Archery

77 Words

 

“No!” Changmin said firmly.
 
“Please?” Junsu begged.
 
“No. Junsu, no. I don’t have time.” Changmin was annoyed.
 
“You have plenty of time. You’re on the archery team. Just teach me in the morning when you practice.”
 
“Why? Why do you want to learn so bad?” Changmin was bordering on angry. Junsu had never shown interest in archery before.
 
“Well, we’re doing archery in gym class and we are having a test. I need to get 75 points to pass. I can’t even get 10 points. Please help me?”
 
Changmin rolled his eyes, “fine. Fine, just stop whining. I practice at 5 am. If you aren’t on the field when I get here I’m not going to help.”
 
“Thank you Changminnie!” Junsu jumped up and down and threw his arms around Changmin’s neck. “I could kiss you right now!”
 
“Oh god, please don’t.” Changmin pushed the shorter boy  off of him. “Get off of me.”
 
“Thanks again, Min. I’ll see you tomorrow!”
 
Changmin watched his friend as he turned the corner to his street. Tomorrow  was going to be hell. Junsu was his friend, but he hated trying to teach people about archery. Most people just didn’t get it.
 
He sighed as  he climbed the stairs to his bedroom. He flopped down on his bed, worn out completing and not wanting to do any homework at all. He thought about Junsu hugging him. It felt oddly… Right. It was comfortable and Junsu’s arms were warm around his neck. He wondered how he could get Junsu to hug him again.
 
Changmin procrastinated until his mother called down for supper.
 
“Are you feeling well?” his mother asked when she noticed Changmin barely picked at his food.
 
“I’m fine. Just tired, I guess.”
 
“Maybe you shouldn’t practice tomorrow.”
 
“I have to!” Changmin shouted. “Sorry. I mean I promised someone I would help them.”
 
“Okay. Just don’t over work yourself.”
 
“I won’t Mom. I have to go finish my homework.”
 
It didn’t take long for Changmin to decide to abandon homework completely. He was a straight A student; he could afford to miss one assignment. He turned off his lamp and just went to bed. He slept fitfully, his dreams filled with a certain dolphin voice student.
 
 
He skipped his shower in the morning, deciding to shower after gym class first period. He wanted to get to the practice field early. He was surprised to see Junsu already at the field, practicing.
 
“I can tell what you are doing wrong already,” Changmin called.
 
Junsu jumped, startled by the sudden appearance of his friend. “Christ, Min. Warn a guy before you appear out of nowhere. What am I doing wrong?”
 
“You’re using the wrong bow. That one is much too heavy for you. Try this one.” Changmin pulled a smaller bow from his bag. Junsu sneered at the bow; it was bright pink. “Look, I had to pilfer my sister’s. I couldn’t find my old one. I‘ll try to find it before your test.”
 
Junsu took the bow apprehensively. It was much lighter than the one he had been using and he was able to pull the string back farther. He strung the arrow, pulled, and released. He was shocked to see that he actually hit the target. He grinned as he watched Changmin stroll to the target and yank the arrow out.
 
“Good. Now let’s work on technique. Stand like this.” Changmin moved behind Junsu and pushed his shoulders into the proper position.
 
They practiced until the warning bell sounded and Changmin was genuinely impressed by Junsu’s progress.
 
The day seemed longer than usual and Changmin was relieved when lunch finally came around. He took his normal seat in the corner and waited for his friends to join him.
 
Yunho was the first to show up with a new boy in toe. Yoochun and Junsu arrived together; Changmin’s heart sank a little when he noticed Junsu holding Yoochun’s hand.
 
Yunho’s voice shocked him back to reality. “You okay, Min? You looked lost for a minute.”
 
Changmin just muttered something about being tired before hastily excusing himself from the table. He spent the remainder of the lunch period sitting under a tree. Oddly thinking about Junsu.
 
The end of the day found him walking home alone. He couldn’t place the source of his melancholy feelings.
 
Junsu was a new friend. He and Yoochun had a class together and had gotten close during the course of the year. “Too close,” Changmin thought bitterly. He couldn’t place the source of his bitter feelings.
 
 
The next morning once again found Changmin on the archery field with his short dolphin voiced friend. Although he hated to admit it, Junsu was a quick learner. Only two days of practice and he had already improved immensely.
 
“When is your test?” Changmin asked when he heard the warning bell.
 
“Tomorrow. I think I’ll pass. All thanks to you.” Junsu smiled. “I really wouldn’t be able to pass with you.”
 
“It’s nothing.” Changmin blushed slightly.
 
“I really mean it. Oh! You know what, you should let me take you out for dinner tomorrow night. As a thank you.”
 
“I could argue right now, but I won’t win, will I?”
 
Junsu laughed, “no you won’t. And you’ll be late for class.”
 
Changmin shook his head as he watched Junsu enter his class room. Would it be such a horrible thing to go to dinner with his friend? Changmin smiled at the possibility of getting to know Junsu better.
 
The rest of the day crawled by and by the end of it Changmin was fighting a migraine. He wanted to get home and rest.
 
He wasn’t prepared for Junsu to be waiting for him at the gates of the school.
 
“Hi.”
 
“Hey,” Changmin replied softly.
 
“You ok?” Junsu sounded legitimately concerned.
 
“Yeah, just a headache.”
 
“I think I have some aspirin in my back pack. Would you like some?”
 
“No. Thanks, I’ll be fine.” Changmin winced at the sound of his own voice.
 
Junsu grabbed Changmin’s hand and dragged him over to a bench. “Sit. Let me do something for you.” 
 
Changmin followed Junsu’s orders and sat on the bench. His shoulders tensed when he felt Junsu’s hands on them.
 
“Relax. I’m not going to hurt you.” Junsu massaged his shoulders. He moved to Changmin’s neck, place his thumbs on either side of the vertebrae at the base of his skull and pressed as he rotated his thumbs slowly.
 
Changmin moaned lowly as he felt his neck crack, seemingly releasing pressure somewhere in his skull and nearly curing his headache. “Where did you learn to do that?”
 
“Mom’s a chiropractor. She uses me to practice. Feel better?”
 
“Much. Thank you.”
 
Junsu sat on the bench. “Thanks again, Changmin. I know you don’t really like people. And I know I can be annoying at times.” Junsu took a chance and leaned over, kissing Changmin’s cheek quickly. He jumped up from the bench and nearly ran home.
 
Changmin sat there confused for a moment. He touched his cheek where Junsu’s lips had just been. He shrugged it off and made his way back home.
 
He was suddenly anxious about dinner with Junsu tomorrow night. He could barely concentrate on his homework and had lost his appetite for dinner.
 
The next day he found himself counting seconds until school let out. He raced home and up the stairs to his room. He flung his uniform off and stood in front of his closest in his boxers, trying to pick out the perfect outfit for dinner with Junsu.
 
He settled, yes settled, on a pair of dark grey pants, a white tee shirt, and a black cardigan. He finished dressing just as he heard the door bell ring. He raced his younger sister to the door and flung it open.
 
“Hi Junsu!” he nearly shouted.
 
“Hi,” Junsu raised an eyebrow at his friend. “Ready to go?”
 
“Yeah.” Changmin stepped outside quickly.
 
“Keys? And maybe a jacket? It’s cold tonight.”
 
“Right. . Give me a second.” Changmin mentally slapped himself. He was acting so awkward.
 
“You okay?” Junsu asked when Changmin reemerged from his house.
 
Changmin pulled on his jacket. “Yeah. I’m fine. Where are we going?”
 
“I hadn’t really thought about it,” Junsu replied sheepishly. “What are you in the mood for?”
 
“Anything is fine.” Changmin climbed into Junsu’s car, still feeling a little off.
 
“I’m sorry!” Junsu blurted out suddenly. “I mean… For the kiss, earlier. I just… The thing is, I think I kinda like you.” Junsu turned a deep shade of red.
 
“What do you mean?” Changmin asked, blushing just as deeply.
 
“Just what I said.” Junsu pulled the car into a parking lot. “You’re really handsome. And funny, smart. If you don’t like me, it’s okay. I’m kind of-”
 
Changmin moved quickly, cutting off Junsu’s chatter with a kiss. He tangled his fingers into Junsu’s hair, controlling the way he moved his head. Junsu relaxed and let Changmin control the kiss. Changmin tilted his head to get a better angle. He nipped at Junsu’s bottom lip, coaxing him to open his mouth. Junsu complied, slightly into the kiss. Changmin tightened his grip on Junsu’s hair, practically pulling him on to his lap.
 
Junsu pulled away first, a deep blush hot on his cheeks. “So…” he laughed nervously.
 
“So. I’ve never had a boyfriend before. I think it’s something I’d like to try.”
 
Junsu leaned forward and whispered, “I think I’d like to try that too.”
 
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, I've realized I have a really bad problem with endings... I'll work on that. -__-