"I'm her boyfriend. Now which one of you motherers did this to her?" He growled through gritted teeth, his voice seething with anger. The cracking of knuckles could be heard.
 
Dara winced at his condescending tone. She had never heard or seen Jiyong this angry before, to the extent that he would cuss and swear. He must be bubbling with rage right now, anyone would be scared less at his threatening figure.
 
However, the three thugs were not faltered by him. The tattooed guy gave him a dark smirk, stepping towards him and saying, "Yo mama."
 
Seriously? How old were these guys? 'Yo mama' jokes were so last year.
 
"Wrong answer." Jiyong snickered and lunged a fist towards his fugly face, instantaneously knocking him dead.
 
The other guys took a sharp intake of breath upon seeing their member fall dead on the asphalt ground. 
 
He knocked him out with one solid punch. Even Dara was amazed. She took this time to study him—she observed his muscles flexing right beneath his thin white low-scoop neck tank. Despite looking lanky, he was lean, muscles tensing every time he clenched his fists. She also noticed his tattoos on his shoulder blade and he had a few more, attached artistically on his body. Standing proudly like a boss, he was the epitome of a badass gangster. 
 
"Who's next?" Jiyong taunted, eyes dangerously shooting daggers at the two guys who stood nervously and motionlessly.
 
The bald guy whipped out a pocket knife and tried to slash it haphazardly towards Jiyong, "Move back!"
 
"Or what?" Jiyong growled, a smirk never leaving his lips.
 
"Or I'll, I'll...." The bald guy was scared less, he couldn't even form a sentence. Note this, he was far bigger, more muscular than Jiyong but he looked like a timid little cat.
 
"You're wasting my time." Jiyong scowled, and skillfully flung his leg towards his face. After which he grabbed the guy by his shoulders and kneed him hard in the gut, earning a painful howl from the guy. He released his knife onto the floor and spat out a massive amount of blood, due to the strong impact. He staggered, and shook his head, his vision probably getting hazed. He attempted to deliver a punch towards Jiyong but he was too slow. 
 
"This is for Dara." Jiyong threw him three punches in the face, first his jaw, then his left temple, then his nose. The poor guy was knocked out and beaten up badly, his face couldn't even be recognized anymore. He was bleeding to death.
 
"Lay a finger on Dara and I'll ing cut your balls and feed them to the dogs, you son of a !" Jiyong threatened, giving him another kick in his gut.
 
Jiyong was about to charge at the remaining guy but he was too chicken and ended up bawling his eyes out like a baby, he was literally on his knees begging him to spare his life. "P-please. Please don't k-kill me, G-Dragon-nim. Spare my life. I have a family."
 
"Oh. So, now you recognize me." Jiyong uttered, eyes blazing with anger, still. 
 
He grabbed his shirt tightly and brought his pathetic face towards his, and gave him a long killer stare. He was about to lunge a punch but abruptly stopped when he felt Dara's dainty hands wrapped tightly around his torso, "Ji, don't. That's enough."
 
Scowling in frustration, he sighed deeply and let him go. "You're lucky. I don't want to see your ing face anywhere near Dara. Understand?!" He spat, earning a vigorous nod from the poor guy. "Now scram!" The guy strode off stiffly, with an emphatic limp.
 
Turning around to face Dara, his heart constricted upon seeing her battered, badly bruised face. She looked like a wreck. It pained him to see her like this. Dara reached out to his face and his cheek gently, whispering, "Are you okay? You're not hurt anywhere right?"
 
Grabbing her forearm, he snickered, anger swept across his face, "You're asking me if I'm fine? Look at yourself Dara! Those motherfu-"
 
"Shhhhhh... It's okay. I'm okay." Dara brought her forefinger towards his lips to shush him. "I'm so sorry." 
 
"Why are you apologizing?" His eyebrows creased in confusion, still holding her forearm.
 
"I'm sorry for being mean to you earlier. I shouldn't have yelled. I shouldn't have-" she choked, tears streaming down her cheeks.
 
This time, it was Jiyong's time to shush her. Dara could barely stand, her legs giving up on her. But Jiyong supported her weak body by looping a strong arm around her waist and pulling her closer. He wiped her tears with his bloody hand and brought their foreheads together. "I'm sorry for being a . It's partly my fault as well."
 
Dara wrapped her arms around him and vice versa. She needed his comfort the most, her body was aching all over but she didn't care. His warm hug was all she needed right now. They stood in locked embrace for a timeless moment, feeling their hearts thump against their chests, hearing their slow breaths. He was there for her, that's all that matters.
 
When they finally broke away, Jiyong gave her a long, measuring look, his eyes playing over her face, before extending out his arm to her, "Let's start all over. I'm Kwon Jiyong, nice to meet you."
 
"I'm Sandara Park, nice to meet you too." Dara responded with a sweet smile and shook his hand lightly. "And I agree to be your girlfriend."
 
Jiyong's face split into a broad smile, not that closed-lip smirk, not that mocking quirk of lips she knew so well. No, this was a genuine, wide grin that transformed his face. "Let's talk later. Let's get you home first." 
 
She drew a deep, shuddering breath and nodded meekly whilst he scooped her in his arms, carrying her bridal-style into the cold night. She brought her face closer to his chest, closed her eyes and inhaled in satisfaction.
 
It already feels like home with you holding me so close like this.