Baby Steps

Encore Separation

BOOK 1 : Chapter 8

 

The girls applauded as Leeteuk, Heechul, Kangin, Shindong, Sungmin & Eunhyuk all went off the stage. After hearing great response from the judges and also their school's alumni: Choi Sunghee, Kim Yoojin, Yoo Sooyoung & Moon Heejun. The boys had to admit that they have a huge chance to make it to the finals using their trot style.

The the mini theater wasn't crowded at all since it's only auditions so the Girls occupied the front seats with the boys. Actually they were past the seats and standing directly just a few feet away below the stage. Kangin quickly went backstage to wish Taeyeon luck while all the boys exchanged hi-fives.

"Hyuk!" Donghae wrapped his arms around Eunhyuk's neck. "You're the best do you know that?!" Donghae continued to show his appreciation by playfully pulling Hyuk's hair.

Despite Hae's loving yet harsh act to him, Hyuk's eyes was caught by Hyoyeon who was happily approaching him. He hurriedly broke away from Hae and fixed his hair.

"Oppa you were great!" Hyuk couldn't stop his grin from showing at the sight before him. Donghae got a glimpse of the atmosphere and nodded while smiling widely to Hyuk before leaving the two.

Hyuk eyed him seriously but he was thankful that Hae's action was out of Hyoyeon's sight. "You really think I did well?" Hyuk shyly asked her.

"Are you kidding you were fantastic!" Hyoyeon reached out her hand attempting to only give him a few taps on his shoulder but he unexpectedly wrapped his arms around her.

Hyoyeon was frozen up, she wonders why the two of them always end up in this kind of situation. The two of them would be in the middle of a sweet moment then awkwardly breaking away from each other. She thought how bothersome it was still she returns a hug.

Eunhyuk opened his eyes that were closed from the happiness he felt. By doing so he realized two things, first is he's not dreaming and yes he is currently hugging Hyoyeon, second is. . . . Donghae is watching them with a smirk in his face. He calmly let her go and flashed the most confident smile he could show to her. "Thanks for the complement! I'll go tell them about that." He casually walked to the others.

"I saw that." Hyoyeon sheiked and turned around. Sooyoung only whispered in her ear but she was totally startled.

"You!" Hyoyeon slightly hits her arms. "Why did you do that?"

"What did I do?" Sooyoung played innocent. "But I can't help it. You two are just so obvious you know."

Hyoyeon sighed in defeat. "You better go to Hankyung before I do something else to you."

"Yeah right like you would try to hurt me." Sooyoung crossed her arms and smiles at her.

Hyoyeon gave her the most intimidating stare and Sooyoung quickly went to her namjachingu.

~_~_~

The girls were happy for the boys but they couldn't help but be nervous as well knowing that after the current performer, their Taeyeon-unnie is next. Still Yoona smiles widely and congratulates her oppas in advance.

"Leeteuk-oppa you guys were great!" Yoona jumped up and down while she receives a pat on the head by him.

"Thank you Yoona! Ah Kangin's back. Great the others too." Leeteuk excused himself but Yoona still energetically greats the others, Until... her feet were glued to the floor and her eyes widen.

Kibum was staring at her not very far. Last thing she knew she was hugged tightly and her hair was ruffled.

She then realized Donghae was smiling in front of her. "Oppa..."

"Did you hear those judges Yoona!? Did you?! Did you?!" Donghae was now the one jumping up and down because of happiness.

"Neh oppa..." Just then she turned to gazed back at Kibum again but she felt a slight disappointment went she found out he wasn't there anymore.

Donghae started to feel a little guilty. 'I shouldn't have bothered her'. Donghae's body urged himself to move away but when he did he received a hit on the shoulder by Yoona. She had her lips pursed and a eyebrows crossed.

He can deny the fact that he was worried and scared. Why must he be too childish around her? Well who can blame him, it's the only way he can be close to her.

"You messed my hair?!" He was then relieved and managed to smile. He laughed at her whining and they continued to watch the other contestants, patiently waiting for Taeyeon's turn.

~_~_~

Taeyeon felt like she was waiting for hours the moment she was left backstage by the boys. She was silently watching each and every contestants and nervously waiting for her turn. Why did she agree to do this? 

"Taeyeon-ah!" She exhaled deeply not even knowing she was holding back her breath. "Taeyeon-ah" Kangin called her again before giving her a sincerely big hug. "Don't be nervous. You going to be OK!"

She answers him with not so confident nod and smiles.

"I'm going back to them OK." He was about to leave but Taeyeon forcefully pulled him.

"Oppa can't you stay here?" her voice nearly shaking, practically begging for him to stay.

"But your next right? It's gonna be your turn later and we are all gonna be watching you up front and personal!" He tries to cheer her up a bit. As much as he want to stay, only next performers are allowed back stage to avoid too much chaos. His "forgotten" cell phone was his reason to gain limited short access. "You gonna do fine...Araso?" He pats her head and went on his way.

Just a few minutes past, it was finally her turn. Still a bit uncertain about her performance, she gathers her strength and readied herself to appear on stage.

"Next is Kim Taeyeon."

She tightly grasp the mic, pushes away her nervousness. Suddenly her hand was grabbed by someone before she takes a step. She turns looks at the person and a widely smile of full happiness appears at her face. 

"You'll do good Taeyeon. Show them how great you are." He quickly flashes a smile and went outside the backstage.

"Gomawo Leeteuk, jeongmal gomawo." Even she knows he won't hear it anymore she just needed to voice it out before finally stepping on stage and starts her performance.

~_~_~

"Where's Leeteuk! He's gonna miss my Taeyeon's performance." As if it was a key, Leeteuk came running by his side.

"What did i miss?" Leeteuk asked the them.

"Where did you go?" Kangin curiously asked.

"Neh oppa." Yoona barged in their topic. "When you saw Kangin you said you were gonna talk to him but you-" then cut short when Donghae, who was behind her, covered .

"Can you be quiet? Can't you see your unnie is starting?" Yoona pulls his hand away and even attempted to bite it but he quickly snatched it away from her grip.

~_~_~

At last all performers stood on stage, all having the desire to make it to the finals, all anxious to know the decision of the judges.

The moment Choi Sunghee, Kim Yoojin, Yoo Sooyoung & Moon Heejun stood up from their seats and started announcing. Every name that they spoke only makes the boys & girls more nervous.

"Leeteuk, Heechul, Kangin, Sungmin, Shindong & Eunhyuk. Congratulations you're going to the finals." hearing those words directly from Moon Heejun they went down the stage and celebrated with the others. But their victory celebration quickly stopped once they noticed Taeyeon was still waiting on stage with her eyes shut closed.

The judges then began calling names again but this times they randomly say 'Congratulations & Sorry' to other contestants. Realizing her situation, Taeyeon stood strong despite the fact that she was in the verge of tearing up.

Then she was the only one left on the stage.

"Kim Taeyeon..." she opens her eyes that are slightly wet. She sees the judges shaking their heads in front of her. Moon Heejun blankly stares. "We really can't believe what you just did."

Was her performance that bad? But her friends told her is was good enough.....

Maybe it wasn't just good enough for the judges....

"Get off this stage..." Moon Heejun told her coldly. She drags her feet across the stage. "But remember this".
She unsurely looked back and saw Moon Heejun smirk "Get ready for the finals. You earned the highest score today. Congratulations."

She couldn't close the moment she meets up with her 'sisters'. She heard a lot of congratulatory words both from the boys and girls and of course a congratulatory hug from Kangin.

It took a few minutes before the whole group finally calmed down and went outside the mini theater.

"Wait! wait!" as usual, Sooyoung and her naturally loud mouth caught their attention. "Should we celebrate?"

"Good idea!" Hankyung placed an arm over shoulder as they walked together. "Let's have dinner at our dorm!"

"Let's buy cake too!" Yuri suggested.

They all stopped outside the school gate and discussed. "Yesung-ah since you won't last year you should buy the cake." Eunhyuk blurted out the group.

"And since it's Yuri's idea." Hyoyeon pushed Yuri to Yesung. "She should pick the cake."

Hyoyeon & Eunhyuk hi-fived each other. Hyuk, again unexpectedly held tighter without realizing his actions. Once again lost in her thoughts but recovered herself and yanked her hand away.

The other's could help but chuckle and giggled at their sight. Yuri surely wants to object but she held it inside, she knew she was the best when it comes to dessert anyway so she just pouted while Yesung still remains numb thinking his money is will soon run away from his pocket.

"Why do i have to buy it?! Siwon & Kyuhyun have the most money allowance!" He loudly whines, as a result, he got a taste of his own medicine when Yuri placed a finger on his lips causing the group to roar in laughter.

"Nice job Yuri we finally had revenge our revenge" Shindong laughed louder seeing Yesung's annoyed face.

"Ahh, Lets just go we'll deliver the cake at our dorm." Yesung unwillingly gave up.

"Make it fast Yesung my Sooyoung likes dessert." Hankyung took advantage to bully him.

"Go cook dinner!" Yesung loudly shouts from afar.

~_~_~

The whole group enjoyed their victory celebration at the boys dorm. Well with the exception of Sungmin, Sunny, Tiffany & Siwon. They are still avoiding one another.

The girls decided to stay a little longer even when the night is getting deeper. 8PM but staying 30 minutes more won't be a bother.

Tiffany went to the park near the boys dorm. Cold weather never bothered her to walk and emerged herself in her thoughts. Was she making good decisions lately? She stopped at her tracks.

"Why did you leave us there?" she looked up at Siwon and just shook her head.

Tiffany sits at the backless bench beside her and Siwon did the same. He took a seat beside her but facing the opposite direction.

Silence fills up their atmosphere. Cold wind started to blow more. Siwon took off his jacket and placed it over her. Who cares if he's only wearing a sweater over a denim shirt, his Fany needs to be warm.

"Why are you being this nice to me Siwon?" she didn't moved a bit once she felt his warm jacket over her.

"I think you already know the answer to that." He blows air out of his mouth and began to speak again. "Fany-ah, when you said 'mianhae' what did you really mean?"

She thought he would never hear him having that kind of serious tone. It was her turn to exhale deeply before answering. "To be honest..... I don't know, I just had this feeling in me that I have to tell you that."

He wasn't contented with her answer. He wanted to asked her more, if necessary interrogate her more. All his thoughts were shattered away when he felt Tiffany laid back and rested her head over his shoulder.

He doesn't know if he should be thankful that she can't see his face because he doesn't know if it's red  already.

"Can we not talk about it." she sounded calm and quiet, almost tired. "Right now, I feel fine." a short bitter like laugh escaped her lips. "If only we could be like this but for now I want to pretend I never heard what you said that time."

He thought her words would bring pain but for some reasons he felt relieved because of what she said.

"When told me your feelings we started to bother the group a lot so for now can you do the same..." he didn't speak like he's waiting for something that would urge him to say yes.

She slightly moves away and turns to look at him. Their eyes met once again.

"...for me?" she smiles at him. He nods as he returns the favor to her.

When the night became too deep for the girls, it was time for them to go home.

~_~_~

3 Days Later

Jessica was rushing to her classroom. Waking up late a realizing she has to borrow a few books from the library before going to class leaves her panting. With the heavy loads from her bag and additional books, she can't walk any faster to catch up in her first class.

"Need help princess?" She looks at her right and sees none other than Kim Heechul

"Oh thank you oppa?" He grabs the three books from her and walked together in a fast pace.

"Why are the girls not with you?"

"Well, I told them that I would go to class later cause, as you can see, I have to get some books from the library."

He nodded his head and looked at her then back at his tracks "Next time take some one with you when getting some things. Seriously, I don't like my ice princess when she's melting."

She laughed at his remark but he shook his head.

"I'm serious look at your forehead it's sweating a lot." He stopped for a moment when they reached her classroom. "You look untidy fix yourself first."

He commended with seriously tone but she knew he was being sarcastic again. She scrunched her nose then rubs her forehead at his sleeve.

"Yah! why did you do that?!" She giggled at his reaction while she fixed her hair.

"Now your the untidy one." She makes a swift escape and enters her classroom.

"Aish, this girl"

~_~_~

The school bells rings again and they proceeded to the cafeteria. Since Siwon and Tiffany are now casually talking the each other everything went smoothly. Well almost smoothly, of course Sungmin and Sunny in still visible in their eyes. Sunny left them early saying she will just go the bathroom then go direct to her class. When she was out of sight Sungmin excused himself too.

Sunny wonders why she went to that room again. Here she is right in front of the music room. The same music room she and him had the most memorable quarrel.

She enters the room and a glimpse of nostalgic feeling overflows her body.

A loud bang from the door jumps her back to reality. "What are you doing here?!" She angrily asked him.

"I could ask you the same thing." 

She felt annoyed by him more and more. She was about to make an exit but Sungmin grabbed a chair and placed it before the door.

He then grabs a guitar and sat on the chair. She was literally dumbfounded by his actions. "What is planning to do now?"

Not a moment later Sungmin began to sing.

She suddenly felt numb after that. All her past actions were running back in her mind like it's on rewind.

"Sunny-ah, I wasn't staying away from. I just don't want your uncle to suspect you of anything negative." He paused and put down the guitar. "Still I couldn't get mad at you from misunderstanding me." He walks to her and held her hands. He smiled and sighed a relieve when she didn't suddenly snatched it away.

"I think this means that we can be friends again right?" Sunny smiled at him. He can't remember how much he misses that smile, how much he wants to hold her hand again, how long he waited to be with her again.

"No." Her smile disappeared and left open because of surprise. "Lee Sunkyu, can you be my secret girlfriend?"

Sunny smile became wider. His question was not what she exactly wanted but understanding their situation, she nods her head and hugs him tight.

"Sunny-ah." Sungmin held out his pinky finger. "Promise that only your 'sisters' and my 'brothers' will know about this. OK"

Sunny intertwined hers. He took the opportunity and move forward, landing a kiss at her cheeks then giggled before exiting the music room.

~_~_~

"Makane where are you going?" Taeyeon asked her when they left the classroom.

"Taeyeon-unnie, I'll go home by myself later."

"Why is that? Your gonna leave me with them?" Points to Sunny and Tiffany "They are still under going 'recovery' and it's feels weird when I see them smiling randomly and her." points to Yuri "She is naturally a random girl."

Tiffany and Sunny exchanged looks at each other then they both placed their arms over Taeyeon.

"Taeyeon-ah, why are you saying those silly thing to our maknae?" Fany giggle awkwardly.

"Neh, our maknae is old enough she can take care of herself." Sunny gives her a glare.

"Seohyun-ah are you sure about that." Yuri worriedly asked but Seohyun just nodded politely.

Taeyeon sighed. "If your probably just gonna advance study again make sure you call us every hour araso?!"

"Neh unnie. Araso."

Seohyun walked the same path 3 days ago. She peeks at the mini theater and glanced a around. Only Choi Sunghee, Kim Yoojin, Yoo Sooyoung & Moon Heejun were present at the room. They maybe making their last minute preparations before finalizing the event.

Slowly and shaking, she walk to them. "Annyeong hasaeyo."

"Oh what is a young student doing here after school hours?" Choi Sunghee politely asked.

"I'd l-l-like to a-audition..." She stuttered in front of them. She purposely went their after school hours so that no one will be present at the moment.

"Young lady." she nervously glanced at Yoo Sooyoung "It's the last day of audition and all the spots are taken since school time is over."

"Correction, not all of it." Moon Heejun interrupted "Few students only auditioned for the duet part and most of them are not qualified but pending."

"But I'm the only one here, can't I be in the solos?"

"Sorry miss but there is just no other way. maybe next time..." Kim Yoojin stated firmly.

Seohyun's shoulder went down as she starts to exit the mini theater just then "Wait, wait, wait!" She heard a familiar voice causing all of them to glance at him.

"Can I sing with her?" He approaches them and her eyes opened in surprise.

"Kyuhyun-ssi..."

"OK what song will you sing together?" Moon Heejun staight forwardly asked.

"Wait we didn't prepare anything." Seohyun began to panic a little.

"OK miss- eh.."

"Seo Joohyun but please call me Seohyun."

"Miss Seohyun, sing a song."

"Right here?" she nervously asked.

"Why you want to go up the stage?"

"A-aniyo.." She firsly calms herself and exhaled deeply then she started to sing.

The judges all looked at each other and looked impressed by her singing.

"Now you start..." Moon Heejun then commands Kyuhyun.

'Why did I follow her here anyway and what did I just got myself into?' Kyuhyun stopped his whining and prepared himself to sing.

The judges clapped and smiled. Satisfied with the both of them.

"Congratulations, We hope to see as a duet on finals OK!" Moon Heejun delivered a realization statement to the both of them.

Seohyun and Kyuhyun didn't noticed before because it all happened to fast. As they took their rides back home both are having the same thoughts. All they know now is they will perform a duet performance at the auditorium in the next 2 weeks.

 

Finally done. Yieee their are all starting to take baby steps (by TaeTiSeo) into deeply liking each other. Also the most requested SunSun, SiFany & SeoKyu pairing is quite in demand to I placed extra longer and extra sweeter moment for them here. So what should I do next? I have no idea... stay tuned. Please and Thank you !!!