How To Be Bad

I Can be Tough

 

 
JI YONG
 
I wraped my scarf a little tighter around my neck as Daesung bumped me with his shoulder again. Actually, it's getting really freaking annoying. We'r on our way home from prep school and the sky is getting dark. This kid always gets nervous when it's dark. 
 
"Hyung, walk faster. It's getting cold."
 
"I know, Dae. You know, if you want i can pay for a taxi?" Yeah right. Run if you're so cold, you little . He looks at me and smiles, his wide nose getting wider and his small eyes becoming slits in his face. Despite myself, i smile back. It's hard not to.
 
"Thta's okay. We can just cuddle." He grabs my arm as he's talking and pulls me closer. 
 
"So hyung, about the University exams," shoot me, "Did you decide what you want to do?" i don't want to do anything. I turn to him and smile.
 
"Well, i think i'm going to study abroad. I've been looking at Oxford a lot." His eyes widen and his smile grows wider.
 
"Wow, just what i'd expect from you. You're really something else, Ji Yong."
 
Tell me something i don't know.
 
**************************************************
 
i try to be as quiet as i can when i open the door to my house. I don't really feel like an in depth conversation about the particulars of my educational exploits right now. I'm almost to the stairs and i think i'm going to make it. I can practically taste the freedom, i can...!
 
"Ji Yong? Is that you? Come here and talk with your Umma for a bit." My entire body freezes when i hear that voice and i glance up the stairs, wondering if i should just make a run for it. Maybe, if i go quietly, she'll think that she was just hearing things. Maybe i can...
 
"Kwon Ji Yong, don't just stand there on the stairs pretending you didn't here me. Come tell me about your day!" I sigh heavily and turn around. Umma is sitting in the kitchen and noona is making tea. She gives me a smirk when i walk in and i roll my eyes and sit across from umma. i make a big show of folding my hands together over the table and leaning in towards her, blinking rapidly. She purses .
 
"Drop the attitude. How was prep school? You're home a little later than usual. Daesung didn't talk you into playing games or anything, right? Tell me the truth, where were you really?" I try not to laugh as noona shakes a reprimanding finger at me behind our mothers back.
 
"Umma, of course i was at prep school. The bus was a little late today. You know Daesung is a good student, why would you think he'd distract me from my studies?" I looks at her earnestly. She purses her lips.
 
"Listen, i think that it's best you start distancing yourself from him. This is just a rumor, but i hear that his parents have been borrowing a lot of money to keep their company up. Their dept has gotten so big, supposedly, that the company is going to be sold." It takes all my willpower and noona's stern look to keep me from launching myself over the table and strangling my mother. This better wathc . Instead i smile.
 
"Ummaaaaaa don't be silly! You know the kind of rumors people around here like to spread. Daesung is a great kid, and his parents are nice people." She sniffs.
 
"Not so nice from what i hear." My murdereing tendencies are starting to get the best of me and i quickly excuse myself, getting ready to make another mad dash for my room but she grabs my wrist. That smile. I hate that smile. I feel my skin burn where she's holding me and i wonder how hard would i have to pull for her arm to snap. She tightens her grip and smiles sweetly.I already know exactly what she's going to say.
 
"Ji Yong. I only want what's best for you. Wouldn't want you to end up like the Lee boy. Surround yourself with those who will help you succeed. Remember, dear, half of success comes from connections. You just keep working hard and take care of that pretty face of yours. You'll see, no one can take you down."
 
****************************************
 
I wonder how long i can keep my head shoved inside the pillow before i actually suffocate. I turn onto my back and stare up at the cieling, the now familar buzzing in my head blocking out all other sounds or thoughts. That smile makes me nautious. How dare she? How dare she say those things about Daesung? How dare she pretend like she really wants what's best for me? I'm suffocating. I feel like every day i wake up with a new coil of barbed wire rapped around my body. Soon, i'll be so tangled in it, i won't be able to move on my own. It feels like drowning in dirt. I close my eyes amd concentrate on quieting the buzzing before i get another migrane. Seriously, that woman. Always judging people. I'd like to see what she'd do if i stepped out of the prttey little box she's put me in. I wish i could see her face crumble at the sight of her creation ruined, tainted. Maybe i should completely fail a class, just to see her collapse. Failing a class? I laugh at the realization of how ing lame it is that tha's all i can do to rebel. I wish i.... Suddenly i sit up so fast i feel dizzy. I remember what umma said. The Lee kid. Lee SeungHyun. He's the son of one of my fathers business partners. He was a really good kid, a total class president type until he fell in with a suspicious crowd. His parents kicked him out of the house and he lives with his aunt now. He goes by Seungri now. We used to be really good friends in middle school, but i haven't talked to him in years. I chew my bottom lip thoughtfully and fumble with my phone. 
 
"surround yourself with those who will help you succeed."
 
__________________________________________________________________________________________________
 
Okay!! The first chapter! Please please please comment! tell me if it sounds interesting or if i should just stop right now! is it too boring? don't be shy, tell me the truth!!!!!