14

Eternally Bound by Blood

 

Chapter 14

 

.

.

.

 

tumblr_mi3gl9weI41qc8k9xo1_250.gif

 

.

.

.

 

Jieun suppressed the urge to face palm her forehead for the umpteenth time that morning. Why she ever agreed to let these children come along with her slipped her mind completely.

 

I only came here to purchase mattresses and they automatically assume that the shop is one massive sleepover. She pinched the bridge of her nose in an attempt to prevent the impending headache beginning to form in the temple of her head.

 

“Jieun-ah~ I found what I wanted!” Chanyeol, being the overgrown child he was, screamed a few feet away from her, bouncing on the bed of his choice as he did so with a bright grin gracing his features. Given that he owned an unusually baritone voice, he caught a few of the female workers off guard for a moment. If this were in any other situation, the brunette might have laughed at that.

 

But they were currently in the public domain, where anyone could see them. Specifically with her.

 

“Yah, stop acting like a brat and get down here.” Baekhyun fixed a glare in the fire breather’s direction, his patience evidently beginning to dwindle.

 

“I just wanted to show Jieun the bed I wanted—“
 

“Yeah, yeah Chanyeol. I’m sure you could have done that like a normal human.” She hissed, fully aware of the disapproving looks she was receiving from the shop owners and shoppers alike.

 

“Yah kitty, we want that.” Luhan spoke in the most serious voice as he pointed over to the king sized bed with a price tag with enough figures that made her jaw drop in a stupor with Sehun bobbing his head in agreement as he casually slung an arm over her shoulders.

 

“There’s enough room for the three of us.” He purred into her ear, a Cheshire cat grin playing at the corners of his lips as he shamelessly nuzzled his nose into the crook of her neck. 

 

“B-But Sehunnie, I thought I was enough for you.” The blond male staggered back with a look of heartache engraved on his face, his hand gripping onto his shirt where his heart was. 

 

Instantly Sehun released his binding hold on her—thankfully—allowing her time to scurry away in embarrassment on being associated with them. The pair commenced their usual scene of ‘boy love’ as if completely forgetting about her existence altogether which made nearby girls swoon at the sight.

 

This was the last time she was going to allow them to shop with her.

 

“I’m really sorry for this; we’ll just pay for the items and leave.” The evidently overworked girl informed the nearest worker, who shot her a look that could only be described as sympathetic.

 

“Jieun-ah, we’ve picked what we wanted.” Suho raised his hand to reveal a sleeping bag that could possibly been one of the cheapest options in the shop. Lay tagged along with a similar looking item that looked suspiciously like it had rainbows printed on it.

 

The girl in question raised an eyebrow, though she had an inkling that their intentions were to use as less of her money as they possibly could which made her mood soften at the thoughtfulness making her mind sway from the headache she was receiving from having to deal with the devil twins.

 

“You can’t sleep in that, Suho. The fabric isn’t thick enough so it would just make your back ache. Pick one of the mattresses with the others so I can pay for them.” She gave them a meaningful look before they could even open their mouth to protest. The pair nodded to show they understood before joining their brothers.

 

Jieun busied herself by glancing through the different bed sheets on special offer, contemplating on which one she could buy, until she felt her phone vibrating in her back pocket. Quickly retrieving the item, she took a brief look at the caller ID only to suppress a groan.

 

Of all the times she could call me it’s at such an inconvenient time. She clicked her tongue, but nevertheless schooled her emotions into that of her usual blank demeanor before she distanced herself from the rest of the group to answer the call.

 

“Why did it take you so long to answer? What if I was dying and I was trying to contact you, brat!?” A scratchy voice shrieked out, causing a few nearby customers to send her curious expressions.    

 

The brunette quietly exhaled as she continued to walk to a quieter more deserted part of the store, trying to remove any evidence of anger in her body before she responded with monotone. “Well, I’m sure that if you were actually dying then wouldn’t the first call you would make be the ambulance? What if I was busy? I’m not the only employee you can bother you know.”

 

She could vaguely hear the sound of a scoff from the other side. “Since when have you ever been busy? You’ve by far the most anti-social kid I’ve come across in all my years.”

 

Breathe in…do not under any circumstances lose your temper. This was the only part-time job you were able to get. The girl reminded herself.  

 

“Maybe I’ve made some friends over the summer,” She retorted with an air of nonchalance, making sure to keep an eye out for the boys and in particular Chanyeol who—thankfully—was no longer acting like a child but instead seemed to be adamant on following Baekhyun like a lost puppy.

 

“Aish, I can never understand you kids these days. They get more disrespectful as they get older. Now, I didn’t called you to have a nice chit chat, I need you to get to work as soon as possible to fill in for someone’s shift.”

 

Instantly, Jieun felt a rise of indignation. “But I’m not supposed to work until I get back to school, that’s what we agreed on!”

 

“But you did not get that in writing did you? Your written contract that you willingly signed says that you have to go into work when I say. If you feel that your human rights are being infringed then I’m sure I can easily find someone else to replace you for a lower price!”

 

She felt herself slacken in defeat, knowing that she could not argue anymore without angering her boss further. “I understand I’ll be there as soon as I can.”

 

“Good. If you aren’t here in the next half hour, don’t even bother showing up at all.” Abruptly, the sound of the call being cut was all she heard before it was only the tone dial left ringing in her ears.

 

God, if I did not need this job, I would not hesitant to strangle her, that pitiless witch of a woman. Jieun glared at her cell phone, as if the mere action would cause the woman pain of some sort.

 

Releasing a withheld sigh, she reached to pull out her purse from her bag as she wandered through the maze-like structured shop until she found all the boys standing by the mattress section, posing as if they were all involved in a professional photo shoot. Most of the girl customers were openly staring at them while others were looking around for any secrets cameras.

 

Jieun, on the other hand did not bother to take much notice as she made an immediate beeline for Suho, who was one of the most sensible of the group as she placed her purse in his hand with a meaningful look.

 

“Suho-ssi, I’m leaving you in charge of paying for all the mattresses. Don’t worry about the cost; I’m sure there’s enough money in there. There also should be enough for you to buy some food, if any of the others complain. My spare key is under the doormat, I’ll meet you all back at the apartment, okay?”

 

He tilted his head to the side, his eyebrows furrowing together in evident confusion. “Where are you going, Jieun-ah? Do you require our assistance?” He fired question after question, confusion quickly melting into that of underlying concern.

 

Jieun nearly smiled at that, feeling somewhat better just being in his presence but settled on shaking her head. “I’ve got to cover someone’s shift at work; I’m not sure what time I’ll be home so just take care of the others until I get back.” 

 

She nearly felt her heart stop when Chanyeol suddenly appeared into her line of vision, his wide eyes staring at her in shock. “I thought we were going on a date today, Jieun-ah! You can’t leave me~” He whined as he clung to her arm like a needy child.

 

Kyungsoo clicked his tongue, not liking that one bit as his natural motherly instincts were taking over.

“Come on now Chanyeol hyung, you can spend time with Jieun-ah later once she’s done what she needs to do.” The male in question was reluctant to part from the girl, but with a swift swat on the head from Baekhyun he folded his arms over his chest with an unhappy pout settled on his face.

 

The devil twins were about to add in their own input when the wide eyed male shot an exasperated look in their direction.

“We need to carry the mattresses to the apartment, so don’t even think about ditching us.”

 

Suho seemed to be too troubled to remain quiet as he voiced out his own concerns. “I think we would all feel much better if you brought one of us with you, simply as a precaution if something was to happen to you and we could not reach you.”

 

“Look, you guys don’t have to baby-sit me. I’ve managed to take care of myself until this point in my life, so I’m sure I can cope a few hours without you.” Jieun stressed out as she glanced around to look at all of them, only to be greeted with unconvinced expressions—as if implying right there and then that they did not think she could take care of herself.

 

“It’s not that we don’t think you can take care of yourself, kitty. It’s just you don’t know what kinds of thoughts run through guys’ minds when they see you. We just want to protect you.” Luhan stepped forward; his face conflicted with a mixture of anger and concern. She knew he meant well, since he was there when she was confronted by the gang of teenagers before, he did have a right to be worried since their intentions were not good.

 

Jongin’s face darkened as his gaze flickered towards the older male. “What kind of thoughts?”

 

Luhan averted his eyes away from Jieun as he closed his eyes. “It’s not something I can repeat out loud.”

 

Fully aware that they were beginning to attract an audience as both men and women were exchanging hushed whispers as they watched the group as if it were a drama, Jieun cleared with an assertive look.

“That’s not important right now, I have to get going but we’ll talk about it later—“

 

The tanned male gripped onto her wrist as he narrowed his eyes in a no--talking manner.

“How can that be not important? If those filthy minded bastards think they can get away that easily by thinking so lowly of my soul mate, then they can think again.” He all but growled out with a predatory snarl. Jieun felt her pulse quicken at the sight of his once obsidian eyes were now tinged with bloody red irises.

 

I don’t understand why he cares so much? It’s not like he knows me all that well, so why is he taking this ‘soul mate’ thing so seriously?

 

Similar questions had been swimming around in her mind for quite some time now but no matter how many times she tried to understand his motives, she just felt herself going around and around in circles. But she had to worry about that another time, feeling extremely self-conscious of the stares they were receiving. Though it was obvious that they were either paying no attention to them or they were simply being oblivious.     

 

“Calm yourself, Jongin. If it bothers you that much, you can come with me to work. But if you even step out of line once, like you’re doing now, then I will not bother with you anymore.” It was an empty threat, she knew that herself but its desired effect seemed to be taking its toll as the male’s eyes were turning back to normal and his expression turned neutral as he gave a curt nod.

 

“I’ll take care of everything from here, Jieun-ah. Don’t overwork yourself too much!” The kind faced leader reassured her; the girl in question inclined her head with a grateful look before she set off towards the exit with Jongin trailing not too far from her.

 

“Wah, she really is something. Jongin hyung would never listen to us, especially when he got mad.” Sehun stared wide eyed at the retreating pair in awe. Suho simply smiled knowingly before he motioned for the others to follow him to the cashier area.

 

Although no one else voiced it out, they all agreed with Sehun. It has been said multiply times in the past, but they have never felt so fortunate enough to be able to have met Jieun.

 

.

.

.

 

“Take these to table 4, Jieun-ssi.”

 

“Could you collect those mugs please Jieun-ssi?”

 

“Jieun-ssi, I know it’s difficult for you not to be the clumsy oaf you normally are but remember that anything you break will come out of your wages.” The owner barked out.

 

“Oh! I can’t decide between these two cakes!” An indecisive teenage girl whined out, a frown playing on her lips as her gaze kept flickering back and forth between the two confections.

 

“Why don’t you have both?” The mother inquired softly, thinking that that was the logical solution.

 

“Aigo, you know I’m on a diet, I can’t afford to gain weight!” It was incredible that at someone as young as this girl was more concerned with her weight than enjoying herself. Jieun shook her head in disbelief.

 

“How about you try each of them and decide from there which one you like best?” Jieun offered a compromise, to which the girl beamed brightly at before the brunette went to prepare the order.

 

It was a particularly busy day at the café, which was build on the outskirts of town where the odd customer would usually be either a tourist or someone who passed by to buy a cup of coffee. The café was not relatively well known in comparison to other similar shops which employed flower boys to attract girls; instead they tried to provide a welcoming atmosphere.

 

Jongin leaned forward in his seat as his elbows touched the counter, adoration evident in his features as he watched Jieun work behind the bar to fetch the customer’s drinks.

 

“Would you stop staring? You’re making it look like you’re my boyfriend or something.” She grumbled under her breath, but audible enough for him to overhear it. The brunette carefully arranged the pot of tea on the tray along with additional porcelain cups and a plate of assorted cakes, ranging from the simple yet delicious chocolate cakes to more complexly designed confections.

 

He cocked an eyebrow as his insufferable smirk made its way onto his face. “Why? Is it bothering you that much?”

 

One minute he looks so angry that he could kill someone, the next he’s joking around like nothing happened. Jieun shook her head in disbelief as she shot him a dry look. “As a matter of fact, yes it is bothering me. If you’re just going to be a pain, then you should just go home and help the others.”

 

“I think I’d rather stick around, if that’s okay with you.” He stretched his arms over his head before folding them and leaning against them in a lazy manner which made nearby girls to swoon.

 

Stupid show-off. Rolling her eyes, she picked up the tray as she quickly located the girls who ordered the food before placing the items onto the table with the customer-friendly smile. “I hope it is to your liking, if you require anything do not hesitant to call me.” In response, she received small, shy smiles as the girls bowed respectfully.  

 

“Good work Jieun-ssi. Take a break for a while; you’ve been on your feet since you got here.” Her co-worker and manager of the cafe told her kindly as she accepted the tray back. Jieun eyed the growing queue of people warily, knowing that more work would be done if she continued working.

 

“Seriously, you need the break; you’ve gotten really bad eye bags recently. Have you been pulling all-nighters or something?” She scolded lightly with a flick to the head.

 

“Uh, yeah something like that.” It’s not like I’ve had to take care of a handful of demons recently. She thought with an inward sigh as she released a nervous laugh.  

 

“But you’re only getting fifteen minutes so make sure you’re back to work then, I’m watching you Jieun-ssi.” The owner, an elderly woman called out from the other side of the bar, sipping her tea while keeping her hawk-like eyes locked on Jieun.

 

The brunette simply nodded her head as she went to take a seat at one of the far corners of the room, perhaps now would be a good opportunity to get some rest before she had to deal with another rush of customers. Aish, it’s never usually this busy. Maybe all the girls wanted to spend the last few of their freedom with their friends?

 

Friends... Unlike most girls her age, she was not fortunate enough to say that she had a lot of those. But in a sense, she would rather have a small group of friends who she can whole-heartedly trust rather a larger group who were mostly two-faced and would not hesitant to talk about her behind her back. Though, sometimes it felt quite lonely not having someone to talk to. Seeing the girls chat so freely made her heart ache with longing.

 

The friends she had during high school all left to attend the University and subject of their choice, all going far into the country while she stayed in the same place. All alone and forgotten. It’s funny how promises are always made that your friends say that they would keep in touch, no matter what and that they won’t forgot you, when at the end—that’s exactly what they’ll do since they meet new people and get so immersed within the area that they get so caught up with trying to adjust to the new setting.

 

Jieun tried to distract herself from thinking about such things. It only made her heart ache every time they appeared in her mind, just the vision of her friends all smiling and having fun without her as she leaned forward into her arms which acted like a makeshift pillow.

 

“Yah, what’s with the sad face? You were fine a moment ago.” Jongin poked her head, having kept silent as he watched her face being conflicted with sadness.

 

Too tired to argue with him, she buried her face deeper with her arms. All she had was ten minutes to truly act as she felt; since she was caught up with looking after the demons she found that she never really had time by herself.   

 

He frowned as he copied her actions but instead placed his chin on his folded arms. “You know, in life friends come and go, but the important people in your life always remain in your heart.”

 

Caught off guard, she raised her head slightly to shoot a questioning look in his direction. Did he just read her mind?

 

He cracked a crooked smile as he reached out to her hair out of her eyes. “You’re like an open book; it’s easy to predict what’s wrong with you. If it would make you feel better, you can just talk and I’ll listen.”

 

Jieun narrowed her eyes in suspicion at the sudden change in character. She would have expected Baekhyun, Suho or Lay to say something like that. But not Jongin, the supposed ‘womanizer’ who played mercilessly with women’s feelings as if they meant nothing—so how was she any different from the rest of them? She briefly recalled looking at Kyungsoo and Jongin’s descriptions in the book.

 

.

.

.

 

Birth Name: Do Kyungsoo (also known as D.O)

Birth Date: January 12—

Height: 173cm

Specialties: He has the strength of a thousand men and can influence Mother Nature’s work as his element is earth.

Description: The self-confessed mother of the group and has an interest in cooking. He is naturally caring and holds a soft spot for all the members. Though, if he is angered then he will not hesitant to unleash if it ensures he can protect the people he cares about.

 

Birth Name: Kim Jongin (also know as Kai)

Birth Date: January 14—

Height: 182cm

Specialties: Abilities enable Jongin to distort the nature of space as he is able to transport anywhere to his liking.

Description: He was well known for being a womanizer, possessing an abundance of charisma and charm who can easily manipulate people’s emotions. Being one of the youngest in Exo, he has troubles expressing his emotions clearly to people but nevertheless is warm-hearted to the people he cares for. 

 

.

.

.

 

“If I remember correctly, you were a womanizer in the past Jongin.” She leaned back in her seat, a sceptical look etched on her face.

 

“Yet, you’ve suddenly changed your ways and claim that I am your ‘soul mate’.” She stated without a trace of faith as she flexed her fingers in quotation marks.

 

He reached out for her hands, only for her to retract them and place them in her lap as she eyed him untrustingly. If he had the ability to manipulate her at whim, then she would have to keep her guard up.

 

Not being deterred, his expression remained set and focused, knowing that he had to prove himself in order to be accepted. “There are no words for me to defend my actions in my past life; I know that I was wrong to behave like that. I know it is not a valid excuse but I was young and foolish, I did not value those women like I should have but none of them meant anything to me. They were only there to fill the empty void I had been feeling when I was in the other world.”

 

He his lips nervously. “But then it reached a point where I did not care if I was hurting other people’s feelings because that’s the kind of person I was back then.”

 

Jieun exhaled deeply. “Why are you telling me all of this? Are you trying to make me feel sympathetic towards you?”

 

Jongin slowly looked at her for a seemingly long amount of time before he finally shook his head. “No. I don’t want you to feel any pity for what I had done. I know that I don’t deserve forgiveness for my disgraceful actions. I just want you to have some sort of understanding on how I felt, since the others did not want to hear anything that I have to say on the matter.”

 

The brunette’s face softened slightly. His brothers had not accepted him so quickly like they did with the others apart from Kyungsoo, who did not seem to hold a grudge against anyone—being the good soul he was. 

 

“I don’t want to hear the explicit details of what you had done since it is your business and I do not mean to pry into that. But could you explain to me why your brothers act so coldly around you?”

 

A flash of pain appeared on his face for a few seconds before it vanished as soon as it emerged. “I went out that evening like I did all those other times, they tried to warn me to be careful and like always I did not heed their words of caution. This of course led to consequences that were out of my control. I became so wrapped in my own world that I did not realize that it was ultimately affecting theirs. It all happened because of her.” He spat out bitterly, an aura of hatred radiating from his figure.

 

She furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. “What happened?”

 

“It was fun at first; we just fooled around until she started talking about love and marriage. She was a servant who said she had already dreamed about meeting prince charming.” He scoffed at the thought.

 

Jieun folded her arms over her chest. “What’s wrong with wanting that? Most girls want to find someone like that.”

 

He seemed surprised for a moment before an incredulous look settled on his features. “Is that the kind of traits you’re looking for in a guy?”

 

She shot a deadpan look in his direction though her cheeks were lightly stained pink as she attempted to wave off his concerns. “We’re not talking about me right now; go on and continue your story about breaking her heart.”

 

Instantly he sobered up, any sight of mirth disappearing in a split second. “I’m not saying that it was a bad thing to want that. But I had thought that we went into that arrangement wanting the same things, but she obviously wanted more than that. But she knew that I couldn’t give her any of that, I was a non-commitment kind of guy back then.”

 

“She tried to convince me that we should run away and elope, saying that we would be much happier that way than having to sneak around all the time.”

 

“But let me guess, you didn’t want to spend the rest of your life with someone you could not commit yourself to?”

 

“It wasn’t just that, I know I may seem heartless but I tried to let her down gently.” He grimaced slightly, as if reliving a past bad memory. “Needless to say, she did not take it well and she avoided me since then. Foolishly without thinking much of it, I went back to my womanizing ways.”

 

Jieun released a weary sigh, feeling her interest beginning to dwindle rapidly by the second, as she began more aware of the time as she met the stern eyes of the owner. “So what, you broke her heart and continued breaking other poor girl’s hearts too?”

 

“She was not like other women I had met; she had suddenly become hell-bent on making fall madly in love with her!” He tried to explain, seeing that she was quickly losing interest. “It turned out that she was some S-class witch—“ Seeing the look of confusion which graced her face, he digressed. “In my world, that meant that that was the division where only the dark and powerful witches were classed in.”

 

After having accepted the existence of demons, Jieun did not have as much trouble believing that witches were real too. Aigo, who would have thought all those Halloween characters, really existed after all?

 

“She became so obsessed that she would eradicate anyone she thought to be a potential threat close to me.”

 

Jieun’s eyes widened in realization before she quickly looked around to check if anyone heard before leaning in to whisper. “You mean she actually killed people because she loved you?”

 

He scowled darkly. “It was not love that made her do that, she was determined that if she could not have me then no one else could.”

 

“It was not long before she saw my own brothers as a threat; it was because of me that Sehun and many other innocent people nearly died. I’m not surprised at all that any of them hate me for allowing her to create such havoc in our lives. But with reinforcements we were able to detain her.” He lowered his head in shame, but not before she noticed the glint of regret in his eyes.

 

A moment of pregnant silence followed on from that unexpected revelation until Jieun gathered up the courage to ask. “Then what happened?”

 

“The head authority in that world wanted to make sure that I would learn from my mistakes because I had endangered many people’s lives. So she transported me to this world, but in the form of a cat. She casted an unbreakable curse on me that meant that I would only be able to return back to my human self if I find the one I can destined to be with.”

 

 

“When the witch had casted her curse on me, it not only bound me to stay in feline form but I could not look at any woman the same again.”

 

 

Despite the feeling of dread developing at the pit of her stomach as she remembered those words, she pushed away those feelings as she focused all of her attention on the male who was practically pouring his heart out in front of her.

 

“I became a hollow shell and I lived for the sake of living. I did not feel like I had a purpose anymore as I traveled all over to try and break the curse. All those years of endless searching made me contemplate whether it would be worth living in this life.” There was a distant look in his eyes as he released a sigh that seemed to be pent up emotions.

 

Until he returned his smoldering gaze onto her, that same look of adoration appearing on his face again. “But then, just when I was about to give up, I found you.”

 

“What? On the day I went out for the picnic with your brothers?”

 

A fond smile rested on his face as he shook his head. “No, the very first time I laid eyes on you was when it was a very sunny day and you had dropped your ice cream on your dress. Even when your dress was soiled with chocolate stains and tears, you still looked beautiful to me.” With that he reached out his hands to tenderly grasp her own hands, but this time she did not intervene as she busied her mind by racking through her memories, her face contorted with perplexity until a look of understanding replaced it.

 

“…That was during my tenth birthday, my parents had brought me to the park to buy me ice cream because they were leaving that day and I wanted to spend as much time with them as possible.”

 

Jongin squeezed her hands with a tender look. “Since that time, I have been watching over you, admiring you from afar. At first, I did not accept that you were my soul mate because you were so young, so innocent that I did not want to corrupt such a sweet person such as yourself. But as the years went on, you became so much more beautiful and intelligent that other people began to recognize that too. Now this experience has taught me how it feels to have an unrequited love because I could never talk to you, but I was there when you were at your happiest with your parents and during your lowest times when your friends left to go to university. It hurt me so much that I could not comfort you in times when you needed it the most.”

 

The brunette swallowed carefully, though she felt that he was telling the truth there was an underlying seed of doubt which made her question whether or not he was actually lying.

 

“How can I be sure that you’re telling me the truth?”

 

The tanned male smiled as he tapped her arm where there was a fainting scar with a knowing look. “Then how else would I know that you got this when you tried to learn how to skateboard? Or when you got so angry when your grandma forgot to put your Pikachu plushie in your school bag that you threw a tantrum outside the school gate?”

 

Instantly her face grew so red that it closely resembled a tomato, to which Jongin grinned in satisfaction at having caused such a reaction from her.   

 

Though her tone remained sceptical, a faint smile curled on her lips. “You could be a stalker for all I know.”

 

He leaned forward with a smile on his own, “If it you then I would follow you until the ends of the earth, my love.”

 

She released a short bark of laughter as she rolled her eyes. “Aish, you’re becoming very cheesy and romantic all of a sudden, is that what you said to all the others girls you've wooed?”

 

“Even though I once was a womanizer in the past, I never claimed to have loved any of them.” He stated solemnly before a bashful look graced his face. “I guess it just comes out naturally when I’m around you.”

 

She didn’t what it was exactly that made her change her mind about him, but now she was starting to see him in a new light—where he shown he was genuine and regretful of all the things he had done in the past. Pushing aside the romantic pick-up lines, she felt that she would be able to tolerate his company after having hearing his explanation. Now all she had to do was persuade his brothers to do the same, if they would just hear him out then any misunderstandings in the past would be resolved. Jieun knew it wouldn’t be easy but it was worth a shot, she knew herself that family was one of the most important things in her life and to see Jongin not being included with his own brothers did not sit right with her.

 

The brunette was about to open to reply when a rough voice interceded her. “Yah! You’ve had more than ten minutes break, you can speak to you boyfriend after your shift. Aish, kids these days.” The elderly woman shook her head as she went into the backroom.

 

“Ajumma! They were having a moment! Honestly, you don’t understand anything about love!” It was only at the moment that Jieun become more aware of her surroundings as she took a sweeping glance of the room when she realized that all the girls were smiling at her and Jongin, it was quiet enough to hear a pin drop.

 

It did not take long before she put two and two together before she hastily waved her hands over her face. “A-Ah please do not misunderstand, my friend was just going through a rough patch at the moment and I was just hearing him out that’s all.” Instantly groans of disappointment were exchanged through the room, to Jieun’s surprise as she turned to look at Jongin.

 

“I’ve got to get back to work, if you want to order anything just tell me and I’ll take care of the bill.” She smiled, catching him off guard for a moment before she walked back to the counter whilst readjusting her apron.

 

Her co-worker shot her a sympathetic look. “Did he not confess, Jieun-ssi?”

 

Oh, he did much more than that. It turns out that he knows more about what’s happened in my life than my friends do. Instead, she lightly swatted the older woman’s arm. “Why would you think he would? It’s not like we’re that close or anything.” Nope, not that he’s living with me either.

 

She pouted in response. “Aish, that’s a shame. I just assumed because he was giving you that look.”

 

Jieun tied the straps into a bow as she began to prepare the next customer’s order, half listening to what the older woman was saying as she replied absentmindedly. “What look?”

 

“You know! The look a boy gives a girl when he’s absolutely, one hundred per cent head-over-heels in love with her!”

 

…Absolutely…100%...head-over-heels in love

 

…100%

 

…in love

 

…with ME?!

 

Just when she was about to turn around with the tray in hand, she spun around in shock at the ebony haired manager, not taking on board that she was losing her balance as she felt herself falling backwards as the tray’s contents went airborne.

 

Oh ! Ajumma’s going to kill me for breaking those! Or worse she’ll fire me! It all went so fast as she felt her back collide with a warm chest while another person picked up the tray and with inhuman speed was able to collect each of the items as they landed perfectly and without a single scratch on the china set.

 

It was only then did she release a sigh of relief as she assumed that the person who saved her was Jongin. But that thought was instantly dashed when the male in question appeared in front of her to help her stand up, his face fiercely protective as he made sure she was fine.

 

“Yah, I’m all for saving the damsel in distress and all but I would kill for some tea right now.”

 

“And some of those delicious cakes would be great too, maiden!”

 

Jieun blinked slowly as she turned towards the pair questioningly who moved eagerly towards the counter, the one with the pronounced jaw-line seemed to be the more calm one while the cute faced male hungrily eyed the cakes on display. The girls stared in gape at the sudden appearance of the flower boys, as if they had died and gone to—boy—heaven. The manager quickly took the tray from the brunette’s hands as she shooed her in their direction.

 

Realizing that they had saved her , she rushed over to prepare their order as Jongin reluctantly followed behind to take a seat beside them, knowing that his time with Jieun was now over.

 

“Thank you for earlier, I apologize for my clumsiness.” She inclined her head, feeling a blush of embarrassment creep onto her cheeks.

 

“Don’t worry about it; you would have injured yourself otherwise, we wouldn’t have wanted that to happen. The name’s Chen by the way.”

 

“Yeah, it’s our sworn duty to look after you anyway, maiden. I’m Xiumin, at your service.” The chubby faced male stated quietly so that only her human ears could pick up as he bowed his head with a cheeky grin.

 

Ah, so they’re also brothers of Jongin? They don’t seem too bad.

 

“You don’t have to worry about being indebted to met, I’ll take care of it consider it payment for helping me out before.” She smiled brightly as she puhed the mug of tea and plate of confections in their direction. For a moment, Jongin felt forgotten as he watched the pair who began to consume their orders with content faces.

 

“There you go, Jongin-ssi. The very last chocolate cakes slice for the day, would you like a drink to go with that?” The male in question merely nodded his head dumbly as he looked at the girl in surprise to which she merely smiled in response.

 

“Aish, that girl is so oblivious it hurts to watch.” The manager sighed as she face-palmed her forehead.

 

.

.

.

 

Author's Corner                                                                                                                                              

I was determined to make sure I posted this chapter this week, since I'm currently on my half-term break from school *hallelujah* so I thought that there was no better time to write this when I didn't have school to worry about. 

Plus, I'm trying to keep myself busy because I've been constantly checking my emails recently because I went for a University interview on Friday, so I'm waiting for a response on that.

I've realized that there is quite a bit of fluff in this chapter. I guess I wanted to explain more about Kai's background since it must have seemed like he fell for Jieun at first sight -which as you could tell by reading this chapter was not the case.

Um, other than those things I don't actually have that much to say this time. So...yeah. Hope you liked the chapter, if you didn't then...I'm sorry ;_; 

Thanks for sticking around until now! :) Subscribe, comment, do whatever to your heart's content. Did anyone else feel really hungry looking at those cake pictures at the top? I wish I had chocolate cake...oh just me? Then here's some Exo spam}

tumblr_mena5cuPD81rt21j5o1_r1_500.png

tumblr_mhyzbor4631qlv0dfo1_500.png

tumblr_mi2bh7FvTg1rxzf8xo1_r1_250.giftumblr_mi2bh7FvTg1rxzf8xo2_250.gif