Chapter 4: Surprises

I'm Surrounded by Idols!

 

Sora's POV~


After signing my contract, I discussed with Lee Soo Man other important issues, like the fact he was paying me to be a trainee under his name. I was impressed too, he had issued that I would receive my first payment after a week’s worth of training, and then it would rise by fifteen per cent as I started my studies.

I was ecstatic of course, with the addition of the payment I was getting from Seoul National University as a full scholarship student, who wouldn’t be? I thanked the man, and walked out of the office happily, only to remember that my brother’s had said they had something on their schedule they forgot to deal with. After a few moments of consideration, I decided to go to the lobby, in hope that he was there.

I had one problem.

I didn’t know my way around the SM building, and I was already too far down the corridor to turn back, and ask Lee Soo Man, plus that would just be embarrassing. So I tried to call my brother.

Ring ring~” said his phone for the millionth time, “I’m sorry, the person you are calling is unav-“I hung up, before the voice on the phone told me to leave a message after the tone. Aish, why wasn’t he picking up his phone?

I walked around aimlessly for a few minutes, curious to why the SM building was so deserted; I could have been at the lobby by now if there was at least two other people, but I guess that’s not the way life goes huh.

I crashed into something skinny but muscular and I immediately thought of Taemin, I looked up and was greeted to a Taemin look-a-like, he even had the same musky vanilla + citrus scent that Taemin had, I found myself on the verge of a possible mental breakdown.

“Oh goodness.” I blurted at the sight, taking a few moments to digest that I had just crashed into a person. I immediately apologised and bowed my head low. How embarrassing.

I quickly explained that I had lost Sungmin, and asked for him. Only to get a sly smirk, and a “You two are related?”  I said that we were, and if he wasn’t going to help then so be it, pushing him out of the way in the process. I wasn’t trying to be rude, but he was in my way.

I wandered away from the rude-Taemin-look-a-like in search for my brothers. I continuously heard soft footsteps behind me, and eventually persuaded myself to think it was my imagination. I plugged in my earphones and tried calling my brother occasionally.

I repeated the same movements over and over, after fifteen steps, check the time. After another five, call Sungmin, I puffed out my cheeks whenever I found out I was wrong, and sighed loudly whenever I heard the lady in the phone tell me that Sungmin couldn’t pick up.

I was saved by the real Taemin this time. Taeminnie… it’s been so long. When was the last time I hugged you?

“Taemin-ah!” I waved like a maniac in his direction, and watched his face light up. At least that’s what I thought.

He tapped my head playfully, and scolded me for forgetting to call him Oppa, as usual. I rebutted telling him that he didn’t act like one. He slapped my shoulder gently, with “I’m still your Oppa anyhow.”

I found myself giving him a soft punch, him returning, it went back and forth, until I said, “I’ve lost my real Oppa,” I explained the whole Taemin-look-a-like (while punching him), and I was sure he was going to say someone’s name, but no, he had to change the subject to eating.

I was too nervous to eat so I declined his offer, as nicely as possible this time.

I listened to his suggestions, to which I had already tried, and all of them had failed. Taemin’s cuteness was slowly killing me, sending me mem- I’m going to forget about that.

I hugged him, to attempt not to look at his features, when Kyuhyun Oppa’s ringtone played, of him singing Puff the Magic Dragon. He hated it, but screw Kyuhyun Oppa.

“Kyu Oppa!” I half-yelled into the phone. “Where are you all?”

“Somewhere,” he answered simply.

“Where is Sungmin?!”

“With us, there’s a present waiting for you soon.”  He promised, presents? Ooh really?

“Where are you?!”

“Somewhere!”

“Answer my question!”

“We’re somewhere, I can’t tell you. But you will love your present, who are you with?” he asked like a real Oppa.

“I don’t care! I don’t believe you! I’m with Taemin Oppa!” I answered each thing in order.

“We’re done; we’ll come pick you up.”

“Well come get me then!” I wailed like a baby

“Sora!” I was called upon by multiple voices from the end of the corridor, and I was greeted to my many older brothers.

“Lee Sora!” My brother exclaimed happily, swinging me around and sending too many kisses on my eighteen year old self.

“Yah, I’m eighteen. Control yourself.” I pushed his chest backwards, and hugged my favourite Oppa instead. “Kyu Oppa~” I cooed, squeezing him tight. I was pulled away by Sungmin, and I noticed Taemin was out of sight.

“I’m your real Oppa.” He pouted, Sungmin told me he got me a gift, with Umma and Appa, which is great I suppose.

“Give it to me.” I took my hand out, in expectation for a gift.

“First…” he placed his stupid panda eye mask over my eyes, the satin felt coarse, and wrong against my lids, I slapped his hands as he tried to fix it onto my face. “Yah, there’s no need to be violent. Siwonnie!” he called to Siwon.

Not again. Never again, Siwon may have a muscular shoulder, but it does not ease the discomfort of the power he puts into it.  Choi Siwon is way too strong to be a normal human being. I found myself banging his chest full force, and still he felt nothing. I braced myself in horror as I felt him hurl me onto his broad shoulder. The eye mask made me lose my ability to use self-defence.

“You will love this.” My brother’s chirped, as they threw me in the car ruthlessly. The car roared to life beautifully, and I was driven to an unknown destination, with my brothers who kept me company, and kept me laughing.

“Sora-ah, you better be grateful, your umma and appa spent a lot of time on this!” Jung Soo (Leeteuk) Oppa said to me from the front passenger seat.

 “Be prepared!” Ryeowook cheered cutely, as he pulled me out of the car gently, my feet landed on hard, still ground so I knew I wasn’t on a boat or anything.  The air I smelt still smelt of car fumes, cigarette butts and other scents I wasn’t paying attention to, so I knew I wasn’t in a forest or a random place in the country. The air was still cold mid-October and mild, so I knew I was still in the Northern hemisphere.  What I didn’t know was where I was standing, and it was slowly driving me nuts.

I let my brother’s Hyukjae (Eunhyuk) and Donghae Oppa take me somewhere, I could tell it was indoors due to the sudden change in temperature, causing my cheeks to flush pink. I could tell there was a TV thanks to whoever was listening to the news in the background. I could tell the floor was laminated marble, thanks to the way my black heels click clacked on the ground, click clack, click clack.

My eyes looked upwards for any source of light I was hoping for, but I didn’t get much for the eye mask covered my eyes completely. I smelt the room and felt that it was sterile ground I was stepping on. Was I in a hospital?

I shrugged off the two pair of hands resting on my shoulders and felt a force push me into an elevator, I could tell it was that by the smell, and the temperature once more. I waited for the burst of movement in the elevator, and I got what I asked.

“Yah, Oppa where am I?” I finally questioned.

“In a moment Sora.” He said through what sounded like gritted teeth. I suddenly felt myself sink into the corner of the freezing elevator and shushed, waiting for the elevator itself to stop. I slowly counted the floors, and we reached to floor twenty-five, twenty-six or twenty-seven. I got confused after fifteen.

“We’re here.” Henry chimed, hopping out of the elevator. I could tell by the way he bounced and it made a weird slapping noise off the marble ground, frustrating really.

I was grabbed by the waist and held up in a bridal position by someone else, that someone else was not Siwon this time, this other person was equally as strong but not as muscular, nor did the scent seem as cinnamon-like. I was guessing Jong Woon (Yesung) Oppa, but he was too busy singing his new OST to possibly be carrying me. I changed my guess to Kyuhyun, there was no reason, but it seemed appropriate for my situation.

Right? Right.

I sighed loudly, and rested my head against the unknown person’s chest that was muscular, and so created a great cushion. It’s great having so many brothers some times. I waited a bit more, and jumped slightly when Sungmin growled at the person.

“Put her down now.” He said simply, but it was a dark order. I jumped off the person by myself, and landed on to another, goodness knows who.

“S-sorry.” I apologised meekly, in respect to my grumpy older brother.

Why was he grumpy in the first place? Did I do anything wrong? I didn’t think of anything I had done recently to annoy him, I mean he was the one that made me join SM in the first place, he shouldn’t be mad for that.

“Why are you sorry?” he asked, “You didn’t do anything wrong.”

“Oh, well… I thought because… you were –gr -I mean uh...” I looked down embarrassed, I shouldn’t tell him that he was acting like a grumpy old goat, or he would become one.

“Come on.” He grabbed my hand, and opened a door. “Ta-da!” Sungmin pulled off the eye mask, and I was greeted to a large empty living room.

“It’s empty.” I questioned Sungmin. “I don’t understand.

“This is a condominium. And you have this much to spend on refurbishing it,” Sungmin handed me a sheet of paper, with a bank account reading way over my usual spending money of two million won. “Spend it however way you want.”

“Wh-why am I getting a condominium?”

“You- you’re growing up. So you have to move out someday.”

“You’re kicking me out?” my eyes widened, I felt my heart crash to the marble floor of the condo. “O-Oppa, I th-thought… I’m sorry if I was that bad of a little sister.” I bowed on the floor, for the first time in my life I had felt that guilty.

“Sora…” Sungmin sighed, “Hey, can you guys let us talk?” he shooed out s.

“O-Oppa…” I stuttered, my eyes replicating the Puss in Boots in the film Shrek.

“Sora, it’s not that. It was Umma and Appa’s decision, Sora I love you very much but Umma and Appa... they want you to grow up and not depend on anyone else anymore. They want you to become more independent like Sungjin,” he explained softly. I swallowed loudly, and fiddled with my fingers.

“I’m sorry anyhow; please forgive me for all of my wrong-doings towards you.” I apologised, hugging him.

“Forgiven. I love you okay Sora?” he kissed my hair softly. “Umma and Appa also requested for one more thing.”

“Mwo?”

“They want you to be known so any reporters won’t conclude any scandal within Super Junior, arraso?” he looked into my eyes.

“Arasso.” I sighed, “When is it?”

“You’ll be introduced at Inkigayo, on the date of our comeback, or at one of the S.M.ART exhibitions. You have plenty of time, now let’s look around your new condo.” He gave me a comforting smile, my hair. I felt like he was suddenly proving to be a brilliant oppa.

“Okay then.” I said quietly. I followed as he placed his arm over my shoulder reassuringly. I gave him a small smile. There were four rooms, and one extra bathroom, I acknowledged the one large master bedroom with a walk –in wardrobe included, bu to me the rooms were bare and lacked personality.

“Let’s go home, we haven’t eaten.”

“Let’s.” I agreed, “I’ll cook you guys Beijing fried rice.”

“I freaking love you Lee Sora.” Sungmin grinned, and opened the front door of the condo, causing three members to fall over as they were trying to eavesdrop, Sungmin ignored them. “You can stay over whenever; I’ll miss your cooking.”

I slapped his arm, “Aigo, I’ll stay whenever.” I nodded.

“Do you think you’ll need help?” I was asked by Ryeowook, “I like in-“

“I’ll be fine.” I rejected his offer, “I need to learn to be independent.” I felt Sungmin squeeze my shoulders.

“If you say so.” He sighed, dejected. I patted his shoulder and walked into the elevator, pressing the sleek glass button that had the letter ‘G’ on it in silver, lighting up green when I put pressure on the button. I found myself admiring the elevator, sliver, stainless steel, dotted with small mirrors, and the sparkling black glass flooring.

The elevator ride was quick and I noticed my home took up the whole of the twenty-fifth floor, the condo itself had seventy-floor, including numerous other buttons like a swimming icon, and a gym icon, car park icon, a tree icon and the emergency icon.

This must have been really expensive to buy. Thank you so much my sweet loving parents that have given me too much throughout my occasional holiday visits here.

“Can I tell Eunmi-ah? Or JinJu-ah?” those two were my close friends, I had made through my year in Seoul, we even went to Jeju Island together. Eunmi was slightly closer to me, and wait, JinJu was in America.

I went with Sungmin’s permission of course.

I walked into the car park, focused on how I should explain it to them, and how I should design the condo itself.

“Yah Sora, get in.” Dong Hee (Shindong) Oppa complained, giving me a slight shove.

“I’m in, I’m in.” I rolled my eyes, sliding into the seat behind the driver, who was Jung Soo. “Oppa, this place is close to the SM building. Why don’t you move here?”

“I’ll ask the manager. “Jung Soo Oppa nodded in approval, “That’s a good idea.”

“But this place is expensive.” Siwon murmured.

“Freakin’ expensive.” Someone else joined in. “And there’s four bedrooms only, so we’d have to pay more for another floor.” They growled. Strange to think most of these guys are from well-off families by the way they grumble about money huh?

“Oh, yeah I forgot.” I blushed, pulling out my new headphones and placing it over my ears, blocking out the noise, and listening to my favourite, Infinite, and MBLAQ, with the many Super Junior songs on my phone thanks to my brothers, and the occasional SHINee songs thanks to Taemin, numerous SNSD thanks to Seohyun Unnie, and f(x) thanks to Krystal Unnie.

I scratched my head frustrated, and looked at my phone, receiving a text from Eunmi, inviting me out to which I had to decline.We reached home and I rushed into the elevator. “Sora, we’re going out ‘kay? Don’t leave the building.”

“Promise.” I nodded, as I entered the house, quickly getting changed into my black tank top, and short shorts. After I tied my hair up, I started hunting down the ingredients to make Beijing fried rice. With the help of my music, within fifteen to twenty minutes, I had finished cooking it.

Now what to make? I thought to myself intently, and remembered hearing the guys complain for an apple pie. Brilliant! I decided to bake it, in return for the condo.

I rummaged through the cupboards and found no sign of any plain flour at all. I sighed, and shrugged my shoulders. When I thought came into mind.

I had neighbours, who may or may not be famous, but whatever, they all should have some plain flour somewhere, it’s an essential household item, that this one is lacking.

I quickly texted Sungmin: Oppa, buy me plain flour we’re out. I’ll go ask the neighbours for now.

After sending the text, I gave a confident nod. I hadn’t even spoken to the neighbours before, so this was a great start before I left. I looked at the clothes I wore, and felt embarrassed suddenly.  I grabbed a white shirt that was possibly Zhoumi’s or Henry’s and admired how it fell to mid-thigh when I pulled it on.

“Sora, hwaiting.” I fist-pumped, casually pressing the button in the elevator to go down one floor, I knocked on the door, and waited for a few moments.

I was greeted to a male of his early-twenties possibly, very attractive though, a bit like Siwon Oppa.

“A-annyeong, Lee Sora imnida I’m your neighbour from upstairs, I was just wondering if I could borrow some flour? I just realised I ran out, and I promised not to leave the building.” I said as calmly as possible, trying to ignore my heart pounding in my ears. I gave him a bright smile, and noted his background, very peaceful and another few males sprawled all over the place. Reminded me of how the members of Super Junior are like as a whole.

I smiled, the usual one that got me whatever I asked for. From the corner of my eye I noticed the Taemin-look-alike. So he lived here too. I thought to myself.

“And I’m Joon Myun, but you can call me Suho. What kind of flour? Do you need I mean.” The handsome man asked with a slight stutter and colour in his cheeks.

“I just need plain flour.”

Suddenly, out of nowhere another good looking male chirped that he had a bag.  “It’s unopened, but once you’re done, you can just hand it back.” He blushed.

I like this, “I will thank you very much.” I bowed my head low, and turned around, hearing the door click, I remembered to say something. I knocked on the door once more.

The first handsome man greeted me again, and does he know how to make someone feel guilty.

“I’m sorry we didn’t get to meet earlier, I’ve been living with my brother for more than a year, and I never got a chance to say hi to you twelve? What is this the next Sup-“ I stopped myself from insulting them, “I mean well, if you want, I only live one floor up, we can always go out and maybe even become friends.” 

I tried to smile, but instead my pale cheeks flushed rose. “This may sound weird but how old is your youngest member?” I asked them, blinking innocently.

“Eighteen!” a cutie chirped, with a wide smile on his face. I love maknaes, they’re so cute. Or cheeky, or smart. Whichever one you prefer, for me it’s the cuties.

I smiled back, and cheered saying how we were the same age. “Maybe… we could go out sometime, since we’re the same age and it won’t be weird right?”

The cutie pie nodded, and just before I left, he called me by my name with a -sshi added. I wasn’t usually called that, especially because I was so close to so many in SM, and because I was younger. “Do you want to go out tomorrow? It’s fine if you don’t but if you-“What a cutie, I thought to myself.

“Yeah, sure, come up whenever, I’ve been dying to go out for ages.” I said honestly, and quickly stepped into the elevator, so I could avoid the Taemin-look-alike, who was eyeing me up suspiciously. Did he see me with Taemin?

Does Taemin know his name?

I shook my head as the elevator sent me to my brother’s dorm.

So what if they knew each other? That has nothing to do with me. Nothing.

I took off the white shirt I wore, as to not mess it up, and pulled on my apron, letting my mind babble nonsensically as I started on the apple pie. I stirred, and mixed, and kneaded the dough, rolling it out and placing it in a circular pan, all of these tasks I did sub-consciously. I snapped back into reality, and noticed that I had placed the pastry in squint. I frowned, and reattempted to put it in neatly.

I bit my tongue, as a form of concentration, and soon completed the task of aligning the pastry in the pan. I looked over at the apples that I had put on the boil. Peeking over them, I let them to cool for a few minutes, before pouring it into the pan as evenly as I could. I rolled out the spare dough I had made, and placed it on top of the pan, neatly t off the excess, and creating two leaf shapes.

I smiled at my victory, and placed the pie in the oven as gently as I could. When an idea popped into my genius mind, I decided to make another pie.

Why you may ask. To show how thankful I am to the neighbours of course!

I quickly remade the dough, and did everything within the time span of thirty minutes. Looking at the blue clock that hung on the white wall, I was told it was almost eleven ‘o’ clock, and my brothers were still not home yet.

I frowned once more, as I placed the second pie in the oven. The first was coming out just nicely, and I was feeling glorious. I undid my hair, and pulled on the shirt I was wearing earlier. After forty long minutes, I had cleaned the kitchen and living room; I was just starting on the KyuMin Oppa’s room.

I opened the oven carefully and cheered. My pies had come out perfect! I packed some double cream with the second pie and grabbed the bag of plain flour. This time I hopped down the stairs, and failed at my attempt of knocking the door. Eventually, I put down the bag of flour, and knocked with my free hand.

This time, a different cutie pie opened the door. He was tall, and had curly light brown hair, there was a wicked glint in his dark eyes, and his smile bearing a set of dazzling teeth was really cheeky, and he had a happy aura about him,  “Annyeong, I’m Chanyeol. You are?” he asked with a deep voice, it sounded amazing. I like guys with deep voices.

I gulped, “Lee Sora imnida. I was just returning your plain flour.” I handed him the bag.

Sadly, another male hopped into the scene, and I mean hopped. Do you know who it was?

The rude-Taemin-look-alike.

“Y-you!” I gasped, almost falling backwards in shock.

He smirked, “And what’s that in your hands?” he said in his deep, voice. His voice was deep, hypnotising and entrancing, just like the Chanyeol guy, only twice as effective on me.

I gulped once more, “I-I just wanted to thank you for letting me use your flour, so I made you guys an apple pie.” I blushed, as I handed him the pie, and the double cream. “It tastes good if you eat it with brown sugar by the way.” I added.

His hands came into contact with mine; I shivered at his far too warm touch, carefully trying not to make it awkward.

The Chanyeol guy, grabbed it off the rude-Taemin and thanked me with a flirty smile, the other guy –the one that handed me the flour in the first place- decided it would be nice to introduce him and his equally good looking friend.

“I’m Do Kyungsoo,” he said quietly, “I cook for the guys, but you can call me D.O or Kyungsoo. This is Lay, his real name is Zhang Yixing, and he’s Chinese.” He and his friend quickly disappeared from the scene leaving me with the rude-Taemin.

“Y-you…” I started.

“I’m Kai.” He said simply, I quickly scanned his features. He was very good looking indeed, with tan skin, plump lips, that hid his perfect, white teeth, he had a great physique, he was tall, and he had stunning coal black hair that fell over his left eye, as if he had just taken a shower. I watched as he bit his bottom lip, really quite seductively. Did I mention he was wearing a Snoopy shirt? Hm, good taste I see.

 “Kai isn’t a Korean name.” I rebutted, biting my tongue afterwards. “Kai is just a nickname isn’t it?”

“Yes, yes it is,” he crossed his arms, as he towered above me. “And you’re Lee Sora.”

“What’s your real name then?”

“Jongin.”

“You have a family name right?”

“Kim Jongin.” He rolled his eyes.

“Right, well I’ll be going.” I waved to the other men, “Bye.” I opened the door to the stairs.

When I thought they were out of earshot I whispered, “Che. He’s such a rude-Taemin-look-alike.” I opened the door to my brother’s dorm, and finally there was chatter filling up the apartment.

I smiled, “Enjoying the food?” I asked, to which they all nodded enthusiastically, like little kids, and I was the umma.

“We got you some magazines.” Henry Oppa said, whilst his mouth was full of food, majority; rice. He tried to grin, and pointed to the pile on the coffee table in the living room. I grimaced at his actions.

“A lot of them are for interior designing.” Zhoumi Oppa said as a-matter-of-factly, he this time, had a food-free mouth.

“Others are your usual fashion magazines.” Siwon Oppa shrugged.

“Just eat, I already did. And wash your plates after okay? I just cleaned the kitchen.” I strolled out of the room, and restarted my job in cleaning Kyuhyun and Sungmin Oppa’s room.

“Yah, you don’t need to clean my room,” one of the two complained, “Then I’ll just recreate the mess so I can find my stuff.”

“Well it’s messy.” I said, not looking up, continuing to hunt down the clothes that were sprawled all over their room. I found a pair of bright orange boxers on the clothes peg behind the door. I do not want to know how it got there; I was scared, wait terrified of the possible answer.

I shook my head, and folded them without complaint.

“Sora?” Zhoumi Oppa asked.

“Yes?”

“Are you wearing my shirt?”

“I think so why?”

“Yah! That’s my Prada shirt!” he half-yelled.

“Oh right, I found it in my bedroom.” I shrugged, and ran to change into another shirt; this one had Snoopy on it. I flashed back to the Jongin guy, and shuddered, shaking my head ferociously as to not be infected by him.

I walked out of my bedroom, and Zhoumi Oppa looked like he was planning on strangling me.

“I’m sorry.” I apologised, handing over his shirt.

He yanked it back, with his diva attitude, and strutted to his and Henry Oppa’s bedroom.

“I made him mad…” I said slowly.

“No way!” Henry slapped the back of my head, his voice thick with sarcasm. “And guess what? I have to put up with that tonight!”

“I said I was sorry.” I mumbled, ruffling my hair. There was a knock at the door, and I sped to answer it.

It was the Taemin look-alike, with yet another attractive guy. This one this time, has alabaster white skin, tousled hazel hair, and very light pink lips. He was slightly shorter than Jongin, and was a lot thinner, it seemed unhealthy and unnatural.

“Oh, Jongin.” I said flatly. “You brought a friend…”

“This is LuHan.” He pointed to the guy, who grinned, flashing his white canines. “He’s Chinese.”

“And you came up here because?” I opened the door wider.

“We finished your apple pie.”

“That was quick.”

“It tasted great!” the LuHan guy chimed, giving me a thumbs-up.

“Thanks.” I smiled modestly.

“Lay and D.O want your recipe.” Jongin shut up LuHan.

Lay… oh Yixing! And D.O was Kyungsoo!

“I’ll give it to your Maknae tomorrow, it’s late.”

“Yes it is.” Jongin the pan into my hands. Our hands came into contact once more, and I flinched at the hot touch.

“R-right. Goodnight Jongin. Goonight LuHan.” I bowed my head.

“No goodnight kiss?” Jongin said flirtatiously.

“No why would I kiss a stranger?”

“Strangers can be friends, but then they won’t be strangers anymore.” Jongin winked, “G’night Sora.”

“Yah, Kai you and Sora both have Snoopy shirts!” the LuHan guy exclaimed, with a laugh.

I blushed, and shut the door quickly, clutching the pan with all my might. I never stuttered, never blushed, never did anything awkward around guys.

I wondered why he was different. I scratched my head, confused, and came into contact with the cold wall right next to my bedroom door.

“Damn you.” I muttered to myself. “Damn you Kim Jongin. You remind me of Taemin.”

He was the only other guy that could do such things towards me.