Chapter 7

EDITING | Tangled Ball of Red

Gina came home to an excited Ailee, running to the door to welcome Gina home.

"Did your mom pack any food for us?" she asks expectingly. 

"Ah, I forgot to ask her when I got home. She was upstairs talking with her friend," Gina explains.

"I miss her cooking," says Ailee, frowning. "Wait, what do you mean when you got home? You went somewhere?"

"I- I spent some time my mom friend's son-"

"A guy??" Ailee interrupts excitingly, pulling Gina to the couch to talk. "Do tell."

"Let's see... back in Canada, he would come visit his uncle, my next door neighbour, every summer. We always played-"

"What'd you guys do today?" Ailee asks, emphasizing the word today.

"Not much actually," says Gina thinking back. "We caught up for a bit before I left."

"Nothing special?" Ailee frowns in disappointment, with Gina responding with the shake of her head.

"Want to go to Club X tomorrow?" Gina asks, to which Ailee gives her a surprised look and touches her forehead.

"Are you okay? You never suggest going out to a place like that. Unless..." Ailee gives Gina a suspicious look and then a big grin appears on her face.

"You want to go see that masked guy again, huh?!" Ailee clasps her hands together, immersed in her own imagination. "He left an impression after the kiss, so you can't stop thinking about him. And now-"

"And what?" asks Gina.

"Are you interested in him now?" asks Ailee in return.

"No," replies Gina as she wraps her arm around Ailee's shoulders. "But I know you are." 

Ailee eyes her suspiciously but Gina stands up and heads to her room, telling Ailee she was going to shower before Ailee was able to say anything. Once behind closed doors, she lets out a sigh. Gina hoped that after introducing Ailee to Jay that she would be occupied by him and stop trying to push Gina back into dating. 

~ - ~

Gina spent the first half of her saturday like every other saturday since she started teaching. She woke up early for a half hour run around the neighbourhood, returning in time to have breakfast with Ailee. Just when they were about to dig in, the intercom buzzes. Gina goes to check who it was to see that it was Hyungsik. 

"It's Sikkie," Gina calls out to Ailee, buzzing him in. The girls start eating and within a minute, the door opens.

"How are my girls today?" Hyungsik shouts from the door. Meeting them in the kitchen, he sits himself down beside Ailee and takes a piece of her bacon.

"Yah, what are you doing here?" Ailee asks.

"I'll drive you to the cafe," he replies and adds, "because Gina might need the car."

"Why?" Gina asks, wasn't sure why Hyungsik would say that.

"Ailee told me last night about some guy... a childhood friend? Maybe you should show him around the city."

"No need-"

"Good idea," Ailee interrupts, patting Hyungsik on the back, then turns to Gina. "You totally should!"

"Nah, he's probably busy."

"With what?" asks Ailee. "By the way, what's his name?"

"Jay. You guys can meet him tonight at Club X," says Gina. Hyungsik looks at Gina, then at Ailee.

"My reaction too!" exclaims Ailee, then she whispers to Hyungsik her suspicions that Gina is only suggesting so because she wants to see the masked guy.

"Sure, I'm in need of a drink," Hyungsik says as he leans back in his chair. Both girls looks at him worriedly.

"Why?" Ailee asks, curiously.

"Nothing important," he says as he picks another piece of bacon from Ailee's plate.

"Is there something going on between you and Dr. Lee?" Ailee decides to ask. "Last week when you were drunk, I heard you mumbling something with Lee.

Hyungsik went quiet and his face turned red. Sensing what she thought was embarrassment, Gina interrupts and warns Ailee that she should hurry up and get ready for work. Ailee stuffs the rest of her breakfast in after checking the time and runs to her room.

"I'm never getting drunk again," he mumbles quietly.

"Tell us when you're ready," says Gina, after Hyungsik thanks her for the save.

"When this is all over, I'll let you guys know."

'Over?' Gina thought, 'what does that mean?'

Before she can ask Hyungsik for clarification, Ailee bursts into the room, rushing Hyungsik. Ailee had forgotten that a woman ordered a birthday cake to be picked up at 2. She pulls Hyungsik along with her out the door and they both yelled out their goodbyes to Gina, leaving Gina to clear the table and do the dishes. After, she decides to clean the place and do some laundry. While making her bed, she accidentally kicks something that was under her bed. Thinking it was odd that something was down there, she raises the bedding and finds the corner of a frame. As she was pulling it out from under the bed, she realizes that it was the painting. 

"There you were!" she says to herself as she examines the detailed artwork of the red lines that were flowing and intertwined in the river. The more she looked at it, the harder she tried to remember what the little girl said to her.

"Three words, three words. What about three words?" Gina asks herself and slowly remembers. 

"Help three and you'll hear those three words," Gina repeated from her memory. It still didn't really make sense to her and gave up on trying to remember. She thought that she was pretty out of it that day and decides that it probably wasn't that important. She shrugs off the the thought and places the painting beside her closet.

the day was going by slowly so she decides to give Jay a call.

"Hello? Gina?" Jay asks when he picks up.

"Yeah, it's me," replies Gina 

"What's up?" he asks, breathing hard.

"Nothing much, just bored."

"Missed me already?" Jay teases.

"Yeah. I wanted to hear your voice," Gina plays along, giggling. "Are you practicing?" 

"Yeah, you gonna come?" he asks in anticipation.

"Nah, I'm just waiting for the laundry. Still got some chores left to do," Gina lies. She was already done but hearing the hopeful tone in Jay's voice made her feel nervous.

"See you tonight?"

"See you tonight," Jay repeats and hangs up the phone.

Gina lays on her bed, flat on her back and stares up at the ceiling. Thinking of the conversation she had with Jay, many What Ifs were going through her head. Eventually, she fell asleep.

 

Gina woke up by Ailee's voice calling for her. She sat up, confused of her dream. From what she was able to recall, she was walking through a field and kept having flashes of happy couples. It made her think about Yong Guk's wedding, as if that wasn't already depressing.

Ailee opens the bedroom door, surprising Gina. 

"Sorry! Were you asleep?" she asks softly. Gina nods.

"But I'm up now, you don't have to talk so quiet. Why are you home so early?"

"Early? It's 7 Gina," says Ailee, showing Gina her phone.

"What? How long have I been sleeping??" Ailee shrugs her shoulders as Gina quickly get out of bed, trying to do the math. Three hours. She slept for almost three hours, unable to think what made her sleep for so long.

"I'll go wash up. Sikkie said he'll come pick us up at 9:30," she says and heads for her room.

~ - ~

When the three of them arrived to Club X, two of the six groups have already performed. Finding a booth, Hyungsik sits down and waits for a host while the girls goes to join the crowd watching the dance floor.

When it was time for Jay's performance, Gina pushes herself and Ailee to the front, just in time while the guys were getting ready. She couldn't tell who was who because they all had masks on. Ailee slaps Gina's shoulder excitedly, telling her maybe Gina would be pulled out of the crowd again. True to her words, minutes after the performance started, a hand reaches out to Gina. She shakes her head, rejecting, but Ailee sighs and grabs Gina's hand and places it into the bboy's hand. As she was being pulled away, she asks if it was Jay.

"This wasn't the plan!" Gina snaps as Jay takes off his mask.

"You were supposed to take her hand!" she says as she points back to Ailee. When she looked back, Ailee was no where to be seen.

"Wha-" 

Jay gives her a twirl then dips her, presenting her with a paper rose. Confused, she accepts the rose.

"What's-" she stops herself when she spots Ailee being dipped by the dancer beside her.

"If that's what you want," Jay says, then pulls her back upright and passes her along to Ken. She looks over at Jay again, seeing Ailee in his arms.

That was when she realized, all seven guys had a dancing partner. There was a mix of waltzing then the boys dancing around the girls. By the end of the performance, there was a big cheer from the crowd. Gina met Ailee back at the booth, who was weak at the knees. Ailee scooted in first, sitting in the center between Hyungsik and Gina. Hyungsik excuses himself for the restroom and Ailee began describing the bursts of feelings that she was currently experiencing. Gina was smiling ear to ear while listening to Ailee.

"Gina, he was soooo... dreamy. His eyes, this rose, his arm," Ailee starts listing some features she thought was attractive about Jay.

"Hello," greeted a voice. Ailee gave a big smile and greets him back. Jay casually sits beside Ailee while Gina, on the other hand, was trying to hide her laugh. Also just in time, Hyungsik returns and sits himself down beside Gina.

"Hey," Hyungsik greets, reaching his arm across the table to shake Jay's hand. "Hyungsik."

"Jay," he introduces himself.

"Jay," Ailee repeats thoughtfully. "Jay... Jay?!" Ailee turns to Gina, pointing at her.

"Your Jay?" Gina lets out a laugh and nods. Ailee groans has she buries her face in her hands from embarrassment.

"Jay, meet my friends Ailee and Hyungsik. Guys, this is Jay," Gina introduces.

"Yong Guk?" Ailee yells out, a little too loud, when she looked up and saw Yong Guk entering the club with Dr. Lee. when Yong Guk and Dr. Lee looked in their direction, Ailee covered and looks at Gina apologetically, noticing that they were making their way to the table.

"Ailee, did you have to call his name out so loud?" snaps Hyungsik under his breathe. 

Everyone was quiet when the two doctors got closer. Hyungsik gets up, saying he's going out for air and leaves. Dr. Lee pats Yong Guk on the back and follows Hyungsik. Gina's heart was pounding and she didn't know where to look. She noted the confused expression on Jay's face and a scared one on Ailee's.

"What's going on?" Jay whispers to Ailee, getting elbowed on the side.

"I'll explain later," Ailee whispers back.

"Hi Gina," Yong Guk greets softly. Gina had no choice but to lock her eyes on his and greeted him back.

"Can we talk?" he asks, his voice sounding broken.

Gina turns to Ailee then Jay, agrees and walks over to the bar with Yong Guk. When they left, Ailee let's go of her breath after staying frozen.

"Who is that?" Jay asks, unable to take his eyes off Gina and Yong Guk.

"Her ex. The other is a doctor friend."

"The one getting married?" Ailee nods in response and sighs.

"My heart aches for them," says Ailee. 

"Who? Those two?" Jay asks, pointing towards Gina and Yong Guk.

"Nope," says Ailee, "All four of them."