Confusion

EDITING | Tangled Ball of Red

"Hey! Gina?" Yong Guk's voice rang through the phone, sounding brighter than Gina had expected to hear.

"Yeah, it's me," Gina replied. "How are you doing?"

"Great! How about you? What's up?" Yong Guk asked, a little too cheerful that it hurt Gina a little inside. He sounded happy, very happy. She began to feel that it was a mistake to call him. Of course, he had moved on. What is she still doing?

"I- um, I'm doing fine. I just wanted to, well Hyungsik told me about your wedding, how I should-"

"Want to go out for dinner?" interrupted Yong Guk, in a quiet, longing voice. There was a long silence before Gina replied.

"Yeah, that would be great." She can hear him take an excited breath before she continued, "How about you bring Hye Ri along? I... since I won't be at your wedding, I want to congratulate you two in person over dinner." The silence was back. 

"Yong Guk?" Gina called out.

"Hmm?" replied Yong Guk.

"I want to meet the girl you're marrying," Gina started saying quietly. "I need clo-"

"Hang on G. I need to get the door," interrupted Yong Guk when his door buzzer went off.

"Hey... I'll call you back later," Yong Guk said as quickly as he hung up.

Gina let out a long sigh and flopped down onto her bed. After seeing the box gone once she got home, Gina had felt empty and somewhat lost. Since most of what Yong Guk had given her was gone, she decided to take Doo Joon's advice to see the couple together to get the closure she needed. She was glad Yong Guk had sounded better, but at the same time it hurt. Gina was feeling confused again, a mess. Yong Guk has been on her mind all day and not once has she thought of Jay until now.

She takes out her phone and sends him a short text to cheer him on for working hard on their next big event. Gina ended the message with a 'I miss you' and throws her phone to the other end of her bed. Within seconds, her phone beeps, notifying the message was from Jay. He told her he missed her as well and hoped they would see each other soon. He attached a picture that was meant to be funny but Gina noted the tired look in his eyes. Gina sent back a smiling picture in hopes to brighten his day. Gina places the phone in the drawer of a night stand. She needed to think; think hard about what she needed to do to move on and have her heart fully devoted to Jay.

 

On Friday, Gina sat on the bench as usual to wait for Doo Joon. Oddly, he was late, the last person to come and pick up their child. When he finally arrived, he apologized repeatedly and was about to leave immediately when Gina called him back.

"There's something I would like to talk to you about," Gina requested. "It's about Sang Woo."

At the sound of Sang Woo's name, Doo Joon's face became serious and he sat down. 

"What's wrong?" Doo Joon asked worriedly. 

"Nothing big. It's just... in class, I've started this thing where I reward the kids with Popsicle sticks and at the end of the week, they can exchange them for some prize. Sang Woo however, asked me... to be his mom for some event?" Gina questioned as she unrolled a piece of paper, a flyer to bring your parents to a soccer game.

At first, there was no response from Doo Joon. He just had a grin on his face and when he realized Gina was waiting for a reaction, he snapped out of it.

"I'm so sorry about this, I'll talk to him. Don't worry about it," says Doo Joon. Looking at Gina's confused and worried face, Doo Joon tried to explain. "His mom is out of town and this isn't the first time she couldn't make it to one of these events. I didn't want him to be disappointed so I always hand these flyers to everyone but him. Last event, he noticed everyone's mother was there, cheering their sons on with their husbands and he was upset the rest of the day. She promised she'd go this weekend, but I highly doubt that she'd make it. I don't know where he got a hold of this but don't worry about it."

Doo Joon quickly grabbed the flyer and shoved it in his pocket as Sang Woo approached them and ran into Doo Joon. He pulled Sang Woo as he stood up to carry him and began to say goodbye to Gina.

"You know, I can go to this event, if it's okay with you," said Gina. "If it's okay with Sang Woo's mother."

"Of course," replied Doo Joon with a huge smirk on his face. "But what about your boyfriend?"

"Jay? He's been busy. I really need to get out, something to take my mind off Yong Guk as well."

"Ah, Yong Guk. Any progress?" Doo Joon asked, now frowning.

"Somewhat. I finally called him. He asked me to dinner so I agreed... but asked him to bring Hye Ri along."

"That's good." There was an awkward silence between them.

"I'll let you go. Thanks Doo Joon." Gina reached out and pulled out the flyer from his pocket, waving it in front of the boys.

"I'll be sure come... on Sunday! I promise." With that being said, Sang Woo was smiling happily.

"You don't have to. If you can't make it, it's fine."

"Well it's too late," Gina said as she gave Sang Woo a high five. "I just promised him and can't take it back."

They both exchanged smiles and then went their separate ways.

 

On her way, Gina made a turn and decided to drop by the cafe. She needed some time with her friends, to see and talk to them. Even though it was just two days ago that she saw them, it felt like she hadn't seen them for weeks.

Gina opened the door of the cafe, finding it a little empty. Three tables were occupied, one of which was taken by Ailee. Ailee gave Gina a welcoming smile and motioned her to take a seat.

"You have no idea how great it is to see you," Ailee sighed with relief. "We need to talk. I've been doing a lot of thinking and I need to let it out."

"Same with me actually," Gina added. "I also wanted to see you guys.

Gina turned and met eyes with Mimi, who gave her a weak smile and resumed wiping the empty display cases. To her left, Hyungsik was sitting with his head down on the counter beside the register.

"He's been down. Really down," Ailee says quietly, emphasizing on the really. She then leans in to whisper to Gina. "I'm going to go crazy Gina! It's been so gloomy these days. Hyungsik is one thing but even Mimi has lost her brightness. It's not like her. Something must've happened in her family but I'm afraid to ask. I'm not sure if she'd want to talk about it. With me anyway."

"Just show or let her know that you're willing to listen if she needs someone to talk to."

Ailee shrugged. "I don't know, I'll think about it. We're not actually all that close, but she doesn't seem to have any friends."

Ailee paused and sighed, glancing up at Mimi pitifully. "So what'd you want to tell me?"

"You know how yesterday I told you that I finally decided to throw out all things related to Yong Guk?"

"Mhmm, and I was really proud of you," Ailee said happily. "So what's wrong?"

"Well after school, I vented out to Doo Joon about Yong Guk because he was in my head all day. Doo Joon believed that I need closure and thinks that the reason I can't let go was because I don't want Yong Guk to be unhappy. I considered it, because he might be right. At the same time, I didn't want to let go of Yong Guk just yet so I ran home after the conversation to retrieve the box-"

"Oh Gina, you started off so well. Don't tell me that box is in your room," interrupted Ailee, sounding disappointed. Gina shook her head side to side sadly.

"It was gone by the time I got home. I was crushed Ailee, I felt empty. I ended up calling him. He asked me to dinner and I agreed-"

"What?! Are you crazy Gina? He is-"

"I know, getting married. I did what Doo Joon suggested and asked Hye Ri to come along. Maybe seeing them happy will allow me to let Yong Guk go once and for all."

"So when is this dinner?" Ailee asked.

"I'm not even sure. We were interrupted when someone rang the doorbell. It was probably Hye Ri."

"Why would she ring the doorbell? Shouldn't she have the key?" Ailee asked, Gina replying with a shrug of her shoulders.

"So Jay, does he know about this?"

"No. Ailee, I'm so confused, so lost. I feel so guilty that I haven't really been thinking about him. It's like, I'm emotionally and mentally cheating on Jay." Gina groaned as she buried her face into her hands.

"I think that if, after having this dinner with Yong Guk and I still can't move on, I'll have to let both guys go. Obviously my heart is in the wrong place and I can't lead Jay on but... I do..." Gina trailed off, looking hesitant.

"Do you love Jay Gina?" Ailee asked, curious but serious.

"I don't know. He means a lot to me and he makes me happy... maybe I should move, go to another country and start anew."

"What about us?" mumbled a voice from behind Gina. She turned back to see Hyungsik, seating himself next to her.

"Hyungsik..." Ailee squeaked, astonished.

Gina turned her body to face Hyungsik and gave him a sudden hug. He was stiff at first but relaxed and returned the hug.

"How are you?" Gina asked Hyungsik.

"Better. Sorry I've been so... not myself. I've been doing a lot of thinking."

"We all have been," Ailee added. Hyungsik faced her and they made eye contact.

"Hey you," Hyungsik said, causing Ailee to smile with relief. "Back to your story Gina, don't tell me you would leave Ailee and I because of some guy."

"Correction: guys. How much did you hear?" Ailee asked.

"Um, the whole story. I woke up after your 'what'." Ailee gave him a nervous laugh, mouthing an apology.

"I think you should call Yong Guk later Gina, ask him about the dinner. The sooner, the better. You need to make a decision for yourself, Yong Guk and Jay."

"You're right," agreed Gina. "I'll do that tonight-"

"Mimi Lee!" yelled someone at the entrance. Everyone turned to look at the girl, making her way inside. "You rich bit**. You've been back but didn't even give me a call. I had to find out from-"

""Nana!" Mimi was flustered and ran around the counter to give her friend a hug near the door. 

"Hey, is that aw-" started Nana, who met eyes with Hyungsik but was interrupted as Mimi pulled her out the door after gaining permission from Ailee.

"For one second, I thought she was someone going after Mimi. That foul mouth! They're friends?" Ailee asked as she watched the two outside from the window. Nana was saying something as Mimi was fumbling to get her phone from her pocket.

"Best friends," Hyungsik stated. "Never been a fan of the way she talks."

"You know her?" Gina asked Hyungsik, who began to turn red.

"Met her a few times. Don't like the way she talks either, she's nice I guess but-"

At that time, Mimi rushed in calling for Hyungsik with her phone in hand.

"Hyungsik, is your phone off? The hospital called, your grandma, she woke up!" Mimi shouted. Immediately, Hyungsik stood up and was about to book it but looked at Ailee.

"What are you doing? Go!" instructed Ailee. As Hyungsik ran out the door, Ailee followed Mimi's eyes who was watching Hyungsik leave until he was out of view from the shop. Mimi checked her phone one last time, looking jittery and made her way around behind the counter.

"Mimi, are you just going to leave your friend out there?" Gina asked.

"Oh right! Sorry Ailee, I'll be real quick," apologized Mimi. Before she made her way back around the counter, Ailee stopped her.

"Mimi, have the rest of the day off."

"I'm not getting fired, am I? Ailee, please give me one more-"

"No, no Mimi don't worry. I think you should spend some time with your friend. Obviously you guys haven't seen each other for a long time so, catch up. Plus, look around Mimi. It's not that busy, I can manage."

"I'm here too," Gina added. "I can stay and help Ailee for the next few hours. Don't worry."

Mimi looked at her phone, unsure of what to do. She looked out to Nana, then Ailee and Gina. She thanks Ailee and said she's willing to work any extra hours that Ailee would need. She gathers her bag and leaves, walking away with Nana.

When Ailee and Gina were the only two left in the shop, Ailee gave Gina a look that was all too familiar.

"Ailee, don't even-"

"But Gina! Why did Mimi get the call from the hospital for Hyungsik? Hyungsik even met that Nana girl before. Even we didn't even know Mimi had friends and yet here was Hyungsik, meeting one of them. I'm so confused," Ailee explained.

"Ailee, we haven't really done anything with the both of them. They have bonded, become good friends. Who knows what they do in their spare time? Why are you so bothered by this?"

"Gina, to tell you the truth... like I said, I've been doing a lot of thinking. I'm finally able to admit and accept this about myself... I think I like Hyungsik."

 

Note: I've changed Yong Guk's wedding date, which will take place the next weekend, on Saturday. Other than that, hope you guys enjoyed this chapter!