Lady Friends

I Can be Tough
Ji YONG
 
I sit on the toilet as i watch the four girls getting inot a heated argument. The ones who i rememberd from last night are Bom and Sandara, Seungri's girlfriend. I still can't believe she's older than him, with her baby face and cuty actions. Bom is Seunghyun's cousin and she's got long red hair and a long face. Her eyes have that smae almost sinister edge to them as her cousin's. The one with a chubby face and short hair cut suddenly shouts louder than the others and waves a packet in their faces. Minzy, i remind myslef. And the last girl, the blonde who seems to carry a sort of authority with her, calls herself CL, but i doubt that's her real name. Actually, i'm really ing possitive it's not, unless she was hated by her parents. Like, a lot. It's been almost an hour since Seunghyun called them over and shoved us all into the bathroom. I'm still a little dubious about having four random girls dye my hair, but he insisted they were professionals. The girls put a momentary pause on their arguing when Seunghyun and Seungri stick their heads in.
 
"You haven't even started yet?! God, just do it blonde! How hard is that??"
"There are several different shades of blonde. You can't just say "do it blonde" and think it's all the same! What if it's, like, too light and he looks totally cheap?! You can't ruin a face like that," CL shoves a gloved finger under my nose, "With a cheap hair style."
 
The other girls nod vehemently in agreement. Seungri rolls his eyes and looks at me pleadingly.
 
"Hyuung, just choose a color and tell them to do it."
 
They all turn to me and i scrunch my nose up in thought.
 
"Well... I don't want to look cheap, so i'll just leave this up to the pro's."
The four girls give me and approving nod and continue to shove different packets of hair dye in eachothers faces. Seungri groans and walks back into the living room of Seunghyun's apartment while the older man winks at me before following him. I grab Minzy's psp off the counter and begin playing, wondering if this will end in time for me to go to school.
 
******************************************************************************************************
"I think he looks hot."
"The platinum would have been better."
"We should have done the pink highlights. But no one ever listens to me."
"God, Dara, shut up!"
 
I ruffle my now blonde hair in the mirror of the bathroom. I don't really know how to feel about it. It's not that i don't like it. I've always been good looking and the new hair color enhances that. I look like the hero from a manga or drama or something. But that's just it. Kwon Jiyong isn't some manga or drama character. He's not some hoodlum that goes and dies his hair, and skips school, and makes out with other guys in dark clubs..... Is he?
"You... You don't like it?"
 
Bom's voice snaps me out of my thoughts and i turn to see four teary eyed girls. I smile and wink at them, reaching out to take Bom and Minzy by the hand and pull them out of the bathroom.
"Let's find out what the peanut gallery thinks."
 
Seunghyun and Seungri are sitting on the black leather couch and the spiky haired guy from last night is here too.
 
"Hyung! Woah, you look totally hot! Omo, my Dara is a fashion genius!"
"As if, she wanted to make him into a cotton candy!"
"Shut up, Minzy! You change your hair color every week!!"
"Yeah and it always looks great."
"What do you think, Sunghyun?"
 
The room suddenly goes quiet as i address the blue haird boy. Did i say something wrong? Seunghyun ignores the reactions and looks at me carefully. He signals with a finger for me to get closer. What the hell, am i a dog or something? I check myself before the biting remark can escape my lips. I can't forget, everyone in here is a gangster. I walk to him, doing my best to hide my scowl, and let him run a hand through my hair.
 
"Good work. It looks good. You guys were right, this shade of blonde is definately the best."
 
The very walls seem to breathe a sigh of relief and Seungri and Dara exchange a quick glance before laughing. Once the tension is gone they all start talking excitedly and i take time to look around the room. His apartment isn't huge, but it's nice. The furnitur is obvioulsy expensive and nothing looks out of place. There's no dust anywhere. I'd always though a gangster would live in a cramped house that smelled of weed, alcohol, and cigarettes. The only smell i'm detecting here is Pine Sol and that special spicy scent that is just Seunghyun. I let Minzy teach me how to get past the third level of her race game and the guy with spiky hair, Taeyang, is involved in a deepand intense game of go fish with Bom and Dara when the sound of a cell phone cuts throight the air. The others immediatly stop talking as Seunghyun picks up.
"Yobosayo? What? Right now? WHAT?! ....... how many? Deh.... deh.... I'll be there soon. Don't let anyone leave."
 
Taeyang and Seungri are already on their feet and Seunghyun looks pissed.
 
"Take care of him," he says pointing at me and then all three mails are gone before i even have time to register what happened. Bom and Dara exchange a look and then look at me.
"The just happened?"
"Uh, looks like work came up."
 
I my eyebrows but don't say anything. The girls are all looking at eachother suggestively, trying to figure out who is going to say what. Suddenly Minzy lunges herself forward.
 
"Well, since no one is goign to ask, i might as well. So, tell the truth, how did you do it?"
"OMO! Minzy how could you!" CL screams, but she and the other two are leaning forward anyway, waiting for my answer.
 
"Uh, do what?"
"Oh come on. Ri baby says you're just an old friend from middle school who wanted a night out, but i don't believe it. Do you have, like, a certain technique?"
Seriously, what the are these crazy women talking about?! Dara reads my confusion and rolls her eyes.
 
"How did you seduce Top?!"
 
"Seunghyun? Why do you guys call him that?"
Their eyes widen and they all burst into a fit of giggles.
"Omo, that's so cute, he didn't even tell him."
"Ooohh, i think i smell a cruush."
Their all giggling again and i don't know if i'm clueless, or their crazy, though i'm strongly leaning towards the latter.
"Would someone like to tell me what's goign on?"
CL leans forward, an excited smile on her wide face.
"Everyone in Blue has to call Seunghyun oppa Top. Taeyang and Bom unni can get away with using his name sometimes in private, but that's only cuz they'r really close. He's the leader, so he's on "top". get it?"
Bom Takes over.
"So the fact that he told you his real name right off the bat is amazing, the fact that he let you call him by his real name in front of us? We'r just seriously trying to figure out what drug you used."
So he is the leader of a gang. Wow, Jiyong you tard, you really know how to pick 'em. Wait...
"What's Blue?"
"The name of our group. The other opposing groups are Red and Yellow. We do business with Black, though, so they'r safe. If you'r going to be oppa's woman, you should-"
"What did you say?"
 
Minzy stops talking and their all staring at me, shocked by my tone. Oopsies i let my face fall again. But i'm not too crazy about that word.
"I asked you what you said? Do i look like a woman to you? How bout we go back into the bedroom and then you tell me who's a woman?"
Dara and Minzy are starting to look pale and my throat almost hurts from the way my voice is growling out of it. It's been so long since i've let myself slip this far. Maybe i am a little too sensative when it comes to my geneder. "his woman"..... No this is definately an appropraite reaction. Bom is the first to recover.
"Sorry, Jiyong. She didn't mean it like that. She was just trying to warn you. Now that you're involved with us, you should-"
"Involved?" And it's the same voice, only worse. Much, much worse because i can't stop the innocently curious tone that mixes lethaly with that aggresive growl. I'm starting to wonder if it's really me talking.
"I'm not involved in anything but my studies. Don't you know? I'm a good student."
The sound of the last word nites into the empty air like fangs, ripping into the silence. And suddenly Bom is smiling, and her eyes are narrowed in a way that is just like her cousins.
"So, that's how you did it."
**************************************************************************************************
The girls drop me off at my house after the third call from my mother. Honestly, i was shocked it took her so long, it was already 6:08 pm. I can see her standing at the doorway, her body completely rigid and her face twisted in rage. I say rage only because i can't think of a stronger word at the moment.
"She looks nice."
I roll my eyes at Bom and try to smirk. She gives me an encouraging smile and i'm about to slip out of the car when i feel a hand grab my sleeve from the back seat. I look back into Minzy's hesitating face.
"Jiyong oppa, i'm sorry about earlier, and.... I hope we get to see you again. Soon."
Cl aslo leans forward.
"Blonde looks hot on you."
I can't help but smile back at them as a sudden and shocking revelation hits me. I like them Sincerely. Almost as much as i like Daesung.
"Maybe," i say and slip out of the car.
 
***************************************************************************************************
BOM 
 
Seunghyun leans over the pictures on his desk, a scowl on his face. Two members dead and three in the hosptal. No one saw anything. Of course not. I know it's wrong to interrupt him at a time like this, but i'm practically chewing my own lip off to hold back.
"Well?"
"Hmm?"
He turns to smirk at me, pushing the picture away from him and giving me his undevided attention. I'm on his lap before he can even finish putting the pictures back in te file.
"You're not one to get attatched so quickly."
"He's interesting, isn't he?"
"There have been interesting ones before, i don't remeber any of them ever calling your name."
Seunghyun just shrugs and looks away, his eyebrows furrowed. He starts clenching and unclenching his fists, as if trying to grab something.
"He just... It's like...."
"... I've never seen you lost for words."
He suddenly looks at me and i'm not sure if the ability of speech is the only thing he's losing.
"I'll have him."
And his voice is fierce, his smoky eyes narrowed as his hands tighten on my waist. I knew it the moment i saw Jiyong transform in the living room when Minzy called him a woman, the moment his voize changed and his eye's lit up. I understood exactly why my cousin smiled so easily when he ran his hands through his new hair, like he had won a minny battle. But now it has been confirmed, and i don't knwo wether this is good or bad yet.
 
Seunghyun has always wnted things he can't have.
 
And Jiyong won't belong to anyone.