New Friends

From "I Hate You" to "I Love You"

You stopped and glanced around warily. A group of five girls was looking at your direction. One of them had stepped out of the group and was waving at you, beckoning you to go over. You stepped back unsurely and pointed your index finger at yourself. That girl nodded and waved more urgently. You gulped and grabbed the sides of your bag before walking over.

“Hey! I haven’t seen you before. Are you new?” That same girl questioned.

You nodded nervously, afraid they will hurt you.

“Hana unnie, you’re scaring her,” another girl whose hair was tied up into two pigtails stepped beside Hana and chuckled.

“Don’t mind Hana unnie. She has a fierce appearance but she’s really nice,” she turned to you and slung her arm over your shoulder.

Your eyes widened at that close contact.

Hana stuck her tongue out and smiled apologetically, “Annyeonghaseyo, Kim Hana imnida. Nice to meet you,” She stretched out her hand to shake yours.

“Annyeonghaseyo, Choi Jimin imnida,” the girl with pigtails beamed at you.

“Annyeong! Jung Sohee imnida!”

Yoon Subin imnida.” She put a peace sign over her eyes.

You nodded and managed a small smile.

“Annyeong! Maknae Baek Eunmi imnida!” she eye-smiled at you.

“And we are Destiny, Seoul Academy’s queenkas!”

The five girls introduced themselves.

You gawked at them. *They are the queenkas? But why would they talk to me?*

“So newbie, what’s your name?” Subin asked.

“Erm.. Annyeonghaseyo, Park Inhee imnida,” you stuttered and bowed awkwardly.

“Omo! What a cute name that goes with a cute girl,” Sohee squealed, “Welcome to Destiny! Leader unnie chose the right girl!” She turned towards you and pinched your cheeks.

You started at them in shock. *The queenkas want me to be their friends and join their clique?!*

“Y-you want me to be part of y-your group? I-I mean you are the queenkas and I’m j-just a transfer student-” you trailed off. Blinking at them unsurely, you looked down at the ground.

“Why not?” Leader Hana tilted her head and scruntinised you, “You look pretty decent and nice. Yep, you’re in.” She clapped her hand across your back.

You looked up and smiled at her friendliness. It felt so great to be able to make friends so quickly.

“So when your birthday, Inhee-sshi?” Eunmi piped up suddenly.

“Oh, 15 November, Eunmi-sshi,” you replied.

“Great! That’s so great! That means I’m still the youngest. Oh, Inhee unnie, drop the formalities. Just call me Eunmi and the others unnies since they are all older than the both of us,” Eunmi grinned happily and winked at you.

 The members chuckled at the adorable maknae and you managed to laugh at her cute words.

--

The girls were chatting happily with you when the final bell rang. Students began to rush into their respective classrooms, afraid to be tardy. The girls went to collect their books from their lockers before separating to their different classes.

You found out that you were in the same class as Subin.

*At least I'm with Subin unnie for my first lesson. I will be less awkward in class.* You thought happily.

Linking arms with Subin, the two of you walked into the classroom.