Thirteen

Fiction and Fact
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


My trip to Thailand was only my second time out of China, and my first time traveling alone. I was a little nervous, but the trip went smoothly. I took a nap on the flight and woke up when we were just ten minutes away. Lu Han had arrived before me and was hiding out in a black van with tinted windows, waiting for me. He was dressed in shorts and a casual tshirt, and had a snap back pulled on backwards. 

“I think you’re supposed to hide your face,” I told him, pointing to the hat. 

“This is a fashion statement,” Lu Han argued, batting my hand away. “No one knows I’m here anyway.”

The drive from the airport to the resort was pretty long. The van had been sent to pick us up specially, which I thought was very nice.

“I think the owners are related to Jongdae or something,” Lu Han admitted. “I’m not sure exactly, but it’s either a close family friends or an uncle.”

That, to me, was news, but it made me feel a lot better about this trip. At least I knew I was in trusted hands. That feeling stayed with me until we arrived at the resort. Lu Han, to my relief did spin his hat around to hide his face a bit when we got out of the car. The trip had been almost a three hour drive – interstate roads to city roads and then to rocky, unpaved roads. 

“This place is nice,” Lu Han said, looking around. He had his hands wrapped around his the strap of his MCM bag, a little agitated from the coffee he had downs in the car.

The resort was beautifully decorated. The entrance stairways were white marble, and the doors were arched with gold. It reminded me of a palace, a place for royalty.  

The guy who greeted us in the lobby spoke perfect Korean to Lu Han. He was kind of short and had high cheekbones. I could see a bit of a resemblance.  

“He says he’s Jongdae’s cousin,” Lu Han confirmed as we followed the man through the lobby. He handed us room cards at the front desk, then pointed us toward the elevator. 

I flipped to the back of the card. Room 510. “What floor are you on?” I asked. 

“Five,” Lu Han said, pressing the button as the doors slid closed. 

“Oh me too,” I exclaimed. I followed Lu Han out of the elevator on the fifth floor, admiring the plants in the hall as I counted down the room numbers. 513…512….511…510. I bumped into Lu Han, who had also stopped in front of my room. 

“Um, are you also 510?” I asked, confused. 

Lu Han nodded, pressing his key card to the door. “Maybe it’s a two bedroom suite.”

When we got in to the room, we quickly discovered that it was a suite – a one bedroom suite. There were red flower pedals scattered on the bed and chocolates on the pillow. 

“I think there’s been a mistake,” Lu Han mumbled, blushing. He reached for the phone on the bedside table and quickly put in a call to the front desk. He spoke in Korean to the guy from before, Chen’s cousin, face twisted in a frown. 

I decided to check out the suite, peeking into the bathroom and the balcony. There was a small kitchen with simple appliances and a bar counter. The living room and the bedroom were connected, making for a large space with a flatscreen TV and a couch. I turned to see Lu Han sitting on the bed, one hand unwrapping one of the pillow chocolates, the other holding the phone on speaker mode on his lap.

“Jongdae’s cousin said you guys booked the romance package?” Lu Han was yelling into the speakers. “He said it’s for couples!”

Kris’ voice was on the other end. “Oh, yeah it was the only thing left. It’s peak holiday season right now. Besides, it was a really good deal. It includes a steak dinner and a bottle of wine.”

“Then we could have just stayed at a different place! Why did you have to book this one? I should never have trusted you and Jongdae to plan this. Does manager hyung know?”

Kris laughed, and I could hear other voices on the background on his side. “No, he doesn’t. You can feel free to tell him,” Kris chuckled. “Jongdae told his cousin to leave extra blankets and pillows. You can just sleep on the couch for a few days, okay?”

“Not okay,” Lu Han insisted. “Kris, this is your fault!”

“It’s Jongdae’s fault,” Kris insisted. There were sounds of protest from the other end. It seemed that Chen was in mutiny about taking the blame. “Look, Han, you’re already there, aren’t you? You and Yejing should enjoy the free vacation, steak dinner and all. Anyway, I got to go. I think Yixing locked manager hyung’s keys in the car somehow.”

“Wait, but -” Lu Han’s sentence was cut off by clear beeping from the other end of the line. Kris had hung up. 

“Um…are we supposed to share?” I asked. 

Lu Han gave me a sheepish look and offered me one of the pillow chocolates. “Sorry, Jongdae, I mean, Chen likes to pull pranks sometimes. Although, I’m pretty sure they lied. This resort is definitely not at capacity right now and it’s not peak tourist season. I talked to the people at the front desk and they said this suite has already been paid for with no refunds, so I guess we’ll just have to share.”

Share a room with Lu Han? For four whole days?

“It’s just four days, no big deal,” Lu Han continued. “I’ll just sleep on the couch.”

“Yeah, no big deal,” I repeated after him numbly. 

Lu Han and I had a personal tour guide for the day, a local native of the area who took us out to lunch. Then, we changed into gym shorts and tank tops, packed several bottles of ice water, and started on a five hour hike with the guide. The hike took us into the mountains, with a trail that was flat on some parts and steep on others. We got to see some amazing rock formations, ancient looking trees, and wisps of waterfalls. We even saw a deer on the way back, which I joked looked like Lu Han.

“Ha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter