Chapter 24

EDITING | Tangled Ball of Red

When the movie started, Gina had realized that Yong Guk had chosen a romantic comedy, a genre that he wasn't too fond of. Her mind was too distracted to notice and later asked Yong Guk why he chose the movie.

He leaned in and whispered, "It's been a tough week for you. Thought we should watch something to lighten the mood."

"Thank you," Gina whispered. Yong Guk smiled as she looped her arm in his, intertwining their hands, and rested her head on his shoulders.

As they watched the movie, Gina couldn't fully focus and it didn't help that the main character played soccer. Her hand was itching to check her phone but she didn't want to seem distracted. She wanted to be in the moment, being with Yong Guk and enjoying the movie. About halfway through, Gina could tell Yong Guk was losing focus. He kept stealing glances at her and her arm. Every few scenes when it went dark, Yong Guk would lean in and slowly kiss Gina's neck, leaving her breathless. Eventually, she returned those kisses and they both stopped watching the movie altogether. 

"Be honest," Gina asked in the car ride home. "Why did you choose that movie?"

Yong Guk gave her a sly smirk. "It's romantic... and got you into the mood." He took his right hand and grabbed hers. 

"What am I going to do with you?" Gina sighed then smiled to herself. She felt happy. Their movie night felt like the old days early in their relationship, making those butterflies in her stomach return.

"Anything you want later," Yong Guk said with a laugh as Gina playfully punched him. Yong Guk drove past a soccer field, instantly wiping the smile off Gina's face when she was reminded of Doo Joon. She began to regret sending the text and felt guilty of thinking about Doo Joon when she was with Yong Guk. A ding notifying an incoming text on her phone interrupted her thoughts, causing her to freeze up.

"Aren't you going to check that?" Yong Guk asked.

Gina hesitated for a minute before pulling out her phone. She let out a breath of relief when it was from Ailee, asking if Gina was coming home tonight. Gina knew she needed to focus more on her relationship with Yong Guk and spend the remaining time of his vacation to the fullest before he returned to his busy life. To fix what was broken. She told Ailee that she'd be spending the night at Yong Guk's and directed a smile to him. 

Gina looked down at her phone after hanging up the call, scrolling through her messages to make sure she didn't miss any texts. Disappointed, she silenced her phone and slipped in her a jacket pocket. When she glanced up at the road, the sea of red was back and she began to wonder what it is her heart was telling her. 

Yong Guk couldn't wait to get inside his suite, fumbling with the lock. Once in, Yong Guk wrapped his arms around Gina's waist, pulling her toward him, then against the door.

"I think we should continue where we left off last time," Gina suggested, pulling down the zipper of Yong Guk's jacket.

"Glad you think so." Yong Guk unfastened Gina's jacket, leaning in for a deep, slow kiss. As his lips trailed down to her neck, he picked her up and carried her toward the bedroom. He laid her down on the bed as they both took off their jackets and gradually their clothes.

It was night time when Gina woke up. Yong Guk was next to her, deep in his sleep with his arm on top of her. Gina reached her hand out toward the floor, searching for her jacket. Luckily, it was the first thing she found and grabbed her phone. It was a little past midnight and still no messages. Gina sighed and locked her phone. She buried her face into her pillow, thinking about her feelings. It just didn't make sense and she got more confused as she thought about it. Gina slowly turned around and watched Yong Guk sleeping in the dark, the only light coming from the moon. She unconsciously raised her hand toward his face, her index finger tracing the structure of Yong Guk's face: his eyes, nose, and lips.

She loved this man. The man that she was going to marry. Gina was confused momentarily and knew that she just needed time to clear her mind. Yong Guk stirred in his sleep and Gina smiled to herself, leaning in to give him a kiss. Gina gently pulled Yong Guk's arm up as she rolled off the bed. She walked toward the closet to grab the silk camisole Yong Guk had gifted her for their second anniversary and pulled it on, took and phone and quietly left the room. It was when she exited the room did she realize how hungry she was since they didn't have dinner.

Gina rummaged through the fridge for food and found some leftovers to make herself a bowl of bibimbap. After she finished mixing the ingredients, she moved a chair to sit next to the balcony door. The nightlife of the city was a beautiful sight to see, especially wth the Christmas decor and lights that were up, brightening up the night. Gina started to think about the Christmas concert and was excited for the holidays.

She started to notice the snow trickling down from the sky and decided to warm herself up with a cup of tea. While waiting for the water to boil, Gina went to grab the extra blanket that was kept in Yong Guk's study room. She steeped her tea and settled on the couch bundled up in the blanket, watching the snow that was now falling heavily.

Gina's mind immediately went to Doo Joon, thinking about the text she sent him. She was regretting it, afraid that her message might've made their friendship awkward. Well, what was left of it. Why did I do that? she thought. I didn't even say what I wanted to say. She had wanted to clarify the situation that it was her fault as a professional, but she didn't follow up the greeting with her explanation. Maybe that's why he didn't reply. He already drew that line, making the boundaries clear. 

Gina picked up her phone, opening up her conversation with Doo Joon. Suddenly the three dots popped up and she held her breath. Doo Joon was writing a message, at that moment. Gina waited, watching as the dots appeared and disappeared. Eventually, it stopped. She was a bit disappointed but started typing out her message. She told Doo Joon that it wasn't his fault because as a teacher, she should not have stepped over the line between professional and personal. She knew she started it, involving him into her personal affairs, appreciated for his help and apologized for making him feel uncomfortable. She wondered whether they can remain good friends after Sang Woo leaves her classroom the next year and hoped Doo Joon and Sung Hwa would come visit her because they have become great friends she cherished. She ended the message by wishing him a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year because she heard that he was out of town and wouldn't be able to wish him in person. She sighed and dropped her phone onto the couch. Hugging her knees to her chest, Gina met her forehead to her knees. She closed her eyes and thought, it's the end, you did it. Gina gave her phone one last look before returning to the bedroom.

 

Gina woke up from the sunlight shining through the window. Gina turned over, facing Yong Guk, who wrapped his arms around her and pulled himself closer to her. She opened her eyes and stared at him, feeling joy run through her body. How would it b to wake up next to Yong Guk every morning?

"I know I'm handsome," Yong Guk smirked, his eyes still closed. "You can stop staring."

Gina giggled and leaned up to give Yong Guk a kiss. He opened his eyes, gave Gina a peck on the forehead and pulled her closer to him. "How great would it be to wake up with you next to me every day, for the rest of my life?"

Gina's heart pounded, wondering if this was a proposal. It sounded like a proposal but she wasn't quite ready. Her silence got Yong Guk to loosen his embrace, pulling away so that they came face to face. Gina gave him a smile and he seemed to understand. He pulled her on top of him and she propped herself up above him on her hands.

"I didn't mean for that to sound how it did. I know you need more time and of course, I don't want to rush you. I love you, Gina. I just... I want you to know I feel very happy right now," Yong Guk explained. "If only time could stop, right at this moment."

Gina smiled and took Yong Guk's face into her hands, bringing her lips to his. Hearing his words, Gina felt the same way. This was what happiness with Yong Guk felt like right? Why was she so hesitant in telling Yong Guk she loved him as well? She let herself get lost in Yong Guk's embrace as he pulled her closer to him but her ringing phone interrupted their moment.

At the end of the call, Gina sat up, explaining to Yong Guk that Ailee needed some help at the cafe. Hyungsik didn't show up and she couldn't get a hold of him. Ailee had hired a new worker to work the till but even with new help, she still needed some extra hands to get orders completed before the orders for the holidays started.

Yong Guk frowned. "You don't have to leave right now, do you? It's still early."

Gina checked the time and Yong Guk was wrong. It was almost 10 AM. Gina was about to move off Yong Guk but he held her legs down along his sides, she laughed, emphasizing that Ailee needed her help.

"Just five more minutes. I don't want this moment to end but I'm just asking for five," pleaded Yong Guk with a pout.

"Just five," Gina said, lowering down for a kiss. "Then I'll go make you breakfast while you wash up. You must be starving. You didn't eat anything last night."

"Huh, you're right, I'm actually starving." Yong Guk said against her lips. "But food can wait." 

Yong Guk rolled her over so that he was now on top of her and for the next fifteen minutes, Gina was lost in Yong Guk's kisses.

 

"Thank you so much for coming, Gina. Sorry, I know you wanted to spend as much time as you can with Yong Guk but-"

"Ailee! I'm happy to help. You don't need to apologize." Gina hung up her coat and bag, walking over to Ailee. Ailee looked exhausted and stressed, with flour streaked across her face.

"Did you sleep, Ailee?"

Ailee shook her head. "I was having trouble sleeping. I'm... I'm worried about Hyungsik."

Gina gave Ailee a hug. "I know, I know. He just needs time but he'll be okay. He'll come to talk to us when he's ready. Do you want to talk tonight? Let's talk."

"No, you should spend your time with Yong Guk. Don't worry about me."

"Nonsense. He may be busy but we'll still find time to see each other. I can spare some time for my best friend. Plus, it's good to talk."

Ailee sighed with relief and hugged Gina back. "Thank you, Gina."

"Okay, so how can I help?"

Ailee walked over to her bulletin board and pointed at a piece of paper. "So I have two cakes that have to be ready for pickup by 5 PM. If you can prepare the fondant and do the cut outs for me that would be great. The cutters you will find in that drawer. I also put numbers so you know how many to cut of each."

Gina gave her an okay. "Maybe in 10 minutes you can start with the fondant. I just need to spread the buttercream on this cake and then we can add the fondant."

They got to work. Gina loved helping Ailee out in the kitchen because it made her feel like she was baking. Only if she was able to bake edible goods. Once in awhile, Ailee would poke her head out to look at her busy cafe to greet the regulars. 

At around 4 PM, Ailee and Gina finished the cakes, both placed inside the fridge ready, just waiting for pick up. Ailee walked out of the kitchen to dismiss her new worker, Dong Min, but asked him to stick around for a few minutes and called Gina out to the counter to join them while the cafe was calm. Ailee presented them with a square cut into four even pieces.

"White chocolate brownies! The other day I thought, hey, why don't I have white chocolate brownies yet? So last night I was testing them out and viola! Let me know what you think! Be honest."

Mimi took a bite and let out a . "This is delicious! Served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream would just be perfect."

Gina laughed and nodded in agreement. "This is amazing Ailee!" She looked over at Dong Min for his reaction. 

"Seconds, please!" Dong Min said with a huge smile on his face. 

Ailee giggled and went back into the kitchen to carry out a tray. In her other hand, she was holding a container of vanilla ice cream. She handed Dong Min a big chunk of brownie and a scoop of ice cream to complement.

"Best. Boss. Ever!" He exclaimed, earning laughter from everyone. "The ice cream really makes it better."

Mimi made her plate look beautiful. She grabbed the bottle of chocolate sauce and drizzled some on top of her brownie and ice cream. She then went to her bag and pulled out her camera to take a picture of the dish. Dong Min peered over her shoulder and as Mimi scanned through the photos, he looked at them in awe. 

"Those are beautiful shots. Do you own a food blog?" Dong Min asked. At this moment, it clicked in Gina's mind that Dong Min was the regular customer that Mimi crushed on. 

Mimi blushed as she looked up to Dong Min, her body shrinking in embarrassment because he was so close. "Kind of a food blog. I've been posting up photos of different pastries of Ailee's cake shop online." Mimi turned to Ailee. "It's been garnering some attention, people saying they want to come to this place. Hope you don't mind Ailee. I should've asked for your permission beforehand."

Ailee smiled. "Mimi, that's incredible. I should be thanking you!"

"I've also been meaning to ask you if you wanted to get a website started since this place has been garnering some popularity locally."

"Sounds good, I trust your eye in taking wonderful pictures. Of course, if it becomes too much of a hassle, you don't have to."

Dong Min helped himself to a third serving before bidding farewell to everyone. At around 5, both customers came to pick up their cakes and the cafe began to get busy again. Gina helped Mimi at the store front while Ailee was in the kitchen.

"So, Dong Min. He's the guy you are interested in right?"

Gina watched as Mimi's face turned red, nodding. "He's cool after getting to know him now, but I also realize we don't have much in common. I'm not sure how I feel."

"That's not always a bad thing. It might open up some new adventures. You may find something and end up liking it."

Mimi shrugged. "We'll see. If anything, he's still a good friend. So how's the book going?"

"Ah, I haven't had the chance to read after what's being going on this week but it was getting crazy! One minute I think, okay, it has to be John but then the next thing I read, it had to be Jae Hyuk. They're brothers, raised apart but who knows really. What if it's Se Young?"

Mimi laughed. "Just wait until the end!"

"I might read it tonight! Now I'm curious all over again."


Before heading home, Ailee bought some beers from the convenience store across the cafe. On their way home, Gina passed Doo Joon's apartment complex and wondered what he was doing back in his hometown. She wished he had sent her a reply, just to know everything was okay between them. Maybe it wasn't, not anymore. Gina let out a big sigh.

"What's wrong?" Ailee asked. 

"I can't stop thinking about Doo Joon," Gina admitted. "He just... keeps appearing."

Ailee's eyes widened. "That's... no good."

"I need to call Yong Guk," Gina said, pulling out her phone.

"Whoa, whoa, Gina. Wait. Are you going to tell Yong Guk about Doo Joon?"

"No. I'm going to tell him I'll be spending the night at home. I forgot to tell him earlier. It's going to be a long night."

 

The ladies each washed up and then made themselves comfortable in Ailee's bedroom.

"Okay," Ailee started. "I'm worried about Hyungsik. I know he needs time, mourning and grieving because of the death of his grandma but I can't stop thinking about him. Wondering whether he has eaten, or even got out of bed. He's not replying to my texts or calls. I miss him."

Gina got out her phone and took a photo of the both of them. "I'm going to send this to Hyungsik so that he knows we miss him. That we're here."

"I hope he at least replies." Ailee laid down, staring at the ceiling. "With all the emotions I'm feeling for him, it confuses me. I want to see his face, in person. A photo doesn't suffice. I miss his smile, the way his eyes sparkle. I want to hear his voice, especially his laugh. I miss Sikkie."

Gina reached over to give Ailee a hug. They laid in silence. "So what about you?" Ailee asked.

"Well, I can't stop thinking about Doo Joon." Gina went on to tell Ailee about the night she babysat for Doo Joon. She started with when she saw Sung Hwa at the hotel with Jin and that night, Doo Joon seemed down and stressed, having gotten into an argument with his mother. It seemed like he needed a friend so he hugged her but then freaked out and left.

"I was so confused and the next day, it seemed like he was avoiding me. He'd come pick Sang Woo up and they'd immediately leave. Then last Friday, Sung Hwa came to pick Sang Woo up, explaining Doo Joon went back to his hometown early for the holidays."

"Maybe he went to patch things up with his mother," Ailee suggested. "And he made it pretty awkward between you guys."

"Possibly. Well yesterday when I went back to the classroom after school, I noticed a letter. It was from Doo Joon so it must've fallen out of Sang Woo's agenda." Gina went to her room to grab the letter to show Ailee.

"I feel so guilty that he feels that way," Gina explained while Ailee was reading. "I mean, it's completely my fault and having to make him feel that way... it makes me feel horrible. I'm the one that crossed the line."

"You should tell him that. When he comes back or maybe write back to him."

"About that... when I went to the theater with Yong Guk yesterday, I couldn't help it and sent Doo Joon a text. Honestly, during the beginning of the movie, I couldn't stop wondering whether or not he replied and when he didn't, I was disappointed. It's so wrong Ailee. Being with Yong Guk but thinking about Doo Joon, a married man. I woke up in the middle of the night and texted him a long apology."

"It's hard to control your feelings sometimes but what you and Yong Guk have is special. How do you feel about him?" Ailee asked.

"Yesterday, it was wonderful being with Yong Guk. It felt like the old days, getting those butterflies in my stomach again. Waking up with him next to me this morning felt like happiness. At one point he said that and how he loved me, yet... Ailee, I hesitated and didn't say it back. I thought he was proposing. I do love him."

"It's okay, you just panicked."

Gina shook her head. "There's another thing. Every time it snows, I think about Doo Joon. You remember the day of Yong Guk's wedding? It snowed. It snowed right after I left the hall, and I had asked for a sign on what to do. When I opened my eyes, Doo Joon was there, ready to take me home."

Gina sighed and this time stared up at the ceiling. "What is wrong with me? Am I overthinking this?"

"I actually don't know. What is wrong with the both of us?"

"The heart just does what it wants. Maybe it's good that Doo Joon is away. It gives me time to organize and figure out my feelings. It's just a momentary confusion."

"I just have to wait for Sikkie to feel better. Glad you're home tonight, though. Last night I couldn't sleep so I started baking. The result, those brownies."

They laughed together and started to talk about their week, catching up until they both fell asleep.

 

The holidays have come. It was finally the night of the Christmas concert before winter break began. The parents were socializing with each other in the classroom, helping themselves to Ailee's treats while Gina tried to get things organized as well as talk to parents. The only student missing was Sang Woo. Gina sent Sung Hwa a quick text. She immediately received a reply saying they'll be there in five. Mrs. Jung, the secretary, poked her head into the classroom to notify Gina that it was a good time to start heading down to the gymnasium. Ailee helped lead the parents and kids down to the gym as Gina tidied up and locked the door behind her. She checked her phone and quickly texted Sung Hwa to give her a call because the class was now heading down to the gymnasium.

Gina felt her phone vibrate when she got to the end of the staircase and answered it. "Hey, I'm near the office. Where are-"

"Happy Holidays, Gina!" greeted the person on the phone. It was not Sung Hwa.

"Jay? Hey! How are you doing?" Gina asked. 

"Great. I'm back in Seoul for a few weeks and was wondering if you were free. Just to catch up and all that stuff."

"Yeah for sure, I'll-"

Gina paused. Just down the hall in front of the office, Sang Woo ran in from the front entrance. Sung Hwa followed with her phone in her ear. At that moment, Gina heard her phone beep for a call waiting. She raised her hand to wave and get Sung Hwa's attention.

"Hey Jay, sorry I'll call you back. There's a school Christmas concert and it's almost-"

Gina stopped again. Sung Hwa spotted Gina and walked toward her but then Doo Joon ran in, chasing after Sang Woo. 

A flash of red.

"Starting?"

"Hmm? Oh yes. Sorry about that. Call you later?" 

"Talk to you later. Bye, Gina." Jay hung up and Gina composed herself. 

"Hey, Gina! I mean, Miss. Choi." Sung Hwa winked. "Sorry, we're late. Where's the gym?"

"Hey, don't worry. You're not too late. Just down that hall." Gina pointed towards the gym where parents were still filing inside. As Sung Hwa and Gina walked down the hall, Doo Joon had picked Sang Woo up into his arms, who then called for his mom. When Sung Hwa reached Sang Woo, Doo Joon let him down and she grabbed Sang Woo's hand. 

Red. All red.

"We have to hurry. Sang Woo, lead the way." Sang Woo excitedly pulled Sung Hwa toward the gym, following the crowd. 

Doo Joon finally looked up and his eyes met with Gina. She gave him a nervous smile and he gave her one in return. The smile that she didn't realize she missed. She looked away and headed toward the gym, Doo Joon following her in silence. 

She was in a sea of red, possibly lost.