Ten

Fiction and Fact
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

One afternoon’s shooting was halted when a sudden rain storm hit Taipei. When it finally stopped, it left the city ten degrees cooler and no longer humid. 

“This feel terrific,” Terry sighed, arms out to feel the slight breeze. “Good thing none of the clothes got damaged though. That would have been a disaster. Although I kind of wish the storm would have taken Nana away.”

“That’s mean,” I hissed under my breath, stifling a giggle. I kind of agreed. The heat was making Nana extra demanding this morning. I felt terrible for the PD assistants, who were being sent scurrying every few minutes to see to her demands for water, ice, towel, shade, and more. 

“I only speak truth,” Terry shrugged serenely with a light shrug. “Actually, have you noticed Nana though? She’s been extra clingy lately, always hanging off the arm of your prince charming.” Terry fell silent as Lu Han walked past the director’s booth where Terry and I were currently situated, out of harm’s way as the production crew quickly got the next scene ready. Nana was with him too, looped arm and arm with the said idol. 

I could feel my lip curl as I sank further sinking into my seat. Lu Han had to be the most innocent, naive boy on the planet. After so many months of filming, how had he still not seen through Nana’s fake front? I guess she really was a good actress. 

We were on set, located at a small university in order to utilize their soccer field for a scene. I had written Yiru to be an excellent soccer player, inspired, of course, by Lu Han’s talents himself. 

"Yejing do something about this!” Terry whined suddenly. “The She-Devil is stealing your man!" 

I laughed, waving him off. "Terry, you're overreacting way too much. He’s not my - we’re just friends.”

“But you guys get along so well, and I swear he flirts with you sometimes. I’ve seen it!”

“He also flirts with Nana,” I sighed. “Or maybe he’s just too nice to all girls. Sometimes I think that maybe, there is something between us but it’s probably just my imagination. He has the beautiful rising star Nana to fawn over him." 

"Look, all I'm saying is Lu Han is here now. What’s stopping you from making the first move? Didn’t you already fess up that he was basically the living breathing definition of Han Yiru?”

“Well...I didn’t exactly tell him which character yet…”

“Oh my god, Yejing. Shoot me.” 

Before Terry could do any harm, he was called out by Producer Hu who needed new jerseys for the sweaty actors. Once he was gone, I moved to the sidelines with the cameras and  redirected my focus onto the soccer field, searching through the countless players for the one that always stood out the most.

In a white and blue jersey, Lu Han effortlessly dribbled the ball across the field, evading players gracefully left and right before scoring the ‘winning’ goal. What followed after was a series of practiced cheers and chants. They had originally wanted to use a body double, but Lu Han had insisted that he was perfectly capable of doing his own soccer scene.  

"Look at him,” Jenny whispered under her breath. “It’s almost as if he wants to prove something to somebody." She gave me a pointed look.

"To who?" 

She just gave me a shrug before moving away. When I turned to face the field again, Lu Han was staring straight at me. The playful glint found in his eyes no longer existed. Instead it was replaced with a dark shade of determination. 

I didn't want to be the first one to turn away.

"Lu Han!" From my spot, I could see Nana move from her spot in the stands onto the field, holding out a bottle of cold water. 

"Thanks, Nana," Lu Han said gratefully, taking the cool drink.  

Nana was shuffling a little. Was she...nervous? 

“I was just wondering…”
 
I suddenly had a bad feeling about this. 

“About?” Lu Han asked. 

“If you would like to go to dinner with me this Friday night after filming?” 

“Well, I’m not…busy?” Lu Han frowned, scratching his head as if unsure about something. 

“Then it’s decided,” Nana rushed on, not giving Lu Han time to argue. “It’s a date.”

“Uh...okay,” Lu Han hesitantly agreed. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter