Unmasked

EDITING | Tangled Ball of Red

Gina grabs Hyungsik's face into her hands, preventing their lips from getting any closer. She leans over, looking over to see a shocked Ailee who let out a sigh of relief after seeing Gina's face.

"Phew, I thought he-"

"This is why you should've let me go earlier. You what he's like when he gets drunk."

"I know, and he knows. Sikkie usually watches himself. What's wrong with him today? Is something going on with him?" asks Ailee, to which Gina responds by nodding as she wraps Hyungsik's arm around herself to help Ailee support him up.

"Oh really? One sec," Ailee paused and turned around telling a friend of Dong Woo to tell him that she was leaving. After waving goodbye, she continues the conversation with Gina. "Why hasn't he said anything?"

"He mentioned some family problems and... oh yeah! I asked him about Dr. Lee. There's something going on between them but Hyungsik said its not what I think."

"Not what you think? What's that supposed to mean?" Gina replies with a shrug.

"Huh, that's odd. Do you think he'll talk to us about it if it's bugging him so much? He never really talks about his family, ever since he left home."

"Whenever he's ready or needs someone to talk to, we'll be there."

"Yup!" agrees Ailee.

As they walk out the door, Gina and Ailee decides to bring Hyungsik home with them since none of them have been able to guess the passcode of his apartment. Hyungsik never told him because he wanted to have some fun and make them guess. Upon reaching Hyungsik's car, Ailee held him up crookedly while Gina checks his pockets for the car keys. As she unlocks the back door and opens it, Ailee pulls and pushes Hyungsik into the back seat.

"Need help?" asks Gina.

"No, just need to put on his seatbelt," replies Ailee.

Gina watches and waits for Ailee before taking the wheel. Starting the car, Gina asks Ailee to help check behind the car to see if it was safe to back out.

"Oh! It's that guy!" cries Ailee.

"Who?" asks Gina.

"The guy that kissed you! I recognize his mask. You should go out and I dont know, say hi. They're coming soon!"

"No."

"Why not?"

"There's no point."

"Okay, I know I've been pushing you into seeing new people and I'm sorry, I'll stop-"

"Thank you"

"But aren't you a wee bit curious who kissed you at least? I mean, he chose you out of all the girls in there."

Gina paused to think about it. Yes, she was curious but she wanted to leave things as is. If she knew who he was, they might be involved somehow so it was best to stay as strangers. She looked up in her rearview mirror, watching the group walk past. There, she saw him. The masked guy fooling around, to what seemed like Gina was reenacting the part where he kissed her. Was he making fun of her?

"You know what? I'll go out," says Gina, feeling annoyed. Getting out the car, she heard Ailee squealing excitedly. 

"Excuse me," calls out Gina as she catches up to them, tapping on the masked guy's shoulder.

"Oh? It's you," the guy says surprised. He reaches up to remove the mask but before he takes it off, Gina slaps him across the face.

"That's for kissing me randomly," says Gina. She then turns around and walks away. After a few steps, she stops. Gina felt bad for slapping the stranger and wanted to apologize. No, she thought, he should've respected her. Also, making fun of her wasn't that nice. After the hesitation, she continues walking back to the car and finds Ailee peeking behind the car beside them.

"That's my girl! Though I wished you waited till he took his mask off. I, myself, wonders what he looks like," says Ailee, looking a bit disappointed.

"Is that important right now?" 

"No, but I'm still curious."

 

At home, Gina and Ailee carries Hyungsik into Ailee's room since it was closest to the door. They decided that the couch would be uncomfortable for their best friend so tonight, Ailee and Gina would sleep in Gina's room together. Gina leaves to go back downstairs to get Hyungsik's emergency clothes in the trunk of his car. While Gina was gone, Ailee tries to take off Hyungsik's jacket by pulling him up.

"Why are you super heavy today? Who is it that got you in this state?" complains Ailee. After getting getting his jacket off, she begins to unbotton his shirt. Halfway down, she hears Hyungsik mumbling something under his breath.

"Oh? You!" says Hyungsik drunkenly, pointing at Ailee, his eyes half open.

"What?" asks Ailee. Then Hyungsik begins mumbling again so she leans down, her ear at his mouth, trying to listen to what he was saying.

"Lee... you..." Trailing off, Ailee raises her head and turns to look at Hyungsik. 

"Lee? Dr. Lee?" questions Ailee.

"Is what Gina said true?" she asks herself, feeling bad for Hyungsik. Suddenly Hyungsik's hand caresses Ailee's cheek. Thinking he had more to say, Ailee begins lowering her head but halfway, Hyungsik pulls his head forward and kisses Ailee. Stunned, Ailee pushes him down, slamming him on the bed causing him to pass out. 

"Ya! You!" shouts Ailee, unable to think of what to say next. She hits his mouth a few times and just in time, Gina returns with Hyungsik's bag of clothes. 

"Did he-"

"No! I- I pushed him back before he could," Ailee lies, and then goes back to ing the rest of Hyungsik's shirt.

"Haha that's good. Here, let me help."

Together, they changed Hyungsik's top and wipes his face of any grease. They know that Hyungsik likes a clean face before going to sleep.

~ - ~

Sunday

"Hyungsik!! Time to get uppp!" yells Ailee, trying to walk Hyungsik up. It was Sunday morning. Ailee had to open the shop and she wasn't going without Hyungsik.

"Ughhh, let me sleep!" Hyungsik cries out, pulling his pillow from under him and covering his head with it.

"No! Your fault for drinking too much. You're coming to work with me!"

"What time is it?" Hyungsik asks calmly after a minute of silence.

"9," replies Ailee.

"What?! The shop opens at 11! Why'd you wake me up so early?" whines Hyungsik as he removes the pillow to the side.

"Wait," Hyungsik scans the room, taking him a minute to realize where he was. Then he looks at Ailee, who was looking at him questioningly. 

"Were we..."

"No, I slept in Gina's room." After Hyungsik sighs with a relief, she adds "And I just wanted to make sure you were able to get up for work today. You can sleep for another hour."

Ailee gets up to leave and Hyungsik uses that hour to get some more sleep.

 

"Smells soooo good! You should let me move in," Hyungsik suggests. "I'm fine with the couch."

"You already have the key so why not?" says Ailee.

"I'm just kidding. I like my bed better. But living with you guys can make things easier."

"Because you're pretty much here everyday," Gina adds.

"Like I said, you already have the key."

"About that..." Hyungsik takes a glance at Gina, hesitating. When she gave him a look saying 'go on,' he explains that he gave lent Yong Guk the key so that he could prepare the proposal for Gina. Since that day, the key hasn't been returned.

"How odd! How is that you were so drunk last night but you don't vomit or wake up with a hangover??" Ailee changes the topic after the awkward silence at the mention of Yong Guk.

"Was I that drunk? Did I..." In response to Hyungsik's question, Ailee and Gina looks at each other slyly.

"Oh no, I did, didn't I?"

"Maybe. I find it weird that you're gay but you go and kiss girls when you're drunk. I don't get it," explains Ailee.

"I-" Hyungsik shrugs his shoulders. "Good thing I only kiss pretty girls? You guys don't have to worry."

"Ya!" shouts Gina and Ailee at the same time.

"Well, I guess you think I'm pretty then," states Gina.

"Yeah, compared to ugly Ailee." Understanding what Gina meant, his face froze.

"Wait, did I kiss you?! Oh my god, I am so, so sorry! Gina I didn't-"

"Gotcha!" Ailee cries.

"Huh?" asks Hyungsik confused.

Laughing, Ailee explains that Gina stopped him before anything could have happened. Ailee also wanted to ask him about Dr. Lee but changed her mind. Hyungsik would talk about it when he wanted too. She also shook the thought of the kiss away.

~ - ~

Friday

Another week of school went by, and it was like any other school week. School has kept her occupied, allowing her to forget about Yong Guk's wedding, which was next weekend. However, everyday afterschool, she would think of Doo Joon. He still hasn't shown up since the first day, and she still wanted to explain herself. Introduce herself properly has Miss. Choi. She still felt strange that he doesn't know her as her, Gina Choi.

Gina sat on the bench outside, watching Sang Woo play by himself with his soccer ball. No one has came to pick him up so Gina was waiting outside with him. Just then, Gina got a phone call.

"Hello? Mom! Yes, I'll be leaving soon. Who? Okay, I'll drop by and grab one on the way. Okay, see you later mom. Byee." As Gina hung up the phone from her mom, she was surprised when someone greeted her from behind.

"Hello again."

Gina turns around to find Doo Joon making his way around the bench.

"Oh! Hi!"

At that second, Sang Woo runs into Doo Joon's arms. Doo Joon gave him a few kisses and asks Sang Woo if he missed him. Sang Woo replies with a yes and wraps him arms around Doo Joon's neck, to which Doo Joon stands back up carrying Sang Woo. Gina watched them, thinking of how sweet they were.

"Sorry about that. Haven't seen this little one in two weeks."

"Oh, no worries at all! That's understandable." Gina looks down at her watch, noticing the time.

"I'm sorry, I have to go now!" They bid their farewells, and Gina turns and walks toward the school to the teachers' parking lot.

"Hey!" Doo Joon calls out, running up to her.

"Yes?" Gina asks him.

"Shouldn't you be walking that way?" he asks, pointing behind him at the parents'/public parking lot, in the opposite direction of where the teachers' parking lot was.

"Ah, right. I wanted to tell you, tell you that I'm Gina."

"Yes, I know. You told me last time."

"Yes, but- to be honest, I'm Miss. Choi. I- I don't know why I didn't say anything last time. I'm sorry. I wanted to explain and clear it up for you but-" Gina starts to confess but was interrupted by Doo Joon.

"You don't have to apologize. I suppose I understand why you did it that time. It's good to know that now," he says with a smile.

"I- Thanks for understanding. Well, have a great weekend!" then she turns to Sang Woo, "and see you Monday Sang Woo."

 

Gina drops by Ailee's shop, now a cafe, to pick up a cake. Business has been going great since they added drinks to their menu. She quickly explains that her mom has called her because an old friend of hers from America came to vist and that she needed to be there.

"She didn't tell me who and I don't know who it could be also. It's been years, and it can be anyone. I'll come pick you up after work."

"Alrighty. If you can't make it, there's Hyungsik."

"Who says?" Hyungsik says, coming out from the storage room carrying cups.

"Okay, I'll call you," says Gina, as she leaves the cafe.

 

Gina rings the doorbell when she arrived to her mom's house. She hears her mom scream "coming!" from behind the door so she waits. 

"Hey, pretty lady," says someone in a deep voice behind her. Gina turns around and finds the masked guy from the club. The guy that kissed her. The guy that she slapped. Standing in front of her, on the front porch of her mother's home.

"Wha- what are you doing here? How? Are you... Have you been following me??"

Before she can hear his explanation, her mom opened the door.

"Ah, great! You're both here!"

"What?" Gina asks in confusion. "You know him?"

"You don't remember him?"

"Not with that mask on. I can't even see his face," states Gina, still a bit confused. 

"Right, I asked him about that but he said he had a reason to have it on. To surprise you?" She sees the guy nod in the corner of her eye.

"Surprise, I am. Who are you?" Gina asks the guy. He hands her mom the grocery bag and removes the mask, then does a 'Ta Dah' gesture.

"Jay?!" gasps Gina.