Basketball Practice

From "I Hate You" to "I Love You"

It was half past four. Lessons had just ended for you. Your classmates waved goodbye to you and one by one they left the room. You copied down the Physics homework assigned. With a tired sigh, you flopped onto your chair and began clearing your desk. Glancing around, you realised that you were the only one in class.

Suddenly, the door flew open and a panting figure emerged. You dropped your pencil in shock and spun around.

“Oh unnie! Don’t do that! You almost gave me a heart attack!” you put your right hand over your chest and gasped.

Subin gave a tired chuckle.

“Ppali! Practice had just started! Don’t you want to watch your prince charming train?” she wriggled her eyebrows and winked at you.

You turned beet red. You furrowed your eyebrows and tried to think of a snappy comeback.

“He’s not my prince charming! What about you and Kai oppa? And it’s not my fault that class ended half an hour late!” you pouted and argued back.

“Fine fine! But let’s hurry; don’t you want to watch the boys’ basketball practice?” Subin held her hands up in defense.

You nodded and swept the papers on your desk into your bag. Swinging your bag over your shoulder, you left the classroom.

--

 The gymnasium was filled with boys from the basketball team.

You and Subin found the girls sitting at the telescoping bleachers. The two of you quickly made your way towards them.

“You came just on time!” Sohee moved over and made spaces for you and Subin to sit. You smiled and watch the grueling practice.

The girls cheered whenever the boys scored or did amazing basketball stunts.

“Yah! Did you see Chanyeol oppa dribble that ball? That’s incredible,” Sohee covered and squealed.

“Kya! Baekhyun oppa looked so cool!” Jimin screamed in excitement after Baekhyun managed to shoot the ball into the net.

You softly chuckled at the squealing girls. However, your heart did a double take when you lock eyes with Sehun. Flushing, you managed a soft smile in his direction. He did seem to notice but quickly turned away when Suho called him.

Sehun caught the ball deftly in his hand. Jumping up, he dunked the ball into the net and ran back to the middle court. The boys cheered and Kai slapped his back.

“No wonder he’s the captain,” Eunmi mused, “Good job Sehun oppa!” She called and waved.

You silently cheered for Sehun and a wide smile plastered on your face.  

The coach blew his whistle and signaled for break time. The boys ran back to the locker rooms to retrieve their towels and bottles.

Now, there were only six boys left on the court.

“How was our performance today?” D.O. asked as the five boys walked towards the bleachers.

Eunmi held out two thumbs and grinned. Tossing a bottle of mineral water at him, she patted the space besides herself.

The girls handed bottles of waters and towels to the boys.

“You did great! All of you,” you beamed at the boys and stood up.

“Yo, captain! Come here,” Chanyeol’s deep voice resounded throughout the gymnasium.

Sehun stopped dribbling the ball and walked towards Chanyeol’s direction. Your eyes lit up and and grabbed the bottle of water on the bleachers.

“No thanks, I’m heading back to the locker room,” Sehun said before walking away.

Your heart sank upon hearing Sehun’s words. Sighing softly, you walked away. You were at the door when someone shouted from behind.

“Hey! Is that for me?”

*Is that Sehun? Oh my god, I can’t believe he called me.*

You blushed and spun around to face him. Your shoulders deflated upon realizing that it was not Sehun.

You met eyes with a boy whose hair was dyed dark orange. He had his left hand in the side pocket of his track pants. You took a step back and peered at the attractive boy inquiringly.

*Who is this boy? Is he from the team too?*

The boy flashed his pearly whites and pointed to the bottle in your right hand. You glanced at him, surprised.

“I said is that bottle of water for me?” the boy repeated and tilted his head to observe you.

“Oh, you didn’t bring your bottle? Here, take this then,” you returned an amiable smile and passed him the bottle.

In a distance, Destiny and EXO-K eyed at you suspiciously. Even Sehun stopped in his tracks and watched.

*What is she doing with Hyunwoo? How on earth did Inhee know Hyunwoo?* Sehun furrowed his eyebrows and stared intently at the two of you.

“Thanks!” the boy opened the bottle and drank the contents in one gulp.

“B-But who are you?” you shyly asked, curiosity building up inside you.

“Oh, where did my manners go? I’m Hyunwoo. Shin Hyunwoo,” he flashed another dazzling smile and ruffled your hair. You bit your tongue and managed a small smile.

The coach blew his whistle again. The boys started to jog back to the court for further practice.

“Shin Hyunwoo! Back to practice!” Sehun called sharply.

“Later Inhee,” he winked before running back to the court. On a second thought, he tossed his towel in your direction and saluted.

Even with fast reflexes, you had barely managed to catch the towel. You blinked at him in shock. *How did he know my name?*

“Yah! Park Inhee!” Hana waved at you.

You walked back to bleachers and sat down beside Eunmi.

“Yah! Who is that cute boy?” Subin inquired.

The others waited for your answer in anticipation. You ducked your head down and shook your head.

“I don’t know! His name is Shin Hyunwoo and he just wanted a drink,” you briefly answered them before shifting your gaze to the boys practicing.

"Oh! If that's the case, why is his towel with you?" Hana retorted back.

"Are you going to dump Sehun oppa for him?" Eunmi questioned innocently.

The girls teased you endlessly. You blushed hard and whacked them on the arm playfully.

"Yah! Just watch them play, okay!"