Sirens

The plague doctor's

They woke to the low hum of sirens announcing the arrival of a new shipment of food and other supplies. But no one dared venture out and get the food. Doctori would be crowding the area making attempts at gathering supplies impossible without money. Risking a glance out the window, Kyuhyun looked over the city as the breaking rays of dawn glistened over the windows of the tall buildings.

“We need food Kyuhyun,” Sungmin’s small voice called from the bed.

“How,” Kyuhyun snapped making Sungmin slink back in slight fear. Being without food for so long was making the members cranky, and Kyuhyun’s normal snippy attitude was now tenfold.

“We have to go to that supply arrival.” Sungmin stated getting out of bed and grabbing his clothes.

“Min, they’ll kill us. We can’t pay for the food; we used it all on our lives!” Kyuhyun yelped. Sungmin continued to gather his clothes before fixing his jacket.

“We have no choice, if we stay like this then we will all die.” Sungmin growled. Kyuhyun sighed; he could never go against his hyung.

“Fine, but the first sign of danger, and we are leaving.” Kyuhyun ordered grabbing his own things he would need.

The two quietly crept from their room and into the livingroom making sure no one was awake to see them sneak out. Closing the door softly behind him, Sungmin grabbed Kyuhyun’s hand and made their way down the stairs to the lobby below.

“Min, we need to be careful, they’ll be out and kill us if they see us.” Kyuhyun warned not wanting to see his bunny hyung hurt.

“I know Kyu,” Sungmin smiled making Kyuhyun’s heart beat faster. The duo exited the dorms making sure to stay in the shadows so not to draw attention to themselves. The streets were empty aside from the stray citizens that had become homeless or were risking the wrath of Doctori to feed their families.

“Stay close Minnie hyung,” Kyuhyun whispered dragging the smaller man towards the docks. Sungmin nodded as they crept through the dark alleyways the sun hadn’t gotten to yet. Suddenly, Kyuhyun grabbed his friend pushing him against the wall as a small boy appeared at the end of the alley with a pale look.

“Kyu, what’s going on, shouldn’t we help him?” Sungmin asked curiously. Kyuhyun shook his head keeping a hold on his friend as a shadow covered the boy. Sungmin’s eyes widened as he watched the boy plead for his life as a Doctori member glided forward holding up its hooked scythe. 

Kyuhyun felt Sungmin shiver in his arms as the boys screams pierced the silence. Sungmin turned his face into Kyuhyun’s chest to shield his eyes from the scene. Kyuhyun held his friend close as he watched the demon slice the child’s head off his shoulders silencing his screams and making Kyuhyun choke on his own. He held his breath as the masked demon slowly turned to their direction. He silently prayed that he and Sungmin were well hidden. He began to shake in fear as the Doctori glided towards their hiding spot. As the demon drew closer, another round of sirens blasted through the silence pausing the cloaked figure. Kyuhyun released a held breath as the figure turned around and left the alleyway.

“Ok, I’m scared,” Sungmin cried as he eased away from Kyuhyun and carefully walked towards the beheaded boy. Kyuhyun watched saddened as Sungmin shed a tear for the dead child.

“Do you think he had family Kyu?” Sungmin asked as he searched for a way to bury the child. Kyuhyun shrugged before walking forward and covering the child’s body with his jacket.

“Can you get his head; we can bury him by the river.” Kyuhyun replied looking in the direction of the river which was nearby. Sungmin could only nod as he wrapped the head in his own jacket and followed the taller makanae down to the river.

“We should say a few words,” Sungmin whispered once they had found shovels and dug the child a grave. Kyuhyun nodded before quoting one of his more favorite verses.

“Now I lay me down to sleep, pray the Lord, my soul to keep…” Kyuhyun began as Sungmin cried softly at his side. They were both too busy with the funeral, that they failed to notice the two Doctori’s coming towards them.

SUJU-SUJU-SUJU-SUJU

Leeteuk was rushing through the dorm frantically searching for the two missing members. All eyes followed him dreading the worse.

“W-why would they leave?” Ryeowook whimpered eyeing his hyung’s for answers.

“Why do you think, we have no food or anything. Knowing Sungmin, he went to find some.” Hyukjae stated.

“He knows better than to leave here.” Leeteuk snapped as Kangin tried to calm him down.

“The sirens went off this morning, so a new shipment of supplies came in.” Heechul commented as he leaned against Hankyung.

“Do you think that’s what drew them out?” Henry asked worried for his hyung’s.

“It drew out the resistance,” Donghae said making Hyukjae groan.

“Hae, stop fantasizing about them. The Doctori will kill them soon enough their on the most wanted charts!” Hyukjae pointed out.

“But they haven’t died yet, and they get stronger everyday with people joining them.” Donghae clarified.

“I know, but they are braver than we are and a lot stronger too,” Ryeowook whispered to his hyung.

“Ryeowook’s right, it’s better for our lives if we stay out of the resistance lives.” Siwon said making Donghae pout.

“At least they are doing something instead of hiding in their homes afraid to move.” Donghae snapped making the room cringe at the sudden loudness. Sirens pierced the silence of the outside world drawing the group’s attention.

“Now what?” Heechul growled in frustration.

“Is it a raid?” Ryeowook asked hiding deeper into the couch.

“It can’t be, they had one last month and it’s too soon for another.” Leeteuk replied.

“Then perhaps a public beheading?” Kibum announced. They hadn’t had one of those since the government was killed and Doctori took over.

“Whatever it is, I hope Kyu and Sungmin are alright.” Leeteuk whispered earning nods of agreement from the other members.