A Lie

[Discontinued] Gone, Not Around Any Longer.

 

You didn’t bother telling Zelo as you ran opposite directions from the café and headed to your house instead. Tears were starting the flow from your eyes, and no matter how much you tried to stop them, they stubbornly trickled down your cheeks. You felt like your heart was about to be ripped apart, the emptiness in you ever since Yongguk left slowly seeping into your blood, becoming a daily part of your life.

You were nothing, without Yongguk. You reached home and closed the door behind you before collapsing onto the ground. Your breath was heavy, and your body trembled a lot as you cried your heart out.

When your tears finally stopped, you looked up. You saw a bright light, almost blinding. You winced to see clearly what it was. You made out a figure, quite well build, tall, but most of all, you felt it. The feeling that no one else could give to you. Yongguk. It was him. You stood up, your whole body shaking as you took a step closer to him.

You were afraid, you were afraid that if you touched him he’d be gone, so you didn’t try to. You clenched your fists, and tried to force out a smile for him to show him that you were fine. Yongguk’s lips curved into a beautiful smile, one you’d always see when he was with you. You could smell his familiar scent, you recognized his rather tanned skin, and the look in his eyes when he was looking at you.

But you knew it wasn’t real, you knew he’d disappear. So all you could do was just to stand in front of him, and look at him, before he was gone again.

Yongguk didn’t leave you. You went to bed with him next to you, and you ate breakfast with him on the opposite side of the table. You knew he wasn’t real, but you wanted him to stay. You could almost feel his warm breath on your neck as he fell asleep next to you after telling you he loved you.

During breakfast, he watched you as you gulped down some cereal before getting ready for school. He asked you if you made new friends. You nodded, telling him about Zelo. He looked pleased. Before you left for school, you turned around. Yongguk was behind you. ‘You’re not going to leave, right?’ Your voice shook in slight fear of him leaving again.

‘No.’ His warm voice filled the air, and you trusted him. He’d tell you before he left. Even if all of this was merely your imagination, you wanted him to stay forever. Maybe something is going wrong in your head, maybe you were about to die and he was the ghost to pick you up, but you didn’t care. It didn’t matter as long as he was there.

School, for once, was better. You started the day off with helping one of your classmates with his homework. You just realized you never knew his name. You took a peek at the front of his notebook. ‘Jung Daehyun’ was written in neat words. You helped him with his math homework.

When Zelo walked into class, he was surprised to see you smiling brightly while saying hi to him. He smiled back, messing your hair. He took a seat next to you. ‘What’s up?’ He asked. You flashed him a grin. ‘Today’s a good day.’ You said.

Zelo was surprised, since he didn’t know what happened after you ran away from the café. But he didn’t bother asking, because you were happy, and that was all he needed to know. ‘Let’s go out of school later during our lunch break!’ Zelo said. You didn’t reject him as you knew he would’ve made you go anyway.

The both of you ate lunch at an outside stall behind the school selling ddeokbokki and really spicy ramyun. Halfway through your lunch, you remembered that Yongguk was still waiting for you at home, and you smiled. Just the thought of his presence in your life again, even if it was temporary, made you feel happy.

Zelo realized your face expressions. ‘Maybe she really is starting to let go of the past.’ His lips curved upwards at the thought of it.

When school ended, Zelo offered to walk you home. ‘Sure!’ You said happily. You couldn’t wait to be back at home with Yongguk again. On the way back, Zelo told you about recent stories and gossips that were going around the school, kpop idol groups having comebacks, and other common stuff that you’d hardly pay attention to these days.

You nodded and gave short responses to everything he said, knowing he’d continue talking anyway. By the time you reached your house, Zelo practically told you the whole school’s happenings and every single kpop comeback and debut that was avaliable. You smiled and thanked him for walking you home. ‘No problem! Eat dinner, okay? Something else apart from ramyun! Annyeongg~’ Zelo said, smiling. You nodded.

The house was quiet when you opened the door and went in. ‘Yongguk.. Yongguk-ah, are you here?’ You said softly, not used to speaking in your house since there hasn’t been anyone to speak to for so long. You heard someone walking down the stairs and there he was, the person you loved most.

‘Missed me?’ You said as you closed the door and walked towards him. He embraced you in his arms, smiling as he nodded softly. ‘How was school?’ His deep, husky voice filled the silence in the room, and you knew you were no longer alone.

‘Great.’ Anything’s great, as long as you’re here with me, Yongguk. You leaned closer to him and buried your face in his chest, inhaling the familiar smell of him. You wanted to ask him what was he doing here. Was he a ghost, did he come back to life, maybe, he was really alive? But you didn’t dare to ask him those questions, as you were afraid that it might arouse something and cause him to leave you.

You didn’t want to mention anything about the accident. You wanted to stay with Yongguk, forever. You held both his hands and swayed it back and forth, and smiled while telling him that you felt like eating kimchi fried rice for dinner.

Outside your house, Zelo was glancing through the window. He was about to leave but he stopped as he saw you acting differently. His expression changed as he saw you holding hands with nothing but the air and smiling at it.