Volleyball Finals

From "I Hate You" to "I Love You"

It was the day of the final volleyball tournament for the girls.  The winner today will be able to clinch the trophy. This year, the game was held in Seoul Academy. 

You changed into your volleyball jersey and closed your locker. *It's our big game today! The winner today is going to take the trophy home. No matter what I have to lead the team to victory! * You took in a deep breath and calmed yourself down.
 
"Inhee, let's go! I can't wait to win the game against Hansung! Is your wrist okay?" Subin bounced up to you and hooked her arm with yours. You nodded and grinned at her. 
 
"Just hope that the captain doesn't screw up during the match. Who knows what will happen," Saerom sneered as she stalked away. Your face fell. 
 
"Don't listen to her! I'm sure that you will lead us to victory!" Sohee wrapped an arm around yours. You forced out a smile and walked off with the two girls.
 
By now, the gymnasium is full of students and parents. However the girls and the boys had came to the gymnasium early to save themselves good seats.
 
"I hope Seoul Academy can clinch the trophy again!" Eunmi mused as she tapped her bottom lip in thought. 
 
"Yeah, I think Inhee must be really nervous!" Jimin commented as she leaned against Baekhyun. 
 
The gymnasium suddenly burst into cheers. Nine heads shot up as they too clapped loudly. 
"Woohoo! Go Seoul Academy! Go unnies!" Eunmi waved her beautifully decorated banner and screamed. The players began to stream in. You look up to the bleacher and saw your friends. Meekly waving, you walked to the bleachers. Subin and Sohee beamed and waved at the audience. 
 
"Inhee looks sick and stressed," Kai observed. 
 
You took a huge gulp of water and walked back to Coach Lee. He gathered all the players for a brief pep talk.
"We are at the finals! Come on, let's in all our best and make the school proud, our friends and family proud and our own selves proud!" He placed his hand in the middle. Everyone looked at you expectantly. You slowly extended your hand and everyone piled theirs on top of yours. 
 
"Go Seoul Academy!" The girls cheered as they got into their positions. 
 
You walked towards the referee and met Yoomi, Hansung High's volleyball captain. 
 
"I never knew you became captain after you transferred. We have lost a star player," Yoomi lightly joked as she tossed the coin on the table. 
You nodded and flipped the coin too. "This is the finals, my team wants to win as much as your team. For now, we'll put aside the fact that we are friends," you softly smiled and shook her hand. "Deal!" Yoomi tightened the grip. 
 
"I want a fair game played today," the referee eyed at both of you. Both of you nodded and went to your respectively position. 
The opposite team served first. Yoomi took the ball from the referee and spiked the ball over. You stared at the ball and jumped hitting the ball over. However,  the defender stretched out her hands and blocked the ball. The ball landed on the ground before Subin could dive in and make a move. 
 
"Seoul Academy: 0 Hansung High: 1" the host shouted. Half of the gymnasium erupted into cheers. You pursed your lips and your eyes hardened. *! Hansung High had became better in defence* 
"Nice one, captain!" Saerom hissed. 
 
"You should be on defence with Subin. The ball is near you, why the hell didn't you save it?" You growled and glared at her. Saerom scoffed and shrugged her shoulders defiantly. You blew your fringe and sighed, trying to control your anger.
 
The game began again. This time, you were the one who served. Mentally calculating the spot that you should serve to, you threw the ball high into the air and spiked the ball over. However, the reflexes of the attacker was fast as she dashed to the spot and attempted a successful dig. The ball flew over the court and Sohee jumped up and smacked the ball. But the ball had hit the net and landed in your court. The opposite team had scored again. You bit your lip and inwardly sighed. 
 
It was Saerom's turn to serve. She smirked at you and tossed the ball into the air. The ball landed over the net and Yoomi delivered a precise dig which caused the ball to fly over the net. You ran forward and jumped. However, you had exerted too much pressure on your left wrist. The ball smoothly sailed forward but you felt a sharp pain. Gasping, you encircled your wrist and clenched your teeth tightly. Tears threatened to fall out. *! My wrist isn't properly recovered yet.*
 
"Inhee! The ball!" Soomi, one of the team players cried. You looked up and your eyes widened. You immediately launched forward and hit the ball.  You were a second too late. The ball landed on the ground with a loud thud. You were also sprawled on the ground. Your knees hit the hard wooden floor and you winced. Subin came to you and worriedly stared at you. She offered her hand to pull you up. You dusted your hands and got back into the position.
 
Hansung High had already won 2 consecutive sets and now the team was leading by two points. Another two consecutive wins would result them in winning the finals. Coach Lee called for a break and gathered for another talk. 
 
"This is the crucial part. We must not let them score again or else we'll be in danger of losing the game. Yunie, you replace Saerom. Chaekyung, go replace Misun. And lastly, Yoonhee replaces Soomi. Chaekyung, Subin and Yunie defend well.  Inhee, Sohee and Yoonhee focus on attacking. Try as far as possible to score consecutively. Remember, don't underestimate the ability of the other team. They have gotten stronger," he stated calmly. The girls nodded and cheered before returning to the game.
Saerom glared furiously at you and huffed before stalking off the bleachers. 
 
This time, luck was on your side. The opposite team seemed to be over confident which led your team to gain two points. Now, both teams were at a draw. Both teams need to score two more points in order to win the set. 
 
Yoonhee spiked the ball forward, it landed squarely in the area where no one was guarding. Your team had scored again! The gymnasium erupted into loud cheers. *The last point to win the set!* You focused at the opposite team with the ball in your hand. You tried to think of the flaws in the other team. Smirking, you deliver a hard smack and the ball went soaring. But the other team reacted fast and managed to hit the ball back. Your brows furrowed as you attempted a powerful dig and Sohee jumped up and hit the ball. The ball went spinning fast as it went into the opponent court. The speed of the ball was too fast that before they could make a move, the ball already landed on the ground. The whistle was blown. Seoul Academy had won the third set. You hi-fived your teammates and grinned at them. 
 
After a short break, you went back to play. The fourth set ended quickly with your team barely winning. Now, it was the last set that determined the winner. 
 
You took a deep breath and stretched at the side of the bleachers. You looked up and saw the faces of your close friends cheering for you. You smiled and pumped your fist in the air. However, the smile slowly slipped of your face when you saw Saerom snuggling closely against Sehun. She saw you and rolled her eyes. You bit your lips to prevent tears from streaming out. 
 
"Inhee, come on!" Subin called as she wrapped an arm around you and led to back into the court. You smiled weakly as players placed their hands over yours and cheered.
 
The fifth set started with the rival team scoring twice consecutively. Your shoulders slumped in defeat as you prepared to serve. You glanced back to the bleachers again to see Sehun Saerom's hair. You swallowed hard. Taking in a deep breath, you threw the ball high up and jumped. But you aimed at the wrong place, making the ball fall outside of the court. In the process, your left wrist throbbed in pain and you massaged it. *Inhee! Get a grip of yourself. We are 3 points behind and if this continues the opposite team will win.* you tried to shake off the disheartening thoughts. 
 
"Go Seoul Academy! Go Park Inhee!" You heard Hyunwoo's voice from the bleachers. *That's right! Hyunwoo is now my boyfriend and he is out there cheering for me and the team. I should focus on the game and lead the team to victory!*  You set your lips in a firm line and stared ahead. 
 
"9:9" The host announced as he flipped the card. Your team had made two more consecutive scores making half of the gymnasium scream wildly. You grinned and hi-fived the players. 
 
The score board now showed 13:12. Your team need another two more points to win the tournament. You rubbed your hands together and positioned yourself. "Go Seoul Academy! Seoul Academy jjang!" Screams and shouts of encouragement from the crowd could be heard. You glanced at Sohee and she gave you a thumbs up sign. You nodded your head as the whistle was blown. The opposite set the ball over in which you perform a perfect dig to Yoonhee. She jumped up and spiked the ball forward. The ball flew over the net and landed squarely on the ground where no one was guarding. The gymnasium erupted into cheers again. You wiped a bead of sweat away and hugged Yoonhee. 
 
You took the ball from the referee and walked towards the service line. "Go Inhee! Go captain! You can do it!" Your teammates and the audience shouted words of encouragement. *This is it! The last point to victory! I can't make any mistakes!* You thought to yourself. You turned to the audience and managed a weak smile. From the corner of your eye, you noticed Sehun cuddling with Saerom. Your heart sank as you witness the loving moment. Shaking your head to get rid of the thoughts, you narrowed your eyes and focused on the ball. Throwing up into the air with your right hand, you hit the ball with your left. A searing pain shot through your wrist as you gasped in pain. Tears gathered in your eyes as you sank to the ground, grabbing your wrist to numb the pain. 
 
The ball flew over the net. You hissed in pain and painfully brought your head up. You bit your lip in worry, afraid that you had applied too much pressure and that the ball with be land outside the court area. The ball landed with a loud thud. It was just millimetres away from the line that demarcated the court area. A small smile creeped onto your face as you dropped onto the ground in relief. You had did it! Seoul Academy had won! 
 
Tears of happiness mixed with tears of pain cascaded down your cheeks. Subin and Sohee looked at you in worry and rushed to your side.
 
"Gwenchana? Did you get hurt again?" Sohee bent down and took your hand in hers. You winced and your face contorted in agony and you nodded weakly. 
 
"Come on! We have to get you bandaged!" Subin gently tugged you into a standing position. 
 
In the stands, Sehun had straightened up after seeing your painful expression. *Did Inhee hurt herself again?* His brows furrowed as he watched Hyunwoo run to you. Sehun bit his lip and sighed after seeing Hyunwoo wrapped a comforting arm around you. Together with Subin, Sohee and Hyunwoo, the four of you went to the infirmary. 
 
 
A/N: Finally managed to update! Sorry for the long hiatus. Look forward to seeing your comments. Thank you for supporting this story. Need to study for MYEs now. Goodnight!