13

Eternally Bound by Blood

 

Chapter 13

 

.

.

.

 

tumblr_mef8y73rAG1qh8a8ho1_500.jpg

 

.

.

.

 

The warm glow of the early morning sunshine crept slowly into the darkened room, worming its way past the curtains as it shone brightly onto the sleeping form of Jieun, who instinctively rolled onto her other side to rid her sleep deprived eyes of the blinding sunshine with an indignant huff, pulling up the covers past her head.

 

Ugh, why do the summer holidays always fly by so quickly? I can’t believe I’ve only got the weekend left of my freedom before I start university.

 

Most teenagers her age would relish staying up late, whether it was for sleepovers or having movie marathons in the middle of the night. After all, during the school year they would be restricted to do so with earlier curfews in the evenings, multiple deadlines to be finished and busier than ever schedules with extra-curricular activities.

 

However, in Jieun’s special case, on top of all those problems she now had the utmost privilege of a twelve hundred-something year old demons to look after.

 

She rubbed furiously at her eyes as she squinted them in an attempt to check the time on her phone screen so she could try to adjust to the brightness as 7:34 blinked back at her monotonously.

 

You have got to be kidding me. The brunette could just about muster up enough energy to suppress the urge to groan in annoyance. It seemed that her body clock went against her wishes to have a decent lie-in to try to make the most of her mornings without the unwanted presence of early lectures.

 

Usually, the sound of hushed voices, pans and other kitchen equipment clacking in the kitchen and the heavenly scent of Kyungsoo’s breakfasts greeted her in the mornings. However, she had to strain her ears for any indication of the boys being awake at this time but instead all she received was a deafening silence.

 

They must all still be sleeping. She nodded absentmindedly to herself as she carefully crept out of her bed as her bare feet met with the cold wood flooring. Grimacing slightly, she stepped around her bed towards the door as she slowly opened it to about an inch to be able to take a peek through into the living room.

 

She could just about gauge the various sleeping figures spread across the room, with the distinctive figure of the insanely tall Chanyeol stretched across the length of the couch with his arm draped over the side as he let out the occasional snore. It seemed that the fire breather had pushed Baekhyun off the couch, as the male in question was curled up as he slept soundly on the carpet mat oblivious to the fact that he was no longer on the couch.

 

Aigo, he’ll definitely be complaining of back problems when he wakes up. Shaking her head, she pulled the door opened ajar to allow herself to slide through the gap with as much minimum noise made as possible.

 

She walked towards the bathroom to do her usual morning routines, tying her head up in a loose ponytail before quietly washing her face—which was quite a feat considering how loud the water rushing out of the taps were. However the only response she was greeted with in return was the deep snoring from the hyper virus giant. Once that was all done, she slowly brushed her teeth, making sure not to hurry in case it would cause her gums to bleed.

 

Grandma always used to tell me to be careful, since I pretty much always brushed my teeth too hastily for her liking.

 

On her way towards the kitchen, she spotted Suho leaning against the single sofa chair with his head bobbing forward every once with Lay sleeping with his head on the leader’s shoulder. The devil twins occupied the chair, innocent child-like expressions taking up the vacant spaces on their handsome faces showing that they were still in deep slumber mode.

 

Jieun quietly clicked her tongue but softened at the sight of the quietest pair of the group. Suho and Lay are far too nice for his own good. Both are kind of like the parents of the group, so caring and considerate. Once she retrieved a thin blanket from the airing cupboard, she carefully draped it over their forms watching in content as their faces once riddled with discomfort now melted into a peaceful oblivion.

 

She could only assume that Kyungsoo and Jongin were occupying the beds in the guest room, since they were the most recent to appear which made it fair for them to have the opportunity to sleep in a comfortable setting before they were forced to abide to the sleeping arrangements like the others had to.

 

Shaking her head with a smile, she stepped into the kitchen to check the food contents of her refrigerator, feeling a twinge of relief when she noticed there was roughly enough food to cook for breakfast. The only problem was that it meant that she had to go food shopping very soon.

 

Right, I’ve got the eggs and bacon…there should be some bread so I could toast, hm I wonder whether there’s still some pancake mix in the cupboard?

 

Carefully balancing the egg carton and bacon with one hand, she placed them onto the kitchen counter to avoid accidentally dropping any of the said items by mistake. Humming quietly to herself, she retrieved everything she needed to make a considerably sized breakfast, since she was sure that it had been a while since all of them had a good, filling meal.

 

Right, let’s get started! You can do this Jieun; just remember everything that grandma taught you about cooking! Pumping a fist high in the air, she inclined her head forcibly with a smile as she set off to work.

 

Barely ten minutes had flown by as she easily roamed around her kitchen, working her way through different pans as the food began to pile up, all organised neatly on separated plates looking extremely appetizing to the point where Jieun had to physically stop herself from eating while she was working.

 

Lay blinked groggily, as he waited for his eyesight to adjust before he sat up properly, vaguely noticing a piece of blue catching his eye as he looked down to see that a warm blanket had been placed over him and Suho. A moment passed before a smile quickly spread across his face in unconcealed happiness.

 

Jieun-ah is always so thoughtful. He extended his arms over his head until he heard a satisfying crack before he slowly got up making sure not to bump into Suho as he did so.

 

The next thing that hit him straight in the face was the utterly mouth-watering scent coming from the kitchen, assuming that Kyungsoo was cooking breakfast like he always did. The curious male allowed himself to be overcome by his need to eat as he shuffled quietly towards the other room.

 

“Kyungsoo-ah, do you need anything help?” He called out as he rubbed his eyes sleepily.

 

Instead of hearing the doe-eyed male’s voice, he could vaguely make out the sound of soft chuckles that definitely didn’t sound very manly in the slightest.

 

“Not for the moment, Lay-ssi. Just take a seat, you still look very tired.” Jieun expertly flipped over the pancake, more focused on making sure that it doesn’t get burned which prevented her from noticing the faint blush that dusted the healer’s cheeks.

 

Not even attempting to defy her orders, he was perfectly content with simply watching her bustle around the kitchen, everything from the bubble-gum tinted apron wrapped around her waist, her hair wrapped up in a bun, the way she hummed to a silent tune to herself made her enchanting to watch.

 

She looks like a mother like that. Lay could not suppress the fond smile that curled on his lips as he leaned against his fist.

 

“You’ll make it obvious if you keep staring at her like that.” He jolted upwards in surprise as he snapped his head to the side to see the knowing smile on Suho’s face.

 

“I-I don’t know what you are talking about, Suho-hyung.”

 

The male in question merely rolled his eyes at the sheer innocence that radiated from his brother. “Uh huh, that explains why you have been staring at her for the past five minutes.”

 

Unable to defend himself, aware that he would be lying if he denied the water controller’s words. Instead he decided to play dumb, hoping that his usual oblivious self would make it believable.

 

But before Suho could add anything, Jieun spun around with an eye-blinding smile—something that took the pair by surprise, as she was not usually a morning person—with plates filled to the brim of delicious looking food occupying both hands.

 

“I’m all done guys so if one of you would like to help me set the table and the other could wake the others up then that would be great.” She chimed, walking over to carefully arrange the hot plates around the centre of the table.

 

“I’m sure Lay-ah would be more than happy to have the privilege of waking the others up,” The angelic leader shot an almost devious look at the timid healer before returning back to his default smile when the brunette glanced at him with a raised eyebrow at the sudden change in atmosphere between the two demons.

 

Saint Suho my foot. He wanted to bite out but managed a small tight smile as he reluctantly made his way back into the living room, fully aware of the reason behind Suho’s actions—his brothers were known to be heavy sleepers and were an absolute pain in the  to wake up.

 

He released a weary sigh as he shifted his gaze onto the sleeping forms that crowded the sitting area between the innocently sleeping forms of the devil twins and the mood makers of the group.

 

Suddenly remembering the last time he had to wake the others up, he winced harshly as he mentally prepared himself for what was to come. It’s a good thing I still have my hearing, they all can screech like girls when they don’t want to get up. However, the only incentive for him to keep going was the gentle smile on Jieun’s face and immediately he felt a surge of determination run through his veins.   

 

Let's do this.

 

.

.

.

 

 

Once the food was all devoured, plates and utensils were washed and put back in their original places, it was already nearing afternoon since Jieun had to help Lay wake up the heavy sleepers who refused to get up—until of course they were eventually coaxed out of their makeshift beds by the helpful incentive of food.

 

“Ah I’m so stuffed! Thank you for the food Jieun-ah~” Chanyeol pressed the palms of his hands together cutely as he inclined his head, suppressing the urge to hug her like he always did but did not want to invade her personal space as the brunette’s typical reaction would be to push him away. Plus, he needed to get back on her good side to try and earn back her trust for nearly hurting her.

 

“Yeah, we’d never thought we would find someone who cooks better than Kyungie~” The devil twins chimed in with identical grins plastered on their faces.

 

The doe eyed male made a noise of indignation as he planted his hands on his hips with an angry look. “Well, if that’s the way it’s going to be then do not expect me to cook for you guys anymore!”

 

“Don’t be such a wet blanket, Kyungie.” Luhan cooed, as he ruffled the younger male’s head—the latter batted his arm away with a no-nonsense look etched on his face.

 

“It was nothing; it was the least I could do since I’m sure some of you haven’t exactly been sleeping comfortably for the past few nights.” She folded her arms over her chest as guilty expressions were evident all around.

 

Jongin seemed to be the only one who seemed nonchalant as he leaned against the wall coolly, as if he was currently taking part in some model shoot.

 

“What do you suggest about the sleeping arrangements, babe?”

 

Jieun jutted her lip in thought, her eyes lowered to the floor for a moment trying to figure out a plausible solution which could suit everyone. However, it didn’t exactly help that her apartment was originally meant only for at least two to three people maximum.

 

“Yah, what’s with that face kitty? Don’t frown too much or your pretty face will stay like that!” Sehun added his two cent in with an eye smile, as he gently pushed both corners of her lips upwards. He didn’t like watching Jieun worrying or being sad as it caused a strange feeling at the pit of his stomach, such a foreign feeling that could only be created just by seeing the downcast look donned on the brunette’s face.

 

She released a sigh as she folded her arms over her chest, subconsciously pouting—which made her cuter more than anything else. “That’s not my main concern at the moment Sehun-ssi. I’m not entirely sure how long you guys plan on staying in my apartment, but we need to sort out some kind of arrangement because it’s not fair on any of you to be uncomfortable during your stay here.”

 

Baekhyun shook his head. “It’s fine Jieun. In fact, the way we’re sleeping now is much better than we did before.”

 

“How exactly did you sleep before? Did you not have many rooms in your house?” No matter how much she tried, she could not ignore the curiosity that burned inside of her for answers to the questions that whirled around in her mind over what the ‘other world’ that they were from was like.

 

Maybe if I can gain a better understanding of their world, then it would probably be easier to have an idea on what kind of place they previously stayed in.

 

“No, there were enough rooms to accommodate us all. We may have had a nice big house all to ourselves, but it never felt like ‘home’ there.” Suho explained with a hesitant smile.

 

“Yeah, there was never anything to do there! It was so boring, so we had to turn to other means of amusement like pranking my dear dongsaengs~” Luhan grinned as he exchanged a high-five with his ‘twin’.

 

“YAH, I still haven’t forgiven you for dying my hair you damn punks!” Chanyeol fumed from his spot on the couch, steam beginning to pour out of his ears as Suho moved to intervene before matters got worse.

 

Jieun blinked slowly, trying to process the information as she carefully inspected the fire breather’s hair until she noticed his natural black roots protruding from his scalp. I had an inkling that wasn’t his actual hair colour.

 

“I rather like it Chanyeol-ssi, the colour suits you more.” She tried to play the peacemaker for once, before the argument would continue to escalate further until the ginger haired male would cause her apartment to burst into flames. Suho shot her a grateful look in response, to which she giggled quietly at.

 

“Really Jieun-ah?” In an instant, he snapped towards her with a sudden abundance of warmth and excitement evident in his eyes. If he were a dog, his hypothetical tag would be wagging furiously behind him.         

 

“Yep Chanyeol-ssi—“

 

“Noooo! Say Chanyeol-oppa instead, Jieun-ah~”

 

Immediately he was faced with a deadpan expression. “I have never called anyone that name and I don’t intend to start now, Chanyeol-ssi.”

 

“B-But you’re being too formal with us! Besides, we’re all older than you so you should be respectful to your elders!” He cried out with indignation, comical tears were threatening to pour out as he stamped his foot lightly this time around in case the mere action would cause the floor to crack again.

 

Jieun rolled her eyes at the poor excuse. It’s not like we’re all close or anything, why should I call them oppa? Respect should not be based on age, but rather be earned instead.

 

“Just because you’re all older than me doesn’t mean I have to call you guys that.” She retorted with a glare. Chanyeol opened his mouth to respond, but she easily cut in before he had the chance to.

 

“My apartment, my rules Chanyeol-ssi. Deal with it.” She shrugged casually, before she realised that they had gone off topic.

 

“I’m afraid that apart from the spare bedroom and the couch, there’s no other adequate place to sleep.” She knew what was coming next; she could practically sense her purse squeal in protest.

 

Taking a much needed deep breath to calm her nerves—and to try to dismiss the fact that she was going to spend quite a bit of money—as she ran a hand through her locks, causing it to become more tangled and scrunched up than it already was.

 

“Looks like we’re going to do some shopping today for some new mattresses.” I could also go buy some school supplies while shopping. But, the only problem is deciding who is coming along. Surely I can’t bring them all; it would only arouse interest from her ever nosy neighbours. Hm, maybe I should bring two alone? I could pass them as visiting cousins or something.

 

She could feel a somewhat hesitant force pulling at her sleeve which broke her out of her thoughts, confused she turned her head to find Lay looking at her with his curious eyes.

 

“Are we going to that place with all the food like we did before Jieun-ah?” He inquired, his gentle tone easily flowing into her ears like melted butter. She could practically feel her knees buckle at the musical sound.

 

“Um, not exactly. But there are food places we could go to instead.” She smiled at him before her gaze roamed past Chanyeol who seemed to be hyperventilating, as if he could not breathe properly.

 

“Chanyeol-ssi, what’s wrong with you—?”

 

“YOU MEAN TO SAY THAT HE’S BEEN ON A DATE WITH YOU?!” There was no doubt unadulterated rage was palpitating through his system as crimson stains started to become more prominent in his darkened eyes. 

 

Geez, trust Chanyeol to take things out of context. She nearly rolled her eyes. “No, Suho came along too and—“

 

He gasped melodramatically as he pointed an accusing finger at his hyung. “SUHO-HYUNG, I EXPECTED AS MUCH FROM EXO-M, BUT I DID NOT THINK FOR A SECOND YOU WOULD BETRAY US LIKE THAT!”

 

This time however, Jieun could not suppress the urge to face palm her forehead.

 

“It’s not what you think Chanyeol! We were just going food shopping!” Suho protested, trying to bring back some sense into this illogical situation.

 

Oh, food shopping. Is that what these humans call it these days?” Luhan elbowed the blushing leader teasingly.

 

“Well, if it’s like that, then I want to go on a date with you, babe.” Jongin stated straight-forwardly, wrapping a protective arm over her shoulders with his cocky grin making another appearance to which she merely shrugged off coldly.

 

“Count me in too! I wanna go on a date with Jieun-ah~” Chanyeol waved a hand in the air enthusiastically.

 

“Don’t forget us too, kitten~”

 

“Hm, I guess this would be a good opportunity to broaden my knowledge of cooking.”

 

Jieun felt all sanity must have been completely thrown out of the window at this point.

 

“Guys, as much as I would like to show you around being that most of you have never really had the chance to explore the outside world, I can’t bring all of you with me.” She tried to stress out with an exasperated look etched on her face. 

 

Immediately, silence eluded into the atmosphere as death glares were being shot in all directions.

 

And for a moment, Jieun could finally enjoy the peace and quiet to gather up her thoughts. However, it was short-lived as it all seemed to explode instantaneously.

 

“If anyone should accompany my Jieun, it should be her soul mate.” Jongin snarled.

 

“WHO ARE YOU TO SAY SHE’S YOUR SOUL MATE, YOU BRAT?”

 

“Besides, she hasn’t even accepted you yet. You got rejected Jongin! R-E-J-E-C-T-E-D~”

 

“I’m your favourite right maiden? So I should go on this date with you~” Sehun took this opportunity to hug her as he shamelessly nuzzled his face into her tresses.

 

“YAH, MAKANE GET YOUR FILITY PAWS OF MY JIEUN-AH.”

 

Oh Lord, give me strength.

 

.

.

.

 

Author's Corner                                                                                                                                                

Well, this turned out to be more of a filter chapter than anything else. But I hope you guys liked it?

As much as it pains me to say/write it, this will probably be my last update until January... Well, maybe. No seriously, I've gotta get more work done before the January exams start. 

Aish, I'm such a slacker sometimes. 

But I'm lucky to have such supportive, understanding readers. So thanks guys! :)

So, I haven't got much to say this time, apart from the fact I did my assessment test for a University I applied to last week, so I hope I get good news from them! :D 

*Try to* stay healthy and safe guys <3 If I don't update anything in the month, then I wish you all *a very early* Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year~~ I hope you all enjoy the special day with your closest friends and family! :D

tumblr_mef8nvriz91rut2xao1_r1_500.jpg