Birthday

EDITING | Tangled Ball of Red

While the kids were outside for recess, Gina was inside going through all her students's agendas to check for parents' signature, indicating they have read the library book to their kids. When she was done, she placed them on the tables of each students' assigned seats. Before going outside to check up on her students, Gina skims through the week's schedule and next week also. She notices that it was two of her student's birthdays: Sang Woo and Kyung Mi. Gina makes note of it and goes outside.

After school, Gina found the group of mothers outside the school picking up their kids. Gina greeted them and asks how they were all doing. Some joined Gina on the bench and gossiped, telling her some of their problems. One by one, the mothers left and Gina was then accompanied by Doo Joon. She checks the time, thinking time had passed quickly but today, Doo Joon was early. Gina looks out toward the playground, seeing that five of her students was still there.

"How are you?" Gina asks. "You're early today. How has your week been?"

"Busy but great," replies Doo Joon. "How about you?"

"Pretty good. The days have been getting better," Gina answers with a smile.

"That's great to hear. You seem happier lately, compared to when I first met you."

Gina thought back to the first day and when she told him her sad story. Embarassed, she apologizes. 

"I'm actually sorry about that. We barely knew each other but I told you a personal story. Thanks for listening though."

"No worries. I've been told that I'm a great listener, so if there's anything you need to let out... but we don't really know each other huh," says Doo Joon, flashing her one of his teasing smiles. 

"This might be weird but I really do think you're a great listener. Like that day, I really felt a bit better letting it all out to you," Gina pauses and changes the question. "If you don't mind me asking, how old are you?" 

Gina finds out that Doo Joon was a year older, explaining that Ailee had guessed he was around their age. Gina then asks Doo Joon what he does for a career. He tells her he's a soccer coach for the city's junior team and a youth team formed by kids around Sang Woo's age for fun. He adds that he also plays for the city's team with some other guys during the spring.

"That would explain Sang Woo's love for soccer," says Gina, looking at Sang Woo. "You guys must spend a lot of time together. How does Sang Woo's mom feel about that?"

"Happy, relieved." Doo Joon was quiet then says he should get going. He calls Sang Woo over and they say goodbye to Gina before leaving.

Since Jay was busy, Gina drops by Ailee's shop. At the counter, Hyungsik was working along with Mimi. They seemed a bit closer, so Gina thought of how Ailee's plan had worked. Hyungsik gestures that Ailee was in the back, so Gina walks around to the other side of the counter and joins Ailee in the back.

"Hey, what cake today?" Gina asks Ailee, who was decorating a cake.

"Pororo," replies Ailee.

"Finally," she says after writing Happy Birthday on it. "Phew, there's still two hours before pick up. I thought I'd be late."

"When's you're next one?" Gina asks. "What theme?"

"Let's see," Ailee goes to her planner and turns to the page of the current week. She crosses out the order she just finished and flips to the next page.

"I have two more for this month. Both of which are for your students."

"Sang Woo and Kyung Mi?" Gina asks. 

"Mhmm. Doo Joon came in and Kyung Mi's mom brought in my card, the one I attached to the treats on the first day. I drew a star on their cards so I know it's someone from school. I gave her a 20% discount."

"That's nice. I was planning to get the two of them a gift but what do kids like?" Gina asks Ailee, frowning.

"Just go to the store and ask the workers there for what's popular," says Ailee. "But if it helps, Doo Joon requested a soccer theme. Kyung Mi's mom just asked for pretty flowers, so no help there.

Gina decides to do just that and makes her way to the toy store. When she got there, the workers were busy aiding other customers so Gina goes to pick out the gifts on her own. Thinking, she remembered that Kyung Mi liked Disney princesses. 

Gina strolls through the doll aisle and after a half hour, she decides on an Ariel doll. As she walks over to the boys area, Gina spots Doo Joon, panting and a little sweaty.

"Hey!" Gina calls out. Doo Joon turns and waves when he sees her.

"Looking for a gift for Sang Woo?" She asks when Doo Joon reached her.

"Yes, you?"

"I am too, but I'm not sure what I should get him," says Gina. "Would you help me with that?"

Doo Joon laughs and tells Gina to start in the sport section. As the walk, Doo Joon takes the doll from Gina's basket and asks if the doll was hers. She giggles and grabs the doll back, putting it back in the basket and explains that there was another student with a September birthday. He nods his head and takes the basket from Gina, offering to carry it for her.

As they browse, Gina decided on getting Sang Woo a Pororo soccer ball. She was unsure of such a gift since Sang Woo already had a soccer ball but Doo Joon insisted that Sang Woo would love it and it might even be his favourite toy.

Doo Joon couldn't find anything else that Sang Woo might like so he decides to make a custom soccer t-shirt. He tells Gina that he'll go get one at the mall. Doo Joon follows her to check out and places the items on the conveyor belt. When the toys were bagged, he carries them while Gina pays.

"Where did you park?" Doo Joon asks when they leave the toy store.

"Right there," says Gina pointing to the car across from them. 

"I can take those, thank you." Gina takes the bags from Doo Joon. "You?"

"I jogged here. Well I'll see you tomorrow!"

"Wait!" Gina shouts as Doo Joon was about to run. "You're planning to jog all the way to the mall? I'll give you a ride."

 

Gina dropped by the shop to pick Ailee up to go home together.

"So what'd you get?" Ailee asks once she gets into the car. Gina points to the bags of toys in the back to which Ailee takes a peek of each. "Cute," Ailee comments.

"So how was your day?" Gina asks after driving off and realizing how quiet Ailee was than usual.

"Good," Ailee replies.

"What's up?" Gina asks. "You're... quiet."

"Hyungsik and Mimi... they're getting really close," says Ailee. 

"What's wrong with that? Isn't that what you wanted?" Gina questions.

"Yes, but you haven't seen them. They're more playful. They would jokingly hit each other, they laugh more like they're in their own little world... he looks sweet. If it wasn't for the fact that he's gay, I would've mistaken them for a couple. What if he's not... I don't know."

"Ailee, we're just like that with Hyungsik as well. I think you're just seeing it that way because we have never seen him close with any other girl," Gina explains. 

"You're right. I'm probably thinking too far. This was what I wanted, for them to be closer."

~ - ~

Thursday

"Why am I here?" Hyungsik asks the girls. 

"Why, would you rather be at work with Mimi?"  Ailee asks in return.

"What?" Before Hyungsik gets an explanation, Ailee excuses herself.

"Jay says Ken has something to tell all of us. Some big news," says Gina. "But Jay also wanted you to attend his birthday."

"But I haven't really talked to any of them," says Hyungsik. "Oh well, party tonight! Where is Jay anyway?"

"He said he'll be late," replies Ken out of the blue. He was standing beside a girl in a long sleeve bodycon dress who looked familiar. "He'll be here soon. Meanwhile, Gina let me introduce to my girlfriend, Soo Yeon. Thanks to you, we met."

"Me?" Gina asks and looks at Soo Yeon. She did look familiar. Then it dawned on her. "The waitress?"

"Yup," exclaims Ken as he then receives a call. "Ah, sorry be right back." 

"Anyway, what's up with Ailee? She's been acting strange since yesterday."

"Maybe you should go ask her," Gina suggested pointing to Ailee who was at the bar. Hyungsik did as said and left.

Alone at the booth, Gina look at where Ailee was standing. The same spot that she had hugged Yong Guk. Her thought was interrupted when Ken came in screaming with Jay for everyone to gather where she was sitting. Jay scooted over beside Gina and greeted her with a kiss on the forehead. Feeling loved, Gina smiles at him and looked away shyly. She looks forward and notices the red threads as Ken clears his throat to start his announcement. He began by talking about his friendship with Jay, then wishing him a happy birthday. After everyone cheered, Ken thanked Jay for introducing him to Gina which allowed Ken to meet and fall in love Soo Yeon. It was love at first sight.

"And my big announcement is..." Ken starts as the other guys drums the table. "We're getting married!"

Most of the guys stopped their drumming and cheered. Some, including Jay, yelled out "What?!"

"You guys are what? Ken-" Jay starts but gets interrupted.

"I know, it's only been a few days but guys, we really love each other. I really think she's the one for me," says Ken. "Wedding's on Sunday. It's just some of our friends and family. Jay, I'm leaving for my honeymoon Monday morning, I already booked my ticket and I'll be back Friday. I will practice hard once I'm back to perfect for the upcoming big event. I promise."

"Okay, congratulations man," says Jay. "Should we celebrate?" he yells and the rest of the guys cheers.

One by one, they congratulate Ken, then some goes to get drinks and others to the dance floor. When it was only Jay and Gina left, he excuses himself, saying he needed to talk to Ken. As he left, Ailee and Hyungsik returns, asking what they missed. Gina tells them about Ken getting married.

"Well Ken just took the attention from the birthday boy," says Hyungsik. "But congrats to him."

"Gina, do you know what this means?" Ailee asks excitedly. "Ken clearly said it was you that got them together. Remember what the little girl said? Maybe this will help you see the strings better, or at a more stable state without them flashing at random times."

"I hope so, though I am getting used to seeing them now. I saw them earlier but they're gone now," says Gina.

"Well Gina, I think you should go celebrate Jay's birthday with him. Do a little something so he knows that you didn't forget you came here because of his birthday," Ailee says as she sees Jay enter the club with Ken, who left to the dance floor with his girlfriend. "Since it seems like most of his friends forgot. I'm gonna go dance. And Hyungsik, I need some time to myself please."

"What did you guys talk about over there?" Gina asks after Ailee leaves the booth.

"Well I asked her what was wrong... she didn't give me much. She kept saying she didn't want to talk about it but then Ailee says how she wants a boyfriend. I asked her why she just doesn't wait for a good guy to come by and date him instead of trying to find someone to have such a short relationship with. I don't like it when she gets hurt, you know? Well that led to an argument, and here we are."

"Yeah. I think its because of this gift I supposedly have. We've been talking about love and all that a lot so possibly she feels like she wants to find someone to start a family with," says Gina. She wasn't sure if she should tell Hyungsik about him and Mimi but she decides not to.

"Maybe," Hyungsik says. "I think you should go dance with Jay or something. He's just drinking alone over there. Tell him I wish him a happy birthday please."

Gina nods and gets up to walk toward Jay. "Hey," she says as she sits down. "Happy birthday. Sorry I didn't get you a gift."

"Thanks. It's okay, I'm just happy you're here," Jay says, smiling.

"Hyungsik wishes you a happy birthday too," Gina says, pointing back to the booth where Hyungsik was sitting alone downing drinks.

"He looks upset. Did something happen?" he asks. Gina tells him that Hyungsik and Ailee got into a fight and she told him she needed some time away from him.

"Ahh, they'll probably reconcile soon enough, just like all couples."

"Couple? Haha Jay, no, they're not a couple," says Gina. "Hyungsik's gay."

"What?" Jay yells. "Are you sure?" he asks, shocked.

"Well, I've known both of them since-"

"Right but, I don't know. You see that guy over there?" Jay points to one of who was dancing. "He's gay and he always, always points out a gay person when he sees one. I'm sure he has seen Hyungsik before, if not he should have today, and nothing. Also, you told me of how you guys first met. He was being teased that he was gay but has he ever himself say that he was?"

Gina thought about it for a bit, making sense of what Jay said. "...No but he never corrected us when we talk about it."

"Hm, it was just a thought. Don't think too much about it. I just thought they looked really close like a couple. Guess it's because they spend a little more time together than with you since they work together," says Jay. "Hey, I'll go cheer him up. You should go enjoy yourself with Ailee." With that, Jay takes his cup and join Hyungsik at the booth.

Gina thought hard about what Jay said, thinking about Hyungsik. He really has never said himself that he was gay. But if he wasn't, why would he hide that fact? It didn't make sense. Maybe she was thinking way to much about it. Gina got up and joined Ailee on the dance floor. Ken approached them and thanked Gina repeatedly then left to spend some time with his girlfriend. Once in a while, Gina would take glances at Jay and Hyungsik, who seemed to cheer up. 

"Why aren't you with Jay? Alone?" Ailee asks when she notices Gina looking back at the guys. 

"Jay saw that Sikkie was down so he went to talk to him," says Gina. "You do know he cares a lot about you right?"

"Yes, of course. Sigh, I think I'm getting a bit too sensitive ever since all these lovey dovey type things appear in front of me. I just want to be in love but Hyungsik's right, I should just wait for Mr. Right to come. I'll go apologize for my behaviour, you go spend time with Jay."

The ladies make their way to the booth. Jay was seen to be listening to Hyungsik talk about something intently. When the ladies reached the table, Ailee wishes Jay a happy birthday and Gina pulls Jay toward the dance floor. Despite the music and beats, Gina and Jay were slow dancing, her arms around his neck and hands at her waist.

"So, it's getting late. You should go soon. I don't want you to be too tired at work tomorrow," says Jay.

"We should at least have one dance," says Gina as she pulls herself closer to Jay. "So how's your birthday? Even though all your friend's attention is on Ken's wedding."

"It's actually great. The attention isn't all on me so I get some alone time with you. I'm happy," Jay replies with a big grin on his face. "Plus, I'm happy for the guy."

They look at each other in the eyes, focused. Gina tip toes and gives Jay a peck on the lips, who then bends down to kiss her back. After a few kisses, Gina pulls away and takes Jay's hand, leading him through the crowd to the back of the club. She leans her back against the wall and pulls Jay closer to her.

"Shall we continue?" Gina whispers teasingly as she moves her face closer to his. Jay gives her a smirk and raises his hand to cup her face and kisses her passionately.