21

Eternally Bound by Blood

 

 

Chapter 21

 

 

 

 

 

tumblr_msc5zdlhHb1r8idh1o1_500.gif

 

 

 

.

.

.

 

 

The tapping of her pen against her notepad and the occasional scribble of a sudden burst of thought that came to her mind was the only lingering sounds in her bedroom as she tried to compose an essay for her latest assignment. She had not even realised how late it had gotten, the light from outside had gradually dimmed until the room had darkened besides from the small glow provided by her small lampshade on her desk.

 

I feel like I’m missing something here…Jieun furrowed her eyebrows, scanning through the dozens of notes that littered her desk, small patches of anxiety played around in her mind as she tried to search for the paper she needed. Where’s that paper I was just looking at?

 

From the moment she had arrived home, she had shuffled into her bedroom without uttering a single word, fatigue gnawing at her body yet she still had yet to finish off the assigned work from one of her lecturers, one of whom did not look kindly on those students who did not achieve above the average grade standards. It didn’t help either that the same lecturer took no more pleasure than setting the deadline for these assignments for just one day to complete, sometimes if she was in a good mood, she would allow two days. And that itself was very rare indeed.

 

“…Jieun-ah, you haven’t eaten anything since you got back, do you want me to make you a snack?” She had barely caught onto the soft voice calling from her shut—and locked, she may have been fooled once but none of them were innocentdoor, the brunette stifled a yawn as she quickly jotted down a quick note in the margin to add in later before she forgot it. There was the constant worry of her work not being good enough for her devil-like lecturer’s exceptionally—and seemingly impossible at times—standards. She needed to get this right.

 

“I’m fine, don’t worry about me Kyungsoo. If you’re hungry, feel free to make yourselves food.” Was her monotonous response, unable to feign a sense of life into her words as her attention returned solely onto her work once more. I need to get this done…even if I can’t stand that that witch of a teacher, making me stressed over one single piece of work, aish.

                                                                                                         

For a moment, the presence remained at the foot of her door, their shadow the only indication of that before it eventually disappeared but she did not take note of that. She had pushed aside any feeling of hunger and exhaustion to the back of her concerns list. It was nearly the weekend, there was no harm in making a few sacrifices until Saturday when she could pig out and sleep as much as she liked.

 

Just a few more paragraphs and I am done, thank God. She could barely retain the feeling of relief that the torture was nearly over.

 

But of course, her suspicions of a disturbance had come true. It was far too quiet not to think something was going to happen. In a matter of what it seemed like seconds, her door had slammed open, thus sending the lock flying across the room until it hit the wall just above her head, leaving an imprint as the metal object laid broken beyond repair on her desk.  

 

Those idiots couldn’t even wait ten more minutes.

 

The brunette felt a rush of wind sweep near her; an arm wrapped itself around her shoulders thus startling her which caused her to drop her pen. The owner of the said arm in question leaned closer to press a kiss to her head, murmuring softly into her ear.

 

“Jieun baby, you need to eat something. Here, come to the kitchen and your oppa will make you anything you want.”

 

“I’m not hungry, Baekhyun.” She tried to push him away, but just at that very moment, her stomach decided to embarrass her as it let out a low audible growl, silence eluded into the atmosphere which left more than enough time for Jieun to feel her face heat up rapidly. Aish…of all the times.

 

Instead of hearing amused laughter from him, the light demon lifted her up to her feet with ease, grabbing her hand gently as he led her out of the darkness infested room, but of course with his demon speed this occurred in a matter of seconds. The petite girl let out a noise of protest, tugging on her hand back as she glanced back towards her unfinished work.

 

“Baekhyun, let go of me right now!” She growled out, not at all appreciating being pulled around against her will, it didn’t help either that she had a deadline hanging over her head for tomorrow. Perhaps if she didn’t stress herself out, she would have acted much calmer.

 

By the time he was starting to let go of her hand as a result of the forced command, they were already in the kitchen where the rest of the group seemed to be congregating. She was about to question their motives when her gaze caught the dining table and the words immediately died before they had the chance to be spoken. It was arranged simply but all it took was the scent each of the food emitted for her to take it all, why they had been so religiously quiet all this time—especially when she had suspected that at least one or two of them would have made an attempt to barge into her room, hence the locked door…which could now no longer lock—it was a mystery itself that she could not smell the fumes of the delicious looking food before her.

 

“We didn’t really know what food you eat, but we found a recipe book in your bookshelf so we tried to make a few of them. We’ll return all the food we used as soon as we can, Jieun.” Chen displayed her trusty recipe book that had helped her during the first few weeks of settling into her apartment, of course her grandma’s cooking helped with the few occasions that she was far too lazy to cook, but she couldn’t help but feel touched at the effort they put into making the food.  Suddenly, all the emotions of annoyance seeped away only to be replaced with guilt. She averted her eyes to the ground for a moment, unsure of what the right words were to say.

 

“There’s no need to look like that, we know that you’ve got to study and work but you need to make sure you take a break once in a while, we can feel when you’ve exhausted all of your energy out Jieun-ah.” Suho shot her a knowing look as he pulled out a chair for her, she could not have felt more grateful at that very moment to see his trademark smile back on his face. The transition between his demon possessing him and returning back to normal had been quite slow, for what it seemed the longest time himself and Lay remained aloof whenever they were around her, and for that reason she could not stop the beaming smile that blossomed across her face at the sight of the two demons that were into her life.

 

“Now take a seat and indulge in the delicious tastes of our cooking for you, kitten.” Luhan winked at her from the other side of the table.

 

“I’m sitting next to Jieu—“ Sehun was just about to claim the seat to the left of Jieun when Chanyeol had actually snarled at him. If the maknae had dog ears, she had no problem in imaging that they would have flattened in a second.

 

“Don’t even think about it.” The fire demon rumbled out, his deep voice that used to tingle with affection and a child-like essence was now devoid of any of that and was replaced with a no--taking, sombre tone that Jieun would have never have associated with the Chanyeol she knew…or at least the one she had gotten to know.

 

“No need to be shy, Jieun baby. We’re still the same people…just a bit tweaking here and there, don’t you like the new us? We could stay like this if you wanted.” Baekhyun glanced at her with a subtle hint of suggestiveness.

 

“There was nothing wrong with how you were before though.” The brunette in question shrugged her shoulders.

 

She heard a scoff in disbelief to her left. “Yeah of course that’s what you thought, you didn’t think my host was annoyingly childish or my brother to be boringly quiet?”

 

“We aren’t having this conversation now. Jieun needs to relax, the only thing you’re both doing is raising her blood pressure levels.” Kris exerted his natural authority with a single stern look, nodding towards the quiet girl as everyone got settled in by the table, once again the odd chairs made another entrance as they all squished together. Much like an overly big, not so much happy yet dysfunctional family.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“What about your test Baekhyun?” Xiumin raised the question up once the majority of the food was consumed, piping up everyone’s attention. Each of the demons, according to the book, had the power to choose whatever test as a ritual to determine whether or not they would ultimately accept Jieun as their master, though she wasn't fond of the term. Some, more than others, took it seriously…Baekhyun on the other hand, not so much.

 

The light demon shrugged his shoulders with an easy-going grin. “I already acknowledge her as my soul mate, so I think that answers the question.”

 

“You know this isn’t some joke. You, like everybody else at this table, has to fulfil the test ritual regardless of whether or not you’ve accepted Jieun, Baekhyun.” Suho shook his head, motioning with his fingers to refill the brunette’s nearly empty drink cup.

 

“I never joke when my Jieun baby’s concerned.” Although he was grinning akin to the joker, his lips faltered slightly for a second, but that was enough to indicate that the leader had successfully struck a nerve.

 

“Then pick a test and be done with it.”

 

“Repeat after me, we’ll do a quick run through first, Jieun baby.” The petite girl in question shot him a deadpan expression, not at all pleased with the nickname, though much to her dismay he seemed eager to keep calling her that…affectionate pet name.

 

“My favourite demon in the world is Baekhyun oppa—“

 

“No.” He pouted at her instantly, to which she rolled her eyes in response as she leaned her fist against her cheek with a dry look. It was as if he had switched personalities with Chanyeol…who the latter had changed into she would rather not find out.

 

“I like bacon, five times.” Jieun turned her head to raise an eyebrow at such a strange request, she was a lover of eating meat—that itself was no secret. The brown haired male merely smiled secretively at her, motioning for her to repeat the words, eventually after a few seconds of scepticism had passed she released a sigh but nevertheless complied.

 

“Now say I love bacon, another three times but say it faster.” He ushered her, his smile remained steady as she once again copied his words without thinking much of it. Her logical was the quicker she got whatever this was over with, the sooner she could dig into her food, her main priority in this matter was heavily swayed by the heavenly scent of the food wafting from just a few inches away from her.  

 

He lifted up one finger, his eyes suddenly turned serious but her attention was naively focused on the food to even notice. “You only need to say this once. I love Baekhyun oppa.”

 

“I love Baekhyun oppa…?” It started off as a simple statement, she did not even put any thought into what she was saying, which led to those four specific words spilled out of like a sieve. Her eyes widened in realization, she whirled around to shoot him an accusatory stare.

 

“There, now she’s passed my test.” And with that, he looked like a cat that had gotten the cream.

 

 

“…You sly bastard.”

 

 

.

.

.

 

 

 

 

You could say that having a near-death experience had changed the way Jieun viewed various things, they didn’t necessarily have to be complex matters—just simply to not take anything too seriously, treasure the precious people in your life and to treat everyday like it is your last.

 

“Jieun noona! Why haven’t you visited in such a long time?” Dongmin was the first to run to her side the moment she entered through the playroom doors, the boy practically clinging to her waist with his big eyes staring up at her. The brunette allowed a good-natured smile to grace her face as she ruffled his hair, the rest of the children began to crowd around her with bright grins adoring their faces. Just a few feet behind her, Kris stood by the doors with a stern look, looking out of place in the children’s playroom.

 

“Now, now children, let’s give Jieun-ssi some space, hm?” The elderly nurse called out, planting her hands onto her hip with a gentle look as a few voiced out their protests. “I’m sure if you behave nicely, she’ll help you out with the arts and crafts.” Albeit reluctantly, the horde of kids branched off into various parts of the room, though a few managed to stray back towards Jieun when the nurse wasn’t looking as they pulled Jieun closer to the table where the rainbow coloured crayons and pencils laid sprawled over the blank paper sheets.

 

Dongmin followed like an obedient puppy, casting brief glances over his shoulder towards the door. “Is Chanyeol hyung on his way? He promised to help me out with drawing a dragon, Jieun noona.” The brunette straightened her back suddenly; her eyes grew somber for a moment before she kneeled down to meet his curious brown pools.

 

“I’m afraid that Chanyeol couldn’t make it today…” Her heart nearly broke at the instant disheartened expression that took up the formerly hopeful look on his face. “Come on now, where’s the smile that I love to see on your face? Then I guess that…” She lifted one eyebrow as she subtly moved closer until she started to tickle him, ever so oblivious. “I’ll have to tickle you until you smile!”

 

The six year old fell onto his back onto the carpet, his eyes squeezed shut as he let out peals of laughter in surprise; he was too distracted by the invading hands to even give his problem a second thought. He weakly swatted her hands before she relented, drawing her hands back to her side with a cheeky smile. Subconsciously, the blond leader felt his lips twitch upwards at the sight; he blinked for a moment as he tried to control the strange emotion swelling up inside him.

 

“You—could—have at—warned—me first—Jieun noona…” He wheezed out, pausing a few seconds in between to take short breaths. Once she helped the panting boy to his feet, she searched the table for his work amongst the papers; it took a few seconds until she found the start of the dragon drawing with Dongmin’s name on the top right hand corner.

 

“I’m not all that good with drawing, but I’ll do my best to sketch the coolest dragon ever.” She picked up a pencil, trying to picture in her mind how to go about drawing the creature.

 

“Jieun noona, is that your boyfriend?” One of the girls, Suzy pulled lightly on her sleeve, her inquisitive eyes trailed from the older woman to the towering figure that was staring down one child that was unfortunate to have caught his eye. The brunette nearly released a sigh as she explained to the little girl that he was just simply a friend, though she didn’t seem entirely convinced or perhaps it was just disappointment? Jieun didn’t know for sure.

 

Though, what she did know was that in the current state they were in, Baekhyun and Chanyeol were unable to accompany her like they usually did when she visited. The light demon wanted nothing more than to cling onto her side without letting go, she had stopped taking whatever came out of his mouth seriously after having to endure the amount of corny chat-up lines that you would expect to hear from the average Disney film. Chanyeol…they children would not even be able to recognize him from his usual hyperactive self to his now transformed darker demon condition.

 

“Kris,” She called the lanky male over sensing his discomfort, causing a somewhat relived expression fly across his face. Once he strayed over towards the table no longer did the children’s eyes follow him once their interest diminished, returning back towards whatever they were doing.

 

“Dongmin, this is a friend of mine and Chanyeol’s. He likes dragons too.” She added with a twinkle in her eye, an amused smile playing at the corners of her lips. The blond demon’s poker face fell, only to be replaced with an incredulous look.

 

 

 

 

“That was the only thing you took from my profile?”

 

 

 

 

 

Just watch and see. The brunette smiled secretively. Instantaneously, the six year old eyes lit up as he whirled around to face the confused leader. “Really? Oh that’s so cool! Do you think you could teach me how to draw them—can I call you Kris hyung?—and make them breath fire and—“

 

“Whoa now, speak more slowly Dongmin. You know what the nurses said about getting yourself too worked up, your body won’t be able to take so much excitement in one go.” Jieun chuckled at his disheartened face, leaning forward slightly to ruffle his hair before she turned towards the silent demon. “Kris, would you mind helping him? You don’t have to if you don’t want to.”

 

For a moment, he looked baffled, as if he didn’t know the right way to respond in this situation. But, he quickly composed himself as he looked back towards the hopeful—she could have sworn she saw stars in his eyes—child. She didn’t really know what to expect him to say, but it certainly wasn’t what he had uttered next.

 

“Well…not to brag or anything, but I am an amazing artist when it comes to drawing.”

 

It wasn’t even five minutes later when Jieun had realized that Kris may have many other countless talents…the places he did lack in definitely included drawing, the ‘dragon’ looked lopsided, out of proportion and distinctively came across like more of a sheep than a fire breathing menace of a beast that she assumed dragons would look like. Though, she couldn’t bring herself to let him know this minor fact as she watched the beaming pair draw their own version of a ‘masterpiece’. Just when I thought this guy was so serious. The petite girl allowed a small smile to grace her features as she shook her head. Once again, I have been rightfully corrected.

 

 

.

.

.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Looks like little Miss Jieun's having too much fun with those that are mine.” Pink eyes glared apathetically towards the mirror, her lips pursed together in distain.

 

“What are your orders, Mistress?” A voluptuous blonde woman stared towards the petite girl who appeared no older than a child, thought that itself was purely trickery of a few dark magic spells to keep intact her mortality.

 

Red delicate lips twitched into a deadly smirk. “I think it should be appropriate to meet this meddlesome girl ourselves…and once we’ve got her exactly we want her, I’ll take the greatest pleasure in tearing that smile right off her face.”

 

“If that is what you wish, Mistress, then that is what shall be done.”

 

 

.

.

.

 

 

a u t h o r ... n o t e s 

 

Aaaaaaah. You probably thought it was over after the drawing part didn't you? Yeah me too.     Apologises in advance, I'm not very awake at the moment...

I don't know what happened with that, all I know is that I needed to get Kris thinking he's an amazing artist in this story. It needed to be done. Now you know why I used that gif at the top. Yes.

There's lots of cheese in this chapter, I know that, I kept cringing when I was writing, especially at the beginning, damn you Baekhyun for being so greasy

 

tumblr_mu8ufihKzj1r3xllho5_250.giftumblr_mu8ufihKzj1r3xllho7_250.giftumblr_mu8ufihKzj1r3xllho8_250.gif

 

I can't even look at you right now. 

 

Anyway, I have updated after like a month...you guys know how stupid school gets. And I was going through a rough patch this week, but I'm all better :D And that's the main thing, I was just thinking of you lovely people, especially you new subscribers where the heck did you guys come from? Please, no uterus jokes there...Ugh, I don't even feel awake right now. Once I read over this tomorrow when I'm more awake...I'll be wondering what was going through my mind at that point. 

But seriously like, I can never express how grateful I am that you guys can sit through reading this (whether it's going through it over and over again, I admit tho when an author doesn't update, like if it's my favourite or whatever I'll keep reading until its updated, like srsly...and still be here. I promise I'll go back over the comments from the last chapter and answer them with love and all that jazz

So yup. That's it from me. 

 

oH and before I go, here's some Zelo for you guys, cause you can never had enough Zelo.

who's missing this guy? Hm anyone?

 

tumblr_mjx7t62vi81qzh5sno1_250.giftumblr_mjx7t62vi81qzh5sno2_250.gif

 

Oh, I'm jumping on the bandwagon here, but anyone got KakaoTalk? 

 

Suga in a maid costume...I can't even.

tumblr_mu07oic25S1spoawio1_250.gif

 

 

oKAY I'm going now