Chapter 22

EDITING | Tangled Ball of Red

Monday

Gina sat in her class during afternoon recess going through her students' agendas, doing the usual check up for parent signature. When she got to Sang Woo's, she noticed it was Doo Joon who signed. Remembering back to Sung Hwa's note written in the agenda, Gina decided to leave a thank you note for the couple under the signature.

After Gina finished with the rest of the agendas, she leaned back onto her chair and looked up at the ceiling. She closed her eyes and though back to yesterday. She had went out to brunch with Yong Guk before he left for work. It was somewhat normal again but once in awhile, she would be reminded of Hye Ri. Yong Guk had repeatedly mentioned her name, telling Gina how people at the hospital have been talking in hushed voices when Hye Ri appeared. Gina felt bad, but at the same time she didn't. Yong Guk on the other hand did not care, stating he was glad that he no longer had ties to Hye Ri. Gina planned to ask Yong Guk to refrain from mentioning Hye Ri's name but decided not to. Hye Ri wasn't going anywhere and one day, they would certainly cross paths again. 

There were a few more minutes left until recess ended. Gina decided to continue reading a book she purchased last night, when Mimi recommended reading to take her mind off Hye Ri. It was a mystery thriller that the girls decided to read together, except Ailee, who opted out having to not be a fan of reading.

After a few pages in, there was a knock on the door. Seconds later, Dong Woo popped his head through the door, with a gentle look on his face.

"Hey," Gina greeted. Dong Woo made his way into her class room, taking a seat at the edge of a table in front of Gina's desk.

"I just wanted to check in, see how you're doing," Dong Woo started. "You looked out of it during lunch."

"What do you mean?" Gina asked, quite confused. She had eaten her lunch in her classroom. Gina didn't see Dong Woo.

"You were in the staff room, heating up your lunch. The teachers were all sharing stories about their weekend, about their spouses and kids. You and I, along with Ji Eun are the only unmarried peeps. Kim told us about an argument he had with his wife so he wanted our opinions on the matter, basically trying to prove how right he was. There was a tie between all them married ones, so he asked for what Ji Eun and I thought. It ended with a tie again then you came in. Kim recapped his story, asked for your thoughts but you just walked out. So, I just wanted to ask you if everything is okay."

"Oh. I'm fine actually, thanks for worrying. Just been thinking, that's all." Gina gave him a quick summary of what happened. Everyone at the school knew her story with Yong Guk so she told Dong Woo about the baby.

"Wow," was all Dong Woo managed to let out. Gina laughed at his reaction.

"So how did the debate go?" Gina asked, in an attempt to change the subject.

"Principal Lee came in and voted it was Kim's fault. Which I also voted for by the way," Dong Woo added.

"What'd they fight over?" Gina asked.

"Something dumb so I don't even remember. I did wonder if it was something I'd understand when I get married. Single life," Dong Woo sighed, then chuckled. "Where art thou?"

"She may be closer than you think," Gina said. "The time will come soon enough. Maybe lessen the time you go to clubs and bars, and somewhere more... civilized."

"Thanks for the advice," Dong Woo nodded and stood up.

Making his way out the door, he stopped to quickly tell Gina that she picked out a great book, one that would keep her on her toes until the very end. She looked down at the book cover, than back at the empty doorway. Her thoughts were interrupted when the bell rang for end of recess.

 

Gina decided to carry her bag along with her after school, planning to leave after her kids were all picked  up. She found Doo Joon already on the bench when she got out, surprising her on how early he was. Gina joined him on the bench, and after greetings, an awkward silence followed. She partly sensed that Doo Joon was being cautious; he seemed to have something to say but kept quiet.

"So... how are you doing?" Doo Joon eventually asked. His body was turned, facing toward her. Gina couldn't meet his gaze and instead, she was looking ahead to where the kids were playing in the playground.

"Good, thanks for asking."

"Have you thought it over? About Yong Guk?" he wondered, but then immediately apologized. "I shouldn't pry, sorry."

Gina finally met his gaze. "We talked. At the bar later that day. In the light of what happened, we decided to take things slow, one step at a time."

Doo Joon nodded, acknowledging the fact and smiled. "That's good to hear. Very good."

She thanked him once more, before their conversation took another turn down the silent road. Doo Joon was looking out into the distance, possibly at Sang Woo and some other kids attempting to make a snowball, Gina wasn't sure.

Admist the noise of children playing, of parents talking, and traffic down the street, Gina froze when she heard her name shouted by Yong Guk's mother. She turned toward to entrance of the school groups and made eye contact with the woman, who looked furious just as she sounded.

"You!" Yong Guk's mother cried and dashed over to Gina, followed by another woman. Gina had immediately stood up and bowed politely to greet Yong Guk's mother at the distance, keeping her head lowered.

"Who's that?" Doo Joon questioned as the woman approached them but before Gina could've replied, Yong Guk's mother slapped Gina across the face. Doo Joon was shocked and had his arm around her, asking if she was okay. Gina held a hand on her cheek to lessen the pain, took a deep breath and looked up to face Yong Guk's mother.

"You! You ruined my son's wedding! His future!" Yong Guk's mother screamed, now gathering an audience. Her friend was grabbing to her arm, shushing her. "You had the nerve to go to the wedding, talk him out of it, then go have brunch with him the next day. Do you have no shame? Are you happy now that you've made everyone miserable? Yong Guk, you've ruined him. Hye Ri, oh poor girl. Don't you dare think about getting back together with my son. He is better off without you."

"I'm sorry, this is not my business, but please respect Miss. Choi and please lower your voice. Maybe take this inside? This is a public place, with parents and kids." Doo Joon intercepted before Gina was able to say anything, hoping to better the situation.

"Respect?" she scoffed, even more angered. "It's definitely not your business and I can talk where I want. Gina has nevered respected me. If she did-"

"I always have so I don't know why you hate me so much," Gina interrupted, surprising Yong Guk's mother. Doo Joon had shifted his body more forward as if to protect Gina. "I love him and I want him to be happy. You'd understand if you talk to Yong Guk, about why I was there. It was for his sake."

Yong Guk's mother shook her head, looking at Gina as if she was crazy. was opened, but Doo Joon stopped her.

"Whether you believe her or not, you need to go talk to your son. Find out why he really called off the wedding." Doo Joon bowed out of politeness then grabbed Gina's hand. He gave it a little tug, to make sure she was willing to come. They both made eye contact, then Gina bowed good bye to Yong Guk's mother. Doo Joon took that as a sign it was time to go and lead Gina toward the playground to pick up Sang Woo in one arm, his other still holding on to Gina's, leading her to his car. Behind them they heard Yong Guk's mother cursing while her friend was trying to calm her down and suggested she give Yong Guk a call.

As Doo Joon was in the back, buckling Sang Woo up in his seat, Gina looked back toward the school. Yong Guk's mother was on the phone, presumably with Yong Guk. She seemed furious, flailing her arms up and down. After hanging up, she stormed off with her friend trailing behind her. Doo Joon was watching the ending when he sat up front and sighed, looking over at Gina.

"Cry, shout, just let it all out if you need to."

Gina shook her head. "I'm just frustrated... that's all. She doesn't know the truth... yet, so I can't blame her for feeling the way she does. I just wished she'd stop looking down on me because of my profession."

"I don't understand why she would," Doo Joon started. "Honestly. What you have Gina is passion, and I believe that's more valuable than how much you make. Teachers are important role models, in my opinion, that help shape the future of our society. Kids learn something new everyday, get inspired, have dreams..."

Gina smiled after Doo Joon's words, feeling understood and appreciated. Noticing her smile, Doo Joon stopped mid-sentence.

"Thank you, for understanding... me."

"Of course." Doo Joon reached over and placed his hand on top of hers, giving it a squeeze. "You're a wonderful person and what you do is amazing. Don't let someone tell you otherwise."

At the sound of Gina's ringtone, Doo Joon retracted his hand and looked forward, then back to Sang Woo while Gina snapped out of the moment and awkwardly searched for her phone in her bag. After a few mhmm and yeses, Gina hung up the phone.

"Sorry, that was-"

"So where to? Yong Guk's?" Doo Joon asked while playing rock, paper, scissors with Sang Woo. 

Gina shook her head, noting the different tone in Doo Joon's voice. "The cafe is fine, thank you."

He cheerily told Sang Woo they'll go for his favourite dessert, joking as he told Sang Woo not to tell his mom about it. Sang Woo giggly put his finger to and clapped excitedly. As they neared the cafe, Gina asked Doo Joon to relay a hello to Sung Hwa.

"Sure! Next time I see her. I gave her a free day today to have to herself before going on a business trip tomorrow."

"How long will she be gone for?"

Doo Joon shrugged. "Typically she's gone for three to four days. She usually calls the day before to let me know."

Gina nodded, envious of how they work things out, how balanced their family was. When the three of them got out of the car and headed toward the cafe, Gina thanked Doo Joon once for more standing up to Yong Guk's mother.

"No problem," he replied. "Make sure to talk things over with Yong Guk. I think it's important to have a good relationship with your future in-laws so maybe try to work things out with her as well."

"I hope it's something she's willing to do," Gina sighed. "But I'll talk to Yong Guk. Thanks."

"You thank me a lot," Doo Joon laughed.

"Well, you're always there help me out," Gina returned. "So I'm always thankful for that."

They split up once inside the cafe; Doo Joon and Sang Woo at the counter with Ailee serving them and Gina joining Hyungsik and Mimi at a table. The cafe was empty with only 3 tables occupied, including the one Gina was sitting at. Mimi was next to her, with Hyungsik across from her. He was staring at Gina.

"Did you guys come together?" Hyungsik asked, directing his gaze outside toward the parking lot.

"Oh shoot! I totally forgot about my car!"

"How did you?" Mimi wondered. "Due to your reaction, I assume it's not because it broke down?"

Gina shook her head but kept quiet. She was hesitant on whether or not to tell them about her encounter with Yong Guk's mother.

"Your face Gina," Hyungsik pointed at his cheek. "What happened?"

"What are you talking about?" Mimi asked, then moved to have a better look at the other side of Gina's face. "Oh! This area of you cheek is quite red."

"Yong Guk's mother happened," Gina stated. She knew she couldn't hide anything from Hyungsik, being so observant, so she saw no reason to hide it from him. She would end up telling him eventually anyway. "Doo Joon was there to pull me away and I ended up in his car."

"Whoa, wait one second. She laid her hand on you? In public at the school?" Hyungsik asked worriedly. "Does Yong Guk know about this?"

"I'm certain she gave him a call, but I'm not sure what exactly they talked about. I got a call from him just awhile ago saying he'll drop by tonight after his shift."

"I don't think she mentioned it, otherwise he would've been bombarding you with questions about it, or even left the hospital to see you by now."

"Why would she slap Gina? Didn't he proposed to her?" Mimi asked, confused.

"Yong Guk's mother doesn't like me very much. Pretty much because I'm not in the medical field."

Mimi's mouth hung open in shock. "Wow, people. Honestly, what would she think about me? I'm careerless."

"Tell me the truth Gina. All this time, have you been abused by her?"

"No! This is the first time. She was just really upset about me ruining the wedding."

"That should be the least of her problems, seriously," Mimi muttered. "So I assume she doesn't know why."

"Obviously not," Hyungsik sighed. "Well you guys need to sort out your differences. Communication is important. Especially since you're back together with Hyung. I don't want her abusing you like that in the future."

"Communication is definitely important," Mimi said, eyeing Hyungsik.

"My life is a different story. Gina, however-"

"Honesty is also important in any relationship," Mimi interrupted, giving Hyungsik a glare.

Gina noticed how Mimi's eyes quickly peered over to Ailee, and Hyungsik looking at Gina before glaring at Mimi.

"Is there something going on here?" Gina asked.

"It's nothing really. Mimi..." Hyungsik shook his head and stood up. "Anyways, Gina, you need to tell Yong Guk. If you don't, you know that I will. I am not going to sit around to see you treated like that."

"I know, thanks Hyungsik." Hyungsik gave Gina's shoulder a squeeze before leaving her with Mimi as he made his way to Ailee, who was talking to Doo Joon.

Gina turned back to Mimi. "So what exactly is going on with Hyungsik? Something is going on between the two of you."

Mimi sighed. "Unfortunately, because he is my brother, I can't tell you... yet. But don't you worry, you will find out soon enough. I will make it happen."

Gina laughed. "Thanks, that didn't make it any better. I'm still curious."

Mimi gave her a teasingly shrug so Gina changed the subject. "Mimi, what are your hobbies?"

"That's a random question," Mimi said, giving Gina a suspicious look but then thought less of it. "Well, you know I love books and photography. Hm, I love being outdoors. Why? What about-"

"Gina!" Ailee had called out, interrupting Mimi. Ailee motioned for Gina to join her up front, Mimi following after her. Doo Joon was holding his phone against his chest, looking troubled.

"Gina, you're free for the rest of the day right? Doo Joon has some business out of town so can you watch Sang Woo for a few hours?" Ailee asked.

Without hesitation, Gina replied with a yes. Doo Joon was uneasy, telling her she didn't have to, reminding her of the meeting with Yong Guk. When she insisted that it was fine, he made sure to tell her that he will try to be back as soon as possible. If he were to leave at the moment, he would definitely return before midnight. Gina repeatedly ensured that it was okay and after some thought, Doo Joon thanked Gina and got back on the phone.

"Mom, I'll see you then. I found someone who was willing to take care of Sang Woo. Are you certain this is something that can't be discussed over the phone?" Doo Joon asked. After a pause, he gave out a sigh and told his mother he would be on his way shortly. After hanging up the call, Doo Joon combed his hand through his hair, looking a bit stressed out.

"Don't worry Doo Joon. Sang Woo gets a long quite well with Gina. He always sticks to her," comforted Ailee.

"It's not that, I just don't want to trouble you guys. My mother, I don't know. She's so calm yet making it seem urgent, which worries me.

"Why can't you bring Sang Woo along?" Mimi asked.

"His mom doesn't like it when Sang Woo goes on long car trips without her, especially to my hometown." Doo Joon turned to Gina. "So Gina, there are a few things I have to trouble you with. Sung Hwa has Sang Woo on a routine but of course that would be asking too much from you. Sung Hwa made some side dishes before she left so if you could just feed him, get him to take a bath and tuck him in bed by 10, that'd be great. Saying all that, it would mean you'd have to stay at my place. Are you still okay with that?"

"Yeah I am. It shouldn't be so bad. Sang Woo is a good kid," Gina said, patting Sang Woo on the shoulder. "And you'll be back before midnight."

Doo Joon, looking relieved, unhooked his key and handed it over to Gina. "You know where. Third floor, room 5. Ah, for the bath, you can just help him fill the tub and he can wash himself up. As for going to bed, the earlier the better. It takes awhile for him to fall asleep, but it's much faster than him sleeping in an unfamiliar place."

"Okay. I will drop by my place to grab a few things ready for tomorrow and get to your place. It's not so bad so don't worry Doo Joon. It's the least I can do for you."

"Thanks Gina. You too Ailee." He looked down at his watch and kneeled down to give Sang Woo a hug, followed by instructions for him to behave. "I'll be back as soon as possible."

After Doo Joon left, Gina temporarily left Sang Woo to Ailee and Mimi's care while Hyungsik drove her to the school to fetch her car. On her way back to the cafe, Gina decided to go home to quickly shower and gathered into a bag a few necessities. 

She returned to the cafe to find Mimi keeping Sang Woo company while Hyungsik was behind the counter serving customers. The cafe was busy but not as much that Hyungsik couldn't handle working by himself. Gina took a peek through the windows to the kitchen and saw Ailee diligently decorating a cake.

"I'll let her know you're back," Hyungsik said as he poured the steamed milk into a cup and gave the woman in line her latte. Gina told Hyungsik not to, not wanting to interfere with their work. She quickly joined Sang Woo so that Mimi could go help Hyungsik.

Mimi returned shortly after the rush lessened down, having not enough of Sang Woo. "You're so lucky, getting to work with cuties like him everyday."

"Only when they're behaved," Gina laughed. "But my kids are well behaved most of the time so it's fantastic."

"Don't they make you want to start a family?" Mimi wondered. "Have you had that kind of conversation with Yong Guk before?"

Gino nodded. "He loves kids, and so do I. I definitely want at least two kids and more if my body can handle it."

"Well I can't wait till that day comes! Babies for me to play with!" Gina laughed at Mimi's statement. 

"I still feel a bit troubled with our relationship. It's nice when we're together but sometimes, I remember about what heppened and it takes me out of the moment. Something is always there bothering me but I can't put my finger on what."

"Just take it slow like what you guys are doing now. Love conquers all and eventually the past will be put behind you. It will all work out."

"You're right." Gina smiled at Mimi in gratitude.

"I'm waiting for the day I become an aunt. I haven't updated you but Ji Wook oppa met a woman at the pool in his building. She just moved in and he asked her out twice so far. That's such an improvement so I'm really proud. I'm hoping to meet her soon."

"Wow! That's great!" Gina said excitedly. "How does she feel about his busy schedule?"

"I'm not sure of the details but he told me it's been so long since he's dated, he's afraid he'll mess things up. He really likes her."

"Awe, well Dr. Lee is a nice guy so he shouldn't worry."

"Exactly what I told him. I hope they do fine. Then there's just him left," Mimi nodded toward Hyungsik, who was at the counter talking to Ailee. "But he may have already found her."

"What about you, Mimi?" Gina asked. "Has a certain someone caught your attention?"

"There are attractive guys that come in and out of this cafe but I don't know them enough to have interest. How do people even meet these days?"

The question put Gina in thought. "I'm not really sure..."

Her thought process was disrupted when her phone rang; a call from Yong Guk. He started the call with a request that Gina didn't ask him any questions. When she agreed, he asked if she could make a trip down to the Grande Seoul Hotel to help him find the ring he proposed to her with. He had dropped it over the weekend and she was the only other person who knows what the ring looks like. Yong Guk didn't really want to ask her for this particular favour but it was the last day the Hotel allowed him to search the hall before they start setting up for the next booking. Gina told him she'd be on her way before hanging up.

"Oooh meeting him at a hotel? "Mimi said as she winked. "I can help take care of Sang Woo tonight so you two love birds can talk things out and do your thing."

"It's not what you think!"

"'Not what you think' what?" Ailee asked, walking around the table to sit next to Gina.

"She's going to meet Yong Guk at the hotel." Mimi said excitedly.

"It's to help him look for the ring he proposed me with? I'm not exactly sure why it's there but-"

"He was hoping that you'd appear on Saturday. He asked for a sign and brought the ring with him. Since you came, Yong Guk knew he was meant to be with you," Hyungsik explained. "Then you left and during the commotion, he lost it."

"Wow, this is like destiny in the works," said Mimi.

"Kind of," Hyungsik smiled. "If you put it that way, then he should be able to find it later since you guys are back together."

"What if he's proposing to her instead?" Ailee thought. "Because why would he need you to look for it? What if he planned an event to propose?!"

Gina's stomach twisted, thinking back to the sign she had asked for that day. Gina shook her head. "He can't... I mean, we agreed to take things slow. Him doing that, that's not slow. He wouldn't... right?"

"You don't sound so sure," Mimi laughed.

"I'm not. Now I'm nervous. Hyungsik, do you know what's going on? Tell me now if you do."

Hyungsik waved his hands. "He really lost it, that I know for sure. He called me earlier this afternoon to ask for help as well because I happen to be someone who knows what the ring looks like. I couldn't leave this place so I guess he was desparate enough to ask for your help Gina. Unless he just found it and decided to propose to you. He hasn't told me any recent plans of proposing but who knows."

"Can't the hotel staff look for it then contact him?" Ailee asked.

"They have. Just lots of jewelry that isn't his." Hyungsik laughed. "Well Gina, you should get going. We can watch Sang Woo and I'll be sure to feed him."

"Thanks guys," Gina said and stood up.

"Don't stay out too late," teased Ailee. "But you know, if other plans come up, give me a call. Or text."

Gina pulled a face at Ailee and thanked everyone once again before taking off. Traffic wasn't so bad so Gina arrived at the hotel in less than an hour. She was still nervous with the thought of Yong Guk possibly proposing to her. She wasn't ready, after all they have been through in the past few months. Gina took her time walking toward the wedding hall and as she turned to the entrace, she held her breath. Luckily, the hall was empty when she looked inside, Yong Guk crawling on the ground in search of the ring. She was relieved and called out to him.

"Hey!" Yong Guk stood up and greeted her with a big smile. He pulled her in closer to him and gave her a kiss. "So I should explain about the ring."

"It's okay. Hyungsik told me about it. I'll help you look." Gina leaned in for another kiss but when she was about to break away, Yong Guk held her back.

"What did Hyungsik say exactly?"

"You asked for a sign and brought the ring with you. I came but when I left, you l-"

Gina was interrupted by Yong Guk's peck on the lips. "That's why I need to find it," he breathed before letting her go. He pointed to the side of the room he hasn't checked, and told her they have less than an hour left to look for the ring.

During the search, Yong Guk asked Gina about the meeting with his mother. He recalled how angry she sounded but she had avoided most of his questions so now he wanted to hear about it from Gina. She told him exactly what happened.

"What?!" yelled Yong Guk in surprised. "She slapped you?"

He ran over to her and checked her face. "I can't believe she would do that. Gina, have you always been treated like this by her and never told me?"

"No, never. This was her first time but you have to understand that she was furious over the cancellation of the wedding."

"You don't have to defend her. I just can't believe she did this. I'm going to have a talk with her. I'm so sorry Gina, to have this happen to you."

Gina shook her head. "It's not your fault. It just turned out this way. I would like to one day have a talk with her too. So she can get to know me better."

Yong Guk had a look of relief on his face. "That's a great idea. I'll try to plan out a day for the both of you.

They both went back to searching the room and after a few minutes, a hotel staff came in to tell them time was up and apologized. Yong Guk got up and thanked the staff for allowing him to search the hotel today and told the lady to please call him if anything comes up. The lady ensured that she would and then left the hall.

"I'm praying it turns up soon," Yong Guk frowned.

"It's okay. If it doesn't, I still love you the same." Gina reached up to fix his shirt and tightened his tie.

"But it's unsettling. It gives me a bad feeling, about us," he sighed. "I'm going to head to the washroom to fix myself up. Wait for me in the lobby?"

Gina nodded and they both went their separate ways. On her way to the lobby, Gina saw a familiar figure walking across the lobby. Gina spedwalk to get a closer look and was sure it was her. Sung Hwa was in an elegant, long red laced gown walking toward the hotel entrance. Just when Gina was about to call out to Sung Hwa, she saw a man standing near the entrance in a black suit. It was Jin. Gina turned to hide behind a pillar and felt confused. Jin and Sung Hwa. What was going on? She looked back and saw them leaving the hotel.

"What are you doing?" Yong Guk whispered from behind her. "What are you looking at?"

Gina flinched in surprise as she spun around. "Nothing. I just thought I saw someone I knew but saw wrong."

"Should we get going?" Yong Guk asked and reached out his hand to Gina. She held onto it and they both strolled toward the entrance.

"Want to come over for a bit?" Yong Guk asked, giving Gina's hand a squeeze.

"I'd love to but not today, " Gina frowned and looked up to Yong Guk. He laughed and leaned down for a quick kiss.

"Don't worry, but Friday my place, okay? I finish my shift early and have all of next week off."

"Oh, why?"

"Well, I should be on my honey moon right now, up to the end of next week. I'll work this week and take the remaining week off and spend some time with you."

"That sounds great," Gina said with a smile. They have walked silently to Gina's car, looking at the scenery surrounding the hotel on the way.

"I guess this is where I'll leave you," Yong Guk sighed, feeling like their meeting was too short. He pulled her in for a long hug, causing Gina to laugh.

"I'll see you soon."

"I know. I just saw you yesterday but this day has been so long it doesn't feel that recent." He broke his embrace. "Call me when you get home."

Gina nodded and gave Yong Guk a quick kiss on the cheek before getting into her car and drove back to the cafe. During her car drive back, Gina kept thinking about Sung Hwa and Jin. She wondered if Doo Joon and Sung Hwa had been going through a rough patch, and started to feel bad for troubling the couple with her problems when they had their own. Then she wondered if she was overthinking it. Doo Joon did say he gave Sung Hwa a day to have to herself before going off on a business trip. Maybe there was some fancy event going on at the hotel and Sung Hwa had asked Jin to come along. But why not Doo Joon? And since when did Sung Hwa and Jin get so friendly? So close?

Gina reached the cafe a little after 8. Through the glass windows, the cafe looked busy but calm, filled with young adults talking and laughing. Mimi was serving a customer when Gina entered the cafe and right across from the cash register sat Sang Woo at the table reading a book.

"Hey Sang Woo," Gina greeted as she got to the table and sat next to him. "Sorry I took so long. Ready to go home and eat? You must be starving."

Sang Woo nodded and told Gina that Ahjusshi Sik had bought him yummy dumplings. Mimi joined them shortly, laughing at the title given to Hyungsik.

"In short amount of time, he's gotten pretty close to Hyungsik. It's a good sight to see actually. Sang Woo talks a lot more once you warm up to him."

"Wow, he's still quiet and sometimes shy around me unless one of his parents are present. What'd Hyungsik do?" Gina asked.

"Like he told you, they went out for dumplings and came back close as ever. I don't even know, maybe it's a guy thing, but enough about that. Let's talk about you." Mimi clasped her hands on the table and leaned forward, looking at Gina expectantly. "So?"

"We couldn't find it. The hotel staff said they'll notify him if anything shows up but only until the end of this week. Yong Guk is bummed and worried about it, even after assuring him that I still love him without the ring."

"Now that's love," Mimi smiled in awe. "It'll show up. So are you going to take this little one home now?"

Gina checked her watch; it was nearing 8:30. "I should. Thanks for watching him by the way. You must've had your hand full with Ailee and Hyungsik working in the back."

"Nah, it's fine. Ailee's more busy this month. She's been getting a few more orders, which is great for her cafe, and Hyungsik has helped me during rush hour. Besides, I love kids so it was fun."

Mimi went to the kitchen and called for Ailee and Hyungsik, to inform them that Gina was going to go. Hyungsik came out first, saying good bye to his new little friend. Sang Woo hopped off his seat and ran to give Hyungsik a hug and bid farewell to Ahjusshi Hyungsik. Hyungsik frowned, trying to correct Sang Woo, telling him it was Uncle Hyungsik. Sang Woo shook his head and continued to call Hyungsik Ahjusshi, causing laughter from Gina and Mimi, as well as Ailee who came out shortly to say bye.

 

When they arrived to Doo Joon's place, Sang Woo neatly took off his shoes and placed them on the rack, then removed his jacket and climbed on a stool to hang it up on the hanger himself. Once he got down, he grabbed onto Gina's hand and pulled her toward the washroom, politely asking her to fill up the tub with warm water for him. When she the tap, Gina watched as Sang Woo ran to his room. A minute later, he returned with a set of Pororo pyjamas, his underwear and towel. Following his request, with relief, Gina left him to bathe himself and made sure that he would call her if he needed help. 

Gina decided to read a bit of her book while waiting for Sang Woo but seconds into her story, she got distracted. Thoughts of Sung Hwa returned and she began to get curious. Gina placed down her book next to her and looked around the room. She was looking for pictures in particular, but didn't spot any. Gina made her way towards the washroom but walked right past it as she heard Sang Woo playing and talking to himself.

Inside Sang Woo's room, it was what she expected except for the extra bed that was on one side of the room. Along the walls, the bottom portions projected out to form a shelf, where pictures of Sang Woo and his family were lined up. From baby pictures to recent ones, she saw how Sang Woo had grown up. Plenty were taken with Doo Joon, as well as Sung Hwa, but not many with the both of them together. There was a family picture, where Sung Hwa had baby Sang Woo sitting on her lap in between Doo Joon and a man, who was definitely Doo Joon's brother. They looked almost identical, except that Doo Joon had a more narrow face compared to his brother. Next to him but slightly behind him stood a woman with a hand on his shoulder, probably his wife, and two older couples, Doo Joon and Sung Hwa's parents, were standing behind them. A few pictures down was one of Sang Woo, possibly 3 or 4 at the time, sitting on Doo Joon's shoulders. Sung Hwa was next to them, looking up at Sang Woo worried while Doo Joon had a huge smile on his face. Other than those two pictures, Sang Woo was either in it alone, with Sung Hwa, or with Doo Joon.

With many thoughts running through her head, Gina didn't hear Sang Woo enter the room. She watched as he threw his clothes into the laundry basket near the door and hung the towel on the rim. As he left his room, Gina followed him back to the bathroom, where he took a cloth to dry any wet spots on the floor. Sang Woo then pushed a stool against his sink, got on and attempted to sqeeze toothpaste onto his toothbrush. Gina helped him with that bit, then he pressed the button to play the theme song to Pororo and brushed his teeth. After doing so, Gina highly praised him for being good and doing everything by himself.

Sang Woo ran to his room, already in his bed when Gina got there. She sat down next to his bed and he handed his home reading book to her. Before Gina read the book, she made herself comfortable and tucked Sang Woo into bed. Curious, she asked Sang Woo about the twin bed across from his, and he simply told her it was where his mom sometimes slept. It made her wonder if Doo Joon and Sung Hwa had fights so they would sleep separately. After Gina finished reading the book to him, Sang Woo was still wide awake, so she had to go through a few of the books Sang Woo owned. After about three more books, Sang Woo finally fell asleep, as well as Gina.

 

Arms were wrapped around Gina's waist, someone's head rested on top of hers, their bodies swaying back and forth slowly. Gina opened her eyes and found herself dancing in a white gown. She observed her surroundings, to what seemed like a wedding, with couples dancing around her. She looked up, facing Yong Guk and they smiled at one another. He went on to lower his forehead against hers as he breathed "I love you" on her lips and went in for a kiss. "Me too," Gina mumbled in between kisses and felt a smile cross his lips. This moment is perfect, Gina thought. We're happy. Suddenly, someone yanked her away and she came face to face with Yong Guk's mother. A moment of fear came over and but then Yong Guk's mother instead turned to her son. "Why her?" she shrieked frustratedly, and slapped him across the face.

Gina jerked herself awake, sitting up and searched for her phone on the bed. It was just 3 in the morning. She rubbed her eyes then laid back down, burying her face between her pillow and blanket. The unfamiliar, but good, scent of the bedding made her realize she wasn't in her own bed, and remembered that she was at Sang Woo's place. She jolted back up in confusion but saw Sang Woo fast asleep in his bed with Doo Joon sitting on the ground, laying on Sang Woo's bed with his hand rested on Sang Woo's chest. She thought how Doo Joon probably carried her onto the bed then felt embarrassed. Gina laid back down again, facing the father and son. She stared at Doo Joon's back, feeling how oddly famililar and warm it looed. She snapped out of the though then rolled over to face the wall. The room began to warm up, or maybe it was just Gina, and she began to feel uncomfortable laying in Sung Hwa's bed with Doo Joon in the room so she decided to go outside. Before leaving the room, Gina grabbed the blanked and slid it over to cover Doo Joon.

Gina was wide awake and her mind was cleared while standing out on the balcony. The weather was chilly but she felt refreshed after a few deep breaths. Ready to leave, Gina turned to the door and saw the lights of the hallway flicker on. As she took a step inside, Doo Joon was in the middle of pulling his shirt off. When Gina hasped in surprise, Doo Joon had his head out with the sleeve of his shirt still looped around his one arm. He immediatedly pulled his shirt back on, apologizing as Gina turned around to shut the balcony door.

"Oh god, I'm so sorry! I thought you already left."

Gina tried to laugh off the awkwardness she felt was coming. "No worries, I was just about to leave," she said, walking toward her bags.

"Let me grab my jacket, it's freezing outside," he informed. "Did I wake you by my snoring? I'm sorry if I did. Sung Hwa tells me I snore loudly when I'm tired."

"No, I had a bad dream, that's all. And you don't have to walk me down."

"It's late and dark out, I'm not letting you walk down there alone." Doo Joon opened the door and motioned for Gina to get out first.

When they reached the elevators, Gina insisted that Doo Joon can leave her there, and pointed out that she lives nearby.

"You can see my building from your balcony."

"Oh wow, you live really close. Meadowview?" he asked.

Gina nodded. The elevator doors opened and they both walked in.

"So do you want to talk about your dream?"

Gina shrugged and pressed the bottom to the main floor. "It's nothing really. The slap was just being replayed in my head, except it was directed at Yong Guk."

"Have you talked to him at all? It's clearly bothering you."

"I did, and he's going to talk to his mom about it. Also planning to meet with her one day, if she's willing to."

"That's great! Communication is key, to any relationship. Between family, friends, partners."

At the mention of partners, Gina thought about seeing Sung Hwa at the hotel. She wondered if they were going through a rough patch and was good at hiding their troubles. Maybe she was overthinking it. They seemed to be happy, so Sung Hwa was just out with her new friend. Gina kept quiet but nodded to agree with Doo Joon.

"Ah, so I saw your note in Sang Woo's agenda. I didn't think we helped you much but I'm glad I was able to. You deserve happiness Gina; well everyone does," Doo Joon said. "Also, thank you so much for baby sitting Sang Woo for me. You've done more than you should as a teacher."

"No worries, we're friends, aren't we?" Gina went on to confess that Mimi and Hyungsik did more of the babysitting  but Doo Joon was grateful that Gina stayed overnight with Sang Woo. "So how did things go with your mother?"

Doo Joon ran his hand through his hair and sighed. "Not well. It wasn't anything important and we ended up arguing before I left."

They reached the main floor and made their way outside toward Gina's car, continuing their conversation. Gina frowned and returned the question. "Do you want to talk about it? Maybe I can help."

Doo Joon looked conflicted. "If you could, I would tell you but... not now. Not yet. Or maybe not ever. It might just pass and be nothing. Well, it probably will."

Gina giggled at Doo Joon's rambling, seeing a different side to him.

"What?" he asked.

She shook her head. "When I can be a help to you, you know you can talk to me."

"Thanks," Doo Joon said, smiling warmly. "You know, I was in a dark mood when I got back here but..." Doo Joon paused and locked eyes with Gina. "Well, I saw your note and it took away all this stress. So you've already helped me somewhat."

Gina was unsure of how to respond to his statement. She was glad it helped alleviate his stress but why did a simple thank you note have such an effect on him?

"What is happiness like?" Gina randomly wondered and asked out loud.

"Happiness?" Doo Joon said in thought. "I don't know if you've noticed Sung Hwa but she seems much happier lately. I'm not sure why, she hasn't told me, but maybe she got a promotion at the firm or something."

Gina froze and thought back to the hotel, while Doo Joon continued on. "The last time I've seen her this happy when the year after she got married. Like she was living in bliss. I wonder- oh, we're here already."

Gina placed her bags into the trunk then met Doo Joon at the driver's door. They faced each other in silence and Gina took a deep breath. Doo Joon copied her and they both laughed. Gina knew she need to go but something was keeping her back. She wasn't sure what; maybe it was his company but after a few seconds of stalling, she felt like there was a line she had crossed.

"Well... thanks for walking me all the way here. You should go back, in case Sang Woo-"

"Gina... there's something that... I need to do," Doo Joon interrupted then sighed. "But I don't want to make you uncomfortable. I just... need to know."

"It's okay, you can tell me. I've been dumping you with all my personal problems so I don't think anything else can be uncomfortable." Gina could see Doo Joon struggling, whether or not he should talk to her. "I'm here to listen."

"It's not that, it's..." Doo Joon eyes darted back and forth in conflict. Then suddenly, he pulled her in for a hug.