Take Me Away

Crash

 

Key sat on his bed, printing off maps.

He looked at the pieces of hot paper in his hands, assessing the roads.

Yes.

It was mid semester break. He had to get away.

“Key!”

“What,” he said exasperatedly.

“Stop playing on the computer. Shouldn’t you be studying?”

“It’s mid semester break Ma, I don’t need to.”

“Yes you do. You’re nearly failing everything, you should be studying. Or doing your assignments. Not playing on your laptop!”

“Mom, lay off! I need some time to relax.”

“Relax? Relax? You can relax when you’ve graduated and found a good job. How can you relax knowing you’re failing everything? Key, stop playing around, this is your future-“

“I know, I know!” yelled Key heatedly. “Just leave me alone!”

Heavy footsteps sounded on the ground and Key groaned. Now his father was involved.

“What’s going on here?”

Both Key and his mother fell silent, knowing Key’s father’s temper.

“Key, get off the laptop and study,” ordered his father.

“No,” said Key stubbornly. “I’m 19. I can make my own decisions about my education and can manage my time properly. You don’t need to tell me what to do.”

“You live with me, so you play by my rules,” said his father. “Switch it off now.”

“I have homework to do on the laptop,” said Key. “I’m not switching it off.”

There was a tense silence. Key had never disobeyed his father before, and he watched his father’s features grow stormy. His heart was beating fast and he was scared and didn’t know what to do.

He could only gasp as his father grabbed his laptop and threw it on the floor, stomping on it. His mother had her hand over .

“It’s off. Study. And if I see you talking to that no good neighbour’s nephew I’ll do the same to him.”

His father left his room and his mother trailed after him, closing the door behind her.

Key bit his lip, trying his hardest not to cry as he opened his drawers, pulling clothes out.

It’s okay he kept chanting to himself. I’ll be away soon. I don’t need them. They don’t deserve my tears or my unhappiness. They can’t hurt me.

 

Taemin blinked sleepily as a figure loomed above him to kiss him on his forehead.

“Where were you, I’ve been waiting,” he pouted, reaching out and hugging Key, pulling him down on top of him. He snuggled into Key, confused when his cheek met the rough material of a coat and scarf, and the cool metal of buttons.

“Taemin,” said Key. “I’m leaving tonight.”

“What?” said Taemin, squeezing him tighter. “Where?”

“You don’t know where,” said Key.

“For how long?”

“I don’t know.”

“What.”

Taemin bolted upright and switched on the table light, suddenly awake. He saw Key sitting on his bed, fully dressed bundled up in a coat and scarf and picking at his gloves, unable to meet Taemin’s eyes.

“What’s happening?” demanded Taemin.

Key sighed, fixing his hair, his nervous habit. “I’m leaving. I’m sick of my parents. I’m sick of my house. I filled up my tank of my car yesterday. I’m going to drive somewhere else and just live in a motel for a while or something. I can’t live with my parents here. I’m going insane.”

“What about me?” Taemin demanded. “You can’t leave me here!”

Anxiety rose up in Taemin at the thought of being left here alone, having to sleep in his bed alone, having to go to school alone, alone, alone. Key was the only person he talked to. He needed Key. Key made him happy. He couldn’t be here without Key.

“You’re the main reason why I’ll come back,” said Key, his cheek. “I promise I’ll come back for you Taemin, definitely when college starts again.”

“No no no,” refused Taemin , holding onto Key. “No, don’t leave me here alone hyung, please, no!”

He felt Key hold him tightly back, kissing his hair.

“I’ll be back before you know it.”

“No!” said Taemin, tears of frustration starting to well up. “I’m not saying goodbye, no, you can’t leave me!”

“It’s not you, it’s my parents. My dad just smashed my laptop. I can’t live there. When I come back I’m moving out. But for now I need to get away from them as fast as possible, I can’t stand it there.”

Was this a bad dream? Taemin couldn’t believe this. Not his only happiness in life. His only comfort, his only love! Not his Key. Key couldn’t leave without him.

“Take me with you,” said Taemin into Key’s neck. “I want to go with you.”

“No,” refused Key.

“If you loved me you wouldn’t leave me here! If you loved me you’d let me come with you,” Taemin blabbered, clutching onto Key, scared that his only happiness was running away.

“It’s because I love you that I’m going to leave you here safe,” said Key, kissing him once. “And sound,” kissing him again. “And wouldn’t I be kidnapping? Imagine how upset Onew and Taeyeon will be when they wake up and see you gone, babe. You’re not 18, I can’t take you away. I’ll be thrown in jail. You’re staying here where you’re okay. Onew and Taeyeon will look after you, like they do now.”

“It’s 16 hyung, not 18 that the police stop caring about these things,” said Taemin, feeling soft and small in his pyjamas against Key’s rough coat and jeans. “And I’ll leave them a note, I’ll just be a runaway, you won’t have anything to do with it. And we’re coming back, right?”

“Taemin-“

“If you loved me you wouldn’t leave me alone,” whispered Taemin against Key’s neck. “If you loved me you would hold me forever, being apart would be the last thing on your mind. If you loved me you wouldn’t go knowing that you would leave me crying every second we’re apart. Or am I the only one who feels this way?”

“Taemin, please don’t-“

“I’m serious hyung. I’ve slept well all these nights knowing you’re there by my side. Even when you’re not I imagine you in your room just 10 metres away from me typing your assignments and I fall asleep to that. But knowing you’re not there for me anymore.. there’s no one else. I have no one else.  You’re the only one that makes me happy. I don’t see the point in going on. I can’t live without you. I can’t live without my family. I can’t promise what I will do on my own if I have nights without you. I can’t promise I’ll be here if you come back, because I can’t see the light of the tunnel without you.”

“Taemin you wouldn’t!”

Taemin nestled into Key’s shoulder. “You wouldn’t be here to stop me if you leave me…”

Key heaved a sigh, holding Taemin tighter, hoping he wasn’t making a huge mistake. He didn’t want to leave Taemin. Of course he wanted Taemin to come. He knew Taemin was emotionally blackmailing him, but he knew Taemin’s threats weren’t to be taken lightly. This had trouble written all over it.

“Fine. Fine.”

Key let Taemin kiss him, their kiss sad and desperate, resting for a minute before they hauled Taemin’s suitcase out of his closet and threw in Taemin’s clothes, saved money, other useful things. Key couldn’t stop his stomach churning in dread.

 

 

Taemin sat in the passenger seat of Key’s car, map on top of the blanket on his knees, staring at Taeyeon’s house from the outside, seeing all the lights off, the only light being from the streetlight. It was dead quiet, 3 AM. He would miss Taeyeon and Onew and the house. He blinked, determined not to feel scared. He knew he wanted to be with Key. If Key had driven away without him, Taemin would have broken down.  Oh well. It was only going to be for a few weeks. Nothing bad could happen in 2 weeks, right? It might even be fun. Sure, he was going to be in a whole heap of trouble when he came back, but it would be worth it. Key was responsible and an adult, and Taemin wasn’t going to go looking for trouble. They had money, they would just go and relax, it would be fine.

“You sure you want to do this?” asked Key. “You can still stay, babe. Don’t do something you don’t want to do.”

“I want to be with you ,” said Taemin, lacing his fingers with Key’s and resting his head on his shoulder. “I just want to be with you.”

Key sighed and started the ignition, preparing for the long drive ahead. He was so scared that this wasn’t going to end well. Not only was he running away, but he was now taking a minor with him. Oh God.

Taemin stared at his house as they drove down the street, craning his neck until he couldn’t see it anymore.

 

To: Noona and Onew-hyung

Sorry! I’m so sorry noona. I don’t know what to say because I’ve never written or done something like this before. I’m going somewhere for a while. You have probably figured out with Key hyung because he’s gone too right? I am going with him somewhere. I don’t know where. But we’ll be back before his school starts! I made him take him with me because I love him so much noona, and I don’t want to be here all alone without him. He will take care of me, he’s so mature and responsible, and I’m old enough to take care of myself too, so don’t worry, I’ll be fine.

And yes, I want to go with him! He wanted me to stay but I wouldn’t let him do that. I didn’t know how to tell you this but HE DOESN’T HURT ME. Let me tell you the truth I was too scared to say. Key hyung saw me kissing a girl and he was mad at me and didn’t want to see me. So I tried to climb to his room using the tree and fell (how I got the bruise on my back). Then I got stuck in his window and he had to pull me out, which is how I got the bruises on my arms.  Then he slapped me because I kissed the girl and wouldn’t leave his room. And then I had with him. And that was why I was upset, not because he me but because isn’t it wrong? And I’m Catholic. And I regretted it because I was too young and it wasn’t for love. Yes, you’re right Onew hyung. But that just made me love him more! He treats me sooo well, its always me who makes him do things.

I’m sorry I’m leaving like this. I hope you are not worried, and you don’t need to be. I’m sorry for causing so much trouble and I’m not even your real kid.

But I love you like my real family

I’m so so so so so sorry I will do anything you want me to when I come back please don’t be angry I am so sorry I love you so much

I’ll be back before you know it I promise I will write to you wherever I am

Love, Taemin.

22/11

 

 

A/N I have no idea where I am going with this story having a bit of writers block. In the lowdown, the ideas came to me and I was excited to write it but with this no ideas are coming and I am feeling ver y hopeless about this. I sort of know what I will write next but I'm not really happy with what I have planned...

 

but on another note, as many of you guys guessed, taekey ran away! but maybe not as happily as some of you guys hoped?

 

Tell me what you think! :D :D