Joy and Fear

[Discontinued] Gone, Not Around Any Longer.

You woke up the next morning, feeling Yongguk’s slow breathing on your face. The both of you were less than 5cm apart, with his face opposite yours. Your vision lingered around his plump lips, and you leaned forward to kiss them.

It woke Yongguk up. He smiled a little before opening his eyes, pulling you closer to him. You hid your face in his chest, inhaling the familiar smell.

You loved him. You loved him so much it hurt. It’s been 20 years, since you first knew Yongguk. He was the only man you ever laid eyes on. Like the polluted air of the city, he was what kept you living on. He was the definition of your life.

Yongguk your hair lovingly. You wanted to be with him, forever, and ever. You didn’t want to spend a single day without him. But you were afraid. You knew it was impossible for a dead man to come back alive. But he wasn’t a ghost.

You didn’t know what was going on, but you didn’t want to find out. Not yet.

You still needed Yongguk in your life.

You had to admit.

You were afraid.

‘I want breakfast.’ You said, pouting. Yongguk looked at you with those brown eyes. Those deep, brown eyes that hid so much. He gave you a small smile and pecked you on the cheek. ‘Pancakes?’ He asked.

You nodded. ‘I wanna help too~’ You tugged on him as he stood up. He carried you out of bed and brought you all the way downstairs, bridal style. You laughed as he played around in the kitchen. He fed you some syrup as he poured it on the pancakes. You made him wear your pink apron.

And you felt so happy. Happiness, something that was unfamiliar to you in the past 3 years. You were so convinced that you need Yongguk to be happy, you didn’t look around. You didn’t see the other people in the world that would be willing to make you happy, every single day.

But you knew now, there were always other people for you. Zelo, Jongup, Himchan, Youngjae, Daehyun, they were always there for you. They fooled around, they comforted you when you were down, they helped you when you needed them.

But you still preferred Yongguk over everything.

No one could bring you happiness the way Yongguk did. A simple kiss, a single word, everything he did made you feel happy. Everything he did brought back memories of the past. You just couldn’t imagine yourself growing old without him beside you.

He wiped the side of your lip which had syrup on it with his thumb, and ate it himself. The both of you ate 4 pancakes each, and were contented with the yummy breakfast. ‘It’s a Saturday. What should we do?’ You asked, back hugging Yongguk as he washed the dishes.

He gave a small smile, and you could tell even though you couldn’t see his face. ‘Let’s just stay at home for a day.’ You expected the answer.

Yongguk was usually a homely type of person. He liked doing chores, cooking, taking care of kids, he was just like a mother. But then again, there were times when he could be all fierce and protective.

‘Help! Please! Help me..’ A woman’s voice came from the back alley. Yongguk was walking home from school with you, his hand clasped with yours. His head turned to where the voice came from, his eyes exchanging glances with you before the both of you ran towards it.

A few men was cornering a young lady, her face tear stained. One of them tugged on the collar of her shirt, pulling it down to reveal her inner wear. Yongguk ran forward without thinking. That was the first time you regret letting go of his hand.

He grabbed a stick and hit one of the men from the back. He was probably the leader of the group, because the other 3 men started covering and defending him. You couldn’t see clearly what was happening, but you managed to comfort the girl that ran towards you.

She was young, probably around your age, a school student. You were 16. She hugged you tightly, gasping for air as she cried. You her back and hid her from seeing the violence that was happening.

Yongguk fell onto the ground. He curled up into a ball as the 2 men that weren’t down kicked him in the guts.

‘It’s the cops! Run!’ You mimicked one of the men’s voice and shouted. They must’ve been really afraid, because the four of them helped each other and ran away before you could count to 5. You ran towards Yongguk, who was trying to sit up straight.

The silly boy was smiling. He grinned at you happily. ‘Good job!’ He chuckled, knowing that the police call was fake. You helped him up, worried about his injuries. The girl he saved earlier gave him a big hug. She continued crying as she thanked him. Yongguk smiled, patting the girl’s head and telling her to head home before it was dark.

Yongguk grinned like a silly boy all the way back home. His injuries weren't light, but he walked like the wind as he held your hand when the both of you walked home. You ordered him to get his onto the couch in your house as you grabbed the first aid kit.

He was still laughing and telling you about how he beat those men up when you applied the medicine on his injuries.

That was how kind hearted he was, the silly young boy that could get injured for saving a stranger and still feel so happy.

You smiled at the memory that came up in your mind.

The phone rang. A text message. Zelo.

‘Hey! Wanna come for some group studying with me and Youngjae tomorrow? We’ll be at Starbucks, 12pm straight.’

You didn’t give it a second thought as you replied. ‘Sure!’ You added a smiley face before sending it.

‘Guk, I’m going for some group studying with my friends tomorrow, okay?’ You said to Yongguk, who was immersed in his movie about wild ducks and grasshoppers. He nodded his head and smiled as he turned his attention to you.

‘But for today..’ He started.

‘..You’re all mine.’

He hugged your waist and pulled you into a sitting position on his lap and the both of you laughed at the movie, which turned out to be a comedy instead of a boring documentary.