The First Day

Dog Life

It was so cold. Was it his end? Did the voice lie to him?

 

-Hey! Are you okay?

 

It was that human voice! He opened his eyes. His body was so heavy, was he dying?

 

-Can you hear me? Are you okay? What are you doing in the middle of the street?

 

He can understand him...since when? ? What was going on?

 

-There, take my jacket, you must be cold.

 

He took the jacket with his hand...hand? He got up, now as tall as the human, well alive, but so different. He was...human? The kind human took him to his studio, giving him some clothes. The once upon a time dog obeyed the human, staying silent. The human sat next to him, smiling.

 

-What is your name? Mine his Lee Hyukjae, but everybody calls me Eunhyuk.

-I am...

 

This felt so strange, words, human words, came out of his mouth, like he knew this language forever. What was his name, again? His master did give him one.

 

-Donghae.

-That's your full name?

 

Oh right, the hu...Eunhyuk gave him two names. He didn't have a first name...He had to improvised.

 

-Lee Donghae.

-Well, Donghae, what were you doing in the middle of the street like that?

 

Donghae looked confused. He shook his head.

 

-I don't know.

-Do you have a place to stay?

-No...

 

He became sad. He was still homeless, after all...Eunhyuk smiled.

 

-I guess...I can make you stay at my apartment until you can get back on your feet. I'll help you out if you want.

 

Donghae smile. He was really kind, to humans and dogs. He hugged Eunhyuk to say thanks, a big smile on his face. The man froze, but seeing he was just affectionate and thankful, he smiled.

 

-Okay then. Do you have a job?

-A...job?

 

Eunhyuk just looked at him with a blank expression, then sighted. He muttered something to himself before taking his wrist to make the newly man get up.

 

-Let's find you some better clothes.

-Okay...

 

They got out of the building and went shopping. There were so many people! The lost dog looked around, impressed by the life of humans. He was following the man who helped him, trying the clothes the man wanted him to try, having no fashion senses. He then followed him to what seemed like a apartment building. The apartment was a big loft, luxurious and comfortable, quite big for a single person. Didn't it feel lonely sometimes? Eunhyuk looked at him with a smile.

 

-You can take the couch, I'll give you some blankets and a pillow. Do you want to eat something?

 

Donghae looked at the kitchen, which was in the same as the living room, only Eunhyuk's room and the bathroom were seperated of the rest. He saw some red fruits on the counter. The smell was familiar. He approached the bol full of this small red fruit and looked at Eunhyuk.

 

-You like strawberries too? It's my favorite fruit.

 

Donghae took one and ate it. It was the same thing he gave him the first time they met!It was the fruit that make him want to live again! This must be such a special fruit! He took another one. The man came closer, laughing.

 

-Don't eat them all!

-Sorry...

-Don't worry about it, I was just joking. I'll make us a good diner and then, we will go to sleep. You must be tired, no?

-A little.

 

The skinny man made streak. Donghae drooled over the counter; he had always dreamed of eating a streak, his first master only gave him dry food and water. If he was lucky, he would get a bone, but it's pretty much it. They ate at the small table, not talking much. It was quite a weird situation for the both of them: Donghae having such a nice meal and Eunhyuk seeing the man he just met eating like he never ate anything. He was a bit skinny, yes, he did found him in the street, but he wasn't near dying also. He laugh. Donghae looked up.

 

-You are a strange person, Donghae!

 

He couldn't be more right.

 

They then went to bed. After saying goodnight, Eunhyuk went to his room, leaving Dongahe alone in the living room, a pillow and a blanket in his arm. He laid on the couch with a smile. Today was really a lucky day. Nice food, nice place to sleep and a kind human to take care of him. Didn't the voice say something about paying something? Oh well, whatever it was, it couldn't be that bad.