♫ Wish Tree

Read: Music

"It’s like an angel came down and kissed me
Snowflakes are blooming"


It's Christmas Eve.

Everyone in the town is ready to celebrate the joyful day. The street is covered by white snow but it doesn't stop people from being busy in preparing the day.

The stores are filled with customers, looking for perfect Christmas gifts. The florists are preparing the customized bouquets. The bakeries are busy with the special cake orders.

Everyone in the town is ready to welcome the Christmas Day.

And here I am trying to make a reason why I should be happy on Christmas Day.


"The shining lights past the cold glass window
The cold streets wait for the first snow
In the joy that spreads little by little"


There's a small toy store at the corner of street. It's not as big as the new department store which is always full of people. The interior is simple but cozy and the owner is a young, polite man.

"Oh, Mr Kim," I hear the owner greets his customer who just entered the store. "Picking up the special presents with the little angel, I see."

The man laughs, holding the little girl's hand who stands next to him with a bright smile, "Oh, come on, I've told you before to call me by name only, Taehyung. I'm your regular already!"

The owner lets out a soft laughter, "Ah, right. Wait a minute, Namjoon. I'll get your orders."

He walks through the door behind him, to the place where he stores the ordered toys. The customer's daughter tugs her father's hand playfully, "Dad! Dad! Look! It's shining, shining! That tree is shining!"

Her father looks at what his daughter is talking about: a Christmas tree at the center of the town square.

"We have one at home already, remember?" the man pats her head. His daughter whines that the one they have is too small. Hearing this, Kim Namjoon gives the girl a warm smile.

"Even though it's small, it's our Christmas tree. It's the tree that our family decorated together. Remember when you put the star on top of the tree? Remember when you took a picture of your little brother next to the tree? Now, do you still want that bigger tree?"

The girl pouts for two seconds before she shakes her head, "No, Dad. I like our Christmas tree better."


"Even crying babies fall asleep tonight
On top of the frozen branches
Snowflakes fall one by one"


"Oh! Hey! Hey!" a voice catches my attention when I am going to cross the road.

Tucking my hands inside my coat's pockets, I turn around to see a man around my age, rushing to my side. His hands are holding a big flower bouquet but his face beams with happiness, "Do you mind to help me for a second?"

I don't even have a second to respond him. He hands over the bouquet, "Hold this. A moment. Oh, green! We should cross the road now. Come on!"

We cross the road quickly and I notice that, even after he handed the flowers to me, his hand is still holding something else: a teddy bear and a white rose.

"Now, the address. Where is it?" the man looks for something in his pocket. "Ah, here it is. It's just two blocks away from here. Sorry, can you help me to carry this bouquet for another minute?"

I am in a complete confusion because he believes me as easy as that. He turns around, looking for the address. I automatically follow him in silence until he stops at the house with number B7.

He presses the bell button twice before a woman opens the door for him. In her hug, a baby boy is sleeping as if he knows he is at the safest place in the world.

"Oh, Mrs Kim? I'm Jimin from VJ Florist. Your husband ordered Christmas gifts from my best friend's toy store so here's a bouquet of flowers as our appreciation."

He gives me a sign to step closer with the flowers. The woman lets me to step inside, telling me if I can help her putting the flowers on the table. Jimin then puts the teddy bear next to the bouquet, "And here's the cute bear for the baby!"

"Oh my, this is all so sweet of you!" Mrs Kim smiles at us. "How can I even thank you?"

Jimin gives a wide grin, "Have a merry Christmas with your family!"

Once again, Mrs Kim thanks us. Jimin and I leave the house without another word. None of us says anything until he is going to cross the road again.

Jimin turns to me and, this time, he gives me the rose, "This is yours. Thanks for helping me. You can give it for your special one!"

I haven't said anything but, just when the sign changes, he has rushed to cross the road after he waves to me, "Merry Christmas!"


"Kids lining up to meet Santa
Twinkling eyes, bright smiles
I used to be like that back in the days"


The city park is especially crowded today.

With the white rose in my hand, I walk pass the park, watching the line of little children moving forward. Their parents are around, smiling with happiness. At the front, there's a person dressed in Santa Claus' costume.

The Santa Claus is sitting on a red sleigh which is filled with various toys. I can hear the iconic Santa Claus' laughter as he listens to each child's wish.

I remember I once lined up like these kids when I was little. Now that I'm all grown up, somehow I have forgotten how it felt back then.

A little girl trips down on her way to the queue. A boy who is slightly older than her has joined the queue but he leaves it immediately. She looks like she is going to cry when he scolds her, "I told you to be careful!"

He pulls her to stand up on her feet before cleaning the snow from her coat carefully, "Are you hurt? Tell me if you feel hurt somewhere."

He holds her hand and leads her to the queue. I take a few steps forward and, within a moment, it's their turn to greet the Santa Claus. The boy gives his sister the sign to talk to the Santa Claus.

"Santa, what is your name? Is it really Santa Claus?" the girl asks and I can see that her brother rolls his eyes upon the question.

The man in Santa Claus' costum laughs happily, "Oh, well, my name is Hoseok but, no, please just call me Santa! So what is your Christmas wish, little angel?"

"I wish my brother will celebrate Christmas with us!" she says with excitement. The Santa Claus asks her back if the boy next to her is the brother she's talking about.

"I have two brothers! Our older brother is working today. He said he will give us a Christmas gift but I don't need one. I just wish three of us can be together today!"

The Santa Claus smiles warmly, "That wish will definitely come true."


"On top of the aromatic gingerbread Christmas tree
Small snowflakes give off a scent
Inside, a small spring flower shyly dreams"


I stand in silence, staring at the 'open' sign on the door. I startle a little when the door is pulled open from inside.

It's a boy who works part-time at the cafe. He thanks the customer who just steps out from the building, "Thank you for coming! Merry Christmas!"

Closing the door behind him, I take steps to the door before pushing it, walking in the small but neat cafe. There are Christmas decorations everywhere and people are picking up their cakes at the cashier.

One by one of the customers leaves the cafe with bright smile. There are only a young couple and a family of four left when the cafe owner, who has been standing behind the cashier bar, leaves his spot.

"Yoongi," he approaches the part-timer. He hands over a cake box to him, "Here."

"Oh, another delivery? What's the address, Mr Kim?" the part-timer quickly takes off his apron.

His supervisor chuckles, "No, it's for you and your family. You can return now. I'm going to close the shop earlier anyway today."

"Eh?" Yoongi looks confused. "R-R-Really? I-Is it okay? I mean..."

The owner assures him, "Yes. Go home. Celebrate it with your siblings. It's Christmas Eve and you help me more than you should already."

As the part-timer leaves after thanking his supervisor, the young couple also walks out from the cafe. I still stand at my place, not moving.

He looks at me and smiles, "Picking up a cake?"

Before I manage to answer him, the family has got ready to leave. The father walks to the cashier and greets him, "As delicious as always. Thank you. Merry Christmas, Seokjin."

The kids wave to the owner and so does their mother. The four of them walk away, leaving only me and Seokjin alone. Still, a smile stays on his face.

"Here's yours," he takes a cake box and gives me a sign to come closer. "A Chantilly Cake, right? Your favorite."

I blink, "I didn't order anything."

"You didn't," Seokjin hands the cake to me. "My sister did."


"The first wish is for you and I to be happy like we were today"


With the right hand holding a white rose and left hand gripping the cake box, I walk back to home. On my way back, I walk pass the house that received the free bouquet of flowers from VJ Florist.

From the window I can see the family is gathering around the small Christmas tree, surrounded by warmth and love.

Even if I return now, there's no one waiting for me. It's me who chose to leave my hometown and come here, looking for a job after graduating. Now that I still haven't had a proper job, how could I return to my hometown?

I glance at the cake box and just notice that there's a small greeting card attached to it. I open the card to find the familiar handwritings.

"I wish we will be happy, like we always do everyday."


"The second wish is to always be together even after several winters"


The city park is not as crowded as before. The line of kids are nowhere to be found as the sun has set down. I sit at the park bench, looking around.

"Oh!"

A little voice grabs my attention. It's the little girl who asked for the Santa Claus' name. She runs towards a direction with her brother behind. My eyes find the part-timer at Seokjin's cafe metres from her.

The little girl hugs Yoongi tight. The younger boy asks, "Aren't you supposed to be working?"

Yoongi messes his hair, "Got off earlier. Look what I have? A Christmas cake!"

"Santa Claus fulfilled my wish! Three of us are together now!" the little girl exclaims with happiness. "Let's be together again next Christmas!"

Three of them walk away from the park, holding hands. I intertwine my fingers, unconsciously smile upon the heartwarming view.


"The third wish is for all the other wishes to come true"


"I know you'll come here."

I look up and our eyes meet. We exchange a smile before she takes a seat next to me. She looks at the cake box, "I see that you received the cake already."

"It's the park where we met five years ago," I look straight at nothing. "Also the place where I confessed to you."

She still has her adorable chuckle, "It's just like today. It's snowy day. It's cold but I felt so warm that day."

"I thought I told you that it's okay for you not to come here," I turn to her. "I'd call you anyway later. You know I never break my promise."

She stands up and offers her hand to me, "I know but how can I miss the first Christmas with my husband?"

I take her hand, standing up as I take the white rose that I put on top of the cake box. She smiles sweetly when I give the flower to her. Seconds later, I pull her for a hug, burying my face in her hair, "Merry Christmas."

Santa Claus does exist. We can always be ones. I have mine in my embrace now.

"Merry Christmas, Jungkook."


"Underneath, let’s quietly hold hands and make a wish"

 

 

* * * * *

 

 

 

This story is based on "Wish List" by Red Velvet.

Wishing everyone a (belated) Merry Christmas and may you all will have a wonderful New Year!