Seventeen

Fiction and Fact
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After I returned to China, I went into full writing mode. I finally had a meeting with Guo Jingming, who first chewed me out for “slacking off” in Taiwan before praising me on my latest work. It was a weird feeling to have someone so short yelling at me, but I humored him.  

The TV show’s ratings continued to go steadily, but it was all in the background for me as I focused on Between the Lines.

In my last days in Taiwan, Lu Han and I spent a lot of time together. We were comfortable around each other, to the point that not much in our relationship changed compared to before, other than the kissing. 

However it seemed that distance brought out the passionate side of the relationship. Almost as soon as we were separated, Lu Han and I started missing each other like crazy, talking on the phone late into the night. I hadn’t felt this need when I saw Lu Han all the time, but now that were separated by hundreds of miles and a computer screen, things were different. 

“I’ll be back in Beijing in three days,” Lu Han said glumly into the camera, pouting over our video chat. He was freshly showered and clean faced, about to sleep for the night. “My manager is picking me up from the airport, but I’d like to see you as soon as possible.” 

“You can come over after he leaves,” I mumbled into the plushie Lu Han had given me, which I had named *Xiao Lu.  

Lu Han rubbed his eyes, fighting sleep. “Did you tell your parents about us?”

“Kind of,” I replied. “They didn’t really respond positively or negatively, just kind of nodded and changed the subject. I think they want to meet you first.”

Lu Han blanched “What should I say to make them like me? What if they hate me?”

My parents have been a lot more accepting lately. I guess the fact that I lived in Taiwan by myself for these few months and came back healthy and in one piece was solid proof that I was a fully functioning adult. “I think it’ll be okay. Just…don’t act like a celebrity and be a normal person. I’m sure they’ll like you.”

I could hear Lu Han shifting around and the screen went blank. “, dropped my phone,” he mumbled. A moment later, he was on his stomach, the phone probably propped up against his pillow instead. “I miss you so much,” he sighed. " I haven’t gotten to kiss you in almost two whole weeks”

“I miss you too. I just have Xiao Lu here to keep me company.”

 

 

I was still staying at home for the time being, but Andi and I had decided to rent an apartment together in Beijing and become roommates. I had started packing my room, and I was set to move out in a week. Once I get revealed as an author, I didn’t want the media bothering my parents at my family home. 

For now, Lu Han’s cab driver buzzed into our community and dropped Lu Han off by a side door to avoid being recognized. He had on a hoodie and a snapback, with jeans and sneakers, casually leaning against the door until I opened it for him from the inside. 

The first thing he did was check behind me to make sure that the stairwell was empty. Then, he pressed me against the inside of the closed door and kissed me senseless. 

“I missed this,” he whispered, nosing at a spot behind my ear. 

I let myself indulge for a few minutes before pushing insistently at Lu Han’s chest, moving him back. “My parents are upstairs waiting,” I said, reluctant to pull away. I pressed one last soft kiss to his lips before pulling him up the stairs after me. “Let’s get going.”

My parents were polite with Lu Han. Not overly friend, but not outrageously disapproving. I guess that was as good as I could expect it to be.

After Lu Han left, dad grumbled a little about Lu Han’s pretty appearance. 

“He’s prettier than a girl,” Dad said, glaring at me. “Why don’t you get a boyfriend that actually looks like a guy?”

“Lu Han can be manly too,” I insisted. 

“I think he’s handsome,” Mom said, shrugging. “I don’t know about the manly part, but definitely handsome. That’s the flower boy style all the young kids like these days, isn’t it? My daughter got the prettiest flower boy of them all.” I think she was joking, but she sounded strangely proud of it.  

Dad let out a grunt and turned back to his tv show. “You better not cause any scandals, Lin Yejing. At least he’s from Beijing too.”

I took that to be approval on Dad’s terms. Good enough. 

 


A few days later, Dad helped me move my stuff half way across the city to my new apartment. It was a small place, pretty economical, but with a nice view. Andi had already moved in a few days before, and helped me unpack after my Dad left. 

Not ev

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter