Chapter 11

EDITING | Tangled Ball of Red

"I think when you're experiencing emotions and feelings related to love, you start seeing the strings," Ailee explains. "And I believe that once you actually fall in love, you will always see them."

"Hmm, you may be right," says Gina, agreeing with Ailee aftering recalling the times they appeared before her. She tells Ailee about the day Yong Guk hugged her and the past two days with Jay.

The elevator dinged before opening, causing Gina to flinch. "Wow, that movie must've been really scary. You're all jumpy. I kind of want to watch it now," Ailee laughs as the both of them walk into the elevator.

"Oh yeah, I found this really odd. Before we got to the cafe, Hyungsik was fine, normal. He even seemed a bit excited to meet the new girl, Mimi. Hyungsik wanted to come in first without me, pretending to be a customer to see how Mimi is so I waited outside for about five minutes before going in. When I came in, Hyungsik was sitting at a table, his face all... I dont know, expressionless, a bit stiff. Mimi greeted me and continued wiping the displays but she kept taking glances at him." Ailee paused as they reached their floor. She continued her story when they got inside.

"Do you think Mimi likes Hyungsik?" Gina asks.

"That's a possibility. Anyway, I sat down with Hyungsik asking if Mimi did something he didn't like. He shook his head and smiled. At first it seemed forced but when he told me I did a good job hiring her, his smile seemed genuine. I called Mimi over to officially introduce them as coworkers, and well he wasn't as enthusiastic, as well as Mimi. The atmosphere was... weird."

"Maybe... what if they dated in the past?" Gina guesses. "Yes, he may be gay but what if they knew each other from before? Before he realized he was gay."

"Hm, I didn't think of that. Still, there is a possibility that Mimi is attracted to Hyungsik and if so, too bad for her huh, haha. You should drop by one day and meet her. You feel happy just seeing her. She radiates happiness," says Ailee. "Anyway, that's the end of that story. You should go wash up first."

When Gina was done and made her way to her room, Ailee got up from the couch and ran into Gina's room. 

"I forgot! Pick your next rose before I go wash up," demanded Ailee. "I want to see what's planned for tomorrow."

Gina did as she was told and unrolled a rose, handing it over for Ailee to read. "Dinner. These are all typical dates, he should be more creative."

"Eh, I'm fine with these kinds of dates. I enjoy my time with him," says Gina.

"Alrighty, if you say so. You should let him know. I'll go wash up. Night," greets Ailee.

"Night," Gina replies back.

She turns off the lights and lays down on her bed, keeping the lamp on. Gina takes her phone out and texts Jay that tomorrow's plans was dinner. Jay texts back saying he'll pick her up tomorrow and that he'll call her. Gina lays, thinking about Jay and how close she was to him during the movie. She noticed that she was smiling at the thought and remembered the theory that Ailee came up with. Her heart beating, Gina looked at her hands. She frowned when no red thread was in sight and pushed the thought away and tried to sleep.

~ - ~

At around 6:30, Jay arrived at Ailee's cafe to pick Gina up. Gina got ready a bit early and decided to meet Mimi. Like Ailee told her, Mimi was a bundle of joy and seemed to make people laugh. Gina observed Hyungsik, noting that he was more quiet than usual.

As Gina left the shop to meet Jay outside, she bumped into Doo Joon who was holding hands with little Sang Woo. She greeted the both of them and left.

"Who's that?" Jays asks as Gina gets into the car. 

"My student. Isn't he adorable? A bit tiny for his age but that's what makes him so cute," replies Gina. "So, where to?"

"Yes he is. You'll see when we get there. Nothing special really."

"Nothing special? You said to dress up this time," says Gina, looking at Jay all dressed up. He gives her a smile and she gives him one in return. They sit in silence for a bit until Jay cleared his throat.

"So...the roses," Jay started. "I have a big performance coming up next month... and a few events to practice for for the next few weeks. I probably won't have that much time as I thought-"

"I understand, don't worry. We can go out anytime we're both free."

"Thanks Gina. So just forget about them. Throw them out."

"No, no need. They don't wilt so I can keep them in my room," says Gina.

They sit in silence once again, this time Gina clearing . It caused Jay to laugh and so did she.

"Wait a minute. Is this my mom's car?" Gina asks as she looks around the car. "She wouldn't even let me drive her car."

"Nope. It's Ken's brother. Ken has been using it but since he's at his new girlfriend's place, I asked to have for tonight," explained Jay. "Speaking of Ken, he wanted to see you one day. There's something he wanted to tell us. You, me, the members, and your friends."

"Ailee and Hyungsik? Why?"

"Yeah, those two. And I completely have no idea what his 'big news' is. He wouldn't tell anyone."

"Huh, wonder what. Maybe we should meet one day at the shop?" Gina suggests since Ailee and Hyungsik are always there.

"Yeah, sure. I'll let Ken know. Here we are," states Jay as he turns in to the parking of an Italian restaurant. "Ken tells me his brother and sister in law comes here all the time. Good food, good service."

"No way," Gina mumbles as she realizes where they were.

"What?" Jay asks as he parks. Gina tells him the place look nice and they both make their way inside.

Once inside and were seated at a table for two, Gina looked around nervously. Jay noticed and asks Gina if there was anything wrong. She shakes her head and says everything was fine, she was just really hungry. After their order and a sip of wine, Gina looks to her right. Just three tables away was the one that her and Yong Guk always sat at during their yearly anniversaries and regular visits, and right across from her view was the table that she last sat with Yong Guk, Ailee and Hyungsik about a month ago. Memories of that day start flooding back.

"Are you really okay?" Jay asks worriedly. Before Gina could've said anything, a waitress appeared at their table.

"Gina? It is you! Haven't seen you in awhile! I was waiting to hear about your wedding. How are you?" 

"Young Ae! I've been well... how are you?" replies Gina, trying to keep a smile on her face and taking glances at Jay. She can tell by his face that he was processing what Young Ae was talking about so he clears his throat.

"I'm sorry, how are you doing... Yong Guk," Young Ae pauses when she turns to Jay and realizes that Jay was not Yong Guk. She looks at Gina confused.

"Young Ae, this is my friend Jay. Jay, meet Young Ae," Gina introduces. Young Ae apologizes Jay and greets him properly.

"So Gina, how's Yong Guk doing?" Young Ae asks innocently.

After a few thoughts, Gina finally replied. "He's getting married. This weekend."

"You mean 'we'" says Young Ae.

"No, he's getting married. Not me," corrected Gina, starting to feel awkward to have this conversation in front of Jay. 

Young Ae sits herself down next to Gina. "What? No way. But-"

"Things... just didn't work out," says Gina.

"I'm so sorry Gina, and to you Jay. I should get back to work... um nice seeing you again Gina! Nice meeting you Jay." Young Ae scurries away toward the back of the restaurant after she finally understands what was going on.

"I'm sorry about that," apologizes Gina to Jay.

"No, I'm the one that's sorry. No wonder you didn't look so great when we got here. I-"

"There's no way you would have known. I'm sorry, I didn't want to ruin this night. I wanted to have a good time but I can't stop thinking about the past," says Gina.

"Do you want to talk about it? Only if it'll help you feel... lighter. We can leave if you want." Gina hesitated but decided to tell him about Yong Guk.

"Well, Yong Guk brings me here often and we always come here for our anniversaries. The last time we were here, I was also with Ailee and Hyungsik. It was the day before our fourth year. That night, I found out about the other woman, a nurse. When I got home, I received his proposal..." Gina pauses as she begins to tear up. Slowly, she was able to stop.

"I'm really sorry Jay, I just felt like you should know. I am trying my best to move on. It's just reminders like this are hard," Gina explains, gesturing the restaurant.

"It's okay Gina, take your time. Take all the time you need," comforts Jay. Gina felt a bit better but still apologetic. She knew she had some feelings for Jay, and really wanted to forget about the past.

The food came out and Gina told Jay about her first time meeting Ailee and Hyungsik. Jay in turn told her about break dancing and the first time he met Ken and the guys. 

After their dinner, Jay receives a call from Ken, asking for the car. Jay drops by Ken's new girlfriend's place. Ken apologizes to both  Jay and Gina for ruining their date. He had an emergency because his parents are in town and Ken's brother needed the car since his wife took the other. Ken offered to drop them off at Gina's place since it was closer but Gina refused and told Ken to go pick his parents up from the airport.

"I think it'll be nice to walk home," says Gina after Ken left. "I can drive you home after.

"Okay," agrees Jay. In silence they both begin walking. Eventually, Jay intertwines his fingers to hers, and they walk with big grins on their faces.

"So Thursday, it's my birthday. The boys wanna go party at Club X. Want to join us?" Jay asks. "Ailee and Hyungsik should come."

"Of course. I'll let them know. On hey, maybe Ken can make his announcement then too. Since we'll all be there."

"Perfect," says Jay.

The subject began to change and Gina starts talking about school and her students. Before they knew it, they reached Gina's apartment. He joins Gina upstairs since Ailee wasn't home from work yet. Gina changes to more comfortable clothes and suggests to walk to Ailee's shop.

By the time they reached the shop, Ailee was closing up. "Hey," Ailee calls from the door when she spotted Gina and Jay.

"Can you give him a ride home?" Gina asks.

"I had to return the car to my friend," Jay adds. 

"Bummer," says Ailee. "But of course. Just let me check the back and I'll be right out."

After a while, Ailee leaves the shop with Hyungsik and Mimi both each by her side.

"Anyway, Hyungsik, it's pretty dark out. I think you should give Mimi a ride home. I need to drive Jay home," says Ailee pointing toward Gina and Jay. Mimi peeks over and waves at Gina then leaves with Hyungsik, who seemed reluctant to leave.

"I really need to find a way for those two to get closer. It's weird when one second their happy happy and the other all awkwardly quiet," explains Ailee. 

In the car ride home, Jay tells Ailee that Ken had something big news to tell everybody, including Ailee and Hyungsik. Ailee was a bit puzzled to why Ken would want her to know since they weren't as close. The three sit and guesses what Ken's big announcement could be. They came up with a possibility that Ken got his girlfriend pregnant since Jay mentioned the only thing that changed about Ken recently was his new girlfriend. However, Ailee didn't understand why she had to hear the announcement since that matter had nothing to do with Ailee. Gina, nor Jay knew either.

When they reached Jay's place, both Gina and Jay got out of the car while Ailee waited inside. Face to face, Gina thanks Jay for the dinner and apologizes for ruining it by talking about Yong Guk. Jay said it was okay and reminds her that they'll meet again on Thursday and how he's busy tomorrow with practice. He adds how he enjoyed the walk. Awkwardly, as Gina was expecting a kiss from Jay this time, he went for a hug. When they let go, Jay looks at her again and kisses her on the forehead before saying good night. Gina stood there, thinking about the forehead kiss on how it felt right. When Jay reached the door he turns around and waves goodbye. Gina does the same before getting back into the car.

"Testing. Do you see it?" Ailee asks, raising her left hand up Gina, who nods but tells Ailee she can only see part of it and there's no sea of red.

"So I am right! This is so cool. Anyway, how was your date?" Ailee asks as she begins to drive home.

"It started off horrible but ended great," says Gina.

"What do you mean?"

"Well first off, we went to Giovanni's Pasta House," Gina pauses at Ailee's gasp then continues. "Then Young Ae comes and asks me about the wedding and mistakes Jay initially for Yong Guk."

"Oh man, I'm hoping it doesn't get worse."

"No, after she realized she left and I told Jay about Yong Guk. It felt nice to let him know and after that, we walked home which was nice."

"That's good. I'm happy for you guys," says Ailee. 

"Oh right, it's Jay's birthday on Thursday. Which is the..."

"25th," finished Ailee.

"Yong Guk's birthday is coming up too..." says Gina, her mood a little down.

"Oh, Gina," Ailee sighs. For the rest of the drive home, no one said a word.

Once in bed, Gina lays with the teddy bear that Yong Guk gave her for their proposal in one hand and the ring in the other. Gina continues to think about Yong Guk. She takes a deep breath and sighs, and places the ring back into the box and into the bear. She sits the bear on her nightstand and turns off her lamp. Gina makes herself comfortable and lays, starring out the window at the moon, eventually, falling asleep.