Then and Now

EDITING | Tangled Ball of Red

Hello again! Sorry for the late update but here it is! Hope you guys enjoy and thank you for reading :)

"You ended things with the both of them?" Ailee asked, a little shocked. "Why? Well I know why for Yong Guk but... Jay?"

"I thought it through, very hard and I don't think I liked him as much as I lead myself to believe. I wanted to be faithful but obviously I wasn't. It's not fair to him, so this was for the best."

"How did he take it?" Hyungsik asked. "Jay seemed really into you."

"He was very understanding... he knew."

"Knew what?"

"Where my heart was." Gina took a deep breath as she thought back to a few hours prior. "After I left Yong Guk's place, I headed for my mom's house. Jay wasn't home yet so I waited for about half an hour or so..."

~ - ~

The Break Up

"Hey, Jay lightly tapped Gina's cheek. When she opened her eyes and looked at him, he her cheek. "What are you doing here at this hour?"

"We need to talk." Gina sat up on the bed and motioned for Jay to sit next to her. She started off by apologizing to Jay for not attending the fundraiser that he worked so hard for.

He shook his head with a chuckle. "Don't worry about it. So how was your day?"

Gina hesitated, debating whether or not to tell him about her meeting with Yong Guk and Hye Ri or to get straight to the point. Internally conflicted, she asked Jay about his day while she thought about it. 

"It was great. We practiced a bit for the performance this morning before going to the hall for rehearsal. I got to meet many new, amazing people and all the performances were fantastic."

Silence followed and once their eyes met, Jay broke the silence.

"So this is the end for us, isn't it?" he asked Gina, who then lower her head, breaking the eye contact and nodded.

"I'm sorry Jay. I just... I want to be faithful to you, 100%, but lately I've been thinking a lot about-"

"Yong Guk," Jay interrupted. Gina looked surprised so he proceeded to explain. "While you were sleeping, you were calling out his name."

She was shocked to hear what Jay said, unsure how to respond. Gina felt more apologetic to Jay than before.

"Don't worry about it Gina. I kind of prepared myself for something like this. I mean, I came into your life shortly after your break up from a pretty long relationship. I pushed myself into your life when you were vulnerable and you kindly accepted me, which I'm thankful for. I understand."

Gina took a deep breath and started to explain to Jay, beginning with her meet up with the couple in an attempt to gain the closure she seeked for. Even though she didn't get the closure she wanted, she then realized after thinking deeply that she wasn't fully faithful to Jay emotionally and felt that it was unfair to him. She eventually came to the decision that it was best to end things with him to sort out her feelings.

At the end of Gina's speech, Jay gave her a gentle smile. "I understand, I really do so you don't need to apologize."

"Jay..." Gina paused. "I'm thankful that you came to see me after so many years. It was really good to see you again. I want you to know that I did enjoy every moment we had together."

"Me too," said Jay, giving Gina a warm smile. "I should let you get back to sleep. I'll go sleep downstairs."

Gina got up immediately and fixed the bed. "No, no. I'll head home now. Sorry about sleeping in your bed."

"Well, it was initially yours haha. How about I walk you to your car then?"

Gina agreed and they both grabbed their jackets and made their way downstairs. On their way down, Jay told Gina that there was some good news from the fundraiser. A man offered them an opportunity to tour across Asia to perform at similar fundraising events with their expenses paid.

"That's amazing! Where's the next event taking place?"

"Actually I... nevermind. I'm leaving Wednesday night for Malaysia."

"I'll come see you off... if you're fine with that. I'd understand if you don't."

"Why wouldn't I be?" Jay asked. He then noticed the return of the apologetic expression on Gina's face. "Gina, it's okay. I'm okay and I would love you to come. We're still friends right?"

Gina gave him a nod. "Friends."

When they reached the car, Gina turned to give Jay a hug, then walked over to the driver's side. Standing across from each other, they both looked at one another for the last time before Jay bid farewell and made his way back into the house.

~ - ~

"I had the biggest sigh of relief after I got into the car. I felt so much lighter. It's time for me to enjoy a single life, move on from Yong Guk and spend more time with my friends," Gina said as she brought Ailee and Hyungsik closer to her. The three of them hugged then pulled away, Hyungsik patting Gina on the back.

"I hope it'll be easier for you after this," Hyungsik sighed, and Ailee nodded in agreement. "I hope things will get better, all of us."

"All of us?" Gina wondered. "What's wrong Hyungsik?"

"My grandma is getting discharged from the hospital tomorrow and she'll be staying with me, for the the time being. I'd like you guys to come by tomorrow and meet her before... before she leaves this world." Hyungsik noticed the questioning look on the girls' faces. "Even though she is fine now, she's actually still really weak and Ji Wook hyung told me to prepare myself. I've finally come to accept this reality and... I really want her to see you guys again... before something happens."

The room was silent as they thought about Hyungsik's grandma but Hyungsik broke the silence. "Well! I'll get going now. I'll see you guys tomorrow."

Hyungsik got up to head for the door but was stopped by Gina giving him a hug. "I want to thank you for sticking by my side, as well as Yong Guk's. Thank you for being here with me today."

He returned the hug. "Anytime Gina, I'm always here for ya."

Hyungsik turned to leave, quickly adding, "I'll also be officially introducing you to someone important in my life tomorrow. Night girls!"

Ailee called out to him to question him further but Hyungsik continued walking down the hall, his hand gesturing a salute.

"It's Ji Wook oppa, I'm sure of it," Ailee concluded confidently. "I don't know what I was expecting. I'll never get a chance. Or maybe it's Mimi. He's officially introducing her as his 'girlfriend'."

"We don't know Ailee, don't worry, the One for you will come find you one day. Very soon, I'm sure."

"Have you been seeing them red strings lately?" Ailee asked after they returned to the living room.

Gina shook her head. "My mind has been so occupied with Yong Guk I haven't noticed them."

She leaned her head back against the couch and closed her eyes. She thought back to her dream, the one with the little girl leading her to the mysterious man. Who was he? she wondered once again. She opened her eyes and raised her hands in front of her, her fingers spread out. She then focused on her ring finger and a light pink strand appeared but then disappeared immediately right after. Ailee noticed and pushed her left hand into Gina's field of view and asked Gina if she was able to see anything. She was able to; it was longer than hers, and much more bold, leading to the ground where it eventually vanishes.

"Do you think it's because of the lack of love in your life?" Ailee asked after Gina shook her head. "Now that you've ended things with Yong Guk and broke up with Jay, your powers are weakening?"

"I have no clue but I'm not ready to jump back into the dating scene just yet. I want a break... especially after Yong Guk, I need to clear my mind."

"What about Jay? You don't seem too upset over the break up."

Gina sighed. "I don't know how I feel about Jay to be honest. I... I liked him but... as horrible as it sounds, Yong Guk was all I could think about."

"Well you did what was right. You figured out your feelings before your relationship could've gotten deeper." Ailee paused in thought. "You should try meditating. Clear your mind."

"Meditation?" Gina asked with a giggle. "How did you get that idea?"

"A customer once told me about it at the shop." Ailee then looked at the time, which was getting close to 2 and suggested they should head to bed. The two headed to their bedrooms after bidding each other a good night.

Tuesday

"Gina!" yelled a voice coming from behind Gina. She turned around and saw Sunghwa speed walking toward her.

"Sorry, I mean Miss. Choi," she corrected herself, smirking at Gina as she sat down next to her. "So... how are you doing? From yesterday."

Gina nodded. "Much, much better. I ended things once and for all with my ex and boyfriend. Well, he's now my ex too," explained Gina, before realizing she revealed too much to Sung Hwa, information that has not been shared. She tried to clarify herself a bit more after realizing she made herself sound like she cheated and began to ramble. "Sorry, that sounds horrible. Let me clear that up. The ex issues I mentioned yesterday was referring to my ex, Yong Guk. We broke up not too long ago because, well, there's another woman. It was hard for me but with the help of Doo Joon, I tried to get closure which I finally did yesterday. A few weeks ago, a childhood friend came and we rekindled our feelings... but then I realized my feelings weren't true and ended things with him as well."

"Wow," commented Sung Hwa after Gina's explanation. 

Gina looked at Sung Hwa, trying to read the expression on her face. "Oh my god, sorry for bombarding you with all that personal information." 

"No, no. It's just, you've been going through such hardships with your ex. I wished I could've helped. I was going through a tough time myself not too long ago."

"Was it Doo Joon who helped you get over it?" Gina asked.

"As a matter of fact it was." Sung Hwa's face then changed and a huge smirk was plastered across her face.

"What?" Gina asked in confusion as a response to the change in Sung Hwa's expression. "What's so funny?"

"Nothing, I just realized something, that's all."

"Well, I'm thankful to have met you and Doo Joon. For some reason, I just end up sharing my personal life with you two like it's nothing. Which might not be such a good thing."

Sung Hwa nodded. "I'm a great listener. Are you planning to get back in the dating field any time soon?"

"No," Gina replied with the shake of her head. "I think I need a break. Time to figure some things out. Why? Is there someone you had in mind?" she asked after seeing Sunghwa's expression.

Sung Hwa excitedly started, "Yeah. He's a great guy. Single, friendly, great with k-" 

"No, no," Gina interrupted with a laugh. "Don't make it tempting. But thanks, I appreciate it."

"Haha, okay. When you've decided to start dating again, just let me know."

"Will do!"

Just then, a call came for Sung Hwa. After hanging up, Sung Hwa apologized and excused herself, explaining that someone asked to see her at work. Noticing how rushed Sung Hwa was, Gina offered to drive the mother and son to the firm. They immediately left when the last of Gina's student was picked up.

Once they reached the law firm, Sung Hwa hopped out of the car and went inside first. Gina left to find a parking space then sat in the car in silence with Sang Woo. For some reason outside the school setting, Gina didn't know what to talk about and ended up starring at him.

"So what'd you do at recess today?" Gina managed to ask. Sang Woo excitedly stood up in the back seat and told Gina about his day.

Sang Woo's story was interrupted with a knock on the passenger window, shocking Gina once she saw who it was: the man from yesterday's incident. She got out of the car, as well as Sang Woo, and met the man in front of her car.

"Hi," Gina greeted nervously then scanned the man's body. "Are you hurt anywhere? I can pay for any medical bill-"

"He was fine yesterday. He's not injured," Sung Hwa chimed in.

"Like she said, I'm totally fine. I'm actually here because I owe you an apology for yelling at you. I was running late for a job interview so I was a bit stressed out and took it out on the both of you," the man explained. "Name's Jin."

"Jin. Well, I understand why you were angry. It was my fault completely so no need to apologize. But how did you..." Gina wondered how he found her and pointed toward the law firm.

"Ah, Miss Sung Hwa here gave me a business card yesterday, which I thought was hers. So I decided to come apologize to this lawyer Hee Young, but of course it wasn't her. When Sung Hwa came, I apologized but she told me the person I should be apolgizing to was outside then I found you. I didn't know you guys were friends. That's why you were defending her huh?" Jin asked Sung Hwa jokingly.

"She didn't even know it was me at first," Sung Hwa laughed then motioned Sang Woo over. "She's actually my son's kindergarten teacher."

"Your son," Jin said in surprise, pointing at Sang Woo and then at Gina. "His teacher."

"Yup! Thanks to you, we've become good friends!" said Sung Hwa.

"Well then, you guys should treat me to something!" Jin joked again. "Just playing. I should be the one treating you guys for being rude yesterday."

"No, no! I was at fault!" Gina kept trying to make it clear to Jin that it was her fault but he continued to insist on treating them just once, something simple like over coffee.  The ladies eventually gave in and were deciding on a date. Gina was interrupted when she received a call from Ailee.

 

"Dr. Lee!" Ailee called out and rushed over through the automatic doors. Gina followed behind her, catching her breath. "Hyungsik?"

"Just down the hall, third door on the left. I'll join you guys shortly. Just getting a drink for Hyungsik," replied Dr. Lee and immediately left.

Both Gina and Ailee quickly got to the room and paused to calm down their heart rate. After awhile, Ailee slid the door open quietly and took a peek inside. She stopped and stared, still. 

"Ailee?" Gina whispered then poked her head in. At the bed side was Hyungsik, his body hunched over as he held onto his grandma's hand. Mimi was hovered over behind him in a hug-like manner, one hand rubbing Hyungsik's back comforting him. Ailee quickly pushed away her thoughts and lightly knocked on the door and greeted Mini with a wave. Gina waved after Hyungsik turned around, his face distressed, and Mimi's wet.

"How is your grandma?" Gina asked worriedly. "What happened? I thought she was in good condition to go home."

Hyungsik shook his head. "I got her out to the parking lot just fine. I went to make her seat more comfortable then when I turned back she had her eyes closed. I tapped and called her and she woke up; she was just exhausted and weak. When I helped her up, she fainted and... it was just a huge scare for me. Turns out she was dehydrated. I know I was told to be prepared but... I guess I'm not ready for that time yet."

"Don't worry, it isn't that time yet," comforted Ailee, patting Hyungsik on the back.

"She hasn't woken up since?" Gina asked and Mimi shook her head. The four of them turned to look at Hyungsik's grandma worriedly.

"Hyungsik!" cried Dr. Lee in a panicked voice, eyeing Ailee and Gina when Hyungsik turned around. "Dad's here."

Hyungsik's expression hardened and within seconds, a man in a suit walked into the room. Everyone but Hyungsik bowed.

"You're all here," he said as he looked around the room. "No surprise."

"She's not dead yet, if you're wondering," Hyungsik bluntly said.

"Oppa!" Mimi chided and nudged Hyungsik.

Gina and Ailee looked at each other in confusion, and feeling the tension in the room.

"I don't think I've met you two," Hyungsik's dad said as he made his way over to the girls.

"Gina, Ailee. Meet my dad," Hyungsik coldly introduced, his back still facing everyone.

"Mr. Park," both Gina and Ailee greeted as he reached for a handshake.

"Well, I don't want to make you guys uncomfortable with my company so I'll leave for now. Ji Wook, inform me of the status of her condition?" Mr. Park tilted his head toward the door. "Outside?"

Dr. Lee nodded and both men left the room, that remained silent. Gina and Ailee looked at Mimi, who seemed conflicted.

"Oppa, when is this going to end?" Mimi asked Hyungsik quietly, with a hint of pleading in her voice.

"When he starts acting like a dad," Hyungsik replied with an apathetic tone. "Not a business man."

Hyungsik closed his eyes, took a deep breath and turned around. "Sorry guys. Sorry to show you that side of me."

"No, no. It's fine. Do you... want to be alone?" Ailee asked.

"No. If you guys aren't busy, can you stay?"

"Of course! We'll be here for you," Gina replied. "Always."

The three best friends smiled at each other in silence until Dr. Lee entered the room.

"He left. He's planning on coming tomorrow morning though."

Hyungsik took a big sigh then asked everyone to gather around. "So, Ailee, Gina. There was something I wanted to tell you guys today: my family. As you saw, I don't really have a good relationship with my father, that's why you guys haven't heard much about him. The only important people in my life were you guys, Ailee and Gina, my grandma..." Hyungsik paused with a smile. "... and my brother and sister, Ji Wook hyung and Mimi."

Both Gina and Ailee had their mouths open in surprise, especially Ailee.

"You guys..." Ailee lost her words but was pointing back and forth between the three siblings.

"He's my biological brother," Mimi said, pointing to Dr. Lee then pointed at Hyungsik. "He's my step brother."

Ailee nodded as she processed the information. "So this was the family problem you were talking about, Mimi. That's why you've been so down."

"Why now?" Gina questioned. "I mean, we've known each other for years and you kept this from us Hyungsik. Dr. Lee and Mimi."

"It wasn't that I didn't trust you guys. I just didn't think... it mattered. I don't have that great as a family dynamic as you two. Gina and Ailee, your parents are family to me, they gave me a sense of belonging, more than my own family could ever show me. Well, besides Ji Wook and Mimi. They were my best friends for the two years or so before I left home. I haven't seen them since until I ran into Ji Wook after befriending Yong Guk and Mimi when she came back to Korea." Hyungsik paused and looked at everyone before continuing. "Shortly after my mom died, Ji Wook, Mimi and their mother moved into our home. I was mad and confused as to why and how my dad could've moved on so quickly. I later learned that my parents were going through the process of divorce, which made sense of the stress that lead to my mom's death. Apparently it was over the land that my grandpa, my father's side, left for my mom. My dad wanted to claim back what was 'his' but unfortunately for him, my mom left the plot to my grandma and I. What angered me back then was that my dad showed no grief over my mom's death and all he cared about was the land and it pisses me off even more now that after all these years with no contact, when he heard my grandma collapsed, the first thing he asks me about is the land. If grandma passes away, the land will then solely belong to me so he's trying to convince me to hand the land to him because you know, what use do I have for that land? I did do a lot of thinking and heck, I want to just give it to him to get him off my back but at the same time I don't want to give him the satisfaction."

Ailee was silent, taking in all that Hyungsik just told them. "So at the parking lot the other day, the punch, was that related to this?"

Dr. Lee nodded. "My mother wanted me to try and convince Hyungsik to hand over the land to his dad. His emotions were elevated during that time so I understand that what I did didn't make it any better for Hyungsik."

"As bad as this sounds coming from us," Mimi started. "But our mom is just as greedy as Hyungsik's dad is, that's how they found each other. Sigh, but our mom, not that it makes her better person, but she becames like this because my dad left us after I was born. She became a single mother and had to work hard to raise the both of us so we needed money, except she doesn't know when it's time to stop reaching for the top."

"Wow," Ailee blurted out.

Dr. Lee chuckled. "You can say that again."

"So... that's my family," Hyungsik concluded and silence followed.

"Oh right, here's your water," Dr. Lee said while pulling a small water bottle from his pocket. "I didn't want to interrupt but this was all that was left in the staff room."

Hyungsik grabbed the bottle and thanked Dr. Lee. "I think I'll spend the night here so you guys can leave. I want to be alone."

The girls gave Hyungsik a hug each before leaving together with Dr. Lee. 

"I'll check up on him once in awhile so don't worry. If anything, I'll call you guys," Dr. Lee assured before making his way back to his office.

Entering the hospital lobby, Mimi apologized to Ailee and Gina for deceiving them the first time they met at the cafe. Hyungsik had requested that they act as though they were strangers because of their family background. Ailee and Gina forgave her, understanding the reason why.

"I'm glad Hyungsik have you guys by his side, if anything were to happen to his grandma."

"You make it sound as though you won't be here. He also has you and Dr. Lee as support," noted Ailee.

"Ji Wook oppa, yes. Me? I don't know. Not that I don't like it here, I've made great friends but I want to be away from all this family drama. I didn't come back for this. It's not just our parents that are eyeing that piece of land but it extends to Hyungsik's uncles. I don't know the full details but it's complicated."

"Gina!" A voice shrieked from the side of the room, causing Ailee to flinch. Gina turned towards the voice and found Yong Guk and Hye Ri walking toward them, arms hooked.

"Hye Ri, Yong Guk. Hey!" Gina greeted them when they got closer. "What are you-"

"We just went for our ultrasound! Since it's been almost 14 weeks," Hye Ri over enthusiastically shared and pulled them out of her purse to show the girls. Mimi was the only one who was excitedly interested.

"Are you okay? Why are you at the hospital?" Yong Guk asked worriedly, his eyes focused only on Gina.

Gina shook her head. "Hyungsik's grandma is ill so we came to visit." 

"Oh, I see. What room is she in? Is Hyungsik stil there?" Yong Guk asked.

"Room 247," informed Mimi. "He's still there."

Yong Guk thanked Mimi and turned to leave without Hye Ri, who then quickly said good bye and followed behind Yong Guk. Gina noticed something odd trailing behind Hye Ri but decided to wait when she was alone with Ailee to discuss it.

"Oh crap, Hyungsik wanted to be alone," Mimi realized.

"Nah, should be fine. They're pretty close. I'm also glad you told them because it would've been awkward if we had to walk with them out to the parking lot."

"Why?" Mimi asked, curious.

Ailee glanced over at Gina and whispered to Mimi. "That was Gina's ex."

"You didn't have to whisper," Gina said with a laugh. "I can still hear you."

"He still loves you. I can see it in his eyes," Mimi stated, causing AIlee to nudge her as a result. Mimi turned and mouthed 'what' to Ailee.

"I know," Gina said, looking a little sad.

"So I don't get it. Why did he marry someone else?"

"They're not married. Yet," Ailee tried to explain. "He got Hye Ri pregnant and that's why him and Gina are over."

"Oh, I'm so sorry Gina."

"Don't worry about it. I've... moved on."

"Come to think of it, didn't it seem like she was trying to rub those ultrasound photos in your face? Did she even need to scream your name across the room so eagerly?" Ailee asked, feeling annoyed about Hye Ri. Gina shrugged her shoulders in response.

Mimi joined Ailee and Gina on the ride home, telling them that she had recently moved in with Hyungsik with plans to help take care of his grandma. Ailee suggested that Mimi sleep over so that she wouldn't be alone and that they could leave for work the next day, only if Mimi felt comfortable with it. Mimi agreed and dropped by Hyungsik's suite to quickly wash up and change before going to Gina and Ailee's suite.

Wednesday

That evening, Gina drove Jay to the airport. On the way, it started off with an awkward silence but Jay started the conversation by telling Gina his plans for when he'd reach Malaysia. Gina told him to make sure to update her once in awhile on his travelling, hoping that they are still friends, and exchanged Skype users. Once they reached the airport, Jay insisted that Gina dropped him off at the doors, not wanting the other members to ask about Gina. She respected his decision and agreed to drop him at the doors. 

Gina temporarily parked and got off to meet Jay on the passenger side. "Bye Jay."

Jay pulled her into his embrace and Gina happily hugged him back. "Bye Gina."

"Good luck on your performances. Be careful and don't get hurt. I hope one day I'll be able to watch another in person."

Jay pulled away and laughed. "Of course, one day! And Gina, I hope you find your happiness."

Gina smiled. "Thanks Jay, I hope you find your girl. Maybe she's in Malaysia."

"Maybe."

"I know I've said this many times but Jay, I'm still sorry."

Jay shook his head and took Gina's hands into his. "No Gina, it's okay. I don't want to leave here today with you still feeling apologetic. What's meant to be will be meant to be, we can't force it and I've realized that about us."

Gina nodded in agreement. "Okay, okay. I guess it's really time for good bye."

Jay let go and grabbed his luggage, his back facing Gina. He paused and turned to face her one last time. "Gina, I'm really okay and I mean it. So what I mean is: I was your then and Yong Guk is your now," he said before flashing her a comforting smile and walked through the doors into the airport.