Chapter 2

The Perfect Boyfriend

If my Monday isn’t good, well, my Tuesday isn’t any better. As long as the bell rang as a sign of the end of the last period, my head cracked up as if it was being cut in half. The weather is breezy the moment I stepped out of the school, and my snowboarding jacket isn’t helping that much in making me warm. My hands trembled under my pockets, and my toes started to feel uncomfortable under my shoes. Unfortunately, Bom wasn’t here to accompany me home, and my Mom has a meeting today that she can’t pick me up.

Great, I thought. Tuesday didn’t end up that good.

Well, Jiyong didn’t show up this day, because he was too busy. He had to go to school early in the morning because his captain needs him in the basketball team, and this afternoon, he has to attend make-up lessons. He already told me he won’t accompany me home; but he will try to sneak out with his College Algebra teacher, which didn’t make me happy at all.

Many of the students got their own car, so they won’t be problem about getting warm, while some have thick winter coats that made them comfortable just by standing, and unfortunately, I had to move my body continuously so that I will stay warm.

I jogged in my place, and after a few seconds of warming-up, jogged my way to my house, since it’s very near from the school. My knees hurt every time I take a step on the hard pavement; but I still continue anyway. I stopped to rest in front of Starbucks, breathing heavily that I fume out smoke from my lips.

I retorted when someone grabbed my hand; but my foot landed limply on the pavement, making me slip. I closed my eyes, and anticipate the impact; but no impact came, much to my astonishment.

I slowly, open my eyes, and saw a pair of dark brown ones, shining like it had been missing someone, his bandana covering the half of his face made it hard for me to recognize him. Then, he called my name, sweetly like how Jiyong does. “Dara,”

I trembled. “Sorry, sir, but I already have a boyfriend.”

He helped me up as I dust my snowboarding jacket, fearfully. “Oh no, Jiyong will kill me if this gets dirty.”

“No, he won’t.” The man piped in, his eyebrows raised. “Why would your boyfriend do that?”

“Because he’s a fashion freak, and doesn’t let anyone make his clothes dirty. They were his most prized possessions, and being a good girlfriend, I would maintain them clean whenever he lends them to me.” I suddenly said, absent-mindedly, muttering personal things because I was in my ‘addicted-to-Jiyong’ syndrome. “Though I hope he’s with me.”

“Why?” He asked. “Why he’s not here with you?”

I jerked up, realizing my mistake, and then turned down again, focusing on my shoes. “Aigoo, sir, don’t mind me. I’m just missing my boyfriend, because he has been busy lately.”

“I’m sorry, Dara.” He suddenly said. “God knows how much I’ve missed you too.”

I peered up, and saw the man taking his mask off. By the time it was removed, I gasped in awe when I saw Jiyong.

“J-Ji,” I stammer, my face turning into beet red.

“Dara, you should’ve told me you missed me. I should’ve cancelled those appointments with captain-“

“Jiyong, I’m not that selfish you know?” I told him, forcefully giving him a smile. “They need you more than I need you now.”

“Dara, you’re my girlfriend. I take responsibility of you.” He told me, wrapping his arms around my neck. “I’ve been a bad boyfriend.”

I never wanted to make Jiyong guilty of not accompanying me home, or not making my bad days better, because it just made me feel like I’m a bad person. The things he does everyday, they come and go; but I’m always here waiting.

“No, you’re not.” I retorted, pinching his cheeks. “You’ve been very good by attending your make-up classes and practices.”

He pouted. “But Algebra isn’t nice. It makes my head ache.”

“Aww,” I chuckled, and tiptoed to kiss his forehead. “Does it still hurt?”

He laughed, beaming widely. “Not anymore.”

“Good, because I have to go.” I told him. “See you tomorrow. I love you.”

“Wait!” He stopped me in my tracks. “Let me accompany you home.”

“Jiyong, you know you have to-

“Please?” He pouted. “Just this once.”

I stared at him, thinking of how will I persuade him to attend his remedial classes; but I realized he wouldn’t give up, so I agreed. “Okay, fine.”

“Yes!” He jumped for joy.

“Only on one condition.” I told him, accusing him a finger, and he stopped right away.

“What?” He asked.

“Study for your test.” I told him, and he nodded, affirmative.

“Thanks, Jagiya!” He hugged me. “You’re still kind amidst of that grumpy face!”

He broke the hug, still beaming with joy as I eye him carefully. “Let’s go!” He cheered, his eyes shining into full brim.

He grabbed my hand, and put it in his winter coat’s pocket, his smile didn’t fade off. We started to walk, his other hand held his favorite cocoa, while the other held my hand under the freezing weather.

 


 

He’d go on a walk with me in 60 degree weather, hot cocoa in one hand and my hand in his other.