Chapter 1

Never Say Goodbye

I really have to warn you that I'm a really crappy writer...and I also lack creativity/originality, so if it sounds like something you've seen in a movie...its probably cuz i've seen it too! HAHAHA*

-----

Chapter 1

"Oppa, let's go get some ice cream," Yoona said to Nickhun as they stepped outside the schoolhouse doors. It was pouring rain, but she was in such a good mood that even the dreary weather couldn't get her down.

"What?! It's raining! And we'll get soaking wet," Nickhun stated.

“No worries,” Yoona said cheerfully as she pulled out her umbrella and opened it. “Why do you think they invented this?”

Nickhun just chuckled as he huddled under the umbrella next to her.

- - - - -

"All right. See you tonight," Nickhun said before placing his cell beside his sundae on the table. "My
parents are at the airport. They just got back from their trip and they're heading home right now."

"Yay! I wonder if they brought back any gifts. ^___^" Yoona joyfully stated as she finished off her sundae. "Eat your ice cream before it melts, Oppa!"

"Jeez, calm down. We can't all eat like you. I swear you have a bottomless pit for a stomach," Nick teased.

"Don't make fun of me!" Yoona exclaimed as she crossed her arms and began to pout.

"I'm just kidding, Yoona! You know I love your appetite. It shows that you're not one those typical girls who are obsessed with their diet and appearance."

"That's right!" she smiled. "Anyhoo, seeing how it's almost summer and you’ll be graduating, have you started thinking about whether or not you'll be attending college?

"Ahh, you worry about school too much," answered Nick with a sour face.

"Just promise me you'll think about it," Yoona pleaded. "Please."

"All right. Anything for my girl," agreed Nick as he pulled her hand forward and gave it a kiss. She could feel her cheeks burn with embarassment. His charming ways always got to her. Sometimes she wondered how she ever met someone so wonderful or even why he chose her to be his girl. Her name was Im Yoon A and she was a plain jane. She tried her best not to stand out. You could even say she was invisible; yet, Nickhun noticed her. One of the school’s most popular guys liked a simple girl like her. She doesn’t know if he knows how beautiful he is; his eyes had a warmth that melted her every time she looked at them. His touch was ever so soft; she never knew such gentleness could make her feel so safe and secure. It still amazes her. But she was grateful, and she couldn’t imagine life without him.

- - - - -

Before Yoona even made it through the school gates, Seohyun was already running towards her and screaming her name.

“What’s with the attack?” Yoona asked Seohyun.

“I’m just excited about summer! I get to go to stay with my cousin in New York for a couple of weeks. How cool is that?!” Seohyun replied as she bounced up and down with glee.

“That’s great! I wish I had something exciting to do this summer. All I get to do is help out at my family’s noodle shop.” Yoona replied with a frown. “You better bring me back something nice!”

“Of course!”

- - - - -

As Yoona sat down next to Seohyun in the cafeteria, her eyes scoured the room for Nickhun. He was missing from class this morning, but he always had lunch with her. Even on days that he skipped class, he made sure to stop by and have lunch with Yoona. Today was quite unusual.

“Where’s Nickhun?” Seohyun asked.

“I have no idea,” Yoona said as she pulled out her phone hoping he left her a message. Nothing. Where could he be, and what was he doing?

- - - - -

After school Yoona skipped work and headed over to Nick’s house. There were several cars parked outside. She wondered what was going on. As she approached the front doors, she could hear the faint sobbing of a woman. Apprehension overcame her as she slowly raised her hand and knocked. She held her breath waiting for the door to open. It felt like an eternity. The door finally unlatched itself revealing a middle aged man in the open space.

“Can I help you?” the man asked as his voice was laced with melancholy.

“Umm…is Nickhun here?” She asked with hesitation.

“May I ask who you are?” inquired the man.

“My name is Im Yoon A. I’m a friend of Nickhun. Is he okay?”

“This isn’t a good time right now. You might want to come back later,” replied the man. “His parents were in an acc—”

“Who is it, uncle?” a familiar voice questioned.

“Umm…a young girl by the name of Im Yoon A. She said she’s a friend. Would you like me to ask her to come back later?”

“Let her in,” replied the voice.

It was Nick. Upon entering Yoona could see a woman bawling in the other room. She was being consoled by other men and crying women. The atmosphere was somber. All that she could think about was where Nickhun was and whether or not he was okay. She found Nick sitting in the dining room speaking to another woman. Yoona overheard them talking about funeral arrangements for his parents. As she entered the woman got up and left. He looked at Yoona with a grave expression on his face. She sat in the previously occupied seat. Her hand reached out for his and just held it. She didn’t know what else to say or do. All that crossed her mind was that she should try her best to comfort him in his time of need. She doesn’t know how she would respond if she lost her parents. She would probably be hysterical, yet here Nick was just quiet and thinking to himself. Side by side they sat as the silence filled the air.

- - - - -

A week had passed since the incident; school had let out for summer since then, and today was Nickhun’s parents’ funeral. Yoona stood beside him as they were lowering the casket into the ground. Her cheeks were drenched in the never ending tears streaming down. Although they weren’t her parents, she could only imagine what it would feel like. She looked at Nickhun to see how he was handling it. There he was again just standing in silence. After the funeral Nickhun drove Yoona home, but instead of going straight home, they stopped by a dock. It was the same dock that they would occasionally watch sunsets at. Yoona followed him as he walked to the end of the dock. Suddenly, Nick began to scream out into the open water. The vast mass of blue still wasn’t enough to take in Nickhun’s sudden outburst. The way he kept bottling his emotions was worrying Yoona. This face that he put on wasn’t healthy for any person.

“Oppa,” Yoona said to him as she reached for his hand. “Are you okay?”

“Yoona,” he said softly. “I…I don’t know what I’m going to do.”

Yoona could hear his struggle to surpress his emotions as he spoke. She was truly concerned. She grabbed him by his shoulders and turned him to face her. Her delicate hands surrounded his face as it held it in place preventing him from looking away. She looked him straight in the eyes and said, “Oppa, it’s me. You don’t have to pretend to be okay when you’re not. It’s okay to cry. You don’t have to keep this strong appearance around me. I’m here for you.”

Unexpectedly, Nickhun dropped to his knees and began sobbing. His heart wrenching cries hurt her so much. She never thought she’d see her oppa in such pain. As she knelt down in front of him, her tears began to flow again. His health had deteriorated, and the lack of sleep was written all over his face. He pulled her in and held her tight as his sobs became muffled against her shirt. She could feel it soak up his outpour of sorrow and dispair. Her heart just panged from the sight of him in such a state. His embrace became firmer as he held her tighter.

“I don’t know what I’m supposed to do. Where do I go from here?” he silently whispered to her. His melancholic voice strained to even speak. “It’s not fair. Why them? Why did they have to leave?”

“Oppa…” Yoona murmured as she hugged him even tighter. She couldn’t believe he’d been trying to do this alone—wearing a fa�ade of a strong person as he was falling apart inside. Her heart just ached for him.

He was almost inaudible as he cried, “Please, don’t ever leave me. Never say goodbye.”

“I would never,” Yoona weeped reassuring him that such a thought had never crossed her mind. She began to slightly his back trying to further console his grief stricken spirit. “I’ll always be here for you.”

Yoona wished there was more that she could do for him. She wished her tears were enough to bring them back. She wished that he didn’t have to go through such a tragedy. As much as she longed for these wishes to come true, the only thing she could actually do was just be there for him.

-----
What'd you think? C/C Please! ^___^