Chapter 5

The Perfect Boyfriend

Friday wasn't any better than the past few days, even if it was the last day on the weekdays and there'll be no classes tomorrow. The winter breeze is obviously colder today even if five days had only gone since winter started. The snow had covered up the streets with a white blanket, and cars had a hard time to pass.


I stood with Bom on the pavement, waiting for who-knows-who in front of the school's main building. It wasn't a problem with me, but then Bom was wearing more clothes than me, that had made her comfortable under this chilly winter day, while I wore just two layers of clothes excluding underwear, leaving me no choice to withhold the cold for a while.

Bom tiptoed, and grunted. "Where is he?"

"Who's he?" I asked; my voice was barely a whisper, raspy and broken, because of the temperature. I could see the air from my mouth and nose comes out into a thin white smoke.

Bom grunted again. "Top said we should wait for him here. He has something to give before he goes away for his field trip." She turned to me. "You should be going inside. You're getting pale."

"I'm fine, Bom. Besides, I can't leave you alone here." I reasoned out, but my eyelids betrayed me, because they remained half-lidded.

"I'll be fine." Bom grabbed my shoulders and smiled. "After I got the package, I'll quickly get inside."

I wasn't so sure if I should leave my best friend outside alone, especially that she's a girl and there were no enough students to see if ever she got kidnapped, because there are no afternoon classes today. Mainly, the students who stayed for the afternoon were the participants for the Runway Project for the fair and partly, the scholars who had to work as assistants at the library. Since I was neither, I have decided to spend my afternoon drinking coffee but then, Bom was insistent yesterday that I should accompany her, because she hardly knows anyone on the Runway Project. I agreed, and this is what I'm going through right now.

I hesitated, but then the smile Bom gives me had convinced me she could take it. "Okay. I'll be at the Gymnasium."

She nodded, letting go of my shoulders, and I walked towards inside. When I walked, that's when I only realized my legs were numb that I can't feel my toes, and it had worsened when I walked because every step I take, my foot buried underneath the thick snow.

After a few strides, grunts and huffs, I managed to arrive at the Gymnasium, and just as I thought, no one was there. I settled down in the front seat, shuddering and trembling with the cold temperature. I hugged myself, hoping I could at least feel some warmth.

The door that connects the Gymnasium from the Main Building opens, and a boy, about five feet and eight inches tall appears, wearing a thick black 'One Of A Kind' sweatshirt, jeans and a blue bonnet. His black and pink hair looks gray and red with the Gymnasium's lighting. He looked up, the hood of his sweatshirt covering his face--making it harder for me to identify him, and quickly, he walked towards me. I looked down at the floor. Jiyong always reminds me that when the boys walk towards you, keep your eyes on the floor.

When he arrived in front of me, I gulped. I just can't seem to hold myself from looking. I don't know why, but I thought there was a magnetic pull between us. We're like two different charges, one negative and one positive. It's just impossible because only Jiyong has this affect on me.

I looked up, cautiously like a criminal and suddenly jerked, surprised to see Jiyong. He chuckled, and greeted, "Hey," with a husky and hollow voice.

He must've been tired of all of the things he does--balancing sports and studies--because he sat beside me with a loud THUMP! occurring when his contacted with the metal bench. Jiyong spreads his arms wide, and put one around my shoulder.

"I missed you," He said, and our gazes met.

I smiled. "I missed you."

He kissed my forehead, and pulled me, resting his chin on my head. I laughed, while saying, "I didn't recognize you. Did you color your hair?"

Jiyong pulled out, and looked at my face. "Yes, obviously."

I smirked. "Dauntless."

He laughed. "You've been reading a lot, I tell. What's hitting your bookshelf?"

"Divergent. Actually, I've just finished reading it." Jiyong frowned, and immediately, I contradicted, "But I'm only in the book two, you know me, I'm quite a little slow at reading."

I just lied...to him. But if I don't, he'll just complain about the times he should've been the one reading for me as my boyfriend, etcetera and I don't want him to look pained and guilty. I just want him to have things to be busier with other than me. I mean, if he wants to take care of me would he look like a babysitter than a boyfriend?

"Is it too cold?" He asked; I shook my head. Not believing, he ed the button-down I'm wearing, too quickly that I didn't have the time to stop him. He checked out the shirt behind, that was too thin to suit or this type of day. Well, to tell you the truth I was absent-minded this morning so I didn't know I wore this, partly.

Jiyong sighed. "You should've worn something thicker."

"Sorry. Absent-minded." I reasoned out, smiling slyly. He pursed his lips; nodding and buttoned my shirt as he says, "Don't do that again."

He puts his hands on the hem of his sweatshirt, pulled and hauled it up over his head and in one swift motion before I could realize, wore it to me. My arms were stuck inside the sweatshirt, and when I tried to lift them up, Jiyong pinned it on the bench.

"Don't even try to remove it." He warned, his eyes narrowed.

"But what about you?" I creased my eyebrows.

"I'm okay." He said, and even once I didn't see him tremble, but it didn't convince me that he is okay. I looked down at his clothes. He was wearing a white button-down and another shirt underneath it.

"Jiyong, please, I can withstand this." I tried to pry. "Please,"

He narrowed his eyes, and sternly said, "No."

After a short moment, when I realized there was no way I'm going to win, I just puckered my lips. "You sure you're okay?"

He smiled. "Better."

"Oh you." I grunted, and quickly hugged him. He smells of coffee, lavender and mint.

"You still feel guilty?" He asked, laughing.

I shook my head. He kissed my ear, and I kissed him back on his ear before snuggling his neck.

"I love you." He whispered in my ear.

I smiled against his neck, and said, "I love you." back, but it turned out muffled so it kind of sound like, "Mmmh mm mm."

Jiyong laughed, patting my back and said, "Mmmh mm mm mm."

Then, his phone suddenly rang, echoing through the whole Gymnasium. I broke the hug, and stared at the screen of his cell phone.

He cursed. "Coach wants me in the locker room immediately." He punched the small gap between us and run his fingers through his hair.

"Do they even get tired? Can I have a life?" He looked upon me. "I just want to be with you."

I smiled and pointed the way towards the locker room. "Then go on live your life."

Jiyong decided to be mushy. "You are my life." He reasoned out.

"No mushy reasons, mister. Go on, I'll just be at my house if you need anything. My mother doesn't worry at all if you're there." I said, and kissed him on the forehead.

"Can this have a kiss too?" He asked, pointing at his lips and puckered it.

I chuckled, but decided to give him a slight kiss on the lips. Jiyong grunted. "I want something more intimate."

"You're late." I reminded him.

He grunted, and said, "Fine."

Jiyong stood up, gave me a kiss on the forehead and went on to the locker room. Before he even got fully out of the Gymnasium, he gave me a flying kiss and then, finally got out.

I hugged myself, giddily. There's more than enough warmth in my body. If the government wouldn't prevent us, we could be the new thermal heat for the whole country when it gets too cold.

"You're getting corny there, Sandara." I stopped hugging myself and turned. I saw Bom in front of me, holding a medium-sized box.

"Did I say it out loud?" I asked.

She nodded. "Yeah. You want to try again?"

I shook my head, my face now a thousand times redder than I was when I was too cold and I placed my head between my thighs. This is too much embarrassment that I can't handle.

I felt Bom occupy the seat where Jiyong sat earlier. "I wonder what this package is?" She gushed and I felt her open the box. After opening, I heard a gasp.

I peered out my head to look, and I saw Bom hyperventilating. She's fanning herself as if the whole Seoul is not enough to cool herself down.

"What's that?" I asked, intending to peer at the contents inside but decided not to. I don't want to get close to Bom when's she's hyperventilating and excited. I might get bruised.

"It's a limited edition!" Bom gasped.

I groaned, rolling my eyes.

"No, it's a one of a kind!" She shouted.

I looked at my sweatshirt.

"No! Not your sweatshirt." She told me, so I turned my head back at her. "Geez, do you want me to wear that kind of thing from Jiyong's old ragged closet?" Bom grunted, her eyes narrowed.

I shrugged. "Maybe?"

"Whatever." She dismissed. "Anyway, Top got me this."

She pulled something from the box, which is another blue velvet box where you put the rings inside to keep it safe and it's usually stuck in the middle of a foam. Bom opens the box, and I was expecting a ring, but it was a bracelet instead.

"It's a signature bracelet made by Jose Hess." Bom smiled. "Top bought it when his father went to Italy for a business trip. He asked this for a souvenir."

I rolled my eyes. "Rich people."

"Hey! You're rich too!" Bom complained, closing the box.

"I belong to the middle-class. We aren't rich. We just have enough money to support our living, but not enough to buy leisure." I told her.

Bom pouted; I raised a brow.

"You like Top do you?" I asked, grabbing the box from her. Bom was taken aback, and she just pouted and whined like a lost puppy.

"Do you?" I asked again. "Answer or this will go to the sewer."

Bom crossed her arms, diverting her gaze. "Well, a little bit."

"Okay," I stood up, turning my body towards the restroom.

"Fine!" Bom shouted, stopping me. "I do like Top. Okay, scratch that, I love him. He's my type. And that's why I always quarrel with him is because I always want to talk with him. It was the only thing I'm desperate enough to do."

"And why?" I asked, going back to my seat.

"I was a nerd back then, Sandara." Bom sighed. "Students at my elementary school don't want to be friends with me because I'm a nerd who's too obsessed with her crushes. I have a habit to randomly pop out in front of my crush and kiss him on the nose. I print tarpaulins of my crushes and paste it up on my bedroom wall. I use their pictures as my wallet photos. I have them everywhere, well, not physically."

"Gay." I commented, laughing.

"Anyway, when I was in third grade and my obsession still at its peak, I met Top and his group. He's already friends with Jiyong, Seungri and Youngbae back then. They were like the little boy next doors of the campus. Girls were the one who woo them. Then, when I went to the rooftop, I saw a boy crying."

(Flashback in Third Person)

Bom opened the rooftop door, her small hand doesn't fit the doorknob, but she has managed to open it. The students were cruel again because they stole her glasses and broke them. Now she has to ask her appa to buy her another one again.

Her school life is nothing but hell, but there was a part of it where there is heaven. When all of them restrain her to be close with them, this rooftop is the only spot that she would go to.

But someone stole it.

Bom felt the blood in her body boils in anger, and she tightened her knuckles, making it white and pale. "What are you doing here?"

He turned, his face was red and blotchy, and Bom can't figure out what he was doing. "I'm sitting, dumb."

Bom's heart flutters. It was Choi Seunghyun. The most popular guy in her school. The one commonly called as Top. No one calls him by name.  
He's too private of his family life and story. That's why girls love him. They always love mysterious boys.

She didn't mean to, but her legs brought her to where Top was sitting, near the railing, and she sat beside him. Her eyes gave her hindrance to see the beautiful sunset, and she hates it.

"What are you-"

"I'm not here for you, feeler. I'm here for myself." Bom cuts Top in his attempt to ask her a question.

She pulled out a picture from her pocket, a picture of her big brother who's at America to achieve his dreams. Gingerly, she turned the picture towards the sunset.

"Oppa, it's sunset here in Seoul, and I bet it's sunrise there at America. It's still beautiful Oppa, but it's lonely without you." Bom said, and she forced herself not to choke. She isn't alone after all.

She tried to joke. "My foot size is 6, Oppa."

Then, she shove the picture back in her pocket again and just stared at the sunset. It was beautiful. Her brother and she used to watch it together but now he's gone, Bom thinks the sun is as sad as her. Its rays were kind of off, only stretching half of its usual length, and pale, appearing yellow-ish than orange-ish.

"What are you doing here?" Top asked, sternly. Bom wiped her blotchy face; she almost forgot about the great Seunghyun beside her, and this isn't the type of first impression she wants to remark. Crying Bom?  
Pathetic.

"I'm looking at the sunset." She hugged her knees. "What about you?" She then glanced at him, her lips curled up into a smile.

"I'm crying." He admitted, and she was taken aback by it. "My mother filed an annulment against my father. Heh, typical. I saw her flirting with one of my father's business partners but then I didn't tell my father, hoping our family would last longer. Turns out I was wrong, because my father knew about it weeks after I knew then, they fight and then finally, going down to filing an annulment."

"I'm sorry." Bom muttered, and at first she was hesitant to pat his shoulder, but did it anyway. Top nodded with her assurance and gave her a smile.

"I'm Choi Seunghyun by the way. My friends call me Top; you can also call me Top. I hope you can do me a favor." He said, wiping away the tears from his cheeks.

Bom nodded. "Sure."

"I want you to call me Seunghyun when it's just the both of us." He outreached his hand, and Bom accepted it, still having doubts.

"I'm Bom, Park Bom." She murmured, tilting her head to the side.

"What's with the face?" Top asked her, tilting also his head to the side and Bom has to admit, he looks handsome at any angle. This guy never loses his handsomeness whatever he does.

She fixed her face, looking forward, which he also did to himself. "When we're alone you can call me Bommie-yah!"

"Okay," He laughed, still not letting go of her hand.

"Seunghyunie-yah," She mumbled and laughed. "Mouthful."

They both grew closer at each other, and the next following year, Top introduced her to his friends. She goes out with them, and joins with their group. Even though the girls spread rumors about her being a flirt and cheap, the boys protected her. They frequently have debates with those girls, and even if it means losing popularity, they don't back down. Top says it's just popularity, and it's much less to lose than a good friend.

Bom changed through time, turning from a nerd to a much fabulous person and she can't believe the boys had also changed. True enough, they're still great at sports and music but their individuality becomes strong. Jiyong became inclined to composing and fashion. Top became inclined to producing and rapping. Youngbae became inclined to dancing and working out. Daesung became inclined to theatre and performing arts. While Seungri started to have his own training academy.


(End of Flashback)

"That's where my love for him started. I-I thought it was just a crush but when it lasted for 5 years, I knew it was love. Now, it's turning to almost 15 years." Bom laughed, looking down at her hands. "Happy anniversary to me."

I wiggled my lips, and reached out for the box. Bom didn't stop me though, so I continued on searching. That Top sure have left something good, because he won't deliver it himself if he didn't. He could make his housemaids or butcher do it for him, because after all delivering this package would mean he's going to be late for the field trip.

When I found a white paper, I opened it quickly and read the first line, then the last line. It was addressed to Bom from Top, and I'm guessing this will tell her everything. I just have to pray this is a confession.

"Bom," I grunted as I shuffle my body back to the bench, my stomach hurting slightly from withholding it against my legs.

"Here," I sighed, giving her the paper I found. She hesitated, pressing her lips together as she stared at the paper and because I was irritated, I grab her hand and place the paper in her hands. There was hesitation in her eyes, afraid it won't contain anything good and I grunted, shoving her hand to her face.

"When I hesitated opening the letter from Jiyong, you did the same to me and now you're the one who's hesitating?" I shouted. "Read it, Bommie-yah, you look ridiculous fidgeting."

 

Bom flipped the paper open, and read it to herself, moving delicately. After reading it, she placed the paper down on her lap and turned to me.

 

“So?” I asked, arching a brow.

 

She grinned. “He said he likes me.”

 

“And?” I urge for more.

 

“That’s all.” She shrugged, pouting and sighed. “What do you think should I do?”

 

“Tell him the same?” I suggested. “Give him a letter, a note, compose a song for him or go to his house.”

 

She stared at me, completely appalled. “You’re joking right? Only Jiyong do those things.”

 

I blushed. “I’m sorry.”

 

“But I’ll try to convey my feelings to him as soon as possible.” She nodded to herself. “Just so he wait after he arrives from New York.”

 

I rolled my eyes, turning to the opposite side. “Rich people.”

 

She moved her head in front of me, looking interested about the subject. “You haven’t have money for our batch’s field trip, do you?”

 

I pouted, and sighed. “Yeah. We don’t have extra money.”

 

“I could lend you.” She suggested.

 

I smiled at her, rubbing my palms against each other. “Thanks but I can’t use your money Bom. I have to work hard for it.”

 

“Do you want me to give you my schedules at the club so you could earn?” She suggested again.

 

I shook my head. “No thanks, Bom. I can handle it.”

 

“What can you handle?”

 

Bom and I both looked up and saw Jiyong, standing before us, both of his hands inside his pockets and wearing his basketball uniform with their team jacket. We both stood up, and Jiyong kissed me on the forehead as a greeting, a gesture Bom insisted whenever she’s around. She says it has more sense of decency than kissing on the lips.

 

“We were talking about my new assignment from my professor that I was going to tell you after we get home.” I lied, smiling and nudged Bom. She nodded also, but a little too nervous.

 

Jiyong shrugged. “If you say so. You’re going with us, Noona? I’m going to have dinner again at Dara’s place. I really love Omma’s kimchi and ramen.”

 

Bom grit her teeth. “It’s so irritating when you call Dara’s mother Omma.” She rolled her eyes. “I’ll go and then sleepover.”

 

Jiyong’s face suddenly turned sour. “But I was going to…”

 

“Why? Do you have a problem? You own Dara now because you’re the boyfriend? Huh?” Bom pressed, her arms crossed.

 

Jiyong frowned. “No.” Then, he whispered something and I only came up with the words: I, planned, something.

 

“Well then, we should go now. Omma must’ve been waiting.” Bom smiled dearly at Jiyong and before she had completely pulled me away, I grabbed Jiyong’s arm and dragged him with me, so we both got dragged.

 


 

He lends me his sweatshirt or hugs me tightly when I’m cold