08

Eternally Bound by Blood

Chapter 8

 

.

.

.

 

hot%20chocolate%20w%20cookies.jpg

 

.

.

.

 

Please for the love of God, I cannot bear it anymore!

 

All of her suppressed anger and frustration was being let out as she shoved her head into the sanctuary that was her soft, white pillow as she let out a banshee-like shriek.

 

Stuff eternal servitude, she wanted her life back. The way it was before she even looked at that godforsaken book, despite all its normality and tediousness, at least she wouldn’t have the responsibility of looking after twelve grown men in her tiny apartment.

 

“Jieun dear, if you would mind not screaming the place down because of your unpredictable hormones, that would be lovely.” Her grandma entered the room with a tray consisting of a mug filled to the brim with the delicious goodness that came in the form of hot chocolate, with whipped cream and sprinkles decorating the top and a fresh batch of her wonderful home made chocolate chip cookies.

 

“Grandma, I’m seriously not in the mood for another one of your lectures.” The brunette muffled into the pillow, causing her voice to become nasal.

 

“Oh, then I suppose you won’t want any of the hot chocolate I just made for you?”

 

Not even a few seconds had gone by before she had shot up from her bed, her blood shot eyes zoning in onto the steaming dancing around in circles above the enticing hot beverage.

 

The grey haired woman simply smiled gently at her, whilst motioning for her to take one of the mugs before she carefully settled the tray onto the table beside the bed.

 

A comfortable silence escaped into the air. The teenage girl sipped her drink with unconcealed contentment, a bright smile adoring her face as she munched on the seemingly endless supply of treats that her grandma never failed to bestow on her.

 

“So, would you like to enlighten your grandmother on why exactly you came to my door so late in the evening looking like you could murder anything that even spoke to you?”

 

Jieun’s face was streaked with red as she quickly bent her head down low enough for her to hide her embarrassment.

 

Going to Grandma’s was the first place on my mind to go whenever I have any troubles…

 

Taking a careful gulp of her beverage, she took the moment to think through her next words. “Um, I forgot to pay my water bills so um...you were the first person I thought of who would let me use their shower and…yeah.”

 

Uh huh, that’s totally believable for Grandma, Jieun-pabo.

 

“You do realize that you used the word ‘um’ twice in the same sentence, meaning that you are still continuing to hide something from your grandma.” She folded her arms over her chest with an unimpressed look etched on her face.

 

The younger girl released a sigh, feeling caught out and too tired to try and muster the energy to conjure up another string of white lies.

 

Aish, I wouldn’t be surprised if this woman is like a live lie detector or I’m just terrible at telling fibs.

 

“Alright grandma, you got me.” She held up her hands up in a surrendering gesture with a deadpan look, causing the older woman’s lips to twitch upwards in amusement before the serious look quickly replaced it.

 

She scratched the back of her head nervously. “Recently, I’ve gotten some new neighbours in my apartment…” Remember Jieun, DON’T SAY ANYTHING STUPID!

 

The woman simply inclined her head in understanding, motioning for her to continue with attentive eyes.

 

“And they are constantly being loud and talkative, and they always bother me by asking me lots of pointless questions so I just wanted to get away from it all.” Gradually the tone of her voice became quieter and quieter until it reached a point where she was sure that her grandmother had to strain her own ears to try and pick up what she had said.

 

“Aigo, you got angry because of your ‘noisy’ neighbours? Back in my day, all of the people living around my family were practically doing karaoke every night.” She made sure to add extra emphasis on the last few words, shaking her head in what is seemed disbelief.

 

Aish, there she goes again with her ‘back in my day’ quotes.

 

“Besides, I’m sure I remember you complaining a while back that you wished you had new people to talk to in that apartment of yours, hm?” Her grandma prodded her further.

 

Jieun lightly bit her bottom lip in silence, though a thousand thoughts lingered in her mind wanting to be released. But she knew that her grandmother had enough on her plate to deal with, let alone being aware of her real problems at hand.

 

“You know, you’re more than welcome to move back here if it does get too much for you. It does save you from working those ridiculous hours your boss gives you, and the new school term is just around the corner—“

 

“Seriously, thanks for the offer grandma but I’ll be fine. I just needed some space for a while to cool off and to have somebody to talk to. You’ve done more than enough for me in my life and I will always be thankful for that, but I’m old enough now to fight my own battles.” She broke her silence, lifting her eyes to meet the surprised eyes of the older woman with an abundance of determination.   

 

“That’s all well and good to hear, dear. Now, do you want to stay for dinner or do you plan on going home to face the fiends you consider neighbours?”

 

Jieun glanced at her panda clock on her wall, which indicated that it was nearly eight o’clock in the evening. It wasn’t late or anything, but given that the formerly blue sky was already shrouded by the blackness of the winter nights—it wasn’t early either.

 

Plus, I’m sure that the others would be worried out of their minds by now. Especially Suho and Lay, they’re such mother hens sometimes.

 

“No, I think that I’ve disturbed you long enough from your knitting.” She grinned cheekily, earning a deadpan look in response.

 

“Yah, you’re lucky that I’m lenient on you Jieun dear.”

 

“That’s because you love me, granny~” She added exaggerated aegyo as she fluttered her eyelashes at the amused woman who scoffed at her.

 

“Well, I’ll just be downstairs if you change your mind about dinner.” With that, she patted her on her head affectionately with her ever-present gentle smile as she walked towards the door but stopped to glance back once she was about to close it on the other side.

 

“I wasn’t sure whether you were too embarrassed to say that your monthly pains were the actual culprit of your misplaced anger, but if that is the case just knock on the floor and I will bring you some pills and water, okay dear?”

 

The elderly woman then proceeded to close the door behind her, leaving the girl to wallow in shame as she covered her reddened face.

 

Aish! Of all the things she could have mentioned, she thought my period was the problem? She allowed her body to collapse face first back into her pillow, letting self-pity take over as she balled up her fists into her hair in frustration.

 

Then again, her grandma wasn’t particularly normal nor was she afraid of saying such embarrassing things.

 

“God, I hate my life so much right now.”

 

.

.

.

 

“It’s been ages! I’m done with waiting!” Chanyeol stood up from his seat on the couch as he stalked purposely towards the door.

 

“Hold on, don’t be so hasty Chanyeol. She’s most probably at her grandmother’s house.” The kind leader spoke logically as he folded his arms over his chest with a stern look.

 

“B-But I want to know that she’s alright! I didn’t mean to make her m-mad…” He blubbered, dragging his hands through his unruly set of curls in unhidden frustration.

 

“We know that, Chanyeol-pabo. You’re just so damn curious all the time with all your questions, you got to understand that Jieun-ssi is only human to react that way.” Baekhyun nagged, as he swatted him over the head as best he could with his smaller height.

 

“I only asked her where children came from! I don’t understand how that could be such an absurd question!” He pouted as he sulkily sat back down in his seat.

 

Suho and Lay exchanged a look of understanding as the latter simply patted the fire breather’s shoulder comfortingly.

 

“Don’t worry about it Chanyeol, Jieun-ah is just prone to having sudden mood-swings. I have read that it has something to do with their monthly routines where they ble—“

 

“LALALALA, I’m not listening!” Chanyeol shot the bewildered healer a mehrong, as he clapped his hands over his ears while continuing with his child-like mantra.  

 

Lay blinked in confusion, not really understanding the situation fully. As it was his appointed position to be the healer of the group of his brothers, he felt that it was his duty to be aware of any health issues that their maiden should have in her lifetime. It didn’t help either that he was a curious being, especially of anything medical or health related.

 

Of course, what our dear naïve healer didn’t quite realise when he was studying the woman anatomy the possible innuendos that were included in his knowledge of the woman's body.

 

“Suho hyung, did I say something wrong?” He inquired, a frown playing on the edges of his lips in puzzlement.

 

The male in question merely smiled in the reassuring way he always does. “Perhaps this conversation should be reserved for another time, Lay.”

 

“LALALALA—have we already changed topics yet?” The fire controller stopped for a moment in his off-pitch singing to steal a peek at his leader with unconcealed hope sparking in his cinnamon eyes.

 

“You’re such a child sometimes, you know that Chanyeol-pabo?” Baekhyun quickly cut in before Suho could speak, the light powered male shooting death glares at him in evident annoyance.

 

“I’d rather act like a child than a grumpy old fart like yourself!”

 

“What did you just call me?”

 

“You’re deaf too! Then the name definitely suits you GRANDPA~”

 

“YAH, don’t be so disrespectful—“

 

“Enough children, we’re getting nowhere if you both insist on arguing so much.” Suho raised his voice slightly, which he only did in rare occasions as he kept a cool and calm front ninety nine per cent of the time.

 

In an instant, Baekhyun and Chanyeol halted in their bickering as they shifted their gazes towards their leader with their full, devout attention as they voiced out apologises in monotonal union.

 

The water bender pinched the bridge of his nose in an attempt to push away the impending headache that was slowly developing. It caused brief flashes of pain to strike through his mind. Lay made a move to step towards him, concern written all over his face but stopped when the leader simply shook his head as he took a moment to gather up his thoughts before addressing them all.

 

“It is very important that both of you understand the situation that we are now presently in. We are no longer bound in the dimensions that the cursed book trapped us in, but in the fragile world where humans live. Our presence is not considered to be real, but only a myth and it is vital that it stays that way.” With that being said, he shot a meaningful look in their direction before continuing.

 

“While Lay and I have already studied all that we could of this new world, there is still very much left we have to learn. You must realise the inconvenience we have caused to Jieun-ah, for she is so kind hearted and compassionate enough to allow us all to stay with her. Whatever feuds you may have had in the old world must not carry on into this world, for life for us may seem eternal, however for humans it is considered to expand over a short space of time.”

 

The fire breather clenched his fists tightly as he inwardly scolded himself for foolishly allowing his child-like attitude to continue to seep out and make a mess of everything, like it did in the old world that they came from.

 

Chanyeol inclined his head, remorse glinted in his eyes. “I understand Suho hyung; I will do all that I can to make Jieun-ah’s life easier by thinking my actions thoroughly.” With Baekhyun copying his actions silently.

 

Stupid Chanyeol, no matter how much I try to make Suho hyung proud of me, I keep managing to screw up! And I know that if I keep up my childish behaviour, Jieun-ah will not see me as a man but only as a child she has to look after.

 

Suho stared at him for a moment, before he released a weary sigh as he ran a hand through his hair. I’m sorry for being tough on you guys, but I wouldn’t do it if it wasn’t for your benefit.

 

The healer slowly blinked as he glanced around the room, his attention returning back from his daydream oblivious to the tense atmosphere that loomed around the group.

 

“Um, should we get started on making food for Jieun-ah?

 

.

.

.

 

Aish, stupid cold weather, stupid me for not taking up granny’s offer for food! As if her stomach could speak, it grumbled loudly, causing nearby pedestrians to glance over at her in surprise. She didn’t hesitate to speed up her pace as she ducked her head underneath the hood of her jacket, her mind consumed with appealing thoughts of warm, cooked food.

 

She let out a breath of air, watching with idle interest how the warm bubble of her breath slowly wafted into the dense atmosphere as she shoved her hands into her pockets to shield them from the icy harshness of the cold wintry weather.  

 

The summer nights were usually humid with the warm glow of the sunset visible over the horizon, creating a romantic view for all the couples taking an evening stroll. However, dark grey clouds were accumulating in large clusters all over the sky; the prospect of rain was definitely not far off.

 

I better hurry up, or I’ll get caught up in the incoming rain. With that final thought, she fastened her pace towards her apartment, anxiety building up inside of her as she kept a steady watch on the clouds above.

 

She clutched her jacket closer to her form, as if that simply gesture would bring her protection from the cold as she stepped around a small group of youths crowding by a corner store, their hoods concealed their faces as they consulted one another while subtly glancing in her direction.   

 

 

“Run home little kitty, or else you’ll get into unwanted trouble.”

 

 

Jieun merely waved the voice off, assuming that it must have been her imagination as she set her focus on crossing the semi-busy road. It was not uncommon for packs of gangs to be lurking around the area, especially during the summer holidays when they had nothing else to do with their time.

 

Taking a cautious glance from her left to her right, she walked at a leisurely pace, being full aware that if she were to act like she was frightened then it would most certainly arouse unwanted interest from the teenagers.

 

However, it didn’t seem that her plan worked out very well as a few of the members started to jog in her direction. The brunette quietly gulped as she composed her facial expression to be cool and aloof.

 

“Yo, what’s a pretty girl like you doing out here?” A tall lanky boy, most likely being the leader shot her a sultry look. His cronies let out boisterous laughs, as if he was the funniest person to walk the planet.

 

I really haven’t got time for this; I’m currently walking on an empty stomach!   

 

“I’m sorry, but I’m in a hurry, could you let me pass please?” She pressed her lips into a firm line as she lifted her head up to meet the amused eyes of the male. Every inch of her body wanted nothing more than to punch that infuriating smirk right off his face.

 

“Aren’t you a polite little ? Are you running home to your mammy?” It was evident in his tone that he was mocking her, as he threw his head back to bark in laughter.

 

Jieun scowled darkly, her patience was quickly being chipped away by the arrogance that was radiating from this guy and his cronies. The need for food was clearly clouding her priorities, as all rational thought was thrown out of the window.

 

“No, I’ve just got things to do and the only thing you are doing is wasting my time. So, if it’s not too much for your small brain, I’ll be leaving.” She snapped in frustration, as she her heel to walk away.

  

 

“My, my, it seems our little maiden has some guts.”

 

                                                                                                                                                                

This really isn’t the time for me to be hallucinating voices in my head. She shook her head, as if that would rid her off the strange voices in her mind. 

 

 

“Isn’t that cute, brother? She thinks we’re ‘hallucinations’.”

 

 

She could have sworn she heard the distinctive sound of warm laughter tingling in her ears; it nearly distracted her from her task at hand as she could hear hurried footsteps behind her.

 

“YAH! If you think you can talk like that and get away, you’re mistaken !” She felt her hood being roughly pulled back, causing her to stagger back due to the strength behind this action.

 

The brunette kept her head down, her hair acting as a curtain which concealed her face. Aish, I should have thought more before I opened my mouth.

 

“Heh, look she’s all scared now. Didn’t you know that it’s rude to not look at the person who is talking to you?” Despite the fact that he was forcefully holding her chin up, she remained silent—not giving him the satisfaction of reacting to his words.

 

 

“It seems our little kitty is in need of some assistance, maybe we should help her?”

 

 

She didn’t register the presence of the voices this time; instead she focused on staring into the dark, narrowed eyes of the male standing before her. He tilted his head to the side, as if inspecting her with idle interest before an almost maniac grin spread across his face.

 

“Hm, you’re a pretty little thing aren’t you? If you apologise to me, I might consider letting you become my girlfriend. How does that sound, sweetcheeks?”

 

Absolutely revolting, you arrogant son of a . She wanted to spit in his face in disgust that he would even suggest such a thing.

 

“Thanks for that offer, but I regret to tell you that I don’t go for conceited guys like you who think that the sun shines from their asses.” She said with a sickly sweet tone, accompanied with a mocking smile.

 

His eyes widened in shock, as if he was unused to having people talk back to him. Even his group of friends were snickering behind their hands, causing the leader to turn red at being humiliated by a girl in front of his followers. Heh serves you right stupid.

 

“YOU —“ Jieun closed her eyes, bracing herself for the impact of the punch that would no doubt severely bruise her face. You can’t fight back, remember that promise you made with grandma!

 

“Yah, don’t you know it’s unmanly for a guy to hit a defenceless woman?”

 

…What? Who said that?

 

She heard another voice hum in agreement. “Then again, you’re not particularly manly are you?”

 

Tentatively, she cracked open one eye to see what the heck was going on, only to find that the leader was being held upside down. But that wasn’t the part that made her gasp in shock.

 

He was being held upside down by thin air, his ligaments flailing around him as he shouted at his friends to get him down, but none of them dared in fear of facing a similar fate.

 

“I suppose we’ll have to teach you a lesson for trying to hurt our dear kitty.” The light haired male lightly cracked his knuckles, causing a few of the teenagers to exchange scared looks. Jieun turned to look at him, expecting him to have a mad smirk plastered over his face to match the mockery tone he used. However, his baby-like facial features were schooled into a serious, intimidating stare.

 

“It’s been a while since we’ve had a proper fight with people besides our brothers.” The other boy chimed in, as he lifted a hand in the air, causing a burst of wind of pass by, stray leaves being thrown in different directions at the force of the harsh gust.

 

The leader squawked pathetically from his position. “Y-You’re both monsters!

 

The baby faced male simply smirked. “Yes, that’s right. Now we’ll show you how much of a monster we’re capable of becoming.”

 

No…this isn’t what I wanted to happen. Sure, those guys could have brutally hurt me, but they don’t deserve to be killed!

 

Just when he was about to lift his hand, she could no longer stand by and watch. She had to do something, for she did not want their deaths on her conscience and for the sake of her sanity.

 

STOP! Do not hurt them!” She screamed, as she practically threw herself in front of them, her arms stretched out at her sides.

 

The fair skinned male simply shot her a surprised look. “Kitty, this isn’t the time for games. Please step out of the way, so I can punish those fools for trying to hurt you.”

 

“No, I said do not hurt them. I know that they were in the wrong, but that doesn’t give you the right to kill them!” She persisted, not lowering her arms or stepping out the way.

 

The wind controller folded his arms over his chest, thereby halting the gust of wind circling around them. “That’s not the point maiden, they were planning on doing much worse things to you! If we didn’t step in, you might not have been so lucky.”

 

Jieun shifted her eyes downward for a moment, quickly turning dry as she could feel her heartbeat palpitating at an abnormal rate in adrenaline.

 

…He’s right in saying that. If I had stayed at my grandmother’s house, all of this could have been avoided. But it’s too late to think of what ifs’, Jieun. You have to face this, no backing down now.

 

“I’m not saying that there's not a possibility that I could have been hurt.” She spoke clearly, as she met the eyes of the brown haired male. “I probably would have been damaged beyond repair, more emotionally speaking.” She was not by any means naïve, she knew the ulterior intention of that leader was, but she wasn’t going to let herself be taken advantage lying down.

 

She wetted her lips nervously. “But I reiterate my words, just because they were in the wrong does not give you the right to end their lives for one mistake.”

 

The wind controller snorted in disbelief. “Great, it looks like we’re stuck with a righteous master this time.”

 

Jieun’s eyebrows furrowed together in confusion, what kind of master did they have before me?

 

Looking bored, the baby faced male rolled his eyes as he stepped forward towards the group of quivering males. The brunette moved to stop him, but he simply pushed her arm away as he focused his attention of the group, his eyes turning a blinding shade of white.

 

“All of you will forget all the events that happened this evening, you will return home and will continue to live your worthless lives as you have learnt to. If you should even dare to look at our maiden with your filthy thoughts, might there be a chance you will have the privilege of seeing her; do not forget that my brother and I will not hesitate to kill you next time. Feel fortunate that she was kind enough to spare all of you from our wrath.” He all but growled out, moments later his eyes returned back to its normal colour.

 

As if breaking from a stupor, the teenagers blinked owlishly for a moment before they all dispersed towards their homes, their minds clouded by the order that was engraved in their memories. The leader was unceremoniously dropped to the ground, the sound of cracking entered into her eardrums causing her to wince. But he scampered to his feet as he hobbled away until his figure could no longer be seen down the street.

 

I swear it’s like my life has become some sort of strange supernatural television show, or one of those stupid reality shows where people get punk’d.    

 

The pair of them turned towards her with grins that easily resembled the Cheshire cat. “Now that’s been dealt with, we can now enjoy quality time with our little kitty.”

 

Jieun quickly backed away from them. “Who are you guys?” Fear was evident in her voice as her gaze flickered back and forth between the two amused males.

 

“Isn’t it obvious who we are, kitty?” The light haired male tilted his head to the side, a playful smile curling on his face as he moved to step closer towards her, his companion doing the same.

 

“Well, if I didn’t know then why would I ask?”

 

“Ooh, she is a feisty one brother.” The other one snickered into the palm of his hand.

 

“We are your new demons, dear maiden.” He wrapped an arm around her shoulder, causing her to squirm uncomfortably at the close proximity between them. “Luhan, at your service.” With that, he shot her a cheeky wink.

 

“We hope that you will take good care of us during our stay, and we will do the same~” The dark haired male wrapped both of his arms around her being, constricting her from moving at all. “I’m Sehun by the way, kitty!”

 

How do I end up in these unwanted situations? She wanted to slap her forehead at her own bad luck.

 

“Um yeah, that’s nice and all, but could you both let go of me now?” Jieun deadpanned as she tried to move her way out of their grasp, only to find that her attempts were only futile.

 

“Don’t you like us, maiden?” The girl in question simply huffed in annoyance as she turned her head away from them, refusing to answer their question, causing them to exchange a knowing look.

 

“Well, that’s too bad,” She could hear one whisper into her ear, just as she could see Chanyeol running out of the apartment, his head whipping around in search for something, concern written all over his face.

 

What is that guy doing now? Honestly, he cannot listen to simple instructions when I tell him to stay at the apartment.

 

“Because we’re starting to become quite fond of you~” The fire controller’s face lightened up the moment he noticed her presence, as he began to walk towards her direction. However, his beaming face instantly darkened after a few seconds.

 

It was only when she felt her cheeks being pecked simultaneously, did she finally realise the root of Chanyeol’s anger.

 

“YAH, YOU DAMN TWIN DEVILS, GET AWAY FROM MY JIEUN-AH!”

 

.

.

.

 

Author's Corner                                                                                                                                                 

Well, this was -kind of- a dramatic chapter. Just because I thought it was getting a tad bit boring, and this was one of the situations where I thought it suited Luhan and Sehun best!

Sorry to all those Kris and Tao fans! I did consider them to be in this chapter, but they didn't really fit in with the chapter as much as I thought the other pair would. But don't worry, they will have a good opening apperance, I promise you that~

Anyway, this chapter has been sitting in my computor files waiting to be finished, so I finally got off my and did some work. I'm finally off school for the Halloween break *thank frickin' goodness*

But I still have to do my homework and revision >< School life is just cram packed with constant studying, ugh.

Enough of my rambling though, I shall be going now. Have a lovely weekend guys <3

Enjoy some Sehun gifs, 'cause the maknae deserves some loving too~