Garden

77 Words

    A small girl, no older than 5, sat on a pink and blue blanket in the warm sunshine. She was the very image of her father, down to a small mole above her lip. “Daddy?” she asked.
    “Yes, Honey-Bee?” Yunho was tending a flower garden in front of a large impressive school that he could never hope to afford to send his daughter to.
    “Do angels really live in gardens?”
    “Who told you that, Boyeong?” Yunho always felt uncomfortable when his daughter asked him questions regarding anything even remotely spiritual.
    “One the eonnis that goes to school in the big building. She was reading a story and told everyone that angels live in gardens and if you take care of the garden angels can bring messages to heaven.”
    “It was just a story,” Yunho said bluntly. He was going to have to keep a closer eye on his daughter when they were at the school. While he was thankful the school offered free day care for the staff, he didn’t like the ideas that they were putting into her head.
    The sun was setting as the duo headed back to their tiny home. Yunho counted himself lucky he was able to find a home at all. The death of his Boyeong’s mother had destroyed him and sent him into a downward spiral of drinking that ended with his sister taking Boyeong for a time while he sobered up.
    He was barely able to get her back. Now, Yunho did everything he could to keep his daughter safe. He bought the one bedroom house and slept on the sofa. He cooked, cleaned and made sure the house was warm enough.
    The only job he could find was as the gardener for the ritzy private school in the area and as much as he hated it, he swallowed his pride. For Boyeong.
    “Go get washed up for dinner, Honey-Bee.” Yunho washed his hands and started chopping a plate of celery.
    “Do you need help, Daddy?” Boyeong hugged Yunho’s legs.
    “Sure, Honey-Bee.” Yunho lifted her on to the counter. “Peel these oranges for me.” He handed her 5 large oranges and turned back to the celery.
    They finished cooking and ate in silence. They were naturally quiet people. Sunja was bright and loquacious. Boyeong inherited Sunja’s sunny disposition and Yunho’s quiet personality. It was an odd combination.
    Yunho cleaned the kitchen as Boyeong sat on the floor playing with her Tonka truck.
    “You’re the best Daddy ever!” Boyeong jumped up and wrapped her tiny arms around Yunho’s legs.
    “Thank you, Honey-Bee. That means a lot to me.” Yunho lifted her and carried her to the sofa. He laid down slowly cradling her close. He couldn’t help but feel selfish.
    “Why did God take Mommy away from us?” Boyeong asked after a long silence.
    “God isn’t real. Mommy died because of selfish, stupid people.”
    “Eonni from school told us…”
    “She doesn’t know anything. Don’t listen to her fairy stories,” Yunho cut Boyeong off. He was going to have to talk to the day care girls. He understood that it was a Catholic school, but he took the job because he need one, not to immerse his daughter in fallacy.
    “I miss Mommy,” Boyeong whispered.
    “I miss her too, Honey-Bee.” Yunho kissed the top of Boyeong’s head. Yunho carried her to her bed and tucked her in. She managed to weasel two bedtime stories and about a dozen extra kisses out of him.
    Yunho laid on the sofa staring at the ceiling mentally calculating the bills that would be due by the end of the month. Boyeong needed new shoes, too. Hers were getting much too small and worn out. He was sure he wasn’t going to make ends meet this month.
    It was just a matter of swallowing his pride, yet again, and calling his parents for a little help. The least they could do would be get their granddaughter new shoes. He knew his parents were still angry at him.
    The only thing he did right, according to them, was never officially marrying Sunja, though he wanted to. Then they had Boyeong and their own needs got pushed to the back burner. They had planned to marry on Boyeong’s 7th birthday. By then Sunja would have been done with her degree and working. Yunho liked the thought of being a stay at home dad and working on his writing.
    His parents never really liked Sunja; she was just too young. True, Sunja was only 20 and Yunho was 30 when they met, but he honestly believed age was just a number. He was instantly smitten with the bright college from the moment she walked into the bookstore where he was working at the time.
    They started dating right away and Sunja soon found herself pregnant. They made it work. They moved into a small apartment together and Yunho got a second job.
    Yunho got three wonderful years and a beautiful daughter. Then one stupid act of a selfish high-school kid changed his entire life. Sunja had to run to the library to return a book; Yunho had begged her to stay home. It was raining and their car was broken. He even promised he’d bring it back first thing in the morning but Sunja didn’t want to pay the late fee.
    A 10 minute errand cost her life when a drunk kid ran a red light. She spent 20 days on life support until her parents agreed to pull the plug. He started drinking then, unable to cope. He drank himself near to death. It lasted more than a year.
    His sister found him, passed out in the bathroom. Boyeong hungry and crying. She agreed to care for Boyeong until Yunho was well enough. He went to AA and got sober, all for his baby girl.
    Maybe his sister could help him out instead. He hated asking her; she had already done so much for him.


    Yunho didn’t sleep at all. By 4 it was easier to just stay up and make coffee. Boyeong was up at 6 and they had breakfast. Yunho made Boyeong’s lunch and they walked to the school together. He had to mow the lawns and groom the soccer field, so today she had to stay at the day care all day.
    Boyeong hated the day care. The workers themselves were nice, but most of the other kids were the teachers’ kids. They treated Boyeong badly, because she was just the gardener’s daughter.
    There was a new person at the day care, Yunho noted how young he looked. He couldn’t have been more than 18 years old. He made a mental note to ask the principal who the new guy was.
    “Be a good girl, Honey-Bee. I’ll come and have lunch with you, okay?” Yunho knelt in front of Boyeong.
    “Okay Daddy!” Boyeong kissed both of Yunho’s cheeks before running off to go play. He watched her for a few moments before leaving. He had so much work to get done before lunch.
    Yunho hated leaving Boyeong at the day care. He felt like he should be with her all the time.
    He was just about finished mowing the front lawn when he felt his phone vibrate in his pocket.
    “Yeah?” he answered, annoyed.
    “Mr. Jung? I’m Jaejoong, from the day care.”
    “Is something wrong?” Yunho swallowed his panic.
    “Boyeong had an accident. I’m sure she’s fine, but she’s asking for you.”
    “I’ll be right there.” Yunho ran up the hill towards the day care building.
    “Daddy!” Boyeong called as soon as she saw her father open the door. Her tears were drying on her face.
    “What happened Honey-Bee?” Yunho caressed the bump on his daughter’s head. He lifted her up and wiped her face with his sleeve.
    “There was a little accident. Some of the boys were playing and Boyeong got pushed. The boys are in time out. I’m sure Boyeong is fine.”
    Yunho glared at the young man as he spoke. “Did the nurse look at her?” he asked.
    “Yes, she did. She’s confident Boyeong’s fine. Just watch her for signs of a concussion. Like I said on the phone, Boyeong was crying for you.” Jaejoong patted Boyeong’s head lightly.
    Yunho ignored most of what Jaejoong was saying. He focused on Boyeong. “Home?” she asked softly. She buried her head into Yunho’s shoulder.
    “We can’t yet. I got to finish work.”
    Boyeong looked at Yunho with tears in her eyes. She was still hurting and wanted to go home and nap with Daddy.
    “I’m done for the day. I can baby sit until you get out of work,” Jaejoong offered.
    “I don’t even know who you are.”
    “Sorry. I didn’t properly introduce myself. I’m Jaejoong. I just started working this week.”
    “Okay. Why should I trust you with my daughter, at my house?” Yunho was pissed that Boyeong got hurt under this man’s care.
    “I’m a first year medical student. I’m training to be a pediatrician,” Jaejoong struggled. He never had to deal with a parent like Yunho. Most other parents just drop their kids off and left without so much as a good-bye.
    “And Boyeong already got hurt under your care.”
    “I’m sorry.” Jaejoong stuttered. “It truly was an accident. The older boys were playing…”
    “Stop. You sound truly pathetic.” Yunho adjusted Boyeong in his arms and checked her head again. The redness was almost gone and he could barely see the bump. “What’s wrong Honey-Bee?”
    Boyeong didn’t respond. She was an active kid, constantly running around and knocking into stuff. She’s had more scraped knees and bruised elbows than any 10 kids he knew. He had to tell the day care staff not to call him unless she asked for him.
    “Boyeong,” Yunho said with a firm tone. “You need to tell me what’s wrong. I have work I need to finish.”
    “I want to go home!” Boyeong shrieked and started crying again. Yunho rocked her back and forth slowly.
    Yunho turned to Jaejoong. “I swear to god, if anything else happens to her under your care, I will kill you,” Yunho said, his voice like ice.
    “I’ll take very good care of her,” Jaejoong promised.
    “Boyeong, Jaejoong’s going to take you home. Be a good girl and I’ll be home in time for supper.”
    Jaejoong was shocked at the sudden change in Yunho’s tone. He reached out for Boyeong and Yunho reluctantly handed her over.
    “She’s in good hands, Mr. Jung. Please don’t worry.”
    “Are you walking to my place?” Yunho asked.
    “I have my car. There’s already a booster seat in the back. I have nieces and nephews about Boyeong’s age.”

***

    Yunho was exhausted by the time he got home. He hated grooming the  soccer field more than anything.
    He glowered at Jaejoong as he walked into his house. Jaejoong had done the dishes and had started mopping.
    “Is there something wrong with the cleanliness of my house?” Yunho barked.
    “What? No…” Jaejoong stuttered. “I mean, Boyeong just laid down for a nap and I thought…”
    “Don’t think.”
    “I’m sorry.” Jaejoong bowed. “I just wanted to help.”
    “Don’t. You can leave.”
    “I’m so sorry,” Jaejoong apologized again. “Will Boyeong be in day care tomorrow?”
    “I haven’t decided yet.”
    “Alright. I just have to get my coat.”
    Yunho watched Jaejoong trip over the small step in the living room. He couldn’t believe this kid. Once he was sure Jaejoong was gone, Yunho went to check on Boyeong. She was sleeping peacefully in her princess pink bed. Yunho tucked the blanket under her chin.
    “Hi Daddy,” Boyeong yawned.
    “Hey, Honey-Bee. Are you feeling okay?” Yunho sat on the edge of her bed. Boyeong crawled into her father lap.
    “Yeah. I really like Jaejoong Oppa. He’s really nice.”
    Yunho didn’t say anything. He made dinner and they ate together quietly. He waited until after Boyeong was in bed to call his sister.
    “I don’t know, Yunho…” Yeonji said slowly. “Have you called Mom and Dad?”
    “No. I’d prefer not to. I know I ask a lot of you…”
    “Yeah, you really do. I love Boyeong. I really do. She’s my niece and I would do anything for her, but you need to reconcile with Mom and Dad.”
    Yunho was silent. He knew Yeonji was right. And he hated to admit it.
    “At least try to talk to Mom. She misses you and wants to see Boyeong. How about we come over for lunch on Saturday.”
    Yunho looked around his tiny house. There was barely any place for him and Boyeong to sit. “Maybe not here.”
    “I have an extra patio set. I’ll bring it over tomorrow and Saturday we can have a nice lunch, just the four of us.”

 

    Yeonji brought the table over after work on Thursday. Yunho and Boyeong washed it Friday afternoon. He was thankful that their Friday was uneventful.
    Yunho paced back and forth in the tiny kitchen. Boyeong spent most of the morning under foot until Yunho sent her outside to play.
    His mother was nothing if not punctual and was at the house at 12 o’clock on the dot. He took her on an extremely short tour of the house.
    “This is it?” she asked, standing in the kitchen. The look of disgust was plainly visible on her face.
    “I know it’s not much, but it’ll do for now.”
    “Mama,” Yeonji warned gently. “Let’s eat. I’m sure Boyeong is starving by now.” Yeonji lifted Boyeong into a chair and pulled another one out for their mother.
    Yunho sighed and sat down. All he could hope for was a quiet lunch.
    “Yeonji told me you needed help?”
    “Yeah. I’m a little behind on bills. And Boyeong needs new shoes.”
    “Needs? Or does she want new shoes?” Mrs. Jung pursed her lips.
    “Needs. The ones she has are too tight and she’s worn a hole through the right sole.” Yunho bit his tongue. It shouldn’t have mattered if Boyeong wanted or needed new shoes.
    “And just why are you behind on the bills? You work up at that fancy school, aren’t they paying you enough?”
    “Winter was rough. It cost more to heat the house this winter. I’m on a payment plan with the electric company, but the water heater broke two months ago. That set me back.”
    “You should have gotten an apartment,” Mrs. Jung tsked.
    “The court wanted me to get a house. And this was the only one I could afford. I had been saving up, but the heater…”
    “How much do you need?”
    “$600 should get us through. It will pay off the rest of the bill and I’ll be able to get a little ahead.”
    Mrs. Jung pulled out her check book. “I’m writing you a check for $1,000. That should keep you going for a while. I want to be around more often. Your father is still very angry at you. But I want to be a part of my granddaughter’s life.”
    “You know you’re welcome over any time, Mom.”

***

    Sunday morning found Yunho and Boyeong in the shoe store.
    “I like these ones Daddy!” Boyeong picked up a pair of pink glittery Mary Janes.
    “You need practical shoes. Like a pair of sneakers.”
    “Has she been sized recently?” Jaejoong appeared, seemingly out of nowhere.
    “What the hell are you doing here?” Yunho asked.
    “I work here. On the weekends. So, has Boyeong been sized recently?”
    “No,” Yunho replied cautiously. He watched Jaejoong led Boyeong to a chair and slip off her shoes. Jaejoong was patient with the wiggly child.
    “Wait here, please. I think we have a pair of sneakers you both will love.”
    Jaejoong returned with a bright pink box and knelt in front of Boyeong. He helped her step into equally bright pink shoes with lavender glitter stars on the sides. Boyeong giggled and showed off the shoes, bouncing up and down the aisle.
    “How do they feel?” Jaejoong asked with a smile.
    “So good!” Boyeong squealed. “Can I get them, Daddy?”
    Yunho sighed and took a step closer to Jaejoong. “How much do they cost?”
    “They’re on sale this weekend. 65% off, it’ll come to about $23 after tax.”
    “You can them. Can she wear them out of the store?”
    Jaejoong smiled brightly. “Of course. I just need the price tag. Would you like me to toss her old ones?”
    “Yes, please.”
    Boyeong gave Jaejoong a hug. “Can you come have lunch with me and Daddy?”
    “I’m working most of the day,” Jaejoong said gently.
    “Dinner? You can come to dinner at our house.”
    Jaejoong bit his lip. “It’s up to your father,” he replied, giving Yunho a way out.
    Boyeong turned to Yunho. “Please? Can Oppa please come to dinner?”
    Yunho hesitated too long. Boyeong pouted. “Please, Daddy? Pretty please? With a strawberry on top?”
    “Boyeong…”
    “We can make him Jung stew! Oppa, you’ll love Jung stew!” Boyeong turned back to Yunho. “I want to make Oppa Jung stew for dinner tonight.”
    “If it will please the Honey-Bee. We normally eat at 5.”
    “Okay. I get out at 4:30. Thank you, Miss Boyeong for the dinner invitation.”
    Yunho sighed and let Boyeong lead him out of the store. They went grocery shopping and headed home to make the stew.
    Jaejoong knocked on the door at 4:40. Boyeong ran to the door and pulled Jaejoong into the house.
    “Have a seat on the sofa. We’ll be eating outside tonight.”
    “Sounds nice.”
    Jaejoong felt a little awkward as they sat and ate in silence. He never had a quiet dinner in his life. It was nice though. And he was happy to see that Boyeong was a healthy eater. So many kids her age were picky eaters.
    “This is really good.”
    “Thank you. Sunja taught me how to make it.”
    “Boyeong’s mother…” Jaejoong bit his tongue. “I’m sorry.”
    “I knew you’d read our file. Everyone does. And to answer your questions; no we were never married, yes I almost lost custody of Boyeong, no I was not responsible for Sunja’s death and yes I am currently sober.”
    “I sorry. I wasn’t going to ask.”
    “Everyone does,” Yunho said softly.
    “Daddy, it’s movie time.”
    “We do the dishes first.” Yunho cleared the table.
    Jaejoong watched as Yunho and Boyeong washed the dishes together. Yunho washed and Boyeong dried, sitting on the counter and sacking them in a neat little pile.
    “Pick out a movie. And not ‘The Little Mermaid’! We’ve watched that one about a hundred times already.”
    Boyeong giggled and ran into her room.
    “You don’t have to stay for this. It’s just something we do on Sundays. We watch a movie instead of read bedtime stories.”
    “Are you going to stay, Oppa? We’re watching ‘The Fox and the Hound’.” Boyeong handed the DVD to Yunho.
    “That’s my favorite movie,” Jaejoong smiled. They settled on the sofa, Boyeong wedged between the adults, leaning against Jaejoong’s side.
    Yunho had never seen her take to any one they way she took to Jaejoong. He watched Jaejoong watch the movie. The young man was incredibly beautiful. Yunho sighed to himself and suppressed the urge to wrap his arm around both his daughter and Jaejoong.
    Half way through the movie Boyeong was fast asleep. Yunho moved to lift her.
    “I’ll get her.” Jaejoong stood slowly and carried Boyeong to bed. He tucked her in and kissed her head. Watching Jaejoong being so tender with his daughter made Yunho’s heart skip a beat.
    “It’s really not fair,” Jaejoong said. He pulled Boyeong’s door closed with a soft click.
    “What’s not fair?” Yunho questioned.
    “I know everything about you and you know nothing about me.”
    “I don’t think I want to know anything about you.” Yunho stepped away from Jaejoong.
    “That’s what I figured,” Jaejoong sighed sadly. “Thank you for dinner.” Jaejoong stepped out side.
    “Jaejoong, wait.” Yunho cursed himself. He knew he was going to regret this. “Would you like to get dinner sometime? Just the two of us? I’ll find a sitter and…”
    “I’d like that a lot.” Jaejoong smiled.
    Yunho watched Jaejoong leave. He swore and turned to go back into his house. He picked up the phone and called Yoochun.
    “If you’re not busy I need you to come and beat sense into me,” Yunho explained.
    “I can be over in 10. What did you do?”
    “I made a date.”

    Yoochun reached for his cup of coffee. “Dude, that is the most ed up thing you’ve done this week. How old is this kid?”
    “I don’t even know. He’s in med school, so maybe, 20?”
    “HE?! I thought you were over guys after the disaster that was Junsu.”
    “I thought I was too. But then again, I also thought I would be with Sunja for the rest of my life. And look how wrong I was about that.”
    “Damn, don’t be like that. What does Boyeong have to say about all this?” Yoochun sipped his coffee slowly.
    “She’s head over heels for him. I’ve never seen her so open with a person.”
    “So go on a date. Have fun. I’ll peanut sit for you.”
    “I just feel so guilty.” Yunho ran his hands through his hair.
    “Don’t. Sunja would want you to be happy. This wallowing in your own misery isn’t good for you.”
    “Do you really think so?”
    “Of course. Sunja was like a sister to me. I know she would want you to be happy and dating again.”
    “I still love her,” Yunho admitted.
    “I know. And you’ll always love her. But that doesn’t mean you can’t love another person.”
    “I’m always terrified someone at that damned school is going to say something to Child Services.”
    “Why would they?”
    “I don’t know. Call it paranoia. I saw there is this one teacher there who only talks to me in hopes of catching me drunk.”
    “No one thinks that of you.”
    “I just can’t lose her.”
    “No one on this planet loves that peanut more than you do and they would be stupid to take her away from you. I’ll be over for dinner tomorrow. I’ll see ya then.”

    Yunho was planting the rose garden while Boyeong was laying in the grass coloring. He was so immersed in the roses that he didn’t notice a figure walking up the hill towards them.
    “You two missed lunch,” Jaejoong said. Yunho fell backwards. Jaejoong laughed. “Sorry. I didn’t mean to scare you.” He handed Yunho a bag of food.
    “Thanks. I completely forgot.”
    “No problem. Boyeong, come get something to eat.”
    Boyeong crawled over and sat on Jaejoong’s lap. He handed her a sandwich.
    “So, when are we going on that date?” Jaejoong asked.
    “I need to work out a few things with my sitter, but probably on Friday.”
    “Good.” Jaejoong leaned forward and kissed Yunho’s cheek. “I have to get back to work. I’ll see ya later. 
    Yunho touched his cheek and watch Jaejoong walk away. 
    Sunja once said that love was like a garden and you had to sow a lot a of seeds and tend it carefully and plan for the worst storms because in the end it’s worth it. A garden of love, she would say, was the greatest thing you could nurture, because it made the world more beautiful and peace.
    Boyeong was Yunho’s Honey-Bee and she found the sweetest flower in the garden and charmed herself into Jaejoong’s heart.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I don't really have much to say about this one, except it's one of the longest I've written in a long time.