Goodbye and Thank You

New Life

The next day came and it was a Sunday morning. Jae woke up to the ringing of her alarm and got up to shut it. She lay back on her bed and sighed to herself. 

What was I doing...I shouldn't have done what I did yesterday...he'll only get hurt more the longer I spend time with him...I have to do it soon...

Her phone rang, interrupting her thoughts. It was the same number that had called her. It was him. She sighed and answered it.

"Remember me? Today's your last day."

"...I know."

"Good. Now, once you're done, I want you to leave the house. Tonight."

"..." she closed her eyes, remembering what he had said earlier. "...I get it."

"Good. Let's see how you'll manage." He hanged up and Jae was left to her own thoughts. 

She looked at her phone for a while before sighing to herself and dialing a number. When the recepient answered, she closed her eyes before saying anything.

"Kibum-oppa, can we meet up? There's something I have to tell you."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hey. Is there something wrong?" Key asked Jae as soon as she arrived at the meet up spot.

It was the same park they had been to just the night before. She had chosen a relatively quiet spot of the park to talk, not wanting outsiders to watch. She wanted to do this quietly.

She looked down, trying to gain some strength, before looking back up at Key.  "I want to break up."

Key laughed a slightly awkward laugh. "Wh-what?"

"I'm not joking. I want to break up." she said with her eyes still on his face.

"...What are you talking about?" he said, his smile slowly disappearing. He knew she was being serious.

"I...I'm just tired." she said as she let out a sigh. "Of everything. Of this whole facade."

"What-"

"I pretended to be someone I'm not. I pretended to be someone you would fall for, just so that I can use you. I was bored."

Key remained speechless as she went on. He couldn't believe what she was saying.

"But now...it's not quite as fun as I thought it was. Looks like once you beat the game, it's no longer fun. It's getting boring. All of it." 

"Jae-" he was cut off again before he could say anything else.

"I'm just tired of putting up with this facade. The person you fell for isn't real. She doesn't exist." she paused for a second before continuing on. "It's just a game. Nothing more."

Key couldn't say anything. Something wasn't right but he didn't know what it was. He didn't know what to say or think.

"That's all I wanted to tell you. I won't be bothering you anymore. And so, you shouldn't bother with me too. It was fun while it lasted. Thanks." she said, turning away from him and walking off, trying not to make a sound as the tears ran down her cheeks. 

Key stood still, looking at her back as she went further and further away. Without him knowing it, tears were running down his cheek, falling to the ground. He couldn't accept what had just happened. Don't look back...if you really meant what you said...don't look back...

Don't look back...you've already chosen...don't look back... Jae told herself as she walked away, tears, still running down her cheek. As soon as she was out of sight, she dropped on her knees, crying. 

When Jae was out of sight, Key fell to his knees and cried. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jae returned back home after she had collected herself, and immediately went up to her room. The house was empty as the meat store had to be tended to, Onew had gone out to meet with Jonghyun, and Yoogeun was over at a friend's. This gave her enough time to pack her belongings. She packed her belongings into a small luggage bag. It was about time the family came back and she heard the door opening. She hid her packed bag, and went down to greet them.

When dinner was served, they ate normally, happily chatting about each other's day. Jae acted as though nothing had happened, treasuring what seemed to be the last time she'd spend with her family. It seemed as though Onew hadn't heard about what had happened earlier during the day between Key and Jae and she was glad. 

She waited in her room until everyone fell asleep. It was time for her to leave and when she took her phone, she paused to look at the iPod on the table. She remembered about the recording. She put it in an envelope, addressed to Key, and left in in her desk. She went to Yoogeun's room and gently placed her hand on his head. He was fast asleep, ignorant of what was happening.

"Yoogeun ah, noona has to go. I'm sorry I'm leaving without saying anything. But you're not alone anymore. You have a real family now. One that can protect you more than I can." she said softly to her brother. "Goodbye."

She stood up, and quietly left the room. As she looked around the house, she left an envelope on the coffee table and quietly sneaked out the front door carefully, not wanting to wake anyone up. As she stood in front of the house, she took a deep breath in and closed her eyes. 

"Goodbye....and thank you...for everything."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Is this the bus to Handeumi Village?"

"That's right."

 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

End of chapter~~ Don't really know what to say so....thoughts? =)