Christmas Shopping

From "I Hate You" to "I Love You"

You were having a last minute Christmas shopping at Myungdong. You were dressed in a long red plaid coat with black leggings and a pair of boots. You tightened the white scarf Hyunwoo had given to you around your neck as a cold gust of wind blew past, sending your hair flying. Curling a strand of loose hair behind your ear, you hurriedly stepped into a clothes shop.

*Wahh... It’s so warm in here.* You placed your icy hands in front of the heater at the entrance. Rubbing your cold hands together, you sighed in content.

*Hmm... What shall I get for the unnies and maknae?* You thoughtfully pursed your lips and walked towards the ladies’ section. Suddenly, a black and white checkered winter hat caught your eye. You tapped your bottom lip and tried picturing Subin wearing it. *Aha! It suits her style her style. One down, ten more to go!* You quickly paid for it at the counter and left the shop.

----

Soon, it was 1pm and you had just finished purchasing all the girls’ Christmas gifts. You came out of the sports store, satisfied that you had managed to find gifts for both Hana and Jimin. The two girls were hardcore tennis players. Being the captain and vice-captain of the club, you had decided to buy them each a tennis racket. Feeling extremely happy that you had managed to get suitable gifts for your closest friends, you hummed a merry tune under your breath and skipped down the snow slicked pavement.

*Now is the time to shop for the oppas’ gifts. Should I buy something for Hyunwoo sunbae too? But I won’t be seeing him over the holidays. How do I pass the gift to him? Maybe I should ask the oppas for sunbae’s address so I can mail it over to him.* You were too engrossed in your thoughts that you did not see someone walking in your direction.

“Ooff—“you bumped into a man and fell on your . The shopping bags that you were holding dropped onto the ground. *Oww... Clumsy me!* You bit your bottom lip and tried to get up.

“Hey! I’m sorry! Are you alright?” the man held out his hand. *His voice sounds so familiar. Who can it be?*

“No, I’m my fault. I should have been more care—“you looked up and gaped, “Omo! Hyunwoo sunbae, is that you?”

“Fancy meeting you here,” Hyunwoo winked and pulled you up. You flushed and fanned your cheeks that were turning red. Hyunwoo chuckled.

“Mianhae, I wasn’t looking at where I was going,” you habitually stuck out your bottom lip as you dusted your coat.  *She’s so cute* Hyunwoo laughed even more.

Furrowing your eyebrows, you bent down and began to pick up your shopping bags. Hyunwoo saw and helped. The two of you reached for the last bag on the ground simultaneously. His hand brushed against yours. Electricity zapped through your fingers and you immediately pulled back.

“Thanks,” you muttered shyly. Hyunwoo laughed quietly and nodded. He noticed the scarf on your neck and smiled, elated that you had worn his gift.

“Are you hungry? Have you eaten lunch?” Hyunwoo questioned. Just then, your stomach grumbled and you pinked.

“I’ll take that as a no. Come on, let’s have lunch together. My treat,” Hyunwoo offered and held out his hand.

“Sure sunbae,” you beamed and slipped your hand into his.

The two of you went to the nearest dukbokki restaurant.

“Two plates of dukbokki and two plates of dumplings please,” Hyunwoo ordered.

You dug into the plate of dukbokki immediately after the food had arrived.

“That hungry?” Hyunwoo watched you eat, amused.

“Hmm... I’ve been shopping since morning. Ahhh... So spicy, just perfect for such a chilly weather like this. Sunbae, you should start eating before the food turns cold,” you pointed at his plate and popped a dumpling into your mouth.

*She’s so adorable.* Hyunwoo broke his chopsticks into two and rubbed them together before eating.

After a hearty lunch, the two of you were back on the streets again.

“Ahhh... I’m so full. That was a great lunch. But sunbae, you should have just let me handled the bill since I haven’t got you anything yet,” you pouted and rubbed your flat stomach.

“That will probably burn a hole in your wallet. After all, you’ve been shopping since morning,” Hyunwoo joked as he gestured at the bags you and him were holding.

You softened. *Hyunwoo sunbae is so considerate. Even though he’s joking, he still cares.*

“Hey! Earth to Park Inhee! Need my help in selecting the guys’ gifts?” Hyunwoo’s eyes twinkled.

“Sure! Why not?” you tilted your head and nodded.

The two of you first went to the men’s section in a clothes store to pick out a checkered sweater for Suho. You saw a small make shift shop that sold winter accessories in the middle of the busy street. Nudging Hyunwoo, you pointed to the simple shop and pulled him along.

“Omo! Isn’t that cute?” You tried on a pair of light pink earmuffs and held a peace sign over your eyes.

“Do you like it?” Hyunwoo took out his wallet, intending to pay for it.

“Ani, sunbae! You’ve already bought this scarf for me. I will feel very bad if you buy me another gift,” you gently grabbed onto his arm and shook his head.

“Araso,” Hyunwoo smiled and tucked his wallet into his back pocket.

Finally, after letting Hyunwoo (be a model) and try on all sorts of accessories, you decided to buy a apir of gloves for Baekhyun, a baseball cap for Chanyeol and a scarf for D.O.

*Ten down, one more to go!* You cheered silently as a smile plastered onto your smile. You dragged Hyunwoo out of the shop and went to search for a gift for Sehun. Just then, another make shift shop down the street caught your eye. *Aha! A perfect gift for Hyunwoo sunbae!* You glanced down at Hyunwoo’s battered watch and beamed.

“Sunbae! Over here!” You waved excitedly. You were fascinated by the different varieties of watches, ranging from analogue to digital on display.

“How about this?” You picked up a black digital watch on the table and showed it to Hyunwoo. “Come on! Try it!” You urged Hyunwoo. He stared at you in mild surprise before take off his watch and trying on the new one.

You clasped your hands together and muttered, “Perfect!” Hyunwoo stared at you, puzzled.

“Ahjumma, we’ll be having this then,” you smiled and handed her a green bill.

“Early Christmas gift,” you placed the bow onto Hyunwoo’s palm and skipped away. *Now I have to find something for Sehun.*

Hyunwoo cracked a smile and jogged forward to catch up with you.

“Thanks for the gift, I’ll wear it well,” Hyunwoo broke into a smile. You beamed, both happy and relieved that he liked your gift.

“What does your captain likes?” You turned around suddenly and inquired. Surprise flashed on Hyunwoo’s face as he automatically took a step back.

“Sehun? He likes basketball a lot,” Hyunwoo answered immediately.

*Basketball? Should I get him something that has to do with the sport he plays? Maybe, a pair of basketball shoes would suit him.* You walked in the direction of sports store that you have previously visited. You stopped in front of the rack of men’s’ sports shoes.

*There are so many different designs. I wonder what Sehun would like?* Your eyes scanned down the category labeled ‘Basketball’. A pair of white basketball shoes with blue ts caught your attention.

“Will he like this?” You held up the shoe on display.

“Hmm... It suits him,” Hyunwoo commented. He pursed his lips when you asked him about Sehun’s shoe size. Nonetheless, Hyunwoo still helped you with your purchase. *I don’t like the way Inhee talks about Sehun. It can’t be she likes him right? After all, the whole school knows Sehun is in love with the volleyball captain.* Hyunwoo shook his head and followed you out of the store.

 ----

“Sunbae, thanks for sending me home. I’ll see you next year. Happy holidays!” You bowed as he handed you the shopping bags.

“It’s my pleasure. I’ll get going then. Once again, thanks for the gift!” Hyunwoo saluted as he climbed on his motorcycle and drove away. You laughed and waved back.

*Phew! I’m so tired!* You unlocked the door and dragged the shopping bags in your room. You took out the nicely wrapped presents and eleven small Christmas cards you had bought earlier. Carefully, you took out your felt-tipped pens and began to write Christmas messages on the cards. After half an hour of decorating, you leaned back and beamed, admiring the gifts.

*I should probably mail the presents to them. After all, I may not be able to see them over the winter break.* You wrote their addresses in neat, cursive handwriting on pieces of white paper and stuck them onto the wrapping paper.

You placed the gifts into a huge bag and went downstairs to have a drink. You left the house and went to the nearest post office. *I feel like Santa Claus giving out presents except I don’t have a white beard.* You chuckled at that thought and hummed a Christmas song under your breath.