Misjudgement

When Four Thieves Steal a Prince
Please log in to read the full chapter

Minho groaned as he slowly awakened. He tried to sit up, but immediately regretted it once the aching pain in his head pounded against his skull. He laid back down and rubbed his eyes, ridding his blurry vision. Once he came back to his senses, the man observed his surroundings with wide eyes. He was in his bed, however, Minho had no recollection of going back inside to nap. The last thing he remembered was being out in the stables with the Prince.

Where is he? He realized the boy was no where in sight and panicked a bit, turning his head left and right, but there was no sign of him. Forgetting about his headache, the man threw the blanket off of his body and attempted to stand up.

"Don't!"

A hand came out of no where and stopped Minho from getting out of bed. The man slowly looked up and saw Taemin, his eyes full of concern. The Prince gently pushed the man back on to the mattress and pulled the covers up to his neck.

"What happened to me?" Minho asked.

Taemin placed his hand on the thief's forehead, making Minho flinch. "You have a fever." he sighed. "You just suddenly passed out so I took you back inside and put you to bed." the boy said as he got up to go to the kitchen, then returned to the ill man with a mug in his hands.

"Here, drink this. It will help your cold." he said and offfered Minho the hot cup of tea.

Minho sniffled and reluctantly took it from him. "Thanks..." he mumbled and blew away the steam before taking a sip.

Taemin just sat and watched him as he drank, his face expressionless.

If he was able to free himself, why didn't he leave? Minho questioned the boy's intentions as he stared at him. 

"Better?" Taemin asked.

Minho nodded as he removed the cup from his lips. The two just sat in uncomfortable silence until Minho suddenly spoke up.

"Why?"

"Why what?"

"Why didn't you just run off? I was out cold and you were free of your restraints. Any sensible person would have left in an instant." he jeered.

Taemin sighed. "I have a heart too you know. When I see someone in need of help, I don't act as if I don't care. Because I do. Though I was a bit hesitant in this situation, since you did kidnap me and thought of me as some spoiled brat..." he frowned.

Minho scoffed. "If you're so bitter about it then why did you care? In fact....you could just leave right now if you wanted to!" he argued, though immediately regretted it when Taemin folded his arms and headed out the door.

Minho's eyes widened as he watched him leave. "Wait, don't! I- aaargh!" he threw the covers off and scrambled out of bed, but ended up landing on the ground with a thud.

Taemin suddenly reappeared leaning against the doorframe with a blank expression on his face. 

He sighed and ran over to help the man up. "Idiot..." he grumbled as he got Minho back into bed. "Besides I'm not able to leave anyways. The sun's setting and walking in the dark forest would be an act of suicide." Taemin shrugged and stared at his lap, frowning. He had made a large sacrafice today, and though he saved a life he couldn't help but feel sadenned that he was still stuck here, as their hostage.

"You didn't even try to run?" Minho asked. He found it hard to believe that freedom was in the Prince's grasp, and he decided to give it up all for a stranger that tricked him into being kidnapped.

"I did." Taemin admitted. "But then I came to my senses and realized that medical help isn't an option for everyone. I sneeze once, a doctor comes running. A peasant lies ill in bed, and they can't afford to even spare a penny towards a hankerchief to blow their nose in."

Minho was astounded by the Prince's statement. 

Taemin grabbed a piece of cloth from the nightstand and dipped into a bowl of water before gently laying it on Minho's forehead.

"You seem to know what you're doing." the thief complimented him.

Taemin gave him a small smile. "I would hope so. Before mother became Queen, she was the palace's royal nurse. Though she no longer works in that field, she still continues helping the sick servants and workers at home. I watched her as I grew up and learned a lot from her." The Prince's sad expression grew into a smile at the thought of his mother.

Minho sat up and grievously stared at his lap when the topic of mothers came up in conversation. He wished his mother could have been there to watch him grow up. Though...he knew she wouldn't have been very proud of what she'd see now. He was a thief, a kidnapper, and a wanted criminal.

"Minho?" Taemin leaned closer to the man's face, then sighed. "You're fever must be getting worse. You're so hot you're even sweating."

The thief put his hand to his face and saw it was wet. He'd lost track of his emotions again.

"Here, let me do it." Taemin offered and took the cloth from his forehead before dabbing his face with it. Minho turned his head and evaded eye contact with the boy as he did.

The Prince suddenly stood up and walked towards the kitchen without saying a word. He was gone for a couple of minutes, and Minho, being afraid that his captive had left, went to get out of bed again to look and see where he was.

Please log in to read the full chapter