Jung Jae Sun

New Life

""Hyung!! Hyung-nim!! Wait for me!!" I yelled out, running towards the two guys walking ahead of me. They turned around to face me and the older boy laughed.

The younger of the two yelled out back at me. "Hurry up! We're going to be late!" They stopped and waited for the exhausted me to catch up to them and we walked off together. The older boy put his arms around my shoulder and ruffled my hair playfully.

Go Hyun Won and Go Hyun Suk. I had met the two of them two years back when I was 14. I used to see them everyday but had never talked to them before. They were always running around, with the occasional bruises on their arms and faces, but it never seemed as though they cared. They got into a lot of trouble with tourists but the villagers never really minded them. I was always curious about the two. Living in a rural, isolated village can make even the most trivial things seem exciting. So one day, I secretly followed them at night to a house and the older boy was standing outside of it alone. I was hiding behind a small hut when I accidently fell when I tried to peek over at what they were doing. The boy standing on the outside of the house was alerted by the sound and immediately became aware of my presence. He rushed over to me to check who it was and when he saw me, he knelt down to look at me, who was still on the ground. 

"What are you doing out so late?" he asked me, wondering what I was doing out there.

"...I could ask you the same question..." I said back while looking at the hand I had cut when I fell. 

"I-"

He was interrupted by the other boy he was usually seen with. "Hyung!!". When he saw the two of us, he ran over to us and looked at me. He turned back to his brother and asked him who I was. 

"I'm Jung Jae Sun. I live at the orphanage. Name?"

"I'm Go Hyun Suk. This here is my younger brother, Hyun Won." said the boy who had found me first as he playfully put his arm around his brother and pulled him down, ruffling his hair.

"Aish, hyung!!" he said, irritated, as he pulled away from the boy. "What are you doing here?" he now turned his attention to me.

"Uh? I'm following you." I said blankly. "What are you doing?"

The two looked at each other before turning back to me. "You really want to know?" the older said to me.

I nodded and he continued. "If we tell you, then you have to keep quiet about it, okay?"

I nodded again and he leaned in closer to whisper to me. "We're stealing things and selling them off at the pawn shop for some money." As soon as he said that, he pulled back and looked at me. 

"Uh? Can you do that?" 

"Why not? It's not like we steal anything important. We just take things that look like it's not being used." the younger said in a louder voice, trying to explain himself. "We just thought me might make a bit of money off things that they don't even need or want."

"Uh? Oh...then can I join you guys?" I asked, looking at the older, as he seemed to be the leader of the two.

"Huh? Why?" he asked me.

"Appa wants money from me but I don't have an so I thought that if I joined you, then I can earn some money and give it to him." I explained. Appa had visited me and Yoogeun last week, asking for some money but I didn't have any to give him. He called me useless and hit me. I didn't want that to happen again. 

"Huh? Sure." the older boy said, and the younger immediately looked at him.

"Hyung, are you sure? She's a kid." 

"I'm not a kid!!" I said to the younger kid, slightly raising my voice.

"...Fine. If hyung said okay, then I'm fine with it." he reluctantly agreed to his brother's decision. "Just...don't get caught."

I nodded and grinned at the two of them. SInce then, our relationship got better and they were like my brothers. Hyun Suk was 2 years older than I was and Hyun Won was a year older. They treated me like a brother and even invited me and Yoogeun over to their house for dinner with their parents. They were good to me, and I was grateful for that.

Two years passed and we still continued what we were doing. Stealing and then selling the stolen items. It provided me with enough money to please my father and still had enough for myself and Yoogeun. 

One day, we were planning on stealing from an isolated house. The owner was rarely seen out, and so, we had planned to sneak in at night when he would be asleep. Hyuk Won was sick and was thus unable to join us, leaving it up to his older brother and me.

"Hyung-nim. Are you sure we want to do this?" I asked him, one last time on the night.

"Hm? Why, what's wrong?"

"It's just that..." I motioned him to come closer and he did. "I heard that the owner of the house was kind of...crazy." I whispered to him.

"Ahh..don't worry. As long as we don't get caught, then it's fine." he assured me.

"Uh? Okay." I nodded.

"Remember the plan?"

I nodded once again. "I sneak in, grab whatever that can be sold, sneak back out before anyone notices something while you stay watch outside."

"Good." he smiled back at me, ruffling my short wavy hair. "Ready?"

I nodded back and grinned at him. We found the window we had planned to use and he lifted me up into it. When I successfully entered the house, I looked around. It was dark, with only the moonlight as my source of light, dimly lighting up the room. I found a small torch and decided to use it before I stumbled into anything, risking exposure. I wondered around the small house, looking for something. But it was empty. All but a one seater couch, a bed, and a table and chair. I looked around and couldn't find anything or anyone. Then suddenly, a hand grabbed me on the shoulders forcefully and turned me around. It was the man. I let out a scream when I saw the knife in his hands and kicked him. He loosened his grip from the pain and I tried to run out the front door but it was locked. I turned around but he was already standing in front of me. I heard hyung-nim's voice from the outside, shouting, asking me if I was okay. I couldn't answer and tried to run around the man, but he grabbed me again. He had a look in his eyes. A look that thirsted for blood. I was scared and shut my eyes as he drew his knife closer to my face, barely touching it. Just before he could cut me, the door was kicked down. I looked to see hyung-nim standing there, and he tackled the man down. He grabbed the man by the collar with one hand, while the other punched him in the face. When he thought that he had fallen unconcious, he ran over to me and knelt down.

"Are you okay? Are you hurt?" he asked me, worried.

I got up from the floor and nodded. "Hyung-nim, let's get out of here."

He got up, ready to leave, when the man got up and stabbed Hyun Suk from the back with his knife. I froze and felt the blood being drained from my face as my tears flowed down my face. Blood came out of hyung-nim's mouth and dripped to the floor. He tried to say something to me but he fell to the floor before the words could leave his mouth and the man walked towards me. I wanted to do something, but I couldn't. I couldn't move. He was laughing as he came closer to me. He clutched his knife even tighter as he drew his arm back, ready to attack. Hyung-nim then got up from the floor and tackled the man again. He looked back at the shocked me and yelled.

"Run!!"

...

"Jae Sun, get the hell out of here!!"

...

"Jae Sun!! Run!!"

I came about and saw hyung-nim shouting, asking me to run away, while he was struggling with the man. My tears were overflowing and I turned away from hyung-nim. I ran. I kept running non-stop until I reached hyung-nim's house. I banged on the door loudly until the door was answered by Hyun Won. He was surprised at the crying me and looked around for his hyung.

"Where's hyung?"

"...Hyung-nim...hyung-nim is dying..." 

His eyes widened and he ran towards the house, his parents following behind when they saw their son running. As for me? I simply knelt down in front of the doorway, crying. I had run away. I had abandoned a friend. All to save myself. I was a coward...I was a murderer... 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

End of chapter~ Umm....yeah...not much to say. Thoughts?