Chapter 8

The Perfect Boyfriend

I saw Jiyong in front of me, his back facing me instead of his face. Slowly, I lifted my hand, and noticed the tears had been strolling down, my body undergoing a slight shock. Why am I crying anyway?

 

It was involuntary, as if my brain had gone haywire and I was left to watch. My heart was beating fast, my lungs were heaving every breath, my eyes uncontrollably producing tears, and my breathing ragged, making every breath sound like a hiccup. Moreover, I felt fear under my tongue, my throat—It was everywhere in my body, and it was surpassing the saltiness of my blood I’m tasting from my lips.

 

We’re on top of a hill, a place familiar to my heart with the wind scraping my face, and making my skirt flow like a flag. But even though it was strong, strong enough to make you move, Jiyong was unmovable. He stood perfectly frozen in his spot, his hands inside his pockets, his hair flowing like veil and maintaining our gap to two feet.

 

“Jiyong?” I had asked, though involuntarily, I still wanted to call out his name. The mention of his name stung my tongue. What is this all about?

 

“Why?” He whispered. “Dara?”

 

I was too lost for words, so I only replied with a sob. He didn’t press me anyway, but I could feel the air pressuring us both. It was as if the nature had made this atmosphere just for us.

 

“Dara,” He called again, but I was already succumbing to the darkness, or the darkness was eating him.

 

“Dara,”

 

I felt a pressure on my lips, and after a few seconds, it was gone. I slowly opened my eyes and saw Jiyong, smiling broadly at me, his eyes lively. It was all just a dream. I told myself, relief passing through me.

 

“What are you doing here?” I whispered, sleepily, but had gathered the fact he’s here early in the morning of Sunday. This doesn’t occur as often as I can remember.

 

“My wifey forgets things easily, huh?” He said, playfully. “I’m here to wake you up. Don’t you remember? I always wake you up on weekends since you always oversleep. Maybe you momentarily forget about it because I stayed last night.”

 

I flashed him a weak smile and answered, “Maybe.”

 

“But I won’t be too kind today as I was the past weekends. You should get up; we have a whole day ahead. We’re going to school.” He announced, a smile etched upon his face, standing up but I’m too tired to get up, and the nightmare still haunts me so I instinctively muttered, “No.”

 

Jiyong looked past his shoulder and down at me, one of his eyebrows raised while his lips twitch, trying to smirk but he had full control over it. I don’t know what washed over me, but I stuck my tongue out at him and covered myself with my comforter. It was dark, and hot, giving me a disadvantage to know what Jiyong would be up to. I’ve never been this playful towards him whenever he would wake me up on weekends, because I’m very obedient. But today, why did I feel to be such a rebel?

 

I was about to take the comforter off me when I felt familiar hands wrapping around my waist. Jiyong rolled me while I was still inside the comforter and tied me up, maybe using my silk ribbon for Phys Ed. He brought me up his shoulder, his arm supporting me up. It was a good thing I’m adventurous, because I only managed to cry out a soft, “Wow.”

 

“Normally, girls on movies would squeal.” Jiyong said, laughing. “You’re really different.”

 

He started to walk to somewhere I don’t know, maybe towards outside, because I felt him steer towards the left, where my door is located. Later on, the only thing I saw was my bed, then my front door being closed. My hair, strands by strands falls down my face as Jiyong takes each step down the stairs. The doors to my siblings’ rooms were firmly closed, so I’m suspecting they’re probably hearing Jiyong’s hysterical laugh right now.

 

“Oh, Jiyong dear.” I heard my mom say behind me, and I suddenly feel embarrassed that my bottom greeted her first than my face. “It’s nice of you to wake my daughter on weekends; it has been helping me with my household chores so much. The breakfast is now ready if you both now want to eat. I’ll just bring this all up to the laundry mat.”

 

“Yes, Mrs. Park.” Jiyong replied, and steered towards the kitchen. I saw my mom’s back; she was walking towards the front door, and even though I wanted to greet her good morning, the words were left unsaid because of my embarrassment.

 

Jiyong brought me down when we reached the dining table, but instead of the hard, wooden surface of the chair, I found myself sitting instead on a fluffy material. Instinctively, I turned my head towards the back and accidentally, I had kissed Jiyong on the lips. He was astonished as I was, but when he remembered what we are doing, he placed his hand behind my head. My head was completely blank like a piece of bond paper, so I didn’t have the time to register what he’s trying to do but my ADHD must’ve acted once again, because when Jiyong was about to deepen the kiss, I had pulled out. I glared at him, even though I know it looked ridiculous because my face was very red and he only replied it with a slight peck on my lips.

 

“Let’s eat.” He said, smiling broadly.

 


 

There were an abundance of freshmen than seniors at school, that’s why Jiyong and I was greeted by squeals and shrieks first thing as we enter the gates, walking side by side with our hands intertwined. I was glad because the audiences were all first year, because they’re not intimidating as my co-seniors.

 

Bom was waiting for us at the Main Building’s front door with her arms crossed, her foot tapping impatiently against the asphalt, and beside her stood Top, emotionless as ever but composed and collected. I suddenly remember what Bom told us on Friday night, and a feeling of nausea rushed over me. Luckily, Jiyong was here to support me up.

 

“You two are a second late.” She fussed. “Would you be at least considerate?”

 

“I think you’re the one not being considerate.” Top said, turning his head towards Bom without any emotion at all. “And you’re too loud every morning. So, who’s not considerate here now?”

 

“I don’t care!” Bom shouted at him, completely ignoring Jiyong and me again. Top placed both of his hands on his ears, but Bom started to punch and kick him, so he covered   and dragged her towards inside the building with Bom trying to put his grasp off her. Jiyong shrugged beside him, and commented, “Only Hyung can do that to her. Really, they’re a match.”

 

I nodded, firmly and we started to follow them.

 

The hallways were deserted, too deserted that the only noise I hear is our footsteps and Bom’s continuous ‘hmm’. The classrooms were closed down to avoid students from coming to and fro, which made the whole building scarier than it’s intended to be. The light cast was dim, too dim for me to cope up with Top and Bom’s backs. I instinctively squinted but failed to see otherwise.

 

“Sorry, I should’ve told father to order the staff to adjust the brightness of the lights.” Jiyong suddenly said when he saw me leaning forward. “He thought that it’s best for the lights to be dim because only two courses would be going today for the roll call.”

 

I my head to the side, causing for it to bump against his shoulder. “For what is the roll call?”

 

Jiyong shrugged and answered, “I don’t know.”

 

Top and Bom continued to lead the way, which I recognize was leading towards the lobby where teachers always announce events and the kind. I started to fidget, feeling a knot twisting in my stomach and my hands were already turning cold. Jiyong must’ve noticed it because he said, “Is the warmth from my hand not enough?”

 

I bit my lip, and honestly answered, “I don’t really know.”

 

Top and Bom stopped walking when we reached the lobby, and the coordinator was already announcing names from the Business Management, and when he looked up after he had read the names, upon seeing Jiyong, he said, “Oh, Mr. Kwon, you’re joining the field trip.”

 

Bom suddenly sprang free from Top’s strong grasp in a sudden move when she heard of the word ‘field trip’, her eyes wide in astonishment and grabbed both of my shoulders. As if I was made from paper, she brought me up and away from Jiyong, but my boyfriend was too strong so our hands didn’t break free.

 

“You forgot to sign up for the field trip!” Bom hissed softly, audible enough for only me to hear. “You even forgot to sign for a part time job!”

 

When realization dawned upon me, I hissed back, “I didn’t know the deadline’s today! I thought it was the day before the field trip.”

 

“Oh sht no, Dragon would freak out.” She worriedly said. “He told you once before he would pay for your expense but you declined, saying you have the money for it. And he still thinks he’s going to have a week's worth of vacation with you.”

 

The professor started to call out the names that have paid for the field trip from the Architecture department, and what’s worse was Jiyong is anticipating every name. Bom tried her best to take me off from my boyfriend’s grasp, but with no avail. I was stuck.

 

The roll call ended with no Sandara Park, and I could feel the disappointment and astonishment Jiyong was feeling. The crowd dissipated quickly, and we were the only ones left: Jiyong, Bom, Top and me.

 

“Why was your name not called?” He asked, softly and finally, took his grasp off from me. Jiyong refused to look at my face, keeping his eyes directed only to the floor.

 

“I didn’t pay. I don’t have the money to pay, actually.” I answered, honestly. “I’m sorry, for keeping your hopes too high.”

 

Jiyong pressed his lips together before saying, “So, you lied all along every time I ask you about the field trip??”

 

“Yeah.” I answered, and closed my eyes. I know where this would lead.

 

Jiyong turned his head sharply at me, making me jerk back in surprise. “Jesus, Daraa! Why won’t you let me pay for your expenses? Why won’t let your boyfriend pay for your expenses? You’re now my obligation, and I need to protect you, aren’t I?” He was shouting, and I was glad there weren’t anyone inside the building anymore besides us and the professors upstairs. Top guided Jiyong from behind, watching every move he takes and making sure he wouldn’t do stupid while Bom stayed by my side, her grasp on my arm.

 

“That’s the problem with you. You don’t know the meaning of boyfriend. You’re my lover, not my manager or boss! Yes, you’re supposed to protect me, but that doesn’t count paying for my expenses!” I shouted back, my eyebrows stitching in between. “Ever since we dated, I have the label gold-digger on my forehead everywhere I walk. I want to let them see that I said yes because I love you and not for your money.”

 

“It’s my responsibility—“

 

“No! It’s not your responsibility! I may be not rich like you, but I know where to stand. Your money is not mine.” I cut him off.

 

“Then, accept it as a gift!” He contradicted, whining.

 

“It’s too expensive! Please, understand your—“

 

“Then fine!” Jiyong shouted, heaving a sigh. “We’re through! We’re over. This relationship is over!”

 

“Jiyong, I’m—“ I tried to say something, but no words want to come out. Through?

“I just used you, okay? I want to feel the feeling of authority, power and controlling someone. If you don’t want to be controlled anymore, then fine. This relationship is over. I’m done with you.” He said, shouting and walked away. I watched him go, and Top hesitated at first before he followed him. I can see the apologetic look in Top’s eyes.

I wanted to scream and shout to my heart’s content, but the words won’t come out and my body won’t respond. The only thing I see was Bom’s face, getting blurry and then, I was plunged into darkness.


He would go to my house at nine in the morning to wake me up on weekends.