Closer to My Side

Kimi To Kaze To Mikazuki

 

Tomohisa followed Maki with his eyes. Not that he was a creep or anything like that. It’s just that she kept pacing back and forth in front of him, constantly looking out the window and then back to pacing back and forth.

“Maki, could you stay put, won’t you grow tired of doing that?”

Maki only gave him a glare in answer but her features softened after a short while. She took a seat beside him on the sofa, resting her elbow on the arm rest. “It’s just that it’s already 8 and Mirai is not back yet.”

“She’s a big girl, let her have some fun with her friends.” Tomohisa said.

With a sigh, Maki nodded her head. “Yeah you’re right, I’ve got to stop babying her.” She stood up once again. Tomohisa thought she’d return to pacing back and forth but saw instead that Maki chose to situate herself by the window, looking out onto the street. He took his chance and looked at her while she was too busy to notice him. Gosh, was it possible that she grew more beautiful day after day? Her beauty wasn’t explosive, it was subtle, the way her hair fell over her face. It was starting to grow longer since the first time he saw her and he just wanted to thread his fingers through them, feel the silky strands against his skin. Another thing was her eyes. They were beguiling and soft. Was it possible to get drunk from just looking?

“Tomohisa!”

“Huh?” His drunken stupor was stopped abruptly when he realized Maki was already looking at him. . How many times had she noticed him staring at her? She might think he was a ert or something.

“Are you alright? Why are you turning red?” She asked him.

Mirai was a med student right? Tomohisa made a mental note to ask the girl if his condition was normal. Or was he just like that every time Maki was around? He cleared his throat and tried explaining himself. “Is it hot in here?” For added effects he tried fanning himself by repeatedly pulling the collar of his shirt. “I think it’s hot in here…”

“Hot? It’s freezing!” Maki exclaimed softly, her eyebrows furrowed. She approached him. Tomohisa felt himself gulp. Now he was feeling hotter. He flinched slightly when Maki placed her palm on his forehead.

“You don’t seem to have a fever.” She said.

God she was so close. Could she hear his heart beating fast? For the nth time, Tomohisa gulped his nervousness away. “You’re heart is beating fast…” Maki said. Now her hand was on top of his chest. There was no control left on Tomohisa’s body, he held her hand that was on his chest, shocking Maki for a while before he moved close and planted a soft kiss on Maki’s lips. They were both shocked, but then, Tomohisa felt Maki’s eyelashes flutter, her eyes closing and she responded to kiss. His heart was literally going to beat out of his chest but he didn’t care. He circled one arm around her waist while Maki held on to the back of his head. He moved his lips, capturing hers and she gasped when he bit her lower lip, allowing his tongue to enter and brush against hers.

“Maki-nee!”

They pulled away quickly just as Ryosuke came into view. He didn’t see did he?

“Ryou what is it?”

“Mirai called, she said something happened we have to fetch her!”

Tomohisa and Maki looked at each other first before standing up and going after Ryosuke who was already out the door.

=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

With Tomohisa’s car, they headed to their destination where Maki felt herself go pale at knowing where they were going.

“What happened Ryosuke? Why are we heading to the hospital?” She asked tearily. If anything happened to Mirai she wouldn’t forgive herself!

The young man was just as confused as she was. He shook his head slowly, looking gravely worried. “She said they got into some trouble and now they’re at the hospital.”

Maki would rather find out more clearly and just waited until they reached the hospital. The moment they arrived, Ryosuke bounded out of the car and into the emergency room doors where they saw Mirai and her friends sitting at the waiting area.

“Ryou!” Mira exclaimed. She jumped up from her chair and went over to hug the young man, her arms going around his neck. Ryosuke hugged back, Mirai’s hair. And after that Mirai went over and hugged her sister.

“There were some hooligans outside the karaoke bar. We were heading outside and they started picking on us.” Mirai said shakily. Suzuka stood up to continue the story.

“Ryo, one of our friends got stabbed.”

=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

Maki, Mirai and Ryosuke stayed at the hospital while Tomohisa volunteered to bring every single one of Mirai’s friends home first. Clearly tired from all the happenings, Mirai fell asleep, her head resting on Ryosuke’s shoulder. The latter sighed as he saw, Mirai’s wrists slightly chafing. Apparently while the boys fought with some of the hooligans, some held the three girls together with a rope binding their wrists.

Tomohisa returned just as Ryo’s parents arrived. Maki took the liberty of explaining things, not wanting to trouble her younger sister more.

“She must be exhausted…” Tomohisa commented, occupying the chair where Maki was previously sitting. Ryosuke slowly turned his head, careful not to wake Mirai up from the movement. “Yes. She needs a good night’s rest.”

They stayed quiet for a while. Tomohisa Mirai’s hair carefully. He had grown to care deeply for the young woman as if she was his own sister.

In a short time Maki had come approaching them with a tired look on her face. She turned to her sister first, worry replaced her tired expression. Then she turned her face forward to Tomohisa. “Let’s head on home, it’s been a rough night for her.”

The man nodded, getting his car keys ready while Ryosuke gently woke Mirai up so they could get on the car.

The ride back was silent. Tomohisa kept his eyes on the road, Maki kept checking on Mirai who was wide awake now but kept quiet, her head rested again on Ryosuke’s shoulder.

=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

Tomohisa sat down in his room while he heard Maki and Ryosuke helping Mirai to her room. As expected the young woman was still pretty shaken and needed comforting. He stayed sitting, just listening to their voices muffled by the walls. After a few moments a knock came to his door. His head lifted slowly, about to answer but the door had already opened. Maki allowed herself in, closing the door behind her. There were no exchange of words but Tomohisa understood the situation once the woman sat beside him and buried her face in his chest, hugging him close. Breathing in slowly, he held her close before slowly edging her so that they were lying down on the bed.

“How’s Mirai?” He asked her quietly.

Maki still had her face buried but now in the crook of his neck, answering. “Ryosuke’s comforting her and I think it’s best if he did.” Her words echoed through the silence for a minute or so. She breathed again, continuing. “I was so worried Tomo, I know what happened with Ryusei-kun was bad but what if that happened to Mirai?” She lifted her face to him. He shushed her and her hair, comforting her.

“I know, but let’s be thankful now that Mirai wasn’t harmed much.” He was feeling much more courageous with his action, pulling Maki closer to his side and kissing the top of her head. “Rest now Maki-chan. Talk with Mirai tomorrow but for now rest.” In a few seconds he could hear Maki’s soft breaths indicating that she was already asleep.