Two

Only Time

“Good Morning Kyungsoo!” Baekhyun merrily greeted Kyungsoo as he entered the ICU. “So it’s you, me and these four beds.” Baekhyun joked.

There were no patients in the ICU at this time. No one seems to be in a serious situation which is kind of a good thing for them because they would be all in toxic and stuff if all four beds are occupied. The phone on their desk rang, it was Joonmyun who called. A body would be carried to their unit so they need to prepare everything on bed #1. Covering it with white sheets, puffing the pillows and fixing the machinery that would indicate their life through a monitor.

____________________

“Hey,” Kyungsoo called on to Kai who was waiting by himself on a table while looking at the window with the view of the falling dead leaves.

“About time.”

Kai was hungry waiting for Kyungsoo. He waited for 3 hours just for Kyungsoo to finish. Kyungsoo bought them food. Miso soup and rice for him and Ramyeon for Kai. Kai commented on the taste of the Ramyeon being familiar in his taste buds, though he said he had just eaten it for the first time.

“How do you become a ‘guide’ anyway?” Kyungsoo asked as he peered to Kai who was intensely blowing the Ramyeon to cool.

“They said that we were human before.” He said as he slurps the cooled noodles.

“Oh, so that means you’re dead already?”

“I..guess so?” Kai bobbed his head as he slowly slurps the Ramyeon. Now that he has thought about it, how did he become a ‘guide’ any way…

____________________

“Ayo!” a big guy with a wide smile full of teeth greeted Baekhyun and Kyungsoo who was playing tenga on the desk.

“Hey Chanyeol,” Baekhyun greeted. “So where’s the patient?”

“Oh, he’s still at the Emergency room. He sort of became conscious, coughed a few then back to his old state.”

“what’s wrong with this patient?” Kyungsoo asked.

“They said it was a car crash. He was from Sun Medical Center, but his family decided to transfer him here.” Chanyeol answered. “Would you believe it? This guy was in coma for a month now. Whew… his family just can’t let go of him.”

_____________________

“Really. Next time I wouldn’t come with you anymore.” Kai looks really bored as Kyungsoo walks towards him.

“Well, I really feel sorry for you.”

“Aish, you’re mocking me since I’m not invisible to others anymore, plus I’m physically present now.” Kai meant that anyone can touch him now, unlike before that only he can touch with only others feeling a chill.

Kyungsoo sighed and took Kai by the hands, thinking that if he didn’t, Kai would get lost and cry. Kai’s hands were cold, opposing to his own temperature.

“Where are we going?”  Kai asked.

“Grocery. I don’t have food supply for two persons.”

Kai silenced for a moment and then muttered, “..i want those…”

“You want what?” Kyungsoo asked, not knowing what Kai meant.

“What you fed me earlier. Those spicy noodles.”

“Really? You don’t know ramyeon?”

“I…ramyeon? I can’t…remember…” Kai rubs his head in the confusion but Kyungsoo still continues to walk while holding Kai’s cold hands.

___________

“Since you can’t be invisible, what are you gonna do now?” Kyung asked Kai who was helping him with the bags of grocery as they walk back to his apartment from the bus station.

“I’m not sure. Maybe I’ll still stick with you since they didn’t say anything about me not being your ‘guide’ anymore.”

“So I guess I’m still gonna die.” Kyungsoo laughed off.

“You’re not scared?”

“No.”

Kai was surprised because the usual reaction would be ‘Yes’, or his reaction to that question if he was ever asked.

Am I really…dead?