Chapter 7

Masked Love and Music

 

As the girls entered Gupodong, they were totally taken aback by the architectural structure of it. It was really fascinating. Hyun Ae's eyes lingered upon the modern architectural styles and designs being used. The Gothic brick steeple, which gives a rather refreshing mixture of Western Gothic and Koreanhanok elements. Mr. Kang was with them functioning as their tour guide.

 

"The interior, meanwhile, is mostly wooden. The intricately carved altar, coincidently, was completed in 1925 and is the handiwork of Won Je-dong, who studied carpentry at Deogwon Monastery." Mr. Kang said as he pointed out to the beautiful designs in the church.

 

 

"Wow! It's so beautiful!" Han Hee exclaimed while Hyun Ae's eyes keep on staring at those beautiful designs in the walls.

 

"This is really wonderful, Mr. Kang." Hyun Ae softly whispered and managed to give Mr. Kang one of her priceless smile. She knows, deep inside her, she felt her nerves calming down. her mind having its own piece of serenity. Yeon jung and Soo Min just looked at her and smile at each other. She slowly walked down in one of the pew. Softly whispering her prayers, feeling the serenity of the place that is slowly engulfing her.

 

"Unnie, you okay?" Yeon Jung asked as she take her seat beside Hyun Ae. Feeling her heart skipping faster, Hyun Ae calmed down her heart as she turned to face Yeon Jung.

 

"Yes, I am. Why?"

 

"Unnie, it's been years since you left Hong Kong. You didn't inform your granny about your whereabouts. You just vanished without leaving a trace." Yeon Jung said.

 

Hyun Ae let out a deep sigh. Yeon Jung's right. She never contact her grandmother. Maybe her granny is dead worried about her right now. But she have to. Even though it pains her, she must leave her grandmother.

 

"You know the reason why, Yeon Jung.."

 

"But unnie.. Can't you forgive your dad? Forget about what happened before..."

 

"How could I ever forget it Yeon Jung? How could I ever find forgiveness in my heart, when they treated me like ? Like a beggar? Like a garbage asking for their love? Tell me, Yeon Jung.." Hyun Ae anguishly cried as she opened up her heart to Yeon Jung, her best friend.

 

"Unnie..."

 

"Hey! Yeon Jung..." Soo Min suddenly stopped when she saw Hyun Ae crying. "What happened?" she asked.

 

Hyun Ae hurriedly wipe out her tears. She doesn't want Soo Min to see her in her weakest moment. She needs to be strong, to be tough, to be cold. Colder as she could be.

 

"Nothing. I think we'd better go." Hyun Ae coldly replied as she stand up to leave but before she could do that Yeon Jung grab her hand,preventing her to leave.

 

"Stay unnie..." Yeon Jung firmly pleaded urging Hyun Ae to stay. Hyun Ae looked at Yeon Jung's eyes and saw the pain in her eyes. She must admit that she is getting harsher, colder, than one could ever imagine. She doesn't want to hurt anyone especially Yeon Jung. She's one of the most important person in her life. hurting an angel like her is killing Hyun Ae.

 

"Do I have to plead unnie?" Yeon Jung asked. Soo Min was looking at them, in her eyes she could see accusation, maybe for hurting Yeon Jung.

 

"What's going on here? Are you guys fighting?" Han Hee asked as she approached them.

 

Hyun Ae glanced at Han Hee. Here's another person that she doesn't want to hurt too. One of her close friends that knows her the most. And Soo Min. Yes, Soo Min. they may not be really close but she learned how to care for this girl. These three girls rae the sisters that she never had. The sisters that she always dreamed of having. The sisters that she wanted as a replacement of her real sister, Caprice. With these girls, she feel loved and taken care of. With them,s he felt that she really belonged. That they will always be there for her. that they will never forsake her nor push her away from their life. These girls completes her whole being. What is she doing? Why is she hurting them? Why is she pushing them away? How could she do that? What's wrong with her? She's not like this before.

 

"Unnie.. What's wrong with you? You're not like this before.." Han Hee asked as she tried to hold Hyun Ae but Hyun Ae stopped her and turned back.

 

"I don't know what's wrong with me..." Hyun Ae softly whispered her answer.

 

"Unnie.. you can tell us your problem. If it's about your family, don't be shy to open up. We won't live you anyways." Soo Min voiced out.

 

Hyun Ae tried to remember when this thing happened, when it started and how. Then she suddenly remember those dreams that she keeps on having, disturbing her peaceful sleep. A voice of the man haunting her.

 

"Uh..."

 

"Unnie, come on. Tell us." Yeon Jung said as she divulge Hyun Ae to spill out her problem.

 

Hyun Ae just looked at them and let out a very very deep sigh.Should she tell them about the dream that keeps on bothering her?'

 

"Unnie,w e know that something is bothering you.." Soo Min said.

 

"Okay. Looks like you girls will never stop asking me about my problem."

 

"So you're going to tell us?" Yeon Jung asked as her eyes brighten up in delight, gone was the pain, doubts and fear that Hyun Ae saw in her eyes. It was replaced with concern, happiness, trust and love.

 

"Yes. Because I can sense how stubborn you girls could be if I won't spill out my problem."

 

"We're here to listen, unnie. Trust us." Han Hee spieled that made Hyun Ae melt. Trust. Those words is what she need right now. They just don't know how the word comforted her.

 

"It's all about a dream that I keep on having. It's always haunting me. And there's this voice, a man's voice that I keep on hearing..." Hyun Ae started as the girls listened to her. She told them about "Lee", the owner of the voice, the feelings that she felt as she hears the voice. How uncertain she could be with her life and with her ability. How it changed her gain back from being the cold "Hyun Ae" that they once know. After telling the girls, they comforted her and hugged her.

 

"Unnie, we will always be here for you. We will never leave you." Yeon Jung said as she cried in Hyun Ae's shoulders.

 

"Why are you crying, angel?" Hyun Ae asked.

 

"Yeon Jung's afraid that you'll changed again, back from being the cold and aloof "Hyun Ae" that she once know, unnie." Soo Min answered as Yeon Jung nod in agreement.

 

"We want you to be like this unnie. We want you stay like this. Happy and carefree. You're so scary when you're cold. Looks like we can't reach you. That you're so far. Do you know how scared we are unnie?" Han Hee said as embraced Hyun Ae from the back.

 

Hyun Ae was touched with their sweet gestures. Now she know that these girls will never leave her. For their sake, she'll try to be happy and care free. The kind of Hyun Ae that they wanted.

 

"I'll try not to go back to the old "Hyun Ae" that you once knew. I promise..." Hyun Ae uttered as she gathered the three girls in her arms.

 

"Promise?" Yeon Jung asked.

 

"I promise."Hyun Ae smiled as she looked at them one by one/ These girls are breathe of fresh air that she would love top inhale. She would love to keep them for life. This time,she'll be strong. Nothing could ever stop her from reaching her dreams, from the kind of life that she wanted. that she's longing. No one. Not her family. Not the voice that keeps on haunting her. Whoever that "Lee" could be,it will never hinder her. Never.