Chapter 1

The Perfect Boyfriend

 

I don’t believe in fairy tales, and such.

However, because of my boyfriend…

I started to believe in happy endings.

6:00 a.m., Monday

Let me get this straight, I hate going to school on Mondays.

I’m not your typical nerd, and definitely, not your typical jock. I’m just a normal student taking Architecture at a university here in Seoul, that’s why when people ask me how my life is, I always answer, “Normal.” So, going to school on Mondays is the only problem I have every week, except for assignments. I mean, Monday is always a problem for a normal student. It would normally start as Moooooooooonday, while my most favorite days will start as Fridy, Satdy, and Sndy. It makes me cringe, and mad always.

“Dara, I can’t pick you up today. Tell your boyfriend to accompany you home.” My mother told me after she stopped the car in front of the school gates, and unlocked the doors. Different students were now entering the school with grumpy faces, the same as mine; but one person is a standout among of us. It was Bom, my weird best friend who was standing just a few yards away from our car. To make a short recap of my past with Bom, well, she’s the greatest, yet the weirdest person I ever knew. She would smile when you’re frowning, and laugh when you’re serious; but still, she’s the best-est friend you could ever have. We met on my first day here in the university, and so far, it’s the second best day ever in my life. The first one, well, when my boyfriend and I became official. Why not, of course?

“Mom, I don’t want to trouble Jiyong in accompanying me home. I’ll just be safe on the way, I promise.” I said, my hand already on the verge of opening the door, placed at the handle. My mom looked at me as if I was insane; her lips twisted indifferently and told me, “Dear, he’s your boyfriend. At least make him accompany you home.”

“But Mom, Jiyong has practices every after dismissal. He doesn’t have that kind of time.” I told her, sincerely. Also to give you a short description of my boyfriend, well, he’s the best boyfriend ever, period. We met when we had the same subject schedules one time, and got paired for a project in that subject. It’s the typical love story for normal students; but for me, it’s the best love story. I love Jiyong as much as I love seafood, and I’m proud of him. Though, the time we hooked up, everything changed… completely. I mean, is dating the most popular guy in your school attracts haters? Definitely, a bunch of sore losers, and mad women.

“Okay, I understand. Be careful, okay?” She told me, probably giving up and kissed my forehead quickly. “I’ve got to go.”

I stepped out of our Bentley, the thick humid greeting my skin and stepped foot on the pavement, before closing the door, spinning my body. My mom waved her hand at me, forcefully lifting her twisted lips and I did the same, smiling at her.

“You still let your Mom drive you to school?” Bom asked when I turned around after I waved to my Mom, her hands on her waist.

I sighed, looking up to her. “It’s better than to commute.”

“What makes it better than to commute?” Bom asked, curiously, and we started to walk towards the campus. As usual, everyone was looking at me, whispering things to their buddies, and Bom had to glare at them to make them stop, and also to ease me down because I start to become fidgety.

“Well, it helps me save money.” I said, truthfully. “And not worry about getting soaked when it rains.”

“True,” Bom commented. “But I don’t have anyone to drive me to school.”

“So do I.”

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!” Bom shrieked, when a voice suddenly piped in out of nowhere, and I turn to the back, only to find Seunghyun, also known as T.O.P, laughing hysterically. He stopped when he realized I didn’t shriek, raking his brows. “Aren’t you shocked?”

“Why do I?” I told him. “It’s pretty stupid. It didn’t even make my day go bright.”

“It’s not stupid!” Bom exclaimed, almost wrecking my eardrums, and I earned a slap on my arm from her. “I almost got a heart attack.”

“It didn’t make my Monday better, so it’s stupid.” I opposed.

“Aigoo,” She sighed. “Your Monday mood is always hard to oppose.”

I rolled my eyes, and stuck a tongue out at them. Definitely, I’m in a very bad mood to start with, because my Mondays don’t normally start well, like what I had stated earlier. They always compose of bad hair days, mood swings, and mostly, headaches. Every time I wake up on Mondays, bad things happen. This morning, Sanghyun accidentally put salt on my toothbrush, and I literally vomit because it tasted so bad, you had to puke. Then last week, when I woke up, a poster of The Grudge hanged by my wall, which scared the out of me, and I literally bawl in front of my Mom just to make her take the poster off from my room, because I refuse to do it myself. Then last last week… anyway, you get the idea.

“Anyway, I had to go. My professor will seriously get it to me if I got to class late.” I told Bom, waving my hand. “See ‘ya lovebirds.”

Seunghyun and Bom blushed in a deep shade of red upon my statement, both looking to the opposite sides, avoiding each other’s gazes. I don’t know why they aren’t they dating yet, because it’s obvious they love each other. Bom told me she wanted Seunghyun to make the first move; but the problem is, Seunghyun is the kind of guy who doesn’t really admit his feelings. I started to help them by doing things that would make them end up being together alone, like, ditching Bom at free time; but no matter how hard I try every day, they still act uncomfortable with each others’ presence, and the time would end without the both of them engaging in a conversation.  Seriously, those two are giving me a headache recently.

I twisted the doorknob of my classroom, A-1, and when I opened it, everyone fell silent. No one dared to move, all of them looking at me, and I stayed rooted to my spot, until the professor showed up behind my back.

“Miss Park, would you like to take a seat already, so we can start the lesson for today?” He said, in a gay-ish kind of tone. “Or just stay immobile here at the door?”

“Can I answer both?” I said, trying to pull up a joke on him, and spin my body towards him. Everyone laughed; but unfortunately, my professor didn’t get the joke. Fortunately, his fuse broke and his face reddened in anger.

He tried collecting himself up, suppressing his anger but his voice squeaked because he can’t control his anger deep within. “Certainly not, Miss Park.”

I didn’t respond anymore, and go to my seat at the front, my seatmate Wooyoung greeting me in Japanese with an open hand raised in the air. “Ohayo!”

“Ohayo…”I replied, absent-mindedly.

He laughed with my carelessness, showing his eye smiles. “I thought you didn’t like Japanese?”

My eyes widen in shock as my face redden with embarrassment and realization, and I slap my face as I take a seat. “Oh gosh, I forgot.”

“You’re in a bad mood, huh?” He asked, crossing his arms on his desk, and rested his head on top of it, his head tilted towards me.

“Yeah, bad Monday.” I answered, taking my binder notebook out of the back as my professor started to mumble things about Daedalus, the famous Architect from Greek Mythology, the Son of Athena.

“What do you usually want that can make your day better?” Wooyoung asked, his voice muffling because he had tilted his head towards his desk, his head entering the cavern made by his arms and torso, and I started to think about his question. What… do… I… possibly… like… on… bad… Mondays?

Suddenly, the door burst open, making all of us, except for our raging professor at the front, scream like we just rode the roller coaster ride at Disneyland. “YAAAAH!”

I turned to the door, my heart still beating wildly in aftershock and saw Jiyong, his sweats dripping continuously from his forehead. His eyes scanned the whole room, and when his stupor darted at me, his smile grew wide.

He stepped inside our room, earning the attention of all the students, because seriously, what would a Business Management student do in our room? Definitely none; but Wooyoung didn’t look up somehow, because he had already drifted to his la la land.

He put his palms around his mouth, and loudly shouted, “SARANGHAEYO SANDARA PARRRRRK! I LOVE YOUUUUUU!”

Everyone, including the one down the halls, looked at him ridiculously, as if he was already mad; though Jiyong acted like it was just normal for him. Unconsciously, a smile crept up to my face, as red faintly appear on my cheeks.

“Now, Mr. Kwon, it’s rude to shout inside a room while it’s having a class, is it?” Our professor said, pushing his glasses up, and with this, my classmates laughed. Jiyong rubbed his nape, sheepishly, and answered, “Yeah, I’m sorry.”

“Thank you, Mr. Kwon.” Our professor, gratefully, answered; though he looked more pissed than before, especially that Jiyong interrupted him while he’s doing his talk about Daedalus. No one dared to interrupt him when he’s talking about Daedalus, and so far, Jiyong was the first one. A Business Management student nonetheless.

Jiyong turned around, closed the door behind him and down the halls, he shouted again, “I LOVE SANDRAAAA PARK! I LOVE YOUUUUUUU!”

I saw students from Hotel and Restaurant Management eyed him as if he’s already out of his mind, and one of them, I recognized as Minji, rubbed his back as she whispers something to him. Jiyong nods as she whispers, and creepily, he spins in my direction, smirking like a complete idiot, before muttering “I love you,” with his lips curled up into a pout. Then, I turned back to the front, our professor eyeing me carefully, and continued with the lesson, as I blush in a deep shade of red in both embarrassment and giddiness.

“Wooyoung?” I called, and he faintly moaned in his sleep, a sign that he’s listening.

“The only thing that would surely make my bad Mondays better is my boyfriend’s I love you.”

“Really?” He absent-mindedly replied, and with that, I chuckled.

Good Morning, on behalf of the Administrative Staff and Faculty,  I would like to make an announcement… huh? Wait, hold on.

We all looked up to the speakers installed in our classroom, eyeing it curiously. One thing is running in our minds repeatedly: The principal interrupted while he’s stating announcements? Wow, first time!

Okay, please hold on to my announcement. The president’s son, Mr. Kwon Jiyong would like to say something.

A chill went up to my spine. Jiyong never spoke to the whole campus, and use his name as the president’s, and also the owner’s son just so everyone would follow his will. Maybe he blackmailed our principal, because surely, the latter won’t accept interruptions in his announcements.

I would like to tell you all that…

There was a sudden silence all around the campus, everyone anticipating his next words.

I LOVE SANDARA PARRRRRRRRRRRRK! SARANGHAEYOOOOOOOOO! I LOVE YOUUUUUUUUUU!

Again, my professor eyed me carefully, as the principal announced his announcements in a cracking tune, suppressing his laugh.

There you have it folks, a love confession from the president’s son, Kwon Jiyong. Ahahaha, what a lovestrucked guy we have here. Sandara must be a beauty is she? Anyway, I would like to say that the….

I covered my ears, and rest my forehead on my desk, both my ears and face flaring up.

 


 

He would scream “I love you” down the halls not caring who heard him.