Chapter 6

The Perfect Boyfriend

“That’s not fair! You rolled the dice too hard!” Jiyong whined, pointing at Bom accusingly with his mouth full of dim sum and his crossed legs wiggling. Bom just glared at him, muttering nothing and moved her hat piece five spaces from its original spot on the board.

 

“Come on, Ji that’s just monopoly.” I said, and took a sip from my glass of orange juice. It tasted a little bland, because the ice cubes had melted, but then it can still be considered as orange juice.

 

Jiyong grit his teeth at first, his eyebrows raked unevenly and sighed, finally giving in.“Ah, chincha.” Really.

 

“Jiyong Oppa! Sandara Noona! Bom Noona!” We all turned our heads towards the voice. It was my little sister, Durami, standing behind Bom with a large grin on her face. “It’s time to eat.” She said, as coy as how her feet fidget and quickly, like a popping bubble, disappeared into the dining area.

 

Bom shrugged. “I don’t know why.” She said, putting down her fake money for monopoly. “But your sister acts a little off when Jiyong is around.”

 

“It’s the other way around.” I told her, amused that she find my sister acting coy around Jiyong when in fact she bombards him with questions every time he’s here and continued, “She’s shy when you’re around because when she first saw Top here inside the house—last year I think, Jiyong was the one who brought him over to pick me up for the sports fest at Namnam-dong—well, Durami fell in love at first sight. But Top turned her down, saying he has someone he likes, though he didn’t mention a name, Durami felt it was you.”

 

Jiyong nudged me in the ribs, too hard that I wince. He completely apologized, and whispered, “You aren’t suppose to tell her Top likes her!”

 

I sharply turned to him. “Why?” I asked, pouting. “He confessed to her a while ago through a letter, well not exactly that direct but…” My voice trailed off, and I was left staring at his face, but before he could even have the chance to give me a peck on the lips, I jerk my head back and Jiyong’s face was back on opting for more.

 

“Look,” I finally said, gathering my equilibrium. “It matters that Bom knows his feelings. They need to start dating, or the mutual feelings would be wasted.”

 

“I don’t see the reason why you will insist on making them work.” Jiyong shook his head. “I mean, they obviously like each other since we were little, you know the fourth grade thing? I hope Bom told you about that. Well, if they really love each other why would they make twelve years pass without at least giving out motives, or clues, right? I mean, for example, we dated for five months secretly through our homework back at my room—“

 

“That’s not a proper date! And it isn’t even called a date! We were, um, completing the project Professor Rousseau assigned to us in French class.” I cut him off, my face flustered. The reason how we met is very embarrassing considering that it was because of a French professor who liked doing things as a pair so he partnered everyone who attends the extra subject. Then, your partner would be your permanent partner all throughout the school year. That’s when I first met Jiyong. He was cold at first, and since he’s the son of the owner of the school, I insisted that our meetings will be in his house, because I’m worried he’ll not appreciate my house. That’s where things started, I guess.

 

“Anyway, after I confessed to you, and you to me, we decided to take it to the next level and got involved into a relationship. It was just a matter of one year before we got into a relationship, right? If I can clearly remember after the first school year, where we were chosen to be part of the French class, that’s just when we finally dated. But, say, we waited for eleven more years before we decide to get involved in a relationship, would that sound we’re waiting for something or wanted to prove something?” Jiyong said, and I dumbly answered a, “I see.”

 

“In Top and Bom’s case,” He sighed first before continuing, and I was struck how he managed to call them by their names without the necessary suffixes. “It wouldn’t be because they wanted to make sure they really love each other, or waiting for one of them to make their first move. Maybe it’s because...”

 

“Yeah, you’re right.” Jiyong and I hastily turned towards the voice. It was Bom, standing directly in front of us. She had taken back the monopoly back to its usual place. Her hands were on her hips, and a frown was etched on her face.

 

“Look, before I explain, I want you both to know that we kept things from you because we are scared you will do something stupid.” Bom started, and she sighed before continuing, “Actually, Top confessed to me when we were in sixth grade, mind you. We started dating, but only secretly and I can’t believe everyone fell for the reason that we’re just best friends that’s why we act so sweet--and everyone includes the other four namely, Jiyong, Taeyang, Daesung and Seungri. Things were just the way they were until Top’s father introduced Hyorin to him. At first, according to what he told me, she was just a daughter of his father’s friend, and was just another person they expected him to befriend, but when they ate together with Hyorin’s family over dinner, they suddenly announced that the wedding is scheduled after they graduate college. Top confronted his father about this, but he only answered that they have a debt to pay with the Lee family, and they promised a wedding to pay the debt. Top had solutions, he said he’ll walk away with me and we’ll live somewhere far, but I told him we shouldn’t. It just feels so wrong.”

 

Bom played with her lower lip using her upper teeth. “During the foundation day, we tried out the marriage booth. There, Top vowed to me and I to him. No one was watching, because we did it when everyone had gone out of the gym because of the evening concert. There was no audience, except for us and it felt eerie yet romantic. He promised me almost everything. I told him I’ll love him forever. His father learned about our relationship and threatened he’ll liquidate all his investments to our family’s business. My father got angry at Top’s father. There was a big fight, but it never reached the media. Finally, the both sides agreed to certain conditions. Top and I will still see each other, but we will never date or talk if it’s just the two of us. I was hesitant to sign the paper, as well as Top. It felt like we’re being restrained by the government. But then we still signed it, because there are many things at stake if ever we continue our relationship.”

 

Bom’s eyes were wary, stormy and were looking far away. “We didn’t tell you guys, since our relationship just lasted five months. We covered the events all up with lies, but even that wasn’t enough. You all started to make us both date. We were tempted, I admit but Top’s father has eyes everywhere. He can see if we broke our promise. So, we acted like we never had anything before in front of you guys, and it’s not to deceive, but instead to keep all of us safe. You don’t know what his father can do. Only we do, and you’ll never like it.”

 

Jiyong and I were both utterless. Bom’s words kept on buzzing in my ears. You don’t know what his father can do. Only we do, and you’ll never like it.

 

The air felt colder than usual, and the wide chime located at our front door rattled loudly. When I thought that a bomb will explode right in front of us just to wake us three up from our reveries, Jiyong spoke first, which he usually does whenever there’s a strange silence. “Let’s ease everything up on dinner.” He said, trying to nurse back his voice back to its lively state but failed.

 


 

The dinner table was silent, very silent only the movements of the utensils are heard inside the room. My mom looked worried, and she can’t keep her eyes out of the three of us. “What’s wrong?” She managed to say, though it was unlike for her to ask because it isn’t in her characteristics to be nosy. Usually, she let things be and leave it all up to us, and she’ll only help us if we ask for help. She’s like that way, not interfering with our problems too much.

 

“It’s nothing, Mrs. Park.” Bom answered, sullenly. “We’re just too excited for the upcoming field trip that it made us upset.”

 

My mother nodded, and even though she looked worried, she didn’t press further otherwise. She kept shut for another line of questions, and continued in her eating. But Sanghyun was too curious. After drinking down his whole glass of orange juice to push down his throat the pasta we’re eating, he quickly asked, “Noona, if you three are too much excited about the field trip your department will have in one week time, why you’ll feel so glum that you want to your thumbs?”

 

“Sanghyun,” My mother softly calls his name, but there was a hint she’s angry. “Don’t talk to your sister like that.”

 

“Sorry.” Sanghyun mumbled, and went back to eating his pasta.

 

“But Sandara, my dear, about the field trip…” My mother starts, but quickly, her voice trailed off when her stupor darts at Jiyong beside me. “I think you should talk to… your uncle about it. I’m sure he’d be worried if you go away without telling him.” She continued.

 

“I can accompany Dara and talk to him too, O-Mrs. Park.” I heard Jiyong say, and I can tell he’s trying very hard to address my mother ‘Mrs. Park’ so he won’t have a fight with Bom. “I’ll tell him that I’ll look after Dara.”

 

My mother looked worried, and she passed me a quick glance, before turning back to Jiyong. “You should talk to Dara about that, Jiyong. I don’t make the decisions for her, and I don’t like interfering with my children’s problems. I believe, it’s Dara’s decision to bring you with her. But I do suggest you go with her.” She said, so softly it was scarier than Bom shouting.

 

Jiyong looked at me for a brief second, and he must’ve sensed we’ll talk about it later by the look of my face, so he went back to eating his food.

 


 

In order to ease up our emotions, my mother left us in the living room after she had moved the sofa and the center table with the help of Jiyong so we can occupy the big space in the middle. She said we could play anything we want, but reminded us that Durami should be in bed exactly at nine. Before she left, Jiyong kissed her forehead.

 

“You’re earning brownie points, mister.” Bom warned, glaring at him as soon my mother had disappeared towards her room upstairs. “No underhanded tricks.”

 

Jiyong completely ignored her, sitting in the space exactly in the middle of the room and asked, “What are we going to play?”

 

“Darumasan ga koronda!” Durami suggested, beaming widely with her full one hundred watt smile. Bom nudged me in the ribs, and I stared at Durami, hoping she would get the idea that playing Darumasan ga koronda with Jiyong is a bad idea. A very bad idea, indeed.

 

But it’s pointless; my sister is too fond of my boyfriend to even bother looking at me. Jiyong stood up from where he was sitting and said, “Okay, we’ll play. I’ll be the ‘it’.”

 

Bom was the one who hauled me up on my feet, pulling me up using my arm, because my legs felt Jell-O at the very moment. Oh no, my boyfriend is the Oni! I screamed inside my head, inwardly clawing the walls trapping me.

 

Bom continued to steer me over to the other side of the room where a large pink towel was used as the mark of the starting line, while across us stood Jiyong, where the Oni is supposed to stand, facing the brightly painted wall. Durami giggled with excitement beside me, and Sanghyun was glaring at Jiyong. I wonder who’s scarier, Durami giggling over a game we’ll surely lose or Sanghyun glaring at my boyfriend.

 

I fixed myself, standing on my own than leaning towards Bom and gulped. I don’t feel good playing this game with Jiyong as the Oni.

 

“Darumasangakoronda.” Jiyong rapped too fast that I only have moved after he said it. The others, being smarter than I was, struck a pose. Sanghyun had his hands inside his pockets, Durami was doing one of the steps in the gwiyomi while Bom, well, she’s in a stance that looked as though she wanted a fight with Jiyong. I thought I’m going to get caught by Jiyong, but when he turned to see if one of us is moving, just the exact time I moved, I accidentally used the side of my foot instead on stepping forward and I fell on the floor. I wince, my right arm getting caught in between the floor and me while my left hand was stretched, like it’s reaching for Jiyong.

 

“Babe, you’re pretty good at this.” Jiyong commented, grinning widely at me and turned back to the wall. I let out a collective gasp, which I didn’t have the chance to let out when I fell.

 

“Darumasangakoronda.” Jiyong rapped again, faster than last time and I didn’t move. On the other hand, the others moved, but only a few inches and I could feel against the sides of my stomach Bom and Durami’s shoes. Jiyong turned back at us again and frowned. “Dara, why aren’t you moving?”

 

“I-“ My sentence was cut off by my wince. “I accidentally fell down.”

 

And I knew the game was finished because Jiyong left his station to rush towards me.

 


 

I’m the most pathetic person in the whole world. I’m badly bruised. Five dark irregular purple circles marred my stomach, even though my fall wasn’t that all severe. Bom made me take two Advils, and placed a huge ice pack on my stomach.

 

“Someday, I hope you make a book on how to get bruises while playing Darumasan ga koronda.” Bom said, looking down at me as I lay comfortably on my bed. Everyone was there except for my mother, who didn’t hear Jiyong’s loud imitation of an ambulance’s siren because she was already asleep with her earphones on. On my right, Jiyong and Sanghyun was engaged in a conversation about the pros and cons of taking pre-law, while Durami fondled with Jiyong’s phone, playing Starmaker.

 

“You’re not going to beat his high score.” I told her, my voice still tight because of the pain surging from my stomach.

 

Durami looked up with a frown. “He’s too good.” She said, pouting. “He got a perfect score on Maroon 5’s Payphone.”

 

“Well, you should check Bom Noona’s iPod.” Jiyong said, turning momentarily at Durami. “She got a perfect score on all the songs she downloaded, and one of those was Whitney Houston’s I Will Always Love You.” Then, he got back on his conversation with Sanghyun.

 

“I’m going to my room. Come on, Durami. The old lady needs some sleep after falling on the floor.” Bom said, standing up from her seat and reluctantly, Durami stood up, giving Jiyong back his phone. After giving me kisses on the forehead, they both went out of my room.

 

“Well,” I heard Sanghyun say as he stand up. “Being a prosecutor is better than being a defense attorney.”

 

Jiyong grinned, standing up also. “You bet.” He answered, and slapped Sanghyun’s back as the latter make his way towards the door.

 

“Good night, Noona.” Sanghyun said, turning to me and he winked first, before finally going out of my room. He locked the door behind him, and the room turned eerie. I gaze up at Jiyong under my eyelashes that are getting heavy already.

 

“Come on, let’s get you to bed.” Jiyong said, taking out the ice pack from my stomach and placed it on the bedside table. I put down my shirt to cover my bare stomach as Jiyong climbed on the bed beside me, barefooted. He pulled the duvet up to his chest, which made it cover me up to my nose.

 

“Let sleep wash away the pain.” He said, gingerly draping his arm over my stomach and pulled me closer to him. “Sleep.”

 

He inhales my hair, which tickled me and gently pecks my forehead. Even after he pulled out to go back to my side, I can still feel the pressure of his lips on my forehead. Somehow, even without a soft lullaby, my eyelids felt heavy and I drifted into sleep.


He won’t be shy around my family but acts like he’s part of it.