Chapter 13

EDITING | Tangled Ball of Red

Sorry for the late update but here it is! Thanks for waiting and of course, thanks for reading. Hope you guys enjoy :) 

Friday

Gina woke up to the ringing of her cellphone. Picking up the phone, Jay greets her with a sweet 'Good Morning,' telling Gina that he wanted to hear her voice before his day started. Gina, embarrassed, giggles and tells Jay how great it was to be woken up to his voice. Jay's voice deepens as it lowers into a whisper, reminding her about their make out session, saying how they should do it again some time soon. Gina laughs, but agrees, and the two say their goodbyes.

"You seem to be in a good mood. Would it have anything to do with Jay?" Ailee asks as she came to the table, while Gina was setting up breakfast. When she settled down, Gina happily nods in response to Ailee's question.

"I saw you guys in the back," teases Ailee. "Now that's quite a birthday gift if you ask me. Too bad Ken had to get way too drunk and make a ruckus, otherwise Jay wouldn't have left to help."

"I know," sighs Gina. "But it might have been for the best. I kind of lost myself, don't know how far we would've went. In the moment it felt right."

After breakfast, Gina dropped Ailee at the shop a bit early since she had to bake a few cakes to sell. Ailee likes for her cakes to be freshly baked on the day of business. Since Gina had a little more than half an hour to spare, she decided to visit Jay at the studio. 

When she arrived at the studio, she found Jay, Ken and a few guys sitting in a circle, relaxed and talking. Ken noticed Gina emerge from the dark from the door and yelled out her name. As she walked toward them, she saw how a big smile was forming on Jay's face. Before she reached them, Jay had excused the both of them and took Gina's hand, leading her toward the door. She heard Ken and the others whisper behind her but she didn't care.

Jay pulls her to the wall, on the right side of the door where they were in the dark. He closes the gap between them, their faces so close she was able to feel his breathing. Feeling thrilled, Gina wraps her hands around Jay's neck and pulls him into a kiss. As they kiss, the door opens when a few of the dancers arrive. Gina pauses but realizes why Jay picked the spot: they were behind the door when opened, out of sight. Jay gives her one of his y smirks and whispers 'just another minute' and continues kissing her. Jay slowly trails kisses down to her neck and by doing so, his hand moves and was placed at the nape of her neck. His other hand was at the top of her thigh after pulling he leg up against his. Jay then rests his hand at her waist, startling Gina.

"Wait," whispers Gina, a bit surprised, pushing Jay lightly away. "I- I should be going now."

"Just a few more minutes," says Jay, leaning in to continue their kiss but Gina stops him by blocking with her hands.

"No Jay, I need to go." Jay notices how panicked Gina looked and nods.

"I'll walk you out?" he asks, to which Gina nods.

"Gina, are you okay?" Jay asks when they reach the car. 

"Yeah, sorry, I just... forgot I had to prepare something before the kids get to school. Love you," says Gina, giving Jay a peck on the lips before freezing up as she realized what she said.

"You love me?" Jays asks. Gina turns around to find Jay with smirk on his face.

"I- you know- it's just-" Gina was struggling to find words to explain herself.

"Teasing ya," Jay says and gives Gina a kiss on the forehead. "I'll call you once I'm free."

 

Once lunchtime arrived, Gina sat in her classroom, instead of the staff room, alone at her desk. Picking at her food, she stared at her calendar where Yong Guk's name was printed on the upcoming Thursday. Thoughts of the morning with Jay, and Yong Guk were swarming around in her head. She thought she had moved on entirely, but not yet. The way Jay touched her, held her, his hand at the back of her neck and waist brought her back to the intimate times she spent with Yong Guk. He held her the same way. The way she liked to.

Gina's thoughts were pushed away by a knock on her door. She looked up to find Ailee holding a small box, standing with Doo Joon.

"Cake is here!" cries Ailee as she walks through the door toward the back of the room, followed by Doo Joon carrying a bag. "I baked a small cake for the two and class instead of just two cupcakes."

"Thanks! And you are here because...?" Gina was aiming her question at Doo Joon.

"I was actually at the shop, to pick up Sang Woo's cake to celebrate his birthday with the class. Ailee told me I should pick it up tomorrow since you already planned a little birthday party for the kids anyway, so here I am helping," explained Doo Joon, raising his two hands that were carrying bags. 

"Sang Woo can keep that cake for family tomorrow," says Ailee as she lays out the party hats and toys.

"Ailee?" asks Dong Woo, sticking his head in through the door. "Thought I heard your voice."

"Hey!" greets Ailee, then looks over at Gina and Doo Joon. "I'll be right back."

There was an awkward silence after Ailee left, Gina and Doo Joon just standing looking at the table Ailee had set up.

"Do you want to join me outside? Lunchtime is ending soon so I-" 

"Yeah, sure," interrupts Doo Joon. "I miss the little guy." 

Gina smiles at his remark, charmed by how much he seemed to love his son. When they got outside, Doo Joon found Sang Woo kicking the soccer around with two other guys. 

"I'm assuming those two are Shin and Min Ki," says Doo Joon. Gina looks over to see Doo Joon with a big proud smile on his face.

"Mhmm. Does he talk about them a lot?" Gina asks.

"Yeah. Now when I ask him about his day, he tells me about it using we instead I. I'm glad he has opened up and made some friends."

Sang Woo spots Doo Joon and starts running toward him. Doo Joon catches him and carries him up high, then giving him a kiss on the check before he lets Sang Woo down. "Go play. I'll see you later," instructed Doo Joon.

"I don't want to be rude," starts Gina. "But I've noticed that Sang Woo is much, much closer to you than his mom. They seem a bit distant."

When Doo Joon was quiet and didn't reply, Gina apologized for the personal judgement.

"No need to apologize. What you observed seems about right. His mom isn't around much so he's been under my care most of his time. All the time, actually, that's why. Sang Woo means the world to me and I want the best for him. As for his mom-" Doo Joon was interrupted when the bell rang and the kids began running toward to school to line up outside the doors.

 

"Everybody, today we are going to celebrate Kyung Li's and Sang Woo's birthdays," announces Gina, standing between the two kids in front of the class. "I want everyone to gather around the table in the back, but do not touch the cover."

Before the kids got inside from lunch break, Ailee had covered up the cake so that the kids wouldn't go crazy over it, which was a very good idea. The kids went to the back, calm but curious. Some kept touching the cover and lifting it up a teensy bit. Once everyone was in the back, Ailee lifted the cover off and the kids starts jumping in excitement. Gina moved the cake in front of Sang Woo and Kyung Li, and Doo Joon lighting up the candles. Ailee got the other kids to stand properly for a quick photo then allowed them to surround the cake. At the count of 3, Gina started singing happy birthday, soon followed by the kids. After the two blew out the candles, Doo Joon offered to cut the cake up for the kids.

"I need to find a guy like him," whispers Ailee as the two girls watch Doo Joon cut and hand out the cakes one by one. 

"You will," says Gina. 

"By the way, what were you thinking about before I came? You were so... blank."

"I-" Gina hesitated. "I was thinking about Yong Guk, to be honest." Gina looked down to the ground.

"Why?? His wedding?" Ailee asks. Gina then felt sad as she realized his wedding was tomorrow.

"No. This morning, I dropped by to see Jay before coming to school and-"

"Oh my! You went to see him? Missed him already?" teased Ailee, to which Gina blushed. 

"Yeah. I mean, last night was wonderful. I just wanted to feel like that again. I wanted to see him. I felt like I was falling for someone all over again but then..."

"But then what??" asks Ailee, wanting to know.

"This morning, the way he was kissing me reminded me of how Yong Guk..."

"How did he kiss any different from last night?"

"Well, he... I'm not sure. Wasn't in my right mind to think about that. It's just last night he didn't place his hand back here or here," says Gina, pointing to the back of her neck then her waist. "Yong Guk..."

"I see... I guess that's something you can't really forget," says Ailee and sighs. She walks to Gina's desk and sits in her chair, spinning around.

"I don't know what to think anymore. I'm confused about my feelings again," says Gina, sad.

"Let's start off with this," says Ailee as she reaches over to Gina's desk calendar, pointing to Yong Guk's circled name. "You should get rid of all things reminding you of Yong Guk."

"But Ailee I-"

"No buts Gina. If you really wanted to move on this should've been done long time ago. I don't know why I didn't tell you earlier," says Ailee, throwing out Gina's calendar. "I'll get you a new one."

"Cake, ladies?" says Doo Joon, approaching them with two plates of cake with him.

"Thank you!" says both at the same time. Doo Joon laughs and goes to sit next to Sang Woo and his two friends.

After cake and playing in class, Gina gave the birthday kids their gifts. Kyung Li seemed to love hers, but Sang Woo was silent. Recess time came and Gina gave them the rest of the afternoon to play outside. Luckily, it was a nice, warm fall day.

 

"What did Dong Woo want with you? He's been asking about you a lot lately," says Gina.

"Same old, just asked if I was free to go for drinks," Ailee replies. "I said no because, I don't know, I suddenly feel like being serious with my life now. No more fooling around. We're almost 26. My mom was pregnant with me at before that age."

"You've really been thinking about your future lately," comments Gina. 

"Thanks to someone," says Ailee, turning to give Gina a playful glare. "Sigh. I finished school, got my business going. I just want a family now."

"Me too. I'm still confused. This morning, Ailee, after seeing Jay, the lines were everywhere. I don't even know if all of this is even true, what the girl said and what I'm seeing. I just wish they'd show me the way to him already."

The sound of laughter and excitement was heard, taking Gina and Ailee away from their conversation. In the field, Doo Joo was surrounded by half of Gina's class, running around him and trying to kick the ball. Doo Joon would do some tricks causing laughter then passes the ball to one of the kids. As they chased after the ball, Sang Woo and Doo Joon were in their own little world as the dad chased his son, capturing him in his arms then playfully spin him and tickle him.

"The more I see them, the more I want a family," says Ailee with a sigh. "He's definitely around our age but already a great father."

"Yeah," replies Gina, still watching the two.

"You know, he comes by the shop a lot. Sometimes for some treats, sometimes for coffee. Majority of those times, he mentions you."

"So what are you saying?" Gina asks, not seeing where Ailee was going with it.

"I think he's interested in you," replies Ailee.

"Ailee, he's married. He has a wife and Sang Woo. He has a family."

"Doesn't mean he can't be interested in you," says Ailee.

"Ailee, something has gotten to your head. Are you hearing yourself? Where is this coming from?" asks Gina, baffled at what Ailee was suggesting. 

"I've seen his wife one weekend when the three of them came to the shop. I've seen the way he looks at her and the way he looks at you."

"I still don't know where you're going with this," says Gina, shaking her head. "I don't understand why Doo Joon is suddenly in the picture."

"I've just noticed today but he isn't wearing a wedding band."

"Ailee, no. Just no. Even if what you're saying is true, which is not, it can't happen. For many reasons. First of all, he's MARRIED Ailee, married. I'm not going to wreck their family. I know he plays soccer so maybe he took off his ring in case it falls off. Secondly, Sang Woo is my student, Doo Joon is his parent. Teacher and parent? No. Lastly, I don't have feelings for him. Especially since he already has a family. Ailee, I'll say that one more time. Family. Plus, he's a great friend I can talk to. I don't want to ruin that."

"I see," was all Ailee said. She had her thinking face on and was quiet after that. Both the girls sat in silence while watching the kids play.

 

After the kids left, Gina and Ailee returned to the classroom to clean up. When done, they made their way to the cake shop. It was empty when they got inside and the first thing that Ailee saw was Hyungsik and Mimi talking and joking around. Once they noticed Ailee and Gina, they calmed down from laughing and greeted them. The ladies made their way to a table, sitting down across from each other in silence. As Mimi approached their table, asking what they wanted to drink, Ailee got up and made her way to the back as Gina asked for some water. Before Mimi went to get some water, Ailee came out with a water bottle and told Gina that they should get going. Ailee walked out the door without saying goodbye so Gina said bye for the both of them and joined Ailee outside.

Ailee had a frown on by the time they reached the car. Gina had noticed how Ailee has been acting strange and decided to wait for Ailee to talk about it when she felt like it. During the silent ride home, Ailee finally broke the silence.

"She's getting on my nerves," mutters Ailee.

"Who? Mimi?" Gina asks. "Why?"

"I don't know. I just don't really like her."

"This isn't because she's seems to be getting close to Hyungsik, is it?" Ailee gave Gina no response.

"Ailee, you were the one-"

"I know, I know. I'm the one that pushed them to be closer. I'm just confused. The way he looks at her."

"Again with the look Ailee. Are you sure there is a look?" Gina asks.

"I've seen the way Yong Guk looked at you in the past years. That was love. They way Jay looked at you that night when you were with Yong Guk, that was jealousy. When he heard about the two of you, Jay's look for you was full of anger, with care and love. With Doo Joon, he looked at you with interest, like he wanted to know more about you," explains Ailee.

"Wow, Ailee, you must have a gift or something," jokes Gina, earning herself a light punch from Ailee.

"I'm serious, Gina."

"Sorry, sorry. I just don't see it from Doo Joon. So what look did you see from Hyungsik?"

"I don't know Gina, that's why I'm confused. His look was full of care and love, but how? Is it possible that Hyungsik is into both es?"

Gina thought about Ailee's question, and brought up what Jay had told her last night. How he thought Ailee and Hyungik were a couple, and how his dance member did not point Hyungsik out as a gay person.

"But Ailee, I think you're just overthinking things. With Hyungsik, it's probably because you haven't seen him ever that close with another girl other than me. You're not used to it. The love and care that you see through his eyes, could be him looking out for Mimi and caring for her like a sister. And let's say Sikkie did like Mimi. We should be happy for him. It'll be the first person he'll bring home ever!"

"Haha, you're right. I am probably thinking way too much about it," says Ailee, now smiling.

~ - ~

Saturday

"Hey Ailee," Gina calls, lightly nudging a sleeping Ailee. "Ailee!"

"Just a few more minutes," Ailee moans as she turns her back to Gina. "No, I'm not going to work today."

"Why not?" Gina asks. "We slept so early last night. Why do you look so tired?"

"You were overthinking things again weren't you? Couldn't fall asleep," Gina assumed.

"Yeah. Yeah I did. I'm not in the mood to see those two today so do you mind calling Hyungsik for me?" Ailee asks Gina, finally opening her eyes.

"Okay," Gina says, and gets up to go to her room to grab her phone and returns to Ailee's room. Laying at the end of the bed, she calls Hyungsik, putting him on speaker phone.

"Hey Hyungsik," she greets when he picked up. "Ailee isn't feeling that well so she won't be coming to work today."

"Is she okay?" Hyungsik asks worriedly. "I'll come by before heading to the shop."

In the corner of Gina's eye, she saw Ailee light up with a smile after Hyungsik's decision to drop by to see her. But that changed in a second when right before he hung up, the voice of Mimi was heard as she was asking Hyungsik what was wrong.

"Was that... Mimi's voice?" Ailee asks in confusion. "It's still a bit early. Did he already go pick her up for work? What about me? See Gina, he hasn't come here in a while to even give me a ride to the shop."

"Ailee! Calm down. You were the one that told him you didn't need a ride anymore because I'd be driving you."

"Still, he hasn't dropped by to even hangout."

"Ailee, what has gotten into you? Are you jealous that he's spending more time with someone else other than us?"

"I- I don't know," Ailee groans after some thought and lays back down, pulling her pillow over her head.

"Ailee, we should be happy he made a friend. Especially someone great as Mimi," says Gina.

"Do you think this is what he felt like when both of us were dating people? How we didn't make time for him?"

"Who knows. If he did, I guess we now know how he felt. How about we do something tomorrow together, just the three of us," Gina suggested.

"Yeah, let's! After the wedding."

"Oh right, the wedding! The wedding... Today's Yong Guk's wedding."

"Oh Gina," whispers Ailee after removing the pillow from her face and sits up, giving Gina a hug.

After a moment of silence, there was a knock on the door. Ailee excitedly gets up but Gina tells her to stay, since Ailee wasn't supposed to be feeling well. She leaves the room as Ailee sits, waiting for Hyungsik. Once Gina opened the door, Hyungsik greets her with a quick 'Hey' and dashes to Ailee's room. Behind him was Mimi, who stayed at the door with Gina. Shortly after, the two joined Hyungsik to Ailee's room.

"Mimi! What are you doing here so early?" Ailee asks, trying to act casual.

"I-" starts Mimi but was interrupted by Hyungsik.

"Ah, didn't tell you. Mimi's staying at my place for a few days. Two days ago there was a water leakage in her building so she's just waiting until it's fixed," explains Hyungsik.

"So she's been staying with you? For two days now?"

"Yes, and before you say anything, I've been sleeping in the living room."

Before Ailee was about to say anything else, Gina interrupted. "Hm, Mimi, if you don't mind, you can stay here with us if that makes you more comfortable."

"Yes! I insist," shouts Ailee, a little too eagerly. "Um, you can use my bed. I'll sleep with Gina."

"I don't want to trouble you guys," says Mimi, feeling unsure.

"No, no. No trouble at all," adds Gina. She looked at Mimi, waiting for a reply. Before doing so, Mimi looked at Hyungsik who nodded, then agreed to spend the night with the girls.

"We should get going," says Hyungsik while getting up. "Are you sure you're not feeling well enough to not come to work?"

"I- I'll come some time in the afternoon. I just to sleep away this headache," says Ailee as she points to her temples and lays down.

"Okay lazy pants," says Hyungsik, lightly tapping her on the head. "Better see you later."

"Hey," Gina calls out before Hyungsik walked out the door. He told Mimi to go first, to meet him downstairs. 

"Yeah?" Hyungsik asks.

"I think Ailee misses hanging out together. Want to tomorrow after Ken's wedding?" 

"Of course! The three of us, just like before," Hyungsik replies with a big smile on his face. As he turns to leave, Gina calls out to him again. 

"The wedding. Yong Guk's. When are you going tonight?" Gina asks curiously.

"Right the wedding! Forgot to tell you but there was a change of plans. Hye Ri's grandmother flew in from somewhere a few days ago and insisted they change the wedding day because the Saturday two weeks from now is the best day for a wedding. Apparently Yong Guk's mother has been frantically making phone calls to post phone everything. Yong Guk himself seem to be enjoying it," Hyungsik explains with a shrug. 

"Yong Guk is looking better Gina," says Hyungsik quietly. "Since you've been with Jay these days, I'm assuming you've moved on. If you can, I think it'll be nice if you attend Yong Guk's wedding. As support."

"Are you sure that's such a good idea? What if, what if I ruin the wedding by going?"

"I think it'll be nice for him to have some friendly faces in the crowd. His close friends are all out of town. Some from the hospital are busy. Only we are left of his friends that can come."

"I'll think about it," replies Gina with an unsure, tender smile. 

 

"Hey, come on in," Gina says as she invites Mimi into the place. "Where's Ailee?"

"Should be coming soon, she dropped me off before she went to park the car," says Mimi. Mimi awkwardly walks in like a lost child, and looks around the room.

"How about Hyungsik?" Gina asks.

"He had to go to the hospital, to take care of some business."

"Ahh, I see. Here, you can leave your bag," says Gina as she walks into Ailee's room and points to the ground beside the bed. 

Just then, Ailee came home and excuses herself to take a shower. While waiting, Gina decided to cut some fruits, which Mimi offered to help. Gina asked Mimi about her background to get to know her better and initiate conversation.

"I was studying fashion design in the States but I've got some family matters to attend to so I'm back here for about a month. Most of my family actually doesn't know I'm back yet, because I want to be back here to enjoy. When they need me to intervene, I'll present myself then."

"Oh sorry about your family but wow, fashion design. What got you into fashion?" Gina asks, interested.

"Weddings. I attended one so far in my life, my stepmom's actually. I went to the dress shops with her and the look of wedding dress were beautiful.  All the designs, materials, the little details and threading just stood out to me. As a side hobby, I take photographs. Usually of weddings as well. I love capturing those little precious moments of the way the bride and groom looks at each other."

"Oh really? How about you come with us tomorrow. A friend of a friend of mine is getting married and I don't believe they have a photographer," suggested Gina.

"Oh? I'd love to! When is the wedding? There's work tomorrow," says Mimi with a frown.

"I was told to meet at 1 in the church," Gina says, thinking back to what Jay told her. "Ailee should just close the shop tomorrow."

"What?" asks Ailee, walking out of the washroom and towel drying her hair.

"Tomorrow we're all going to Ken's wedding. You should close the shop for the day. We'll be out together after anyway."

"Oh, yeah why not," replies Ailee, who walks to her room to hang up her towel. 

"Hyungsik's coming too? He didn't mention it," says Mimi. 

Ailee joins the girls in the kitchen, giving a disappointed look. As Gina finished cutting the last apple, Mimi took the plate to the dining table but Ailee asks her to move it to the living room table.

"What kind of relationship are they in that he'd have to tell her what he's doing?" Ailee whispers to Gina once Mimi was out of ear shot.

"Ailee, enough. They're friends! We usually ask Hyungsik his plans once in a while too."

Gina washes her hands and. Walks to the living room with Ailee following behind. They each take a seat on the couch.

"You seem to be getting closer to Hyungsik, Mimi," starts Ailee. "What do you think about him?

"Yes, thanks to you Ailee! I heard from Hyungsik that you were the one who told him to give me a ride him during those few days. We have really gotten much closer than before."

"That's good," says Ailee. "But what do you think about him?" Ailee repeats.

Mimi sat in thought. "He's a great guy. Thoughtful and considerate. Caring and friendly. Smart and funny. Always looking out for me."

"I agree," Ailee comments with a smile. "Would you ever consider dating him?"

Gina was surprised by Ailee's question. Even Mimi was taken aback by the question. What's been going through her head? Why would she ask Mimi that? Gina wondered why Mimi has been bothering Ailee but nothing reasonable came up other than the possibility that Ailee was actually jealous of Hyungsik's new lady friend.

"Under different circumstances, I probably would," says Mimi.

Before Ailee could ask her what she meant, Mimi looks at Ailee and adds, "Who ever he chooses in the future will be one lucky person."

"So you know?" Gina asks.

"Know what?" Mimi asks back.

"That Hyungsik's gay," says Ailee.

"No. What??" Mimi asks, with a look of astonishment and confusion.